z

Young Writers Society



'The Strangest Dream' or 'The Ride of Nancy Nimbleheimer'

by sokool15


This is a true account of a dream I had last night. It was so strange and funny...it starts out like any old dream, but then weird, hilarious things start happening. I had to write it down and post it. Please crit!

The Strangest Dream

or

The Ride of Nancy Nimbleheimer

I sit on top of the car, my arms on my knees and my chin resting on my hands. I gaze out over the busy, dusty parking lot, and tears roll down my face like a river of salt. I am inexpressibly sad, but there is no reason for my sadness. As the tears fall, drop by crystal drop, sweet and sad music begins to play. The violins are sobbing out heart-wrenching melodies that are a sound-track to my unknown sorrow.

People are passing by, and I recognize most of them. They are my friends, or those I called my friends, yet they do not stop; they do not speak. They keep their faces turned away from me, and I am glad that they do not witness my sorrow. I wonder if they, too, can hear the music that calls these sad feelings forth from my soul, and then I know that they cannot, for if they could, they also would be overflowing with these same tears.

Then another figure begins to come towards me. At first I cannot make out who it is, but as it approaches I see that it is a woman on an old-fashioned bicycle. She has long, fire-red, tightly curled hair and is wearing a blue jean dress that rises above her ankles as she pumps the pedals on her rusty bike. In one hand she carries a wooden bowl and with the other she steers the bike. As she nears me, I see that she is throwing something from the bowl...she is throwing small, shiny bubbles. Rainbow-fluorescent bubbles that spin and float, then land and make a small wet mark on the sidewalk. Then, as she passes me, she flings her arms wide, throws back her head and shouts,

"I am Nancy Nimbleheimer, and I have come to conquer the world!"

I am so startled that I almost begin to smile. The music of the violins begins to fade, and then it is gone altogether. I stare at the woman, and she grins widely at me, throwing back her head and flinging her arms wide once again.

"I am Nancy Nimbleheimer, and I have come to conquer the world!"

Her voice is high, shrill, and sounds incredibly happy and forceful. I don't know what to say, except,

"Uh...good luck!"

She grins and nods.

"Thanks! I'll remember you when I return!"

Then, with one more flash of bright rainbow bubbles, she is gone. I resettle myself on the trunk of the car, trying to call back a memory of the sad music and the unknown sorrow that I had within me. Yet I cannot. I begin to be frustrated, because Nancy Nimbleheimer has destroyed that deliciously miserable feeling I had. Before I can begin to remember my sorrow or fulfill my anger, I hear a shrill voice approaching. I sigh and turn towards the voice. Has Nancy Nimbleheimer given up so soon? She is approaching from the same direction she had come from at first, and I listen for her cries. They have changed, now...

"I am Nancy Nimbleheimer, and I have conquered the world! I am Nancy Nimbleheimer, and I have conquered the world!"

Her voice is still happy and forceful. She grins at me and winks, throwing a large, wet bubble into my face, where it pops with a wet, soapy blat. I wipe my face and get up, following Nancy Nimbleheimer through the parking lot. I am laughing quietly and I want to see where this lunatic is going. She enters a store called 'Rite Aid' and rides her bike up to the counter. There is a chubby, short man with a salt-and-pepper beard standing there, surrounded by candy and toys, and all the other harmless things that usually fill Rite Aid. Nancy Nimbleheimer's voice still retains it's shrill, shouting, happy quality as she addresses the man.

"My good man, it occurs to me that you need less of this namby-pamby merchandise and more high-powered guns."

I cover my mouth and snicker, unable to believe my ears. The man at the counter, however, does not even blink. He reaches underneath his counter where the medicine would usually be, and pulls out the largest machine gun I have ever seen. He holds it up proudly and shows it to Nancy Nimbleheimer.

"Guns like...this, you mean?" he says with a flourish.

Nancy Nimbleheimer jumps up and down and claps her hands, saying in her happy voice,

"Yes! Yes, that's perfect! Do you have a good supply of those?"

The man nods and grins at her happily.

"A whole storehouse full. I'll stock up right now."

With one arm he sweeps a shelf of toys off onto the floor where they land in a colorful plastic heap. Then he sets his large machine gun on top of the shelf where it stands, gleaming blackly and menacingly.

I am so overcome with surprise and laughter by this turn of events that I have to get out of the store before either one of them notices that I am laughing at them. I begin to walk across the parking lot. I am on my way home, filled with happier thoughts than I was when I left. But then, perhaps that is the effect Nancy Nimbleheimer has on people. [/i]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 1215
Reviews: 378

Donate
Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:58 pm
sokool15 says...



Thanks all for the great crits...I just changed the 'salty' stuff. I think you're right...it might make a good longer story. If you ever see something on this sight that contains the word 'Nancy Nimbleheimer,' you'll know where it came from!
Yours I remain, 8)




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:38 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...



"I am Nancy Nimbleheimer, and I have come to conquer the world!"

I wish I'd had this dream, LMAO. It sounds like a great deal of fun.

I second BlackDove - this was beautifully written, with just the right note of whimsy. A few nitpicks with words here and there but I'm too tired to go into them, so I'll just point out the one place where I think "salty" should be changed - the last time you say "salty sorrow" I'd change it to "tears" and then it will probably work out right.

Other than that, though, a gorgeous piece. Would make a great story...

**adds to favourites**




User avatar


Points: 790
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:25 am
RunnerGirl05 wrote a review...



Hey!

This was really interesting, I enjoyed reading it. I don't think I can really critique it considering that it is your dream, and you can't really change what you dream, but I can give you some advie. :) If you want, you could use this as a basis for a longer story, I think that might be interesting. You can expand on the Nancy Nimbleheimer as a character, or yourself and your really sad to really happy feelings. I think that would be interesting if you ever couldn't think of a story idea.

Otherwise, the writing was good and clear but I do agree that you do use the word "salty" one too many times, maybe cut it out in some place. Other than that, it was good, and full of emotion and description. It really felt like a dream. Good job! :D




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 27

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:33 pm
BlackDove wrote a review...



why do i find this dream chilling and slightly disturbing?

you say you had this dream yourself?

Maybe it's because of what everything symbolises. for example, when the woman has taken over the world, she walk into the store and demands that the man (he represents the whole of humanity) has no need of his childish innocence and happiness (the toys, candy etc) and needs soemthing evil, painfilled and war (the guns) and he proudly provides. You then leave the store happy. Why? because she has manipulated and affected you in some way. this is strangly chilling in some way.

this dream obviosly symbolised your life. As you sit and cry, watching your friends pass you by, wondering if they feel the same, and then a strange woman comes and changes your mood, your life and you follow her blindly, laughing and feeling happy in what she is doing... even though she is putting GUNS on the shelves. don't you find this frightening? i certainly do!

anyway, back to yours actual writing. No matter, what you said at the start i would have realised you were writing about a dream. it has a simple, yet beautiful and unreal quality to it. You managed this perfectly. well done!! you should write down your dreams more often and contemplat what they mean. i used to do this and i learned a lot. i can now sort of tell the meaning of dreams and the like.

but there is a floaty, sort of fantasy around this and you have achived this well. a nice style and promising talent. i can almost see the hazy mist surounding everything and the dreamy state that has frozen the air. this FEELS like a dream.

keep writing
yours
BlackDove




User avatar
78 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 78

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:15 pm
bkwrm wrote a review...



Hey this is a great! A visiting author once told pupils at my school that writing down your dreams helps when you're stuck for inspiration. I must admit I was sceptical, but this has convineced me otherwise. i think you could use the images from your dream to create a story easily. I hope you do -I'd love to know more about Nancy Nimbleheimer. She's such a fantastic character! Bkwrm




User avatar
410 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 410

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:04 pm
Alainna wrote a review...



Hehe!! :lol:

That is a mixture of weird, funny and sad. But it is all written really well.

I doubt i can crit much on the story ( as it is your dream...) so instead I'll just say that you used the word 'salty' too much. (Which i can see is a pathetic crit!!)

Very entertaining, long live Nancy Nimbleheimer!

Alainna,
xxx





I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson