z

Young Writers Society



The Lost Dragon 13.2

by soundofmind


Chapter 13.2 - yOU wAnNa knOw How I gOt thEsE ScArS?

The water of the murky creek trickled gently down the gradual slope of the land. A cool breeze blew against their backs from the south, carrying the fresh smells of the forest through the air. At the edge of the water, James sat with his legs crossed, holding bandages, and Laura's jar of healing salve that Clandestine had held onto.

He'd finally stripped himself of his muddied, bloody shirt and sat by the water uncomfortably aware that Clandestine was watching him from afar. With neither of their trust wholly earned, Clandestine wasn't giving him space. Though in all fairness, he was sure it was her curiosity keeping her eyes pinned on him at all times as much as it was her fear that he would leave at any moment.

James slowly and tediously cleaned his shoulder, his arm, his chest; everywhere the blood had dried and caked and mixed with sweat and the nature he was dragged through. He was wary of moving his shoulder too much or stretching it too far, for fear of opening the wound again. The last thing he wanted was to have to seal it that way again, and he didn't have supplies to stitch it up.

He was fortunate that the stab wound had been his only piercing blow. The bruises from bumping into things and being kicked would heal in time, and there was little he could do to aid them in that natural process apart from taking it easy.

When he was sure his wounds were clean, and his hygiene was remedied, he gingerly applied the salve to his shoulder with two fingers, and then slowly began to wrap the wound.

Admittedly, the task might've been easier for someone else to help him with, as it took longer for him to one-handedly twist up and around his arm, but he still wasn't comfortable with Clandestine getting that near to him. Were he pretending to be Matt, he would've tolerated it, but he eagerly seized the opportunity to establish new boundaries as James. As himself.

He tied off the bandage and ripped off the roll that remained. As he set the roll down on the ground he slouched forward and let out a deep, long sigh.

Clandestine was approaching from his left. He could hear her boots slide down the slope in the mud. His eyes flickered to his clean shirt, folded up on a rock to his right, eager to cover himself up and hide away. He reached for it and brought it to his lap as he undid the buttons. Clandestine sat beside him, only a foot or two away. His back and shoulders tensed. From the corner of his eye, he could see her.

She wasn't looking at his face. She was scanning his body, with a pained sort of pity in her eyes. The look made him want to cringe and straighten up at the same time.

"I thought... maybe the scars were from some freak accident in childhood," she started to say, her voice soft as if she were afraid of scaring him off. Like he was a frightened animal. "But they're not, are they?"

James just glanced at her from the corner of his eyes, thinking over his answer. She seemed to already come to a conclusion, so he didn't know why she was asking.

"I know it's - I know it's rude to like, ask," she added before he could reply. "But I just..."

Her eyes lingered on his back. Where the worst ones were. The three streaks across his back, when he had his closest brush with death, and then the encircled "B" seared into his lower back with scalding iron.

"The brand was from a bounty hunter," he said stiffly. "A lot of them are."

Clandestine looked up at him, but he kept his eyes on his shirt. He undid the last button and slipped his injured arm in first.

"I thought you were wanted alive though?" she asked.

He pulled the shirt around his back and slipped his other arm in the next sleeve.

"Alive and dead are two different things," he said as he brought the bottom buttons together.

Clandestine paused. He wondered if the implications of that statement were sinking in, and how mild or extreme her imagination was in comparison to reality. Her voice came back with a timid question.

"So you've been caught a lot?"

He finished buttoning his shirt, leaving the top two undone.

"Enough," was his one-word answer.

"And you escaped?"

"Well, I wouldn't be here if I hadn't."

Clandestine twisted her lips into an awkward frown and folded into herself. She leaned forward and grabbed her legs, tucking them under her chin. As she looked away, they fell into silence. The sound of their voices was replaced by the trickling of slow-moving water and the occasional tweets of birds overhead.

James leaned back on his good arm.

The peace of the forest - largely uninhabited and untouched by human civilization - was calming. It also made it easier to pick out the sounds that he knew could only belong to a person, or Alexander. As it stood, Alexander hadn't shown any signs that he was following them, but he knew that Alexander had to be tracking them from afar. Why he hadn't struck already, while James was still wounded, he couldn't be sure, but he knew they weren't in the clear yet.

He was itching to get to Ruddlan. Then he could leave Clandestine, and hopefully, she would be able to disappear into the crowd, and her connections to him would be forgotten in time. As much as she made for good company, things would be simpler without her, and without all of her questions. No one had ever stuck around with him after knowing him as one alias and then discovering his true identity anyway. The amount of effort it took to remedy such broken trust was never spent, and he'd long since given up on the idea of living a life attached to anyone at all.

Sooner or later, Carter was going to catch up to him. It was just a matter of time.

Clandestine shifted and sat up, and started rolling up the sleeve of her jacket up her arm. He glanced in her direction.

Seeing he was looking over, she held her arm out towards him, revealing a long, thick scar that ran up the side of her arm from her wrist to her elbow.

"Most of my scars are from monster hunting," she said, with a small smile tugging at her lips.

"This one's from a tusked wolfbear that was getting into a blacksmiths' shed. Did you know they like to eat coal?" Her smile fought its way through and she started chuckling. "Monsters are weird sometimes. That one I ended up finding just as it snuck in the shed. Now let me tell you, you don't want to get stuck fighting a tusked animal in close quarters. Makes a big mess."

James blinked, looking up from her arm to her eyes, green and lit up with fondness as she looked at the scar and relived the memory.

His reply was a hum, barely audible. She turned her arm around to reveal a few small nicks that she started pointing out.

"This one was from a darting squirrel - not nearly as friendly as a flying squirrel, though they can still fly. They're just a class C monster, but their claws are like tiny little daggers. It's like fighting a smaller, stronger, faster cat that is also more likely to carry a disease," she went on, chuckling again at the thought.

James looked at the tiny claw marks as she poked at them with her finger like each mark was a trophy of a successful hunt. For the briefest moment, he wondered if he would ever think of his burn from the goblin in that way, but the thought left as quickly as it came.

The goblins weren't equivalent to a rabid squirrel and they never would be. There was no pride to be found in their defeat.

James caught movement from across the creek out of the corner of his eye. Clandestine went silent. His head jerked up, and Clandestine and James looked across the creek simultaneously.

Standing on the other side of the creek, two young goblins were peering over a fallen log. The couldn't have been older than twelve. They were still so small. One seemed to be the average height of a ten-year-old human child, but the other was only a little larger than a small dog.

The youngest crawled on top of the log with its head stretched forward in curiosity, with the rest of its body holding back. Its shoulders scrunched up around its head, pushing its long droopy ears up on the sides on its head. The older, taller goblin child gawked with wide eyes, holding the top of the log as if ready to flee at any moment. The two of them looked like they might be siblings. They shared the same short, shaggy dark hair cut close to the shape of their heads, and they both had small, round noses poking from between their yellow eyes.

James had to admit, he was a little confused as to why the young goblins were alone or had wandered so far from their parents. He wondered how close their parents were, and he felt a chill of trepidation rush down his back. He began to search the forest behind the goblins for signs of anyone else, but he saw nothing. Clandestine sent him a confused look from the corner of his eyes.

He barely looked at her, keeping his focus on the goblins. She slowly propped herself up into a squat and took a hesitant step forward.

"Uh, hello?" she greeted with a small wave.

At the wave of her hand, the two jumped back behind the log. The oldest popped its eyes back up for a moment, eyes fixed on Clandestine's hands. It held its stare for but a second before it darted away into the forest with a fearful squeal, with the small one on its back.

Clandestine's gaze drifted over to him again, her mouth hanging open and her brows furrowed together in confusion.

"What were they doing out here?" she asked.

James shrugged with his good shoulder. "Getting water, probably."

Clandestine's eyes fell to her hands. He watched as something like a mortified fear passed over her countenance. He waited for her to say something, but when she didn't, he hesitantly leaned forward to catch her attention.

"What is it?"

Clandestine's eyes fluttered for a moment and she shook her head as she looked up at James. She attempted to force a smile, but it quickly faltered when they met each other's eyes. She stared back down at her hands.

"Do you think they were scared of me?" she asked.

"You mean, more than they would be of any human?"

Clandestine stammered. "No, I-I guess I just thought..." She pushed a stray hair behind her ear. "I don't know, just that, maybe they knew I had magic somehow."

James stared at her.

He was used to mages being secretive about their magic, and afraid others would see. But goblins weren't like humans. Goblins openly used magic in their culture, and they did not despise it. Were they to see her magic, they wouldn't have feared her for being a mage, only that she would use her magic against them.

That was when it clicked.

Was she scared of her own magic? He wondered how much she'd been taught, or if she'd been taught it at all. He wondered how much she understood her own abilities.

Clandestine was born in a different era, a different culture. A time before magic was outlawed, before propaganda and world disasters brought blame upon the things humans didn't quite know how to explain. He couldn't remember if she'd said how old she was when she woke up in their current time period, and he didn't know how long she'd been living in it, but he had a feeling her magic was different, and it wasn't just because she was a mage from another age.

He didn't know how, but he just felt it in his gut.

"That is possible," he said. "Maybe word travels fast between the goblins. I don't know how much trouble we caused for them, or how much our defeat of the chief and his troop caused ripples among their people. Goblins have skirmishes and run-ins with humans all the time - though usually, it's more evenly matched. And both parties are actually seeking to fight, rather than negotiate or retreat. Or at least, that's been our perception them."

It was possible he was wrong. He didn't know enough to say anything with 100% certainty, but Clandestine was nodding her head in agreement, if only barely. She looked at the ground in thought.

"You don't think any of them died, do you?"

This time, James was the one to furrow his brows together.

Clandestine didn't make sense to him. As a monster hunter, it didn't make sense for her to express remorse for fighting goblins, when she herself had (if indirectly) classified them as monsters and said nothing to defend their personhood or intelligence. He almost hoped she was only asking to reach for a logical reason to explain the goblin children's fear of her hand. Of her magic. And it really was a reach.

"We can't know what happened after they fled," he said with a carefully managed indifference. "For all we know, they were just afraid because we're humans and they didn't expect to run into any of us this deep into the forest. But if they saw us and are returning to their parents or a larger group, it's best we get a move on. Regardless if they know who we are or not, we don't want to run into a bunch of goblins, and they won't follow us into a human city."

James stood up, tucking the medical supplies in one hand against his stomach.

Clandestine looked out across the water. He couldn't quite read her expression. She looked sad and conflicted, but he couldn't tell over what.

"You're probably right. It's probably nothing," she mumbled as she got up.

"We also still have Alexander to worry about," he reminded her. All the more reason to hurry to Ruddlan.

Clandestine's face contorted with a comically exaggerated expression of disgust and displeasure.

"Ugh," she grumbled. "Yeah. That guy."

A ghost of a smile passed over James's lips. He gave a nod towards the horses, roped to a tree.

"My thoughts exactly."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 10085
Reviews: 147

Donate
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 am
View Likes
Carina says...



mmmmMmm I sense big plot between gobbies n clanny

also

The amount of effort it took to remedy such broken trust was never spent, and he'd long since given up on the idea of living a life attached to anyone at all.

Sooner or later, Carter was going to catch up to him. It was just a matter of time.


SAD!




soundofmind says...


SAD!!!!



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world)

And we continue Chapter 13

First Impression: Interesting run in with those goblins. Also that was a lot of scar comparing. Reminded me of a scene from a T.V. series. Anyway so we learnt a tiny bit more about James and it looks like James might get curious enough that we can learn a couple of things about Clandestine's life before being put to sleep.

"I thought... maybe the scars were from some freak accident in childhood," she started to say, her voice soft as if she were afraid of scaring him off. Like he was a frightened animal. "But they're not, are they?"


Wait that was way too many scars to think it was a freak accident unless the freak accident involved several large dangerous animals or an attack by bandits.

He was itching to get to Ruddlan. Then he could leave Clandestine, and hopefully, she would be able to disappear into the crowd, and her connections to him would be forgotten in time. As much as she made for good company, things would be simpler without her, and without all of her questions. No one had ever stuck around with him after knowing him as one alias and then discovering his true identity anyway. The amount of effort it took to remedy such broken trust was never spent, and he'd long since given up on the idea of living a life attached to anyone at all.


At least he admitted that she was good company. That's the first step. Also shows some more character growth so that's great again.

Standing on the other side of the creek, two young goblins were peering over a fallen log. The couldn't have been older than twelve. They were still so small. One seemed to be the average height of a ten-year-old human child, but the other was only a little larger than a small dog.


So were they spying on them?

James had to admit, he was a little confused as to why the young goblins were alone or had wandered so far from their parents. He wondered how close their parents were, and he felt a chill of trepidation rush down his back. He began to search the forest behind the goblins for signs of anyone else, but he saw nothing. Clandestine sent him a confused look from the corner of his eyes.


Also James is really, really bad at detecting when some goblin or lizard sneaks up. This is becoming too much of a thing now.

Clandestine was born in a different era, a different culture. A time before magic was outlawed, before propaganda and world disasters brought blame upon the things humans didn't quite know how to explain. He couldn't remember if she'd said how old she was when she woke up in their current time period, and he didn't know how long she'd been living in it, but he had a feeling her magic was different, and it wasn't just because she was a mage from another age.


Very specific feeling to have there James. You sure you didn't just take a look at the plot.

Clandestine's face contorted with a comically exaggerated expression of disgust and displeasure.

"Ugh," she grumbled. "Yeah. That guy."

A ghost of a smile passed over James's lips. He gave a nod towards the horses, roped to a tree.

"My thoughts exactly."


I have a feeling he is also going to successfully sneak up on them. So far they have managed to fail to detect intruders 100% of the time.

And that's it.

Overall: More interesting developments. So the latest plotline is to get to the city. Let's see where that leads. And still waiting on that title.

Now Imma go finish this chapter off.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:29 am
View Likes
Omni wrote a review...



HI HELLO IM BACK ENJOY THESE NOTIFICATIONS

oooh shirtless James hehe OKAY SORRY NOT THE POINT the boi is hurt and needs healing

I like that he had to remind himself that James was him. Because, is it really? And also establishing new boundaries means YOU'RE JUST PUSHING HER AWAY EVEN MORE JAMES and look how well that turned out last time.

"Alive and dead are two different things," he said as he brought the bottom buttons together.



I'm not really sure what he was meaning with this? Aside from being edgy of course, but duh alive and dead are two different things lol, and that didn't answer Clandestine's question at all.

Boy, for being James, you're sounding an awful lot like MATT with those aggravating answers xD

And bam, there's the big thing, that I don't even think James realized was important. He's leaving Clandestine in the town, not the other way around, or not them leaving each other, like he was alluding to when she was interrogating him. She's not leaving him, he doesn't want her to leave him to protect her. He wants to leave her, because making connections is too difficult.

I'm also enjoying how Clandestine is opening herself to James, as an attempt to get him to trust her. It's nice, and I surely hope it works for her, although it probably woNT BECAUSE JAMES IS A BUTT. Also, I like this because it actually shows that Clandestine is an experienced Monster Hunter. Although the cynic in me would say she got all those scars because SHE'S INEPT but baaaad cynic, shoo.

I thiiink maybe James put two and two together about Clandestine not liking her own magic a bit too quickly, since he got it before I did, and that's even after the goblins talked about it last chapter part. The reason being, is that I just don't see it yet. You haven't really touched on it yet with how Clandestine has reacted besides right right after the fight. Also, just a caution: you talked about this in two chapter parts back to back, with little difference. That's usually not a good thing, and can be considered that you're spoonfeeding this information to the reader to. make. sure. they. get. it.

So, I liked this chapter part. It was slow, but in a good way. I think the goblins were a little forced here as an after thought, but other than that. I liked! ONWARDS




User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 1578
Reviews: 232

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:15 am
View Likes
LadyBug wrote a review...



I love how deep and descriptive this is. At first I thought it was a bit slow and I was about to give up on it but the paragraph, "I thought... maybe the scars were from some freak accident in childhood," she started to say, her voice soft as if she were afraid of scaring him off. Like he was a frightened animal. "But they're not, are they?" got my attention. I loved it and I look forward to reading more. I started this series on this one but I'm definitely going to read the first chapter now!




soundofmind says...


Oh thanks!! I hope you enjoy the rest of the story!!



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:53 pm
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



hey sound! back at it again with another review *finger guns*


your description has been slowly improving in these last couple of chapters? and I'm really enjoying it??


carrying the fresh smells of the forest through the air.


Even though I just said I was enjoying the descriptions lol (I am!), I'm going to complain about this one cause it's?? pretty vague? like, what kind of forest? a pine forest? a deciduous forest? does it smell fresh and clean? does it smell kind of musty? (wow I am a description nITPICKER)

straighten up straight-faced at the same time.


sound ??

then the encircled "B" seared into his lower back with scalding iron.


yes. a branding so commonly fall under freak childhood accident. I see it all the time.

"Alive and wounded are two different things,"


I think you mean? Alive and wounded, and dead are two different things? Because Clandestine is trying to make the point that he's wanted alive but he's trying to point out that he is alive even if he's injured, yes? So this sentence right now kind of contradicts that?

"And you escaped?"


no, clanny, he didn't.

Why he hadn't struck while he was still wounded, and while it was just he and Clandestine, he couldn't be sure, but he knew they weren't in the clear yet.


I? am not sure that I understand this line? I get the second part about them not being entirely safe from Alexander yet but,,, what does the first bit mean? It doesn't read very clearly and I honestly can't even guess what it means? (I'm pretty tired and my mind's a bit shot though too lol so you can take that with a grain of salt if you want)

hopefully, she would be able to disappear into the crowd, and her connections to him would be forgotten in time.


isn't that what they all say.

As much as she made for good company,


oH!! it's?? really nice to know that this isn't one-sided?? like, we know by now that Clandestine obviously likes James and even though she's cautious of him now, she still came to rescue him and all that. but it wasn't really clear what James thought about Clandestine?? so I like that we get even a little insight into what he's thinking.


I am curious about James' motivation? He's on the run from bounty hunters and he's been escaping at every turn and this Carter guy clearly isn't good news for him. James knows he can't run forever, so what's keeping him going? He isolates himself off, he's really reverted to a "survive first, live later" sort of mindset? I'm not saying he should be like the "guess I'll die" meme (which is,,, your avatar,, isn't it,,,,,), but I do want to know what drives him forward, you know?


with a small smile tugging at her lips. It seemed like she was trying to keep from smiling.


she was trying to keep from smiling. but she was ALSO trying to keep from smiling.
(I feel like there's a few places where you've been like, inserting some repetition? I caught this line and the line about James wanting to be Straight. but you might just? want to watch out for that and keep it in mind while you're writing, yeah?)

The goblins weren't equivalent to a rabid squirrel and they never would be.


it's almost a little bit funny how Dinny was like "the female mage surely sympathises with us!" or at least like, she should, but James is the one out here who's like GOBLINS ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD (obviously not,,, REALLY but close enough)


James: *thinks about goblins*
Goblins: *appear*


Clandestine's eyes fluttered for a moment


her eyes or her eyelids?


also kind of out of order but oOh james is trying to get clanny's attention for once?? there's a first time for everything after all.


is goblins so openly using magic one of the reasons humans have kind of shunned them and removed them from being categorised as "people"? (or, not so openly to everyone else, because Clandestine doesn't seem to know about it? but then how would James? aaah I have so many worldbuilding questions)


but it wasn't out of confusion.

It was because Clandestine didn't make sense to him.


I mean, what emotion would you call that then, if not confusion? isn't that a pretty clear cut way to describe it? when something doesn't make sense you're confused about it?


I like that? we're getting more into how Clandestine feels about her magic too? I know it gets kind of glazed over because they both dismiss it, but I still like that it's brought up and James has Thoughts about it. I also just like the way that they're kind of considering goblins together? I'm not sure that makes sense haha, but I'd definitely like to see more of Clanny and her magic and the two of them and goblins. if that makes sense?


I think! That's all I have for today? you're the best and I love reviewing!! this!! thank!!

I hope you're having a fantastic time! <3




soundofmind says...


yes. a branding so commonly fall under freak childhood accident. I see it all the time.

Clandestine: *VERY EMBARASSEd* I DONT KNOW I DIDNT LOOK CLOSELY UNTIL NOW! Adkfhjkfhl

I am curious about James' motivation? He's on the run from bounty hunters and he's been escaping at every turn and this Carter guy clearly isn't good news for him. James knows he can't run forever, so what's keeping him going? He isolates himself off, he's really reverted to a "survive first, live later" sort of mindset? I'm not saying he should be like the "guess I'll die" meme (which is,,, your avatar,, isn't it,,,,,), but I do want to know what drives him forward, you know?

this is a very good question
me: *opens door into story and looks at James*
me: do u have something to say about that buddy
james: *makes an obscene hand gesture*
me: *immediately shuts door*
me: haha oh wow, that was rude sorry about that

James: *thinks about goblins*
Goblins: *appear*

ASDHFjashlkjadshg I WAS JUSt,, IDK TRYNA TRANSITION adhslkgjfhlkj BLeh

is goblins so openly using magic one of the reasons humans have kind of shunned them and removed them from being categorised as "people"? (or, not so openly to everyone else, because Clandestine doesn't seem to know about it? but then how would James? aaah I have so many worldbuilding questions)

oh shoot... does clandestine not know about it? now I AM FORGETTING. She... she should know a little bit. I don't remember details... I'm not sure if maybe s he just didn't suspect it? gosh what is continuity

BUT YES, goblins using magic is always why humans are like "MREh I DONT LIKE GOBLINS" but u know, not that tame

HECK THOUGH THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IM SO GLAD YOU'RE ENJOYING REVIEWING THIS AND BIG HECKIN HUGS FOR YOU!!



soundofmind says...


my dumb butt really said magic is ALWAYS why humans don't like goblins instead of ALSO. LOL. Magic is not the only reason :,)



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 4338
Reviews: 61

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:58 pm
OofOof1 wrote a review...



Your chapter title cracked me up. OMG that chapter title makes me laugh so much that I can't even breathe, you killed me with funniness. By the way great job with the dialogue and the character traits for your character. Those two are very important things you have to have in your story, otherwise it's not going to run well. And you presenting those characters so nicely oh, just brings a great big smile to my face.

Do I have any feedback, just that you keep riding and never give up.

Anyway there's this big word that uses scribe stories like yours.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious..
Have you heard about that word.




Anyway bye.




soundofmind says...


Hey oofoof1! Thanks! I'm glad you liked this chapter.



User avatar
386 Reviews


Points: 27684
Reviews: 386

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:04 am
View Likes
Dossereana wrote a review...



Hi @soundofmind I am here to do a review on your grate work, I thought today would be a grate day to do it.

Plot

okay I really feel like this is getting some were, its really interesting, your description I feel is getting a lot better every chapter,

What I lines I like most

The water of the murky creek trickled gently down the gradual slope of the land.

Wowo really good description here, I love it, also just to say I love the names of all your characters, and stuff in this story here its really nice to read.

He wondered if the implications of that statement were sinking in, and how mild or extreme her imagination was in comparison to reality.

hm grate imagery forming here, I could not have thought of a better way to say this line.

what needs work

As a monster hunter, it didn't make sense for her to express remorse for fighting goblins, when she herself had (if indirectly) classified them as monsters and said nothing to defend their personhood or intelligence.
okay first thing I think this needs a full stop, second the word i have put in bold needs a space, so I will put this in suggestions and the bit that I change will be in bold.

Suggestions

As a monster hunter, it didn't make sense for her to express remorse for fighting goblins. when she herself had (if indirectly) classified them as monsters and said nothing to defend their person hood or intelligence.

Thoughts and cliffhangers

okay I have said this to two other people that I have reviewed today, That i just feel like your no going into peoples heads a nove, I feel like that was one of my problems when I started writing, so just go into the man characters thoughts a lot more, second thing I feel like a lot of your chapters have Cliffhangers, I feel like that can lead people away, so they don't read it any more, I learnt that when I first started writing as well some one said it in a review on my work, so just passing it over for I think it is very vailable information.

okay so that is all that I can say. If I came a cross as being to harsh and not very nice and the review was not help full I am so sorry pleas for give me. So keep up the good work I hop to read more.

@EagleFly out to Seek and Kill

Happy Review Day




soundofmind says...


I'm glad you're enjoying the description, it's something I've been working on!

Also - personhood is actually a real word! So there's no need to split it into two. It's ok though!

I'll think about how to fit in more of my character's thoughts behind their actions, cause I do think that's something I can forget sometimes, especially when I'm writing from James's pov because he's so reserved, and even his thoughts he can sometimes hold back in a sense.

About cliffhangers though - they're not always a bad thing! I think writing chapters or chapter parts in the way I do, posting them only 1000-2000 words at a time can be tricky. I know I don't always have to do cliffhanger-y type endings and I think I know what you're talking about, but in general, cliffhangers, or just not ending on a fully resolved thought/event isn't always bad! Sometimes the tension/suspense is what draws the reader to come back for the next chapter!

I hope you have a nice day too <3 and I'm glad you're still reading my story! : )



Dossereana says...


Thanks for describing things with the review I wrote, also of cores I still read your story pleas post the next one.



User avatar
162 Reviews


Points: 1865
Reviews: 162

Donate
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:14 pm
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...



Another great chapter!




soundofmind says...


thank you so much!




If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates