Below

by smorgishborg

Below

Michael stands completely still stage right. He is angry and depressed, and he is staring down in front of his feet. After a few seconds, Paul comes onstage left, perhaps climbing on from the front row of the audience. He dusts himself off, and then notices Michael. All dialogue should be conducted at a level slightly above normal speech, the characters are communicating from the tops of two opposite apartment buildings.

Paul: (embarrassed) Hey! (no response) Hey! (He tries for a third time) Hey you! I’m-

Michael: Can’t you see that I’m trying to have a moment here?

Paul: Oh. Sorry. (pause) It’s just that I was up here too, and I thought it was weird… (He stops, and decides to say something different.) Nice weather we’re having isn’t it?

Michael: (indulging him) It’s very nice. The right temperature too.

Paul: Yes, it really is. And the sky is so blue.

Michael: Very blue.

There is a pause as both look up at the sky. Then finally Paul looks down.

Paul: We’re very high up.

Michael: Definitely.

Paul: I mean, (he steals a furtive glance at the street below) really high up. If you fell it would really hurt.

Michael: You’d be dead.

Paul: Yeah, you would. (pause) And the breeze is really light, but really nice.

Michael: Yeah it is.

There’s another pause. More awkward then the first.

Paul: Why are you up here?

Michael: Why do you want to know? Why are you up here?

Paul: Just… getting some fresh air. And you?

Michael: I’m gonna jump.

Paul: Oh.

Michael: I’m going to leap off this building. And fall for 2.3 seconds until I meet the sidewalk.

Paul: Oh. (long pause) I was going to jump too.

Michael: I thought so. (another pause) What’s your reason?

Paul: Well, nothing’s been going right for me since… well… since forever. But last week I got fired from my job. It wasn’t pleasant. And then, two days ago my girlfriend brought me to her house to tell me that… well that she was married and that she felt really bad about misleading me and really bad about her husband, but that she was going back to him. It wasn’t pleasant either. Then, there was that fire several weeks ago, and my apartment was threatened and the department completely washed it out to protect it. Well, the wind changed and the fire never got near it, and a lot of my stuff was destroyed. And then, this morning, my car got pushed into the river… from the parking lot no less. It wasn’t very pleasant… the accident I mean. The car was nice. And relatively new. And I thought; well, now you’re gonna have to call a taxi and pay a fortune to get back home and when you get there, you’ll still be single and everything is still wet. Why not stay here? Why not never leave?

Michael: So you’re gonna jump.

Paul: Yep. Sooner or later.

Michael: (laughs) Well don’t you wanna know why I’m here? Wanna know if I can top you?

Paul: Go ahead.

Michael: I got fired recently too. At the, at the last minute, my higher up cut me. I was the last person to go. So I left. And went home. And there, my wife told me she had been having an affair with another guy. She spouted some bs about wanting me back, and I saw right through it, and called my lawyer to sue for divorce. Well, turns out that divorce costs a fortune too, and if that didn’t make matters worse, my house was actually in that fire, and so I was actually told all of this in a crappy one room motel room that we had rented. So then, the final straw was me ramming a car in the parking lot this morning, and I’ll have to pay a fortune for that too. What color was your car?

Paul: (in disbelief) Copper.

Michael: Yep, that was yours. How much do I owe you?

Paul: You totaled my car! I can’t believe it.

Michael: (somewhat to himself) Make every man a king, for every single day…

Michael pulls out his wallet and extracts his credit card. He throws it across to Paul, but it doesn’t fly well and lands short, perhaps falling off the stage apron. Both watch it fall.

Michael: (yelling down to the person who presumably picked up the card) Don’t return it! Cash it quick!

Paul: I can’t believe it. I want Sarah back.

Michael: Who?

Paul: My girlfriend. Or, my ex-girlfriend. Sarah.

Michael: My wife was named Sarah. She had long black hair, and green eyes. Five foot ten.

Paul: Um… this is interesting. That sounds a lot like…

Michael: (picking up a rock or a loose piece of roof and throwing it, this time, he hits Paul, or comes very close) You bastard!

Paul: Hey, watch it! (another missile sails by) Hey, stop that, I didn’t know she was married. (He picks up something from his roof and throws it back. They continue to exchange rocks.)

Michael: (with menace) If I could come over to you…

Paul: (gives as good as he gets) If I could come over to you! Ha! You can insult me all you want from over there, but if I could look at you face to face. You smashed my car, you married my girlfriend!

Michael: You stole my wife, and you ruined my life!

They stop throwing things, if only to yell at each other better.

Paul: You know what I want to do to you? I wanna wring your goddamn neck!

Michael: I’m gonna make you pay for what you did to me!

Paul: I hope you’re satisfied!

Michael: I hope you’re satisfied!

There is a pause as they glare at each other. The tension ebbs between them as they realize how ridiculous, how comic the situation is. After a long pause, Paul starts to laugh.

Michael: What is so funny?

Paul: This. All of this is hilarious. Here we are. The people who would like to kill each other, so close and yet it’s impossible for us to reach each other. And here we are throwing stones and tiling. Before we jump. Before we leap off and fall 2.3 seconds and meet our end upon the pavement. What the hell are we doing throwing things at each other?

Michael: I’d love to have the satisfaction of pushing you off before me.

Paul: And so would I. And yet… that’s impossible.

Michael: (wearily) So what’s the point? Do we both jump at the same time or something?

Paul: (hesitantly) Don’t jump. Look man, Sarah loves you. I ought to know, she told me in many many words in the course of an evening. She was distraught when she told me, she felt awful. I was wondering why she didn’t jump, in the state she was in. I don’t think she ever loved me as much as she loved you man. I never felt what we had going was… permanent. But it hurt. I did love her. I didn’t know you got to her first.

Michael: I do love her. It’s just that, I felt betrayed. She’s a beautiful person.

Paul: (forlornly) I know.

Michael: (he takes a step forward and peers over the edge of the building) I don’t want to go back.

Paul: (almost unconvinced) You’ve got more to go back for then me I think. You’ve got a lot to go back for. You’ve got a caring wife. You’ll pull through. I think you’ll be able to get back on your feet sooner or later. Things will be better. You gotta know that man.

Michael: Perhaps. But that’s not saying much…

Paul: No. It isn’t. But I think I know. What did you do?

Michael: I’m a journalist. Long hours, unpredictable hours, you know… (lightening up for perhaps the first time) I had to report on the fire that destroyed my own apartment. It killed a lady in my building... … What are you?

Paul: I’m a meteorologist. I worked for the news, channel 5 at 10 in the morning. Never in front of the camera, just feeding the photogenic people their info…

Michael: (toeing the edge) It’s a beautiful day.

Paul: Yeah, it is.

Paul jumps. This should be obvious but not too blatant. He shouldn’t jump off the stage or make any kind of noise. I imagine him stepping forward and closing his eyes. Then slowly walking offstage.

Michael: (looking down) Oh god! I can’t believe it! (he steps back from the edge, repulsed) Oh that’s horrible! (He can’t stop staring) Oh god, he just calmly just… oh god! He just walked right over! Oh god, and there’s people all around. Oh it’s a mess, it’s all bloody oh god, oh god! (He backs up further stage left and falls into a seated position, grabbing his knees) Oh god, I don’t want to look like that, I don’t want to… I want to stay here, I don’t want to fall. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.

He rushes offstage. Fade out.

Fin.

***

There are some rather serious problems with this play, and as I'm entering it in a NYSTEA (NewYorkSateTheaterEducatorsAssosiation) contest, I'd like to get some help in working out the kinks.

+ I think it's waaay to short, it feels rushed to me.

+ I don't think there's enough emotion coming through the script. Undoubtedly it will be more convincing onstage, but the more obvious it is in writing, the more obvious it will be onstage. This applies to the fight, and to the sense of loss.

+ Should Michael stay onstage at the end? Or should he leave?

+ Is Paul's jump both surprising but also the kind of event where everyone always says; "We should have known" or "If only we had seen the signs"?

Any suggestions for making this one respectable are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: This has been submitted, along with a good many revisions. Gadi will be please to know that I bulldozed that one line at the end, its only relevance is to the plot now. Thanks for your help!

Gadi. wrote a review...

Amazing. This is a great script. I loved it--one of the best I read on here, and though I liked some of your other ones better, this one was fascinating, less for the comic effect and more for the philosophical. Your dialgoue is, as usual, excellent, and your setting and direction notes were spectacular. I could totally imagine the two standing there on a stage, ordinary clothes. So great job on that.

No, I didn't feel it was rushed. I thought the ending was good--it certainly was a surprise for me when he jumped. Sort of Woody Allen-esque, Crash-like. So good job on the surprise effect.

The one line I had an immense problem with was:

"Paul: This. All of this is hilarious. Here we are. The people who would like to kill each other, so close and yet it’s impossible for us to reach each other. And here we are throwing stones and tiling. Before we jump. Before we leap off and fall 2.3 seconds and meet our end upon the pavement. What the hell are we doing throwing things at each other? "

I hate it when you do that. And you do that a lot. It's like you sort of summarize everything that is good with your script and the problems of human beings and all the philosophical richness and then ruin it all by having your main character say it. It's terrible. You did that in the Top Hat script too. It's gross.

Otherwise, everything was original and sharp. Congratulations!

ChurlishLassy wrote a review...

Well in the first place the plot is cliche, I have seen about five diffrent storys in diffrent mediums, movie, scripts, storys blah, about two suicidal people talking, and blah. I liked the setting of two people on alternate rooftops, but that was about it. Paul and Micheal are very similar, so similar in fact it doesn't really make sense the wife would cheat for essentually the same man, but you don't nessesarily need to justify that.
Maybe you can make one of the characters condecending, like, "yeah, sure you're going to jump," like disbelieving the other has the guts, and have the character who apparently doesn't have the guts jump, or not.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm
busboys and poets wrote a review...

Michael: I thought to.

Should be "thought so," yes?

Make very man a king

Make 'every' man a king?

I’d love to have the satisfaction of pushing off before me.

Should the word 'you' be inserted between 'pushing' and 'off?'

As for the concerns you voiced at the end:

I couldn't really comment much on the length; it seemed like a good duration to me, not too rushed, not too airy, but I have no idea what length it should ideally be for NYSTEA.

One way to imbue emotion in a script is to describe how the characters should carry themselves, or what they're wearing; perhaps you could get more into that? A man who slouches and has a few days' worth of stubble and a stain on his dress shirt has a very different air than a man who wanders along wearing island casual wear and keeps whistling. Still, you've not said anything blatantly about the emotion, have you? I definitely saw Michael more as the former--in obviously well-worn dress clothes, stubbly, etc. And Paul, in my head, was dressed more casually, and actually came across as cheerful, as in the beginning.

Also, it might be interesting to have Paul come across as the happier one; maybe instead of being angry, he's just incredulous. It would make it more shocking when he jumped, and the obviously depressed and distraught Michael backed out. Just an idea though.

I think Michael should stay onstage, but the way I see it is this: he looks down, leans over, sort of crouches and holds his head in his hands, like he's staring down at Paul's body. It comes across as a sort of bizarre, adult fetal position, you see--and emphasizes the fact that he has a new lease on life now, as it were.

Also, Paul's jump--and his lines preceding it--are perfect, and perfectly blunt.

Brava!

smorgishborg says...

Absolutely, what both of you says makes perfect sense, and I thank you for rescuing this off the shelf. I'm resigned to it being a bit rushed because I've got a 5min time limit to work with, and (when I improvised it) it took 5:49...I've actually edited out some phrases since then. But once it's submitted, I would like to work out some of the kinks.

Also, I've gotten the "both characters sound the same" comment before, and while I was shooting for some similarity between characters, I wanted their emotions at that moment to be in contrast, and I think I failed at that. In my notes, I said Michael is "morbidly sure" and Paul is "not sure at all". Explaining that is one priority.

I've also felt a little worried about whether it all is in any way plausible, I tend to tweak reality in my plays, but I don't like it if something unintended turns out to be unbelievable as well. I added the whole "fire" thing in an effort to really make their lives worse. I want their lives to suck!

I think, my next edit will be to wrap up the job loose-end. That wasn't my original intention (I was afraid to make their woes seem unbalanced, I wanted the blame to be equal) but it ought to buy me some time before the ending, and satisfy Kylan.

Thanks for the comments!

Kylan wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this. I'm only just discovering plays and scripts (and thinking of writing one myself) and this piece struck me as smooth flowing and well thought out.

At first, when Michael and Paul are talking about their problems, I kind of groaned and rolled my eyes. They were really similar. Almost as if you had followed a template for both of them. Job, relationship, car. Then I realized that their problems were entwined and I was okay with it. And then I realized that only the car and the realtionship relate to each other, which is ill-balanced considering the job situation being left out. I think you could bulk up a little, throw all plausibility to the wind, and have the job problems intertwined as well.

The only problem I had with the actual dialogue was when Paul was explaining why he wanted to jump and the little "that wasn't pleasant" repetition. It doesn't work for me. Mainly, just strike the repetition. The passage will work much better without it.

When the realization sets in between the two that the reason they both want to jump is because of each other, I think Michael's reaction is a little sudden. I would let things play out a little more before Michael realizes Paul was having an affair w/ his wife. This could add some more bulk to the script as well.

You're right. The ending does feel rushed. I mean, you've got this great situational set-up and then you kill off Michael. And you made it sound almost as if neither of them were going to go through with suicide. It makes sense for them not to, after all. As it stands now, this piece means nothing. It's a fragment. With short stories - and with short scripts - I think you need to add some sort of direction. Some sort of vague moral-of-the-story. You know what I mean? You've got to accomplish something. To draw things out a little longer, reflect on what you're trying to say with this and then expound on that. Consider keeping both characters alive as well.

Anyway, I liked this. You've got something here. Sorry if what I've said just sounds like meaningless babble, because it most likely is. :wink:

See you around.

-Kylan

SkaterPunk2011 says...

I rather loved it. It was a bit rushed, but it wasnt confusing to follow and it had a bit of humor to it. I hope all goes well with NYSTEA. Its a wonderful play and I think it will go far. Keep it up

"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery