The Lost Dragon 3.3

by soundofmind

Chapter Three Part 3: Please, For the Love of All Things Good and Peaceful Don't Let it Be Goblins

With as much as I like to indulge myself in introspection and contemplation of what my future could possibly hold, sometimes I lose track of... myself. As of late, it's become often. More often than not I have to remind myself of who I am instead of who I'm not, and as more time passes the more lines blur.

Everyone is guilty of putting on a mask for certain people in the name of keeping the peace, appealing to someone's interests, or some other selfish motive. But few people make it a lifestyle to never wear a face of their own. Maybe because of the hell it makes for your mind, or the hurricane of confusion it creates for your identity. Maybe because even if they do so, they wholly intend for it to be temporary, or that, in truth, they are pretending to be who they desire to become. So that eventually it actually will be who they are, and not just who they want to be. So that eventually, they will become the lie.

But as for me... I am a liar in the most elaborate of ways. My only justification being that I am not lying to myself.

Or at least... I sincerely hope I'm not.

--

It was peaceful as the sun was setting. The soft hum of crickets could be heard as the edge of the golden sun lit up the sky with a gradient of orange and pink hues, before it would hide itself behind the face of the earth. Clandestine and Matt had both made themselves comfortable in the two rocking chairs looking out at the farm on the porch, while Laura and Kaleb were already making their way to bed.

Clandestine took in a deep breath and sighed as she leaned back into the chair, and started rocking it back and forth with the steady movement of her feet. She was caught up in the pretty view when Matt spoke up.

"It'll be a good idea to keep an eye on the cattle," he said quietly, looking out at the little silhouettes of cows out in the field. "They sense stuff a lot sooner than we do."

Clandestine nodded her head as she took note of the cowboy's advice. "Well if they start to scatter of something, we can check it out. Or maybe I can check it out. I mean, if it's goblins or worms, either really sucks. You've gotta be seriously unlucky to have both simultaneously running around and destroying your farm."

Matt hummed in agreement.

"I mean, with worms it's like, there's just the regular sized ones," Clandetine added, making a motion in the air as to how big they were. She drew a circle that made it look like they'd be as big as a person. "But then there's the queen worms, and those are the really big ones. They could probably like, easily carve out a small pond in the ground just by nomming in a circle for a second, haha."

She laughed, imagining a giant worm chasing its tail. But her laugh wavered when she saw that Matt didn't look so amused. It was probably because he had a much scarier image in mind.

"But uh, I mean, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!" she said with what she tried to make as a reassuring smile, but probably just looked awkward. She gave a weak laugh. There was a pause. A long pause that hung in the air between her and Matt that seemed to make her more and more nervous with each passing second, despite Matt looking completely normal as he looked out at the field with a blank expression.

She cleared her throat. "S-so! Uh! Goblins though, they can get pretty intense. You ever had any trouble with goblins out here in the desert? I know it ain't really by their land, so they don't have much reason to mess with humans when they don't want to but uh, I mean... if they're out here now. Maybe I'm wrong."

Her eyes flickered from looking out at the farm to over at Matt, who somehow looked worlds more relaxed than she felt, despite being the one with the bitten-up arm. She had to admit though that she wasn't as worried about what was living beneath the farm as she was about sitting through the rest of the night in silence. She knew that as soon as the sun went down, they'd have to keep quiet so that they didn't alert the monsters to their presence, but it was a lot different doing that just by herself verses with another person.

There was a part of her that desperately wanted to... connect. And she was aware of it. But she couldn't seem to reign it in.

Matt looked thoughtful for a moment as he waited an agonizingly long few seconds before answering.

"Honestly, I haven't run into goblins much, since they mostly live out in the forests, and you know," he gestures out in front of them with a wave of his arm. "They stick to their land. But there was one time when me and some folk were moving cattle and ended up passing through some of their territory. We were lucky that we only ran into a few scouts it looked like, but they took out three of our steers, and they sure spooked all the cattle. We wouldn't have had so much trouble getting away - since they goblins weren't ridin' nothin' and we were on horseback - if we hadn't have a whole herd 'uh cattle with us."

Clandestine listened intently, nodding as he told the short story.

"Oh wow, so you really haven't seem 'em much at all, have you?"

Matt smirked a little. "You sound disappointed."

Clandestine blinked rapidly for a second and shook her head. "Pff- what? No! I'm not disappointed, I'm surprised! Only one encounter throughout your whole life? What, did you just like, never leave the towns or adventure or anything?"

Matt smiled and sighed, looking over at her briefly. "I can count the number of times I've seen 'em on one hand. Not everyone lives an as exciting life as you do, you know."

Clandestine stuttered, blowing a little raspberry through her lips as she pushed herself up in her chair defensively only to plop back down, flustered. "I know that!" she said, then looking down, and muttering again. "I know that." She gripped the arms of the rocking chair and looked back out at the fields. The sun was starting to disappear on the horizon. "I'm just glad that... well, you sound like you understand why I don't like messing with goblins is all. They’ve always been at odds with humans with the turf wars and all that mess, so they’re really not the sort you want to make... personal enemies with. That's why I'm just really hoping they're not here," she said, voice tapering off into a quiet mumble at her last sentence.

Matt didn't reply with anything but a hum again. Clandestine sighed.

"But if they are," she continued, looking back at him. "We should really shut up," she laughed a little. "We don't uh, want them to hear us and all."

"Alright," Matt said, nodding in agreement before he looked over to her expectantly. It took her a second to realize that he was waiting for her to say something - probably like, make a decision on what to do next. Clandestine blinked.

"We uh, let's just like, sleep in shifts again," she suggested. "This time we can just wake the other person up if something happens. Otherwise uh," she smiled slightly, itching the back of her neck, under her ponytail. "I'll probably talk the whole night away. You've probably figured out by now that I like to exchange stories."

Matt grinned a little bit as he nodded, and although she knew it made most sense to do a stake-out in quiet, a little bit of her heart sank when he didn't seem to fight it, or even say that he liked telling stories too.

"Sounds good to me," he said. And Clandestine just smiled. A sad, desperately lonely smile.

--

Clandestine poked at one of the holes in the ground with a pouted frown. Nothing. There was no signs of anything. And the night prior had, sadly, been entirely uneventful. She called out over to Matt, who was looking at a hole a little ways down from the barn.

"Find anything?" she yelled.

Matt lifted up his good hand, giving her a thumbs down.

"Ugh," Clandestine groaned to herself. "Come on over then! Let's check inside the barn."

Matt nodded and jogged over, meeting her at the door as she slid it open. They heard a little thump as soon as they looked inside, and to both of their surprise, there was a little goblin, crouching as it stood atop a pile of crates.

Both they and the goblin froze for a solid second as the goblin's yellow eyes met Clandestine's. Even though it was a goblin, it... didn't look very intimidating. It was small, and wiry, and its leathery green skin looked dull in the shade of the barn. Its long, floppy ears almost could've looked cute, if they weren't paired with a large jaw and an underbite that showed off all it's bottom pointy teeth.

Yet, the second that the goblin met Clandestine's eyes, it looked away, and hopped down behind the crates with a quick and swift leap. Clandestine hurried forward, speeding through the barn and jumping around to look behind the crates where only a small, slimy hole remained.

The goblin was gone.

She let out a frustrated grumble of a noise and lunged at the hole, looking down into it with frustration before she stood back up. She looked over to Matt, who was right behind her. She let out a long sigh as she half rolled her eyes.

"Well... now we know for sure there's goblins."

DreamyAlice wrote a review...

Hey Alice is here to review!

Clandestine is never going to be out of my favorite characters list. She is funny as well as smart. I am quite interested how they are going to fight the Goblins and sandworms and maybe Clandestine will act a bit serious while fighting them.

You nailed it! You wrote such a simple thing in such a unique way. I thought you will write this kind of message in the starting of all the chapters when I read the chapter one. It was fun to read an emotional stuff like that

Bye!!!

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:18 am
Carina says...

OMG.... THAT GOBLIN

IT'S BABY YODA

also poor clanny just wants to connect w james and stay up all night listening to his stories : (

soundofmind says...

BABY YODA HAS ME SCREAMING

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am

And it is time for the end of chapter 3.

First Impression: So goblins confirmed and a very cryptic opening paragraph. Interesting...

Anyway getting straight to the action,

This is some really emotional stuff right there. It has a massive impact. You can feel it very well. And it lends some real depth to the character of Matt. Things are going to get really interesting down the line by the sound of it.

That's a very good point. How did this farmer get so unlucky?

That is a really funny image right there.

They’ve always been at odds with humans with the turf wars and all that mess, so they’re really not the sort you want to make... personal enemies with. That's why I'm just really hoping they're not here," she said, voice tapering off into a quiet mumble at her last sentence.

That's some very neatly slipped in worldbuilding right there. Also makes this plot possibly even more complex and therefore more interesting.

We are definitely running headlong into a lot of hidden drama in Clandestine's life somewhere down the line.

So did they hear a sound in the barn? Did they just get lucky? Why did they even come out to check that area? I feel like it would be better if we knew this information too.

It was small, and wiry, and its leathery green skin looked dull in the shade of the barn. Its long, floppy ears almost could've looked cute, if they weren't paired with a large jaw and an underbite that showed off all it's bottom pointy teeth.

Great description.

Yes at least we know that.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: This continues to get more and more interesting in terms of the world. You seem to have built quite the extensive network of creatures and backstories here. And that's about all that's happened here. We've been deliberating around these worms for quite a while now. Hopefully the next chapter sees them clashing with these worms and/or goblins.

Mageheart wrote a review...

I'm back again! I'm planning on getting more reviews done this Review Day, but this one will probably be my last for the next few hours.

Small Comments

Can I hug this guy? Please? The poor guy needs it. <3

I don't know if you intended this or not, but I just remember what you told me about Matt's childhood. I feel like this is something he would have learned from that, and him saying it quietly makes it feel all the more angsty. I wonder what he's thinking as he's talking to Clanny right now?

But her laugh wavered when she saw that Matt didn't look so amused. It was probably because he had a much scarier image in mind.

Nah, he just usually looks like that. :P

Her eyes flickered from looking out at the farm to over at Matt, who somehow looked worlds more relaxed than she felt, despite being the one with the bitten-up arm.

I love this little detail so much, especially if it's because of the reason I mentioned earlier with the cattle. <3

It's called love, Clanny.

Not everyone lives an as exciting life as you do, you know.

And Clandestine just smiled. A sad, desperately lonely smile.

Is that some Clanny angst I spy with my little eye?

Clanny, what do you mean? That's what makes it even more adorable. :P

The goblin was gone.

Interesting~

Overall Comments

We still don't know why the goblins are so far away from their territory, but I'm starting to suspect that they're using the sandworm holes to their advantage. If they take care of the sandworm, they can have the perfect tunneling system. And while I don't know how big that particular hole is, I'm guessing they're just small enough to fit through it. It's a pretty smart move, if you ask me!

(Or maybe there's only goblins, and the slimy stuff is something they use to tunnel.)

I enjoyed this chapter much more than the last, especially since we really got into Clanny's perspective. I feel like the little entry at the beginning would awkwardly cut the chapter into two parts if you left it there in the final draft, so you might want to either make this an entirely new chapter or post that part earlier on, since it's vague enough to work at the very beginning of Chapter 3 instead of at this part.

Your grammar is looking great, the angst and OTP is going strong, and I love the description of the goblin and their first meeting with it! I can't wait to read more of your novel later. <3

soundofmind says...

I don't know if you intended this or not, but I just remember what you told me about Matt's childhood. I feel like this is something he would have learned from that, and him saying it quietly makes it feel all the more angsty.

; ))))))))

bless u and your reviews mage

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:04 am
Omni wrote a review...

Welcome back sound! Let’s jump in! Hopefully this’ll bring in more excitement than the last chapter part.

So, I like what the beginning is talking about, but it just has problems that happen a lot in first drafts, especially when you’re in a time crunch. Still, I’m gonna point them out. You repeat often and more in the first paragraph, and in general the first paragraph is something that’s trying too hard to send a message. But, I get what you’re talking about! Sometimes people focus too much on the future to be able to experience the present. Regarding the next part of the message, I think James doesn’t quite realize that those “masks” are a part of who we are, and all of the collective masks as a whole is what creates our personality. We make masks for everything, including ourselves. And, boooyyy James you are so lying to yourself. Why have to make a persona like that so much? Do you even know who you are?

I like how Clandestine acknowledges that she wants to connect with Matt, and how she really doesn’t want to be silent the entire night because it’ll be so awkward for her. I’ve been there, girl. Sometimes silence is comfortable, but sometimes it’s completely uncomfortable, even with people you’ve known for awhile.

Well if they start to scatter of something, we can check it out.

Or*

So, Clandestine is the monster hunter here, right? But, well, she seems completely inept here. Yeah, her words are saying the opposite (she’s talking a lot about goblins and the worms and everything where Matt doesn’t know that much about it) but boy she has not been doing much of anything to show her worth as a monster hunter. This has been a problem since the beginning, but I think now’s as good as any to talk about it, since not much is happening right now. She’s nervous, she doesn’t explain things well, and she doesn’t handle herself well when in situations that a monster hunter would normally be in. I’m still waiting for the point that she proves herself in this story, and, well, I haven’t seen it yet. My mind would definitely be changed once she does prove herself, but right now it just hasn’t happened. She seems completely out of her league and it’s not fun to read for me. One thing I don’t like to see is capability being compromised for comedy. It works sometimes, and works well when it does, but it also shortchanges your character. I would just like to see something better for our gal Clandestine.

Yay goblins! Although, duh, we knew there would be goblins last chapter part so it would be weird if there wasn’t goblins. This reveal feels shortchanged because the goblin didn’t really do much. Even Clandestine was like “wow he doesn’t look too intimidating”. Perhaps if more action happened, then this would land better. Like, if Clandestine and Matt tried to cut the goblin off and there was a chase involved with crashing and stuff, and then at the end they were all out of breath.

So, overall this chapter part was better than the last chapter part but it still didn’t end too well in my opinion. I see so much potential here, but I know that LMS limits how much time you have to refine things. My recommendation here is just don’t be afraid to add in action, even if it’s not great action. You have so much character development in these last three chapters but you have little to no action. Action spices things up. Action, even little action, adds more things to do with your writing besides just stream of consciousness and dialogue. Don’t be afraid to add in action!

Can’t wait to read more! :D

soundofmind says...

We make masks for everything, including ourselves. And, boooyyy James you are so lying to yourself. Why have to make a persona like that so much? Do you even know who you are?

Me, crying. You didn't have to expose him like this... I know this but HE doesn't know this :,)

So, Clandestine is the monster hunter here, right? But, well, she seems completely inept here.

Me, also crying. THIS IS SOMETHING I WANNA DIDDLY DANG FIX BUT I DOn'T KNOW HOw. Like. Okay. I just. Gotta make her confident with like, monsters. Calm. Collected. IDK if she had proven herself to you in the coming chapters but I have a feeling it's still lacking in the badassery department to help ahsdlkjhf

Also yeah the goblin reveal probably felt kinda boring. I could probably have added in a chase there but I was honestly probably lazy and tired. I look back at this now and I think I just wanted to write more peaceful scenes LOL. Well, at least I can always go back and edit :,)

Omni says...

The easiest way to fix Clanny's ineptitude is making her a completely different person around monsters. Serious (as serious as she can be), focused, badass, and knows what she's doing. Honestly, I feel like Clanny is the type of person who works better around monsters than humans because there's a part of her that views herself as a monster. Like, she's over a hundred years old and in an era that despises magic. If that doesn't make her a monster, I don't know what will.

soundofmind says...

THIS IS GOOD AND IMMA TRY TO DO THAT IN FUTURE CHAPTERS since i cant change stuff that big rn in these ones but yES Heck BLESS U THANK U

Omni says...

Yeah, and you can explain it away in this draft as Clanny being like "ok you, you gotta stop messing around." or something like that XDD

soundofmind says...

LOL yES

Omni says...

OH YEAH now that i think about it, Matt did say Clanny was secretly wanting to die so maybe that was why she was being so inept? i think i actually said that in one of my reviews lol

soundofmind says...

OH YEAH i forgot about that for a sec but yEAH uh, she's pretty reckless b/c of th a t , yes

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:41 am
mellifera wrote a review...

hey sound! I'm back again with a hopefully more substantial review this time haha

With as much as I like to indulge myself in introspection and contemplation of what my future could possibly hold, sometimes I lose track of... myself. Or rather, as of late, it's become often.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, I don't think the "Or rather," fits in the context here?
Also as a side note, I have to ask: regardless of the speaker of this message, where is it going in terms of the overall chapter? I know you're posting this in parts of a chapter and stuff, but would this intersect in the middle of a chapter (or, in between this and 3.2?). This is, out of curiosity haha.

More often than not I have to remind myself of who I am instead of who I'm not,

I also! really like this line :)

I do have...suspicions that the beginning is James but alas, I assume that is for later.

I also noticed your...slight overuse of ellipses? I mean, three isn't too bad overall, but so many in such a small span of text loses it's flavour, I suppose.

My only justification being, that, at the very least, I am not lying to myself.

There's a repetition on the variations of "at least" here and it was, kinda noticeable haha.

I also really like the opening descriptions after the beginning section because it just, sounds so pretty!

I've said this before and I'll say this again- I love the contrast between Clandestine's personality and Matt's.

I think I would have liked to see a little smoother of a transition? Maybe not the whole night or waking up process, but maybe mentioning it's morning and showing that they're going to do some investigating? Because that felt a little awkward and jarring between the two scenes. (Although I also,,, did not see "And the night prior" and was like...wait weren't they going to sleep in shifts so that is, my fault but I would still like to bring this point to attention)

So at first you said they all froze as the goblin met Clandestine eyes but then in the next line, it also says that the goblin looked away in the second it met her eyes. I might clarify that is was a moment after they locked gazes? Because that's a little, confusing lol.

I know there was some investigating in his chapter but I still?? Would have liked to see a little more. I don't know, I think I would've preferred more banter while investigating vs. right before their night shift? I don't know, I feel like their conversation didn't really do much in the way of the plot but that is also up to you, and I don't know how it will affect things overall anyway haha.

Anyway! That's all I have for you today, I hope you can pull something helpful out of that! Keep up the good work :D

I hope you're having a great time!

soundofmind says...

scribs omg thank you so much for another review gosh <3 <3

ALSO UH!
Also as a side note, I have to ask: regardless of the speaker of this message, where is it going in terms of the overall chapter?

Yeah uh! So I might move it around in the next draft to be at the end of the chapter?? Maybe. But at the moment it is where it is in the middle of things, and would just have little scene breaks like all the other pov switches and scene switches and stuff!

I also noticed your...slight overuse of ellipses?

LOL OMG ,,, yes, I use them toO MUCH I ALWAYS HAVE TO GO EDIT A LOT OF UNNECESSARY ONES OUT UgH @ ME

And aggh, yeah I gotta work on the transition!! I don't... have ideas right now lol or a good response BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK it is very helpful to hear

Oxara wrote a review...

Here for another review, and I am not going to waste any more time so let's go

World building/character building: Well what can you did a great job with character building for mat. It was very well written and didn't feel random (even if I sometimes got matt wrong/phrased in a way that was wrong, like the emotion line I did a few reviews ago.) In fact I even kinda thought this was what you were going for by your foreshadowing in previous chapters.

Plot: You showed us goblins, and I think it will be important to the plot, but other than that not much to say(I am thinking about removing this section as I have yet to really use it??? But let me know what you think)

Random thoughts: I have a question about matt now is, is his name a lie? Because if it is, that would fit his lie theme pretty well, and you can have Clandestine exposed to his lie by this.

Nitpicks:

"'there's just the regular sized ones,' Clandetine added, making a motion in the air as to how big they were. She drew a circle that made it look like they'd be as big as a person."- Did you not say the queen hole was as long as her? So wouldn't the queen be as big as a person, not the regular sized ones?

"Matt grinned a little bit as he nodded, and although she..." In this you start with matt and say he nodded so this setence is being written with him as the subject. However then you switch to as though Clandestine is the subject. In fact you often switch between these two, one sentence to another and that. I haven't commented on it because I never thought to (though I should have) so my advice to you is, try to make a single charcter the subject in each paragraph without switching between them. It could work, it could not, it may even be bad advice and limt you. However you can go create a new story and try this method out to see how it works for you.

"Matt lifted up his good hand, giving her a thumbs down."- Doesn't make much sense for him to give her a thumbs up. I understand it like "all good here" but wouldn't it make more sense for him to shake his head, it would make it less confusing to me at least."

"It was small" give some perspective on what 'small' is. You gave perspective on the size of the worms so why not describe a real character their meeting in great detail. Is it just small to them, or is it a goblins that is even small for goblins. Are they as small as they are normally portrayed,about what height. What about his clothes is it just like a piece of cloth, or does he have some really fancy jacket. I would say don't over describe it, but right now you do give some details but maybe just a few more and I can picture him perfectly. Right now I am picturing almost a dobbie form harry potter, like character (though maybe smaller depending on the size of the hole you describe). Describing just like one or two more descriptions would allow me to picture him clearly, without it being too many details.

soundofmind says...

Shoot, this is late but I meant to say thanks for the review!!!

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Sound. Sound. This is meant to be a pleasant, engaging read. I am not meant to be having my heart strings pulled *in chapter three*. I haven't even finished reading yet because I came down here to give out to you.

Okay I read the second scene!! Goblins!! Oh boy.

Okay so I basically just loved this. It hit such a great balance of character and plot. Perfection. I liked the little interlude up at the top, what is it, Matt's secret diary? Secret mental diary? I wonder if the fact he's having thoughts like this means that soon he'll crack?? Whatever - I felt like it suited well because we don't *get* much of his character in the second scene because he's so closed off. Poor Clandestine. I just want to give her a hug and an invitation for wine & cheese night at mine ugh I just want to be her friend. Genuinely. You have succeeded in making her this affable, loveable monster-hunting gunslinger and that's so special!

Anyway, I really think that that scene on the porch was really well written and a good spacer in terms of plot. It's lovely to see some pure character work, and it was so well done! Ugh and so atmospheric and for a moment I really just wanted them to just decide to settle down on this farm and grow old like Laura and Kaleb <3 but now we should get back to monster hunting.

Really I don't know how much else I have to say. I really enjoyed this segment! I'm looking forward to Chapter 4! Ugh now the problem with being up to date with my reviews is now I'm going to have to hang around and wait for you to update! Humph. <3

-Stella x

soundofmind says...

Pls give Clanny a hug,, , BUT AAAAAA THANK U SO MUCH AGAIN!!

I'm so glad you liked this part :,) and I'm glad the porch scene felt good aa!! I wasn't sure if it'd be like..... BORING LOL. (My dumb brain: if it ain't action all the time the audience will fall asleep!!!1 1!!!) AND I WISH I could answer as to who the speaker is/where it's coming from in the little interlude but I CAN'T because SPOILERS but IT WILL BE REVEALED eventually :,0

But ahsdkjhd thanks so so much!! HOpeFULLY you enjoy!! the next chapter !

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
— Thomas Neill