The Lost Dragon 33

by soundofmind

Chapter 33: Somebody Get This Girl a Coat Please

It was so cold. Clandestine could feel the snow against her skin. She wasn't dressed for this weather, and the snow was seeping through her shirt, and her pants, chilling her to the bone. None of her muscles wanted to move. She was molded to the earth, and it held her gently, like a grave, quietly beckoning her to return to where she belonged. A creature of times long gone by. Someone who should've been dead a long time ago.

The fire inside her was like a flickering flame on dying embers of a once-roaring fire. Ashes, ashes, and nothing left to burn. Finally, the cold would overtake her, and it would be over.

A light fell on her face, at first, dim, and then growing stronger.

The sun was rising.

Clandestine opened her eyes partially, feeling the bed of snow against her frozen cheek. She parted her chapped lips, feeling them split and crack as she let out a shuddered breath.

Was she dreaming again?

She could see the faint cloud come out of her nose, and she turned from her side, onto her back.

The sky was a painting of orange, yellow, and pink, that were just beginning to fade into a morning blue. It was cloudless, and the sun felt like it was the size of the ocean, coming up to swallow her.

As the faint warmth of the sun's rays prodded at her face and nose, feeling was starting to return.

Something had happened.

There was fire, blazing. An all-consuming flame all around her. She could remember the heat, and how it flowed through her veins, and she'd felt alive in a way she never had before. But as quickly as it came, it was gone, and she couldn't remember what followed.

Clandestine stared up at the sky, and she started to shiver.

Then it hit her.

She wasn't in the cell anymore. She was free.

A rush of relief washed over her, and she shot up, sitting in the snow amidst the tall pines. Her head started spinning, and her stomach groaned loudly, reminding her it was empty, and her tongue felt thick and dry, like a sticky paste. Her lungs ached, and she looked down at the snow, thinking.

With trembling hands, she cupped a handful of snow and tried to remember. Breathe in, breathe out. Fan the flame. Let the heat grow, slowly. It was okay if it took time. She just needed enough heat to --

The snow started to melt in her hands. Before it even finished, she started slurping, not caring that the water was still cold going down. The water was like life, coating her mouth and throat, shocking her senses back into alignment. She drank until it was gone.

As she let out a heavy sigh, she looked around, realizing something about the trees felt familiar.

She had been here before. Not in person, but in a dream. Or something like a dream.

She pushed herself to her feet and hobbled towards a tree, looking up at the steep incline behind her. The base of the mountain. That was where she'd been before the unicorn found her.

Clandestine started to look around expectantly, searching the snowy landscape for a horse, but nothing showed. It was just her, in a thin shirt and thin pants. No jacket, and leaky boots, exhausted, in the snow.

She still wasn't sure if this was real life or not.

Clandestine pinched her arm as hard as she could. She hadn't realized how numb her skin was until she did, because the feeling was dull, and it hurt, but not as much as it should've. She slapped her arm, trying to increase blood-flow, but every movement was starting to hurt, and pins and needles started biting at her hands and feet again, but worse than when she was in the cell, now that she was standing.

She groaned and started moving. The only way it was going to get better was if she started moving.

She started trudging along the edge of the mountain, just focusing on putting one foot in front of the other. Her head was feeling light again, and she felt weightless, and yet like she weighed a million pounds, all at the same time. The more she walked, the more her feet started to weigh her down, and her eyes felt heavy.

She'd only just woken up, but she felt the pull of sleep dragging her back down. Lulling her to lie down again.

She finally stopped, leaning against a rock jutting out from the earth, breathing hard.

What she would give for a blanket. For a fire.

She held her hand out in front of her, trying to focus enough to draw a flame, but nothing came. She was spent.

She slid down the side of the rock and closed her eyes. Just for a moment. She would close her eyes just for a moment.

And then she was looking into Svida's eyes. Large, green, burning, and boring into the depths of her soul. Seeing right through her. A booming voice roared in her mind.

"Wake up."

Clandestine's eyes shot open, and she shuddered, grabbing the rock beside her for support.

Carter would probably find her again. She was on her own. She had to keep going. She didn't know where she was going, or how long it would take to get there, but Svida's warning echoed, pushing and pulling her forward.

"I don't know where I'm going," Clandestine whispered, taking another shaky step. "I don't think I can make it."

Tears should've sprung to her eyes, but she was too dehydrated. It just stung.

"I don't think I can make it," she said again. She didn't know who she was even trying to do this for. James was gone. Everyone was gone. She had nobody left. She was back at square one, again, and she still didn't know what was going on.

Clandestine didn't know who she was or what she was fighting for. All she ever wanted was to be a monster hunter, and she couldn't even seem to do that without making life hard for other people. And they'd all leave or were taken away.

Clandestine wished she could cry.

She sniffed and fell to her knees.

She couldn't fight it anymore. She wanted to sleep. Everything hurt.

As her head hit the snow and she closed her eyes, she thought of James, and she thought of cowboy, and she thought of Lynette. She thought of Sylva and she thought of Svida.

Why was a dragon talking to her anyway? Why did she need to find her?

The image came to her mind again, and she was back in the cave, under the mountain. Svida met her eyes with a weary earnest. This time, Clandestine was lying on the floor, looking up at Svida's chin, and her giant nostrils.

"Please. I need your help. I don't have much time," Svida pleaded.

A dragon needed her help.

What could Clandestine do?

"I'm dying," Svida said, her voice weak. "Please, hurry. I'm so sorry."

Clandestine was sorry too.

"I don't have the strength," Clandestine whispered.

Svida looked at Clandestine with more compassion than she though a dragon was capable, and then, in an instant, the image shifted.

Where once, a giant, fiercely red dragon stood, now stood a woman.

She had light brown skin, just like Clandestine, and vibrant green eyes. She was tall, lean, and wiry, and her hair was long and grey, almost touching the floor. She wore a simple brown coat over a long white tunic, and a necklace with a blazing red pendant shaped like a circle. On bare feet, she walked up to Clandestine and extended a hand to help her up.

Even though Svida looked old, with both smile and frown lines creasing her face, there was this terrifying, hidden strength about her.

When Clandestine grabbed her hand, she could feel it.

Svida pulled her up into a hug. Clandestine leaned into it.

"You're so close," Svida whispered in her ear. "Just a little further. I promise."

Clandestine felt the dry sting of tears that wouldn't come again, and she nodded into Svida's shoulder.

"Promise?" Clandestine mumbled.

"Promise."

Clandestine opened her eyes, finding herself standing, back out in the snow, with a small measure of renewed strength.

She took in a deep breath and kept going.

Shady wrote a review...

the weather report predicts sad vibes, folks

Sound. I have given you so many sad vibes. Sticky was adorable, but it is not enough to give you permission to break my heart. I need you to, just, not, mkay?

She wasn't dressed for this weather, and the snow was seeping through her shirt, and her pants, chilling her to the bone.

I just wanted to say I REALLY like your imagery here! The "seeping" gives the perfect vibes and makes me uncomfy because I know e x a c t l y this feeling and I hate it more than anything and it makes me feel really bad for her <33

Ashes, ashes, and nothing left to burn.

I really like what you're going for here -- all her fodder for the fire is all burnt up and leaves her with nothing. It's a good image. But, at the same time, your repetition of "ashes, ashes" here made my mind go "WE ALL FALL DOWN" and makes this a much less serious take-away than it should have been. I'd suggest rephrasing this a bit so it hit a little deeper emotionally instead of making my mind jump to a nursery rhyme.

~ ~ ~

OoOO! Mysterious chapter! I like it!

I still feel SO bad for poor Clandestine and want her to get out of prison and away from McJerkFace, but it is so endearing to go back and forth perspectives like we've been getting. Like, it's SO cute that James is so singularly focused on finding Clandestine and worrying about if she's alive and if he can help her; and then we flip over to Clandestine and she's having the same vibes and misses James and wishes she could have done something.

Like, objectively, both of them are in sucky places in life right now. Clandestine in a worse place physically, obviously, but neither of them are in particularly good headspaces. And it's really sweet that they both care so much more about the other than they do about themselves.

I really hope you're gonna let us meet Svida for realsies before this novel ends >.>

That's all I've got!

~Shady 8)

soundofmind says...

hahahaha MCJERKFACE,, i lov ur nicknames :,) and yeah i sorri dis chapter so sad!

SilverNight wrote a review...

Hey sound! <33333333333

(I did read the last part of the chapter, though it's out of the Green Room. Might still head back to review it later, but I'll do this for now! c:)

*le gasp* Clandestine?? is?? outside??

I wonder if she was left for dead by Carter... or escaped and just can't remember, which didn't seem too likely, given how her last chapter ended? Or... maybe they got something from her. o.o The phrase "it held her gently, like a grave" is also one of my favorite lines in this chapter! It's unexpected yet understandable in this scenario.

The sun was rising.

I like how "ashes, ashes, and nothing left to burn" reminded me of "ashes, ashes, we fall down" and so it felt more poetic! It was also really hopeful when we read that the sun is rising and light is shining on her, so the worries about her freezing are fading.

Then it hit her.

It's about time this girl gets something to drink, slurp

I really don't see how she could be free, because Carter would never let her go, the others aren't there yet, so... I sense there's some evil plan of yours here. The last thing we saw from her perspective was Carter smiling and the door closing, which doesn't seem to mean she escaped... Clandestine's got to have something he wants, and I think he got it, whatever it was. I have an idea about what it could be, but I'll have to wait for something ~dramatic~ and see. :P

Ooooh, we're seeing it! Anyone in those thin clothes has a very high chance of getting frostbite, especially if they've just kinda been tossed in the snow, but it came to mind that maybe that can't happen to fire mages or fire dragon inheritors! That would actually be really interesting.

I like your use of opposites here with how she feels like she's weightless and heavy at the same time!

Clandestine wished she could cry.

She sniffed and fell to her knees.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh poor Clandestine, it's been so long since we saw her happily hunting for monsters :'(

A dragon needed her help.

What could Clandestine do?

Nuuuuuuuuuuuu, this is sad :c

I feel really bad for Svida, even though I've barely seen her and don't even know what she's dying of. ;-;

oh this is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, they both needed hugs *heart melts* :')

"Promise?" Clandestine mumbled.

"Promise."

Ahhh, great ending! It's the perfect mix of desperate and hopeful, and I'm really, really excited to see where it goes next. c:

I'll be back as soon as I can for the next bit! You got this, sound <3

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:46 pm
Dossereana wrote a review...

Hi @soundofmind I thought that it was about time I gave one or two of your chapters a review, so lets get right into it. I just want to make it clear I have not reviewed in awhile so I could be a bit rusty. This review might just be about what I like about the chapter.

It was so cold. Clandestine could feel the snow against her skin. She wasn't dressed for this weather, and the snow was seeping through her shirt, and her pants, chilling her to the bone.
Your description is really good I can just imagine this all playing out, its summer where I am and you made me feel like I was standing in ice. Pure Clandestine she wasn't expecting this.

She was molded to the earth, and it held her gently, like a grave, quietly beckoning her to return to where she belonged.
Wow your sending real chills going up and down my spine here. At the moment I'm just think like is she going to be okay is she going to live or not. Was the mention of a grave a hint.

She parted her chapped lips, feeling them split and crack as she let out a shuddered breath.
This sounds pain full, I could feel like imagine her lips almost frozen together like that.

Now I'm just like okay she's going to be okay, it just might take a little time for her to get warm by the sun.

She could remember the heat, and how it flowed through her veins, and she'd felt alive in a way she never had before. But as quickly as it came, it was gone, and she couldn't remember what followed.
That was a sudden change, I mean wow give this girl a break, don't you think she has been though enough already. I hope she's just dreaming. I doubt it though.

Her head started spinning, and her stomach groaned loudly, reminding her it was empty, and her toungue felt thick and dry, like a sticky paste. Her lungs ached, and she looked down at the snow, thinking.
Wow this part was just going into more depth of how in pain and in need of warmth and food and water she is in. One thing though with your spelling with one of the words. Witch is the word in bold.
toungue/ tongue
So just a slight spelling error really not bad, and everybody does it.

Hm this is just got more interesting, I think she might have had a vision instead of a dream.

That was where she'd been before the unicorn found her.
One wonders if that will magically happen now.

She slapped her arm, trying to increase bloodflow, but every movement was starting to hurt, and pins and needles started biting at her hands and feet again, but worse than when she was in the cell, now that she was standing.
I think I would've been dead by now, so I'm just going to guess that she is in a dream now. also one tiny problem with bloodflow.
bloodflow/ blood flow
See it just needed a space, and trust me I do that really often.

Her head was feeling light again, and she felt weightless, and yet like she weighed a million pounds, all at the same time.
By this time I'm might have just fainted and died before I woke up again.

I have nothing that I hate or anything about this line, its just I think I can make a suggestion on how maybe to word it better.

What she would give for a blanket. For a fire./ What she would give for was a blanket. Along with a fire. See I haven't changed much, I just want to make it sound better. If you don't think it helped that is fine.

Well that is all that I can say about this chapter, it was great to read. Your description is great, I didn't feel like you were missing anything. If I was being harsh or anything that put you down, I'm really sorry please forgive me. I hope you carry on with this big writing spree of yours. <33 :D

I hope that you have a great Day or night what ever side of the world your on.

@Vulcanite siring over the green room sparing shards of reviews as she went

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much for your feedback and reactions!! Haha, yes, Clandestine is struggling, and teetering between life and death :,)

Also omg - the spelling and grammar stuff I thought I fixed already with Grammarly but APPARENTLY? The changes didn't stick? WACK! Time to go through and edit manually. Sad!

I'm glad you liked the description! It's definitely something I've been trying to improve on!

Dossereana says...

Yeah grammarly doesn't always work sadly. I'm glad that the review was okay.

You won't know the outcome of something unless you try it.
— manilla