z

Young Writers Society



The Lost Dragon 12.1

by soundofmind


Chapter 12 Part 1: U stinky bounty hunter, go eat a sock sTINKY

Clandestine's heart stopped when she heard the yell echo through the forest. She froze in her steps. Elliot's ears flicked forward and he stiffened.

That didn't sound like a normal yell. That sounded like someone in pain, and it sounded too much like Matt for her to write it off as nothing. She was too deep into the forest for it to just be any other traveler or even other bandits. Wherever the bounty hunter was going, he really wanted to stay away from the roads.

Clandestine looked down at the ground. The trail she'd been following had come and gone, but if the yell told her anything she had to be close. It was late, and the sky was dark, and she knew Billy and Elliot would need to rest if they were to be ready for a hurried get-away run in the middle of the night. She squeezed their lead ropes with a small sigh and looked back at the two.

She had to hurry.

She inched closer with careful steps, hoping that the horses wouldn't make any noises to draw attention to themselves. She didn't know how good the bounty hunter was at fighting, but if she wanted her best shot, she needed the advantage of surprise.

After heading in the direction of the yell, she eventually spotted the faintest trail of smoke coming up from the trees. The cool air around her crept its way up the sleeves of her jacket and made the sweat under her armpits send shivers up her arms. She took in a deep breath and leaned forward into the grassy undergrowth of the forest. Clandestine wasn't used to fighting people. She'd fought for people all the time, but she was more used to animals and monsters. The thought of having to face the bounty hunter on her own, and not knowing how well-off Tiberius was intimidated her.

What if he was some kind of trained assassin? What if she didn't make it out alive, and she was left dead in the forest, forgotten?

Her heart leapt out of her chest as Billy nudged her in the back with his nose, and she jumped, looking around at Billy with wide eyes. She was about to draw her sword but slid it back into its sheath as she looked back at her relaxed equine companion. If the enemy wasn't so close, she would've scolded him for spooking her while she was deep in thought. She waved a pointed finger at him before looking ahead to see what Billy was staring at.

There was light peeking through the trees. It was faint, but it was close.

Clandestine hurried to find a suitable tree to tie Billy and Elliot under. If shots were fired, she didn't want to bring them any closer, lest they get caught in the crossfire. She didn't know what level the bounty hunter was willing to stoop to. She couldn't bet on him sparing innocent horses.

Though it was cold, she ditched her jacket on Billy's saddle so it wouldn't snag on anything as she snuck through the darkness. With a quick kiss on Billy's head, she pulled the ropes tight and left to slink into the forest with light steps. She followed the light until she heard the soft murmuring of voices, and then she got low to the ground. She took cover behind the shade of a pair of full bushes and took out her gun with careful movements. In silence, she found a break in the branches to peek in at the campsite before her.

She could see the fire.

She moved to the side ever so slightly to get a better angle.

Sitting by the fire was the guy from the tavern. The one who'd followed her and knocked her out. He was finishing off some soup and setting his bowl down by the fire. Across from the fire, she could see two shoes on the ground. Matt's shoes. Tiberius's shoes. She lifted her head a little more, but all she could see was that Tiberius was tied to a tree with a few strands of tightly bound rope. She couldn't see his face - only that he was turned away from where she was at. His head was hanging low with his hair over his eyes, and he was covered in dirt and who knew what else. But what stood out the most was that he was bleeding from his shoulder.

Her grip on her gun tightened as she shifted to get a better look at the bounty hunter again. A burning anger began to stir in her chest, and she took in one careful breath.

She was going to have to shoot him. There really was no other good option. If she went in there trying to talk, the first thing he would do would be shoot at her first or something else violent. With a hardened resolve, she pointed her gun through the bushes at him. She had to get it right. She didn't want to kill the guy- she just wanted to hurt him enough that he wouldn't be able to fight back a bunch when she went in to get Tiberius. Right?

She took in another breath, silently bringing all of her focus on one shot.

BANG!

She stared, wide-eyed. Wait. Where did the guy go? One moment he was sitting up, and the next, he was flat on the ground. He sprung back up with alarming speed and lifted up a gun of his own, aiming into the bushes. Clandestine got to her feet, scrambling out of the way. Several shots came whizzing into the bushes as she practically fell out of the way. She made her way to Tiberius's tree, poking her head out just enough to peek at him and the bounty hunter.

"Hey, Tiberius! It's me! I'm here to save you!" she whispered in hurried words.

Apparently, Tiberius was gagged, because all she got out of him was a: "Muhh? Guh!" which made no sense at all.

And that was the extent of their words exchanged as another shot sent her ducking behind the tree for cover. As she saw the bounty hunter approaching, she looked down at the rope wound around the tree. In three quick movements she slid her gun back into its holster, she took out her sword, and she sliced at the ropes. She probably hacked about halfway through them before she saw the bounty hunter coming towards her out of the corner of her eye.

"Oop!" she yelped as she jumped out of the way.

She ran around the tree with her heart pounding and switched her sword for her gun. She finally got a clear glimpse of Tiberius's wound out of the corner of her eye but she kept moving. The bounty hunter could still shoot at her at any moment.

They both jumped out from opposite sides of the tree at the same time, facing each other. She aimed at him, but he moved faster than her bullet, as if anticipating where it would go next. She missed. Her hands quivered, and she shot again, but he easily dodged as he weaved his way towards her. Why did he have to be so fast? And now he was too close, and shooting him would mean really messing him up. She took a few steps back, with her gun still pinned on him. She didn't have many shots left. It was just a six-shooter.

He lifted his gun back at her, and with a huff of breath, she rushed towards him.

For half a second, she'd thought she'd thrown him off. His eyes widened, but then they focused. His gun was back on his belt. She didn't see that. She lifted her own to counter, to get control back, but he advanced as she advanced, and he grabbed her shoulder with a vice-like grip. His hand squeezed quickly and painfully down her arm until he made it to her gun, that at that point, he easily twisted out of her hand. He elbowed her in the face, but instead of fighting back with raw power, she grabbed for her sword.

As she pulled it from its sheath she jabbed the handle into his side. He didn't let out a grunt or anything, but the hit landed, and that small victory gave her courage. She lifted her sword to face the bounty hunter but he was already hurrying back and away, out of range. She hurried and sliced after him, and felt her sword catch on something. Without any thought, she responded with a flurry of slashes, only to realize halfway through that all she'd caught was his hat that had flown off behind him. As soon as the realization hit, however, the bounty hunter had vanished from her sight. On her right she heard him:

"I should've just killed you," he said with a voice that sent chills down her spine. When she turned, she saw the barrel of his gun line up with her head.

As she blinked, her life flashed before her eyes... and Tiberius came out of nowhere.

With rageful eyes and a face set in stone, Tiberius brought his hands around the bounty hunter's neck and his cuff with him. His legs flew up around the hunter's arms, pinning them to his sides, and they both slowly stumbled down to the ground. Tiberius tightened the metal chain around the guy's neck as they hit the forest floor, and Clandestine could tell the bounty hunter was trying to muscle his arms out of Tiberius's grip.

Or at least, he was trying to at first. Until his face started going red, and the veins in his forehead started sticking out.

Clandestine stared for a moment at the struggle, unsure of how in control Tiberius was over the whole situation. He was unrelenting and not letting go. The guy's struggle was starting to weaken...

Was he trying to kill him?

"Matt!" she yelled in a panic, before realizing she used the wrong name. "I mean Tiberius! Tiberius! Stop!"

Tiberius's eyebrows lifted slightly, and she could see the name click in his mind. He ripped his hands away from the bounty hunter's neck with a sudden movement. The man fell to the ground, gasping for air with a quivering breath. Tiberius was backing away, but his whole body was shaking. Clandestine found herself stuck, unsure of who to help. The man who was barely breathing or the man who was barely standing on his feet?

"Tie him up," Tiberius spoke. But... but that wasn't his voice. His accent, the cowboy twang, it was all gone. He spoke straight and clear and low, in a way she had never heard him talk before. She looked up at him in confusion.

"Now," Tiberius said with urgency. She looked down. The bounty hunter was reaching around for his gun. She shook her head, and wordlessly, grabbed the gun and threw it out into the forest. Roughly, she pulled the guy up to the tree Tiberius was tied at, and she hastily tied the rope around his torso. As she tied off the final knot, the hunter kicked her in the legs, sending her to the ground with a rough thump, but she pushed herself back up again. Clandestine looked down on him with a frown, but her frown faltered. The guy was still wheezing.

She looked over at Matt, who was kneeling on the ground, breathing heavily, and holding his shoulder.

"Mat-gah!" She threw her hands up in the air in frustration. "Tiber- okay, I don't know what to call you. But agh, dragons above, you're hurt." She slowly approached him, with the same caution she would treat a wounded wild animal. Then she caught a whiff of him. She raised her brows and cleared her throat. "And wow, you smell."

She knelt down beside him, and he stayed still, still holding his shoulder until she tilted her head to get a look at his downcast face. He was avoiding her gaze, and he looked miserable. With shaky hands, he started unbuttoning the top of his muddy shirt.

"You shouldn't be here," he said lowly.

Clandestine stared at him in disbelief. "What? I helped you escape, Matt! How about a thank you!"

Tiberius slid a sleeve off of his wounded shoulder. He looked up at her with a dead-eyed gaze.

"Thank you," he said emotionlessly before he stood up.

Clandestine had to admit that was a lot less satisfying than she'd expected it to be. She also hadn't meant to sound so serious and angry when she demanded a thank-you. Maybe she should've, but for some reason, it felt wrong.

"You're welcome," she muttered as she stood up beside him. "I'll- I'll grab some water to clean that."

"Someone should watch Alexander," Tiberius said with a glance behind them.

Clandestine followed his gaze. "Alex- oh." That must've been the bounty hunter's name. Alexander. She realized she never asked his name back at the tavern. "B-but I, I brought the horses," she mumbled as she looked between the forest and the tied up bounty hunter.

Tiberius landed his still dead-eyed gaze on Alexander.

"Fine. Get them. Hurry," he said gruffly, though it still threw her off to hear him talk so differently than she was used to.

Clandestine only nodded. He didn't have to tell her to hurry.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 10085
Reviews: 147

Donate
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:46 am
View Likes
Carina says...



ACTION SCENE!! bye bye cowboy matt time to reveal the real u




soundofmind says...


*rips off the mask*



User avatar
4125 Reviews


Points: 259822
Reviews: 4125

Donate
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:13 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

And we begin chapter 12

First Impression: Well that was a quick turn of events. Looks like Alexander is a really good fighter. Well seems like a bad decision by Matt to keep him alive though. Like why would he have taken the risk. Getting scolded and possibly abandoned by Clandestine has got to be worth being free of the bounty hunter who could possible stir up more trouble for him.

Elliot's ears flicked forward and he stiffened.


Elliot's self restraint seems unlikely for a horse who seems very devoted to his master. I fully expected him to defy Clandestine's orders and just run right towards Tiberius and maybe dish out a few kicks towards Alexander.

What if he was some kind of trained assassin? What if she didn't make it out alive, and she was left dead in the forest, forgotten?


And now she's worried about dying? So far it sounded like no matter where she was going to die she would be lying forgotten.

She stared, wide-eyed. Wait. Where did the guy go? One moment he was sitting up, and the next, he was flat on the ground. He sprung back up with alarming speed and lifted up a gun of his own, aiming into the bushes. Clandestine got to her feet, scrambling out of the way. Several shots came whizzing into the bushes as she practically fell out of the way. She made her way to Tiberius's tree, poking her head out just enough to peek at him and the bounty hunter.


Did the dude actually manage to spot her(which is damn near impossible on its own but explainable by experience) or is he the Flash?, judging by how he dodged another one later I think the latter.

She didn't have many shots left. It was just a six-shooter.


Okay quick and probably unrelated question. Is this is a cylinder based pistol? Also most cylinder based guns have five cylinders. 6 is very uncommon and only with really small rounds. And considering she has to shoot monsters I don't think this is one with small rounds. Because anything with a magazine has at least 8 to even 18 rounds in most occasions. Sorry for the lecture but I just wanted to point that out.

As she tied off the final knot, the hunter kicked her in the legs, sending her to the ground with a rough thump, but she pushed herself back up again. Clandestine looked down on him with a frown, but her frown faltered. The guy was still wheezing.


Well he's a fighter.

Clandestine only nodded. He didn't have to tell her to hurry.


And the unlikely duo is back together.

And that's it for this part.

Overall: Really good action scene as always. The horse not reacting at all is unlikely but besides that it was very good. And let's see how the decision to keep the bounty hunter alive ends up working out.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:17 am
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



heya <3 I'm back, aaa, letta go


U stinky bounty hunter, go eat a sock sTINKY


this is tied for second with "Wakey Wakey Big Mistakey" for which chapter titles are my favourite aka please never stop with these titles they are Best.
"WORMS!!??!??" is my Ultimate Favourite
also now I have my hopes up that Tiberius puts a sock in Alexander's mouth for putting one in Tiberius'.

Clandestine's heart stopped when she heard the yell echo through the forest.


!!! I didn't realise she was so close for some reason?? but also yES Clanny!! she's starting to really hold her own (not that she wasn't before its just more,,, noticeable now? I guess?) and I love it and her.

That sounded like someone in pain, and it sounded too much like Matt for her to write it off as nothing.


implying that she,, wouldn't have stopped if it hadn't sounded like Matt?


I forgot to say it last time but!! I noticed Elliot's name has become consistent now yay! I know that's not actual criticism but I noticed it all the same


She didn't know how good the bounty hunter was at fighting, but if she wanted her best shot, she needed the advantage of surprise.


just make him crispy

What if he was some kind of trained assassin? What if she didn't make it out alive, and she was left dead in the forest, forgotten?


but you have mAGIC even as a last resort. also, poor clanny but also Let me actually get into something more then me wanting to wrap Clandestine in blankets. I love that she is so apprehensive about hurting people? So many protagonists are out there, floating around, who just will straight up stab someone and then be like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and it drives me nuts? I adore Clandestine for that fear, if that makes sense? She fights monsters and that's the line she's drawn, and now she's being challenged on her morals and I'm like?? super curious where you're gonna take her character on that.


I love that the horses are reacting to the situation?? Like, they're TRYIN TO HELP HER I know horses aren't like, objectively helpful usually unless their trained to do something but I still adore it and am ignoring that fact lol.


She couldn't bet on him sparing innocent horses.


implying the horses could be guilty

With a quick kiss on Billy's head,


o: o: o: !!!

"Hey, Tiberius! It's me! I'm here to save you!"


I,,, don't know what else to say about this line besides I love her.

"Muhh? Guh!" which made no sense at all.


oh no. see, she could have brought along a Sock-in-Mouth translator. they could have made sense of that.

"Oop!" she yelped


is she,,, the Nye version of a Midwesterner?

but he moved faster than her bullet, as if anticipating where it would go next.


*squints* I smell something More at work here. (magic?? is he an ILLEGAL)

As she blinked, her life flashed before her eyes...and Tiberius came out of nowhere.


Okay but Listen, if you are going to play into the "life flashed before their eyes" thing, can we at least, y'know, know some of the things that come immediately to her mind?

Was he trying to kill him?


no they're just playing.

Tiberius's eyebrows lifted slightly, and she could see the name click in his mind.


identity crisis who?
james, later: hey so clandestine? funny story...

Clandestine stared at him in disbelief. "What? I helped you escape, Matt! How about a thank you!"


Okay so 1) a little heavy on the italics? Goodness knows that italics are one of my greatness weaknesses alongside ellipses, but if they're used to frequently, they lose their purpose in a way? And I've noticed in your writing that it happens sometimes, so I thought I'd mention it.
2) wow TibeRIUS so grateful this one.

"Thank you," he said emotionlessly before he stood up.


so he felt guilty about what Alexander did to Clandestine back in town but now he's like "oh! suddenly I've found I don't care" ?
(I know I complain but it definitely felt odd in the beginning, in a good way! when he was Matt? Like, there's just sort something underlying a guess? I don't know how else to explain it, but I remember kind of finding "Matt" almost flat? but again, not in a bad way? aslkjflk I don't know how to PHRASE THAt but uhh,,, I was going to follow up with that by saying that now he feels like,,,,, a real person???? that doesn't make sense either *lies down* oK maybe its the dynamic between him and Clanny know? before it was so mellow and now it feels a little confrontational I guess??
rip I hope SOMETHING makes sense in that word goop.


She didn't want to kill Alex


SORRY I'M GOING BACKWARDS I just remembered I had seen this before and forgot to mention it but uhh, y'know. she doesn't know Alex's name yet?


Well! now I'm conflicted! I like Tiberus as a character more now than I did before, but on the other hand, he's being mean to Clandestine and I Don't Approve of that. sOUND!! *stomps feet like a child because I Am*


I don't think I have much to say about this chapter other? I'm excited Clanny and Tiberius are reunited and stuff and I'm really curious how Clandestine's going to handle all this and if Tiberius is going to be more honest with her (probably not I assume) but I guess we'll have to waIT (well, you don't have to, but I do).

aaaaa I hope you're having a wonderful time you're story is great and I'm having a Fun Time <33




soundofmind says...


AAAA I LOVE YOU AND THIS REVIEW OMG HAHAHAH... I'm so glad... you like my chapter titles. I don't intend on making them any less entertaining (as long as i still have memes and vines to reference). There might be a few more serious ones ;) but no worries

I love that she is so apprehensive about hurting people?

THANK U!!!! killing people is way different than killing a giant worm (or any other giant monster)

is she,,, the Nye version of a Midwesterner?

BAHAHAHAHAHA IM CRYING

*squints* I smell something More at work here. (magic?? is he an ILLEGAL)

YOU KNOW.... that's... that would be a great explanation but unfortunately he's just....... got very good.... senses adsjhkgflhjl

Okay but Listen, if you are going to play into the "life flashed before their eyes" thing, can we at least, y'know, know some of the things that come immediately to her mind?

...FAIR POINT. THat's something I can easily fix... aT SOME POINT

so he felt guilty about what Alexander did to Clandestine back in town but now he's like "oh! suddenly I've found I don't care" ?

To be fair!! this is from clandestine's pov!! and james's actions/words don't always accurately portray what he's really thinking

also i get what you're saying about matt vs tiberius!! that's honestly what i was going for! for matt to feel flat in some way! and for it to feel like oh! this tiberius (james)! now this is the real person!! SO THANK!!

IM SO GLAD YOU'RE LIKING THIS CHAPTER AND STORY AND IM GONNA CRY!! <3 <3



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 am
View Likes
Omni wrote a review...



Hey sound! Excited to see where this chapter goes, especially after that wonderful fight scene from last chapter :P

So I’m hesitant to say that Clandestine hearing Matt’s yell (or what she assumes is Matt’s yell) as being too convenient, because obviously she was searching for him and she can travel faster than Alexander dragging Matt along, but, well, it does seem awfully convenient, if this is the case. There’s so many variables that factor in to them being nowhere near each other. Like, she was unconscious for at least a few hours, she got attacked by bandits (which actually could have worked in her favor, moving her deeper into the woods), she might have taken a different route to the moon kingdom. There’s just too much working against this for me to shrug it off as “eh, it works”. That being said, I hesitate to say that it’s convenient because I can also understand, especially from a writer’s perspective, on how it would work well enough. However, there’s a lot of hoops you have to jump through to pull that off, and too many coincidences and things working just right for me not to say anything. It also needs to work, because, well, you need your MCs to get back together. Like I said two chapters ago, your story could get into a lull if they’re apart for too long with nothing else happening. So, I GET IT, but, it’s convenient, but not toooooo convenient. But still, I’m gonna squint at you for this XD

What a turnaround for Clandestine! She’s actually worrying about her life now. I know you and I talked about that last chapter review, but like, I’m glad you put it in the story. And, the thing is, it’s very subtle. I don’t think people would pick it up unless they were looking for it or if they went back to find it. Well done :D

Oh Clandestine, you’re gonna get yourself killed with not wanting to kill Alex. He will kill you if given the chance. Even letting him off with a pretty serious gunshot wound will still give him opportunity to do so. Your kindness may be your downfall.

I like the action here! It’s hard to follow at times, though, with some confusing switches (I didn’t know whether it was Alex doing some things or Clandestine, or where a gun came from at a point in time), but overall very good! I’m happy that you’ve given me two action scenes in a row! I’m also excited to see their interactions in the next couple of chapters. He’s a completely different person, but I also don’t want him to seem one note, like, rejecting Clandestine the entire time. Alex might throw in a nice wrench or two. I wonder if he’s going to be a recurring character now, or just a one-shot villain who disappears after they find a way to get rid of him. And I also want to see more of the goblins. Now that you wrote something in their perspective, I want to see more XD GIVE ME MOAR but seriously, you could definitely do something with the she-goblin from the one-off. I like the revenge story, but it really went nowhere. Also, I do have to point out that last chapter, Clandestine was definitely exhausted from her use of power. I didn’t get to see the ramifications of that here. Anyway, great story! Can’t wait for next week :D




soundofmind says...


Me, writing this: this is really conveninent.... but idk what else to do right now

Lol. I getchu. You can keep squinting :,)

also good grief lol yes I PLAN TO DO MORE WITH THE GOBLINS i just need to ,,, actually,,, plan it in and think about it more! BUT I WANT TO!!

sdahglkjh Her magic would've exhausted her a bit but she did have some time in the traveling to recoup so I didn't think it was worth mentioning. Especially since it wasn't like, a big move of magic like bending that huge bonfire flame was.

BUT ANYWHO uHHH
HECK THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE REVIEW <3



soundofmind says...


lowkey though did you see the previous chapter just cause,, you didn't like or comment which IS FINE i just wanted to make sure you saw it for continuity since i know i posted these last two close togetherish



Omni says...


I actually didn't! This week has been rough, lol but I'll get to it hopefully tomorrow. XD this review was acting like 11.2 was the last one whoops

Regaring the convenience, just, Idk either on what you could do to make this less eye-squinting. I'm sure there's something (like, definitely remember that Matt was gagged so oof) here that would work... better? but it's hard

ALSO YES MORE GOBLINS



soundofmind says...


THE YELL SHE HEARD WAS ACTUALLY, BEFORE HE GOT Uh, GAGGed,,, it was from the first... stab... when the knife was thrown

BUT DUDE ITS OK I TOTALLY GET IT!! there's something in the previous part that might help with the eye-squintyness?? i wasn't sure if you read it and still thought it was squint worthy but YEAH



Omni says...


I am eternally squinty

but yes I'll read and review ASAP :P






Omni says...


yussss




Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson