The Lost Dragon 10.1

by soundofmind

Chapter 10 Part 1: You Know He Had to Do it to Em

Matt kept his head low as he walked into town.

He took an unassuming posture; relaxed but withdrawn. He didn't speak to anyone he didn't need to, let his hat shade most of his face, and ignored the heckling salesmen and women by their colorful booths in the market. Music trickled down the alleyways somewhere from a bustling tavern, with the chatter of buyers and sellers otherwise adding to the choir of noise. The sun still beat down with the same persistence of the desert, but there was a fresh breeze in the air that cleared the dust from his lungs. The moisture in the air was slowly rehydrating his coarse hands, and he could feel the humidity rising as the sun descended from the sky.

After an afternoon of walking through the streets, he found his way to a less desirable part of town; an inn, just beside a loud and rowdy bar (amongst other things). He settled Elliot in the nearby stable, giving his horse a small kiss on the head before making his departure.

When he finally made it to his room, he dropped his bag to the floor beside the bed and fell back into it with his legs dangling off. It had been two days since he'd left Clandestine back in the forest, and his mind had been in a haze ever since.

He didn't doubt that she would've found her way to the road and made it to the town as well. Someone like Clandestine would be able to manage herself with the money she had on her and would start hunting for jobs again just as she had in the last town they'd met in.

He did, of course, briefly consider the possibility that they would run into each other again, but it was unlikely. The town was large, busy, and well-populated. He didn't plan on staying more than a night, and he didn't plan on being social either. If everything went as planned, he would sleep in the inn that night, wake up, and leave. No one would notice him, and he'd be on his way.

But there was still something he needed to take care of. With a sigh, he sat up slowly and looked about the room.

The room was longer than it was wide. He sat on the twin-sized bed that sat beneath the room's one window. To the left, on the adjacent wall was a small fireplace. Though the fire wasn't lit, there was a small stack of wood beside it in a wire frame. A worn-out circle rug covered most of the floor, and the triangular pattern running across it in whites and pale reds was faded and matted in the walk-ways. The walls were covered in a pale yellow wallpaper, and on the wall opposite to the fireplace there was a simple desk and a chair.

Matt made a bee-line for the desk, and with a quick movement lifted it up and carried over to the door, placing it up against it. He glanced back at the chair, pausing for a moment before he grabbed it and added it to the blockade for good measure.

With the hall-door secure, if only for a few extra seconds, all he had to worry about was the window, so he returned to the bed and sat down, reaching down to his bag to pull out his journal.

He turned the leather-bound journal in his hands, tapping his fingers against the cover in trepidation.

Every time someone read it, it felt just as invasive as the last. And every time someone read it, he felt the overwhelming urge to throw it away. To burn it. The past four years of his life in the pages, consumed by flame, destined to be forgotten with the passing of time despite how desperately he clung to them.

In all his travels, he only had two constants: his journal and his horse. If ever he lost them, he would get them back. But the more he thought about what lied between the pages the more he thought about the moments where its existence only sabotaged any and every possible relationship he could ever have under an alias.

His eyes flicked over to the fireplace.

Writing keeps me sane. He brushed against the pages with his thumb. It helps me remember. He pulled out a sparkstone from his pocket. It helps me process.

Hesitantly, he pulled the folded up maps out of the journal's worn-out pages. He slipped them into his jacket pocket, and didn't let himself open the journal, lest he be tempted to rethink his decision again. He got up and stacked the wood in the fireplace, placed his journal at the center and sent sparks into the pages. As he watched the flames slowly eat away at his words, he backed away, shoving the stone back into his pocket and trying to desperately convince himself he'd done the right thing as the dread settled in.

It's more trouble than it's worth. It's more trouble than it's worth, he repeated to himself.

The less you hold on to, the better.

--

Clandestine waited before she followed after Matt.

She didn't want to admit it was mostly because she was sulking, but it was. That, and she didn't want to run into Matt on her way to the town. She knew he was probably traveling fast to get away from her, but she didn't want to risk the indescribable awkwardness that would result in. She could just imagine: her, merging onto the road. Him, slowly turning back to look at her. Or worse: not looking at her at all as he sped away.

She was relieved when she finally made it into the town, though.

She couldn't stop herself from consciously searching the crowds for Matt and Elliot when she entered the streets, but by that time, it was already evening. The sun was getting low in the sky, and people were starting to close their shops and head home to rest. Only a few taverns still had their lights on, so she settled for the one that looked the least intimidating. It had a nice friendly little sign that read 'drinks and a warm meal,' and that was all she wanted after a long day of traveling alone and feeling terrible about herself.

After tying up Billy, she dragged her feet into the tavern. An unusual blend of smells hit her, but none of them were unwelcome. Among them, she could identify different savory and spicy flavors of food, which immediately made her mouth water. She hurried her way up to the counter and made her order, spending a little extra for a big bowl of stew that she gratefully held between her hands when she found a table in the corner of the establishment where she could mope by herself.

Even though it was a hot day, she enjoyed the feeling of hot food warming her stomach. And though she usually enjoyed chatting with strangers she was feeling unusually withdrawn. She watched interactions play out around the room; the couple who looked like they were arguing quietly, the woman who was falling asleep as she poked at her fish, and the guy who was drinking a beer just a table down. He looked pretty young, and a little like her. He had darker skin and thick, black hair, apart from the premature greys around his temples. She wondered if he was from the north, like her. Even if he was, it wouldn't mean he knew anyone she did of course, namely because of her age, but she did enjoy coming up with a made-up past about him in her head for her own entertainment.

And all was going well - until the guy made eye contact with her and noticed her staring.

"Oh! Uh, sorry," she laughed with her teeth grit into an uncomfortable smile. "Spacing out is all," she mumbled.

"No worries," he said casually, smiling back with more sincerity than she had. His gaze drifted down to her bowl and lingered. "Rough day?"

She followed his gaze, not really understanding the correlation between a bad day and good food, but then realized it was probably plain on her face if anything. Lynette had always told her she wasn't very good at hiding her emotions.

"I guess so," she said with a shrug of one shoulder.

"Mm," he hummed with a nod of his head in understanding. "Sorry about that. Hope tomorrow is better for you."

Clandestine nodded, but she didn't really have hopes for tomorrow. She rested her chin in one palm and poked at the remains of her stew. "Yeah," was all she said as she stared out into the tavern. She had expected the conversation to end there. Most conversations did when they came to a lull like that, but then he asked a question.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking?"

She turned her chin in her palm and looked over at him, her lips pursing into a frown. "Uh," she dropped her eyes. "A friend kind of, uh, left me. On bad terms. It was mostly my fault, really. Or at least, I think it was. I really don't know anymore."

"I'm sure it wasn't entirely your fault," he replied, his sympathy clear in his tone. "But that's awful. I'm sorry they left you. Were you close?"

Clandestine dropped her hand from her chin and went back to cupping her bowl in her hands as she stared down into it.

"I thought we were," she said quietly. "But I guess not. I think he's... different than I expected him to be."

A pause. She looked up to see the guy taking a sip from his drink, only to make awkward eye contact with him again while he was doing so. She cleared her throat and looked away, and he put his cup down abruptly, doing the same.

"Most people are," he said. "Different than you expect, that is."

Clandestine furrowed her brows. "That makes it sound like everyone's a liar."

The guy chuckled. "We all lie in little ways, but who am I to say? Besides, was he a liar?"

Clandestine grinned, trying to join in the laughter, but couldn't.

"Yeah."

There was another lull between them. She was content finishing off her stew and regretting putting so much trust in Matt on the front end of things. She knew she had a tendency to jump into things head first without thinking, but most of the time, they ended alright. Or they did with monster hunting, anyway.

"Have you thought of going to look for him? Were you heading in the same direction?" the guy asked, looking over at her curiously.

That made her laugh. "He barely let me apologize before. I don't think he will again."

"True. I guess I just thought it sounded like you were still needing some closure. And in a big world like this, you might not get a chance to see him again if you don't think he'll stay in town. Was just thinking it might be worth it. If anything, for your sake. But hey," he smiled, shrugging with his glass in his hand. "You didn't ask me for advice, so I'll shut up now."

Clandestine stared at him.

She didn't want to tell him so, but he had a point. If she didn't try to look for him now, while he was still close, the next time she might find him, he could be under a gravestone - or worse, she'd never see him at all. She didn't know exactly what she'd want to say to him, but... she had been wasting all of her time moping when she could've spent that time looking for him. The least she could do was- was give him a piece of her mind! Or at least tell him he looked funny in his hat! Even though... she liked his hat. And his hair. And his smile.

She shook her head and stood up.

"Thank you, random tavern guy," she said with a firm nod.

"I think you're right. I've gotta go now."

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:46 am
DreamyAlice wrote a review...

Hey, Alice is here to give a review!!!

"I'm sure it wasn't entirely your fault," he replied, his sympathy clear in his tone.

Tavern guy, you are absolutely right!

but he had a point. If she didn't try to look for him now, while he was still close, the next time she might find him, he could be under a gravestone - or worse

No Clanny! No! Don't forget how he left you in the forest don't be silly enough to find him now.
Well, I want them to meet but accidentally or something I don't want Clanny to go looking for him.

possibility that they would run into each other again, but it was unlikely

BOI YOU ARE VERY WRONG!

Let's see what happens!

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:07 am
Carina says...

ok carina, let's just have u accidentally foreshadow james (probably) going mad by burning his notebook, a whole 4 years after asking what'd happen if he had no notebook, HUH? I HOPE HE DON'T LOSE ELLIOT. OTHERWISE BOI WILL GO WHACKO

I bet u 200 carina nickels that that random tavern guy is alexander

DreamyAlice says...

Carina, I also guess it's Alexandra lets see what happens

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am

And we begin Chapter 10.

First Impression: Well interesting move by Matt there. Pretty unexpected. And Clandestine wanting to go locate Matt based on a random guy in a tavern. Seems like a very large coincidence with this being a point that was shoved in for her to go find Matt again but well it's not the worse way to do it.

Sounds like a familiar routine for him.

Well that's a great description there. Also sounds like Matt is going to get some more development as a character by this course of action.

Definitely not something that typically happens after a lull in a conversation. But the conversation is written very well so that's great.

Okay some of the questions this guy is asking feel a touch scripted in these spots. Almost like someone told him the perfect questions to ask such that the question would go in the direction that it ended up going in.

She shook her head and stood up.

It's a bit hard to figure out who's line that last one is.

And that's it for the beginning of chapter 10.

Overall: Pacing is getting slower and slower with the chapters I feel. The plot is crawling forward bit by bit with it centered mostly around this drama. I hope some spice is added to this soon. Other than that the characters appear to be experiencing some growth and learning from mistakes so that is overall pretty good.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:54 pm
Omni wrote a review...

Okay so super pumped so let’s jump into this!

He didn't speak to anyone he didn't need to, let his had shade most of his face,

*hat

he would sleep in the in that night, wake up, and leave.

*inn

I really am not sure what’s in that journal that requires it to be burned after someone reads it. Like, sure it’s personal and it’s a pretty big invasion of privacy, but burning it afterwards? Unless you have some kind of plans for world destruction in there that someone could track you through, I think that’s a bit dramatIC DON’T YOU JAMES.

I bicker about that, but it’s actually a really good scene. I think James is just really freaking paranoid and refuses to let himself trust people. If I’m gonna be honest, he really stepped into this situation himself. Clandestine gave him multiple opportunities to trust her, and he refused every single one of them, causing distrust in one of the single most trusting people I have ever seen. I don’t condone what she did, but when you’re giving her little to nothing while she told you a deep dark secret, it’s not hard to see why she did it.

And, of course Clandestine would follow Matt. Like, did he expect her not to? They’re also probably going to the same town, if they didn’t mean to follow each other.

This new guy with Clandestine is nice! That makes me very suspicious xD OH IS THIS GUY MAYBE ALEXANDER? THAT WOULD MAKE A LOT OF SENSE WHY HE IS SO NICE. I refuse to believe this is just a random guy now. Like, it would be really hard to justify Alexander being in the same place as Matt and Clandestine because well, they were lost for a while and then ended up stumbling upon this town. But, perhaps he was tracking them their entire time through the woods and just got to town before they did.

Uh oh Clandestine you might’ve gotten yourself in trouble! So, questionable decisions all around this chapter, but I’m sure they’ll be explored further in the next chapter part. I’m excited to see how you get this ball rolling! Some time apart from each other might actually do them well, y’know? Can’t wait to read the next part ^^

soundofmind says...

I think that%u2019s a bit dramatIC DON%u2019T YOU JAMES.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL yeah he's just way too paranoid at this point. It's SAD!

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:14 pm
mellifera wrote a review...

hey sound! let's hop right into it, shall we?

his hat?

The sun still beat down with the same persistence of the desert,

Does this mean he's back in the desert in a desert town, or is just hot like the desert? More description please because I haven't demanded enough of it lately (and actually forgot to mention that last chapter, during the argument and even during the night sequence where Clanny snooped in Matt's journal, it felt a little stale because there was so much dialogue and not much to balance it out).

Also, you're still calling him Matt, which is interesting. I'm kinda guessing you'll leave him name up for more of a big reveal? Is he just going to keep using his Matt alias for a while even though he's not with Clandestine anymore?

just beside a loud and rowdy bar (amongst other things)

"amongst other things" haha perfect.

Matt made a bee-line for the desk,

He seems like his really tired, so adding in something like "he made a beeline for the door" seems like an odd action for him? Like, if I'm tired, I'm not making a beeline anywhere.
further reading: oh he just picks the whole thing up never mind haha.

Every time someone read it, it felt just as invasive as the last.

Every time? Clandestine's not the first one to snoop then? I figure something about Matt has to do with the journal, but I'm not sure what yet. Can he feel when someone reads it? Is a part of him like, in the journal?

He pulled out a sparkstone from his pocket.

a...sparkstone?

Oh what he's burning the journal?? I have a feeling that it's gonna come back to bite him? But maybe I'm wrong. Is it even his journal? Was there a reason, besides trying to stay sane, that Matt was writing it?
Also, not as relevant, but now that we've kinda seen the shift in Matt's character, does he still have the same feelings about magic? I don't think he's going to go around and snitch on Clandestine having magic, but I'm still curious about what he's going to do with that information since he has it.

She knew he was probably traveling fast to get away from her, but she didn't want to risk the indescribable awkwardness that would result in.

How would it be any better if she ran into him in town?

After tying up Billy,

Where did she tie him up? And isn't she worried, if she ties him up in plain sight, that Matt might see Billy before she sees him and leave again?

namely because of her age

haha sometimes I forgot the Clanny's like, a hundred years old.

*squints* I am suspicious of this guy, but I feel like he may have something to do with the plot. or even Matt. or maybe I'm just reading into things waaaayyy too much lol (I bet I am).

Reading ahead, now I get the impression I was wrong and random tavern guy isn't going to be that pivotal to the plot. Still, it feels a little too random and convenient for him to push her into going after Matt. Because she was already going after him, wasn't she? Why does she need that push?

Anyway, I don't have much else to add because I'm finishing this up on mobile so I could actually give it to you haha. Hopefully I'll be back soon to find out what happens!

(Oh just, quick closing thought: the pace is starting to get slow to me? Maybe it's just cause the chapters are spread out into different parts, but there hasn't been many stakes aside from Matt leaving? I'd like to see some more shenanigans, yknow?)

I hope you're having a fantastic time! <3

soundofmind says...

You: MORE DESCRIPTION BLEASE
Me: *sweating* y-yeS uh... blue.. howse... air... dry... d-desert *fumbles with thesaurus in hands and drops it* Yes

In all seriousness yES I need to describe more and just more CLEARLY. Gosh I am so,, lazy.

Is a part of him like, in the journal?

ASdhgjfhldkj WELL I MEAN,, idk about u but my journals are v personal so anyone reading them is like a huge invasion of privacy and feelsBADMAN

a...sparkstone?

I PROBABLY COULDA EXPLAINED WHAT IT IS but really a sparkstone is just a stone that you can start a fire with/strike a match on or whatever. Rub it against something hard and boom, lil flame kinda thing

Is it even his journal? Was there a reason, besides trying to stay sane, that Matt was writing it?

Ashdjkfhlkjg yeah it's his journal!! And I mean, not super spoilery but
HE LIKES TO WRITE SO THAT'S ALSO A REASON TO WRITE

And isn't she worried, if she ties him up in plain sight, that Matt might see Billy before she sees him and leave again?

tbh I don't think Clandestine would even think of that but that is a FAIR POINT

Because she was already going after him, wasn't she? Why does she need that push?

OH shoot uh, I mean, I guess she hadn't actually decided to go after him until the push from tavern guy? She was feeling really discouraged and wasn't REALLY going to. They just ended up in the same town because they followed the same path since it was the shortest way to not stay lost in the forest.

ALSO aaAAA yeah I notice it's getting slow here too. I'll try to balance out that stuff -action and pauses - more in future chapters!

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:12 pm
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...

Another great chapter and I am soo hooked into your story! I believe that each chapter gets better! You have a great plot here, you write it out well, and the emotion and description is also very well written. Now, I'll jump right into this review and get out of your hair!

So, this sentence I found awkward:
"He didn't speak to anyone he didn't need to, let his had shade most of his face, and ignored the heckling salesmen and women by their colorful booths in the market."

Just a few minor fixes and I think it would flow smoother.
"He didn't speak to anyone, he didn't need to. He let his hat shade most of his face and ignored the heckling salesmen and women by their colorful booths in the market." I just added one word, actually, but sometimes, that's all it takes! I hoped this helped some, Keep up the great work!

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much and I'm so glad you're still following the story!!

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
— Sylvia Plath