we are the dead

by sleepthief

He watched her letter burn in the darkness. Smoke wafted into the air, signaling to the world his crime. So he closed his eyes. The black canvas of his eyelids was strewn with images of her, and when he opened them again she peered back at him from the flames. It went so far beyond imagination.

He could picture her hair, damp from the autumn rain, streaming down her shoulders to her waist in a river of crimson, a deep exotic red like a rare wine he longed to drink. Her face, angular and pale, was marred by the quater-sized scar high on her cheekbone, a disfigurement that made her more real than anything without blemish. A storm raged in her gray eyes, but her face was sad. Her lips parted to utter some curse or spell, bestow some punishment which he knew he deserved, but instead of words issuing from her mouth a single tear leaked from her eye and tumbled down her cheek.

He had never seen her cry, and that was when he knew it was not real. She’d left him hours before, and he did not blame her.

You asked me my name, she said with the voice that was capable to travel through him as swift as any bullet, and it was nearly as painful. Beautiful and painful. It started the night you asked me my name. Do you remember?

She knew he never forgot. He never misplaced a memory or let a moment fade over time. His first sight of her, that remarkable hair a stream of deep vivid red and eyes that seemed to both blaze with anger and cry out for deliverance, was branded in his brain. He would never forget, never lose the feeling that that from that first night her hand had crept into his chest and seized his heart, unwilling to let go.

No, he replied flatly. No, I can’t recall. But you always remembered better than I.

He took a long, smoldering drag on his cigarette and exhaled and watched the smoke drift lazily up toward the stars.

Jacob.

He couldn’t look at her. He couldn’t look at her. If he did he would surely die - scream or beg or weep. If he looked at her he would break again. And this time he might end up telling her the truth.

That he loved her; with as much passion as he hated himself he loved her, and the thought of uttering it aloud to her, the one he cared for most and the one he had hurt so abominably, was so painful he wished he'd never known her. That was the truth; it was why he lied.

Jacob, she said, forcefully this time, and he pinched his cigarette to keep from shuddering. Then she had closed the gap between them, though he tried to move away. Not to be denied, she seized his shoulders and tried to shake him, but it was as if he was made of stone. What is wrong with you? I’ve waited so long for this. I’ve come all this way just to see you. Do not abandon me now. Her voice morphed from anger to pleading. Jerusha.

It was the sound of her uncannily hoarse, musical, human voice breaking over his name that shattered his icy veneer. His cigarette was hurled at the ground, and the night was shattered by his tortured cry.

ENOUGH!

Enough, he gasped, his back to her because he would not face her again. No more, Anna. No more.

There was a silence nearly as painful as hearing the beauty in her voice.

But:

Then I am too late.

He said, Yes, and he felt her cringe at the ice in his voice. The resolution. The resistance.

Too long. Years had bled into decades, fraying into centuries as the world grew and babies were born and people died; the rivers turned black and the sun sank in a red haze. And the world of long ago, of endless forests and oceans of tundra, palaces and blood that ran deeper in veins than the cracks in the earth, was lost, and the people that belonged there were lost with it.

Forgive me. Her breath was harsher than the arctic winds, but he felt the heat of her lapping against his back. He felt her intense gaze on the back of his head as he stared into the night, blacker than pitch, in this place were darkness was kept away by strange ever-burning lights, when all he wanted was the protective cover of shadows.

Take this, she said, commanding, demanding. Take it, for it’s all I can offer you, all that I have, and it is the last thing I will ever give you. You already own my heart. What more is there to give?

Her hand was outstretched, but he dared not move for fear of catching a glimpse of her pale hand, afraid that he would again see it snaked with chains and smeared with blood as he had once before, that he would remember how she had gotten that scar on her cheek. He shut his mind to the memory; she would never be anyone’s possession again.

Not even his.

Please, Jerusha.

His hand found hers, and before he could relish the warmth of fragile skin on fragile skin he pulled away and closed his fist around her last and final gift. He wanted, suddenly, to tell her how he would treasure it, how it would stand the test of time and travel with him through the centuries. How what she loved, he would love also.

He would love, always, but from a vast distance. How he wished he could weep as he said, I'm not Jerusha anymore.

Goodbye, then, Jacob. He flinched but stood his ground. How laconic, how flat her words were. He was used to her voice being lilting, full of emotion she never tried to hide, and he hated being the one to take that from her. Perhaps one day . . .

Do not come looking for me again, was all he could think to say, and it came out as black and empty as his soul.

No, I will not. I know now that you do not wish to see me again, and you do not care that we will live through the ages of this world apart. I only hope that one day I might have that same luxury.

*

Jacob knew she was gone. He sank to his knees, shaking, his eyes unbearably dry and his stomach rolling.

"What have I done?"

Her gift was a ball in his fist. He peeled back his fingers, one by one, blood rushing back bringing feeling along with it. A letter in a yellowing envelope, sealed with a circle of wax as it had been done years ago. His fingers traced her handwriting, his own name, and they itched to open it.

Hours later found him there, bent over his love’s last token, and as the night grew colder than he ever thought possible for Earth to be, he knew what he had to do.

His lighter. A violent spark and the budding of flame that licked the paper and soon began to devour it and its secrets. The unbroken seal melted in the heat and trickled away, like streams of lifeblood.

He would never forget her face, for it was in his mind always.

Jacob waited until the fire died, then he crushed the ashes with his boot and walked away into the night, toward the river where there were no lights, where he could hide in the shadows and imagine away the pain.

Mon May 09, 2011 10:30 am

Why hello there! I think you've got an interesting plot here, some good descriptions and in general, a really nice story. You've done well in building the suspence and I liked the sense of inevetibility toward the end when the reader knows that he's going to burn her letter. That was good. I do have a few comments and suggestions for you though:

He could picture her hair, damp from the autumn rain, streaming down her shoulders to her waist in a river of crimson, tendrils snaking around her alabaster skin. A storm raged in her gray eyes, but her face was sad. Her lips parted to utter some curse or spell, bestow some punishment which he knew he deserved, but instead of words issuing from her mouth a single tear leaked from her tempest-colored eye and tumbled down her cheek.[This description is too much of the archaic. One or two of the cliche alabaster skin, fiery tendrils, storym eyes. Fine. I can just about manage but all three? It's just like urgh. You need to be more unique! This girl needs to be more than just a cliche perfect woman, she needs to be described in a way that the reader knows her. Is there anything defining about her face? A scar, a mole, a certain freckle pattern? Is her hair a certain length, a certain cut. Is there a way she hold herself, a habit she has? You really need to think about this because a description is often the first tie a reader has to a character. You describe a character from a distance and the reader will already be making opinions of them before they even open their mouth.]

You asked me my name, she said with the voice that was capableto travel of travelling through him as swift as any bullet, and it was nearly as painful. Beautiful and painful. It started the night you asked me my name. Do you remember?

It was the sound of her uncanny [How is it uncanny? What does it sound like?] voice breaking over his name that broke his icy veneer. His cigarette was hurled at the ground, and the night was shattered by his tortured cry.

Forgive me. Her breath was harsher than the arctic winds, but he felt the heat of her lapping against his back. He felt her intense gaze on [Would be better to have 'intense gaze on the back of his head as he stared...'] his head, turned away from her, as he stared into the night in this place were darkness was kept away by strange ever-burning lights.

Characterisation

Your MC is such an idiot. I liked that his inward thoughts were different to what he actually said and by the end I just wanted to strangle him. I hate when people do that, aren't true to themselves, don't admit their real feelings because they think they're protecting someone. It was a nice technique and made your character more real for me. However, I felt that the personality of the girl was too mild, too weak. There wasn't enough to her for me to find any interest in her dialogue which made the relationship feel very flat. I just found that she lacked the fire and passion of a last meeting, of a last attempt. Sure she might be resigned, they might both be, but there should have been those moments of it almost working out, of one of them almost giving in, starting to and then just making it worse. The trouble is that I had no doubts of what would happen. This was partly because you started with the burning of the letter (don't get rid of that though as I really liked it) but mostly because there just wasn't that chemistry. That's where your problem is. I'd have liked to see you pull the reader both ways nd give them false hopes before the inevetibility sets in.

Description

There's no feeling of setting here which would really help build the atmosphere so I'm going to link you to an article I worte because I'm lazy. It should give you a few pointers on how to make your writing more alive: here.

Overall, it was nicely done but a little work on the finer points wouldn't hurt.

Heather xxx

Sat May 07, 2011 9:33 am
Wolferion wrote a review...

Ohayou, I'm here to review, so let's get to it =). I've put your story into "spoiler" with my comments beneath paragraphs.

#FF0000 ">- A very good beginning, it does kind of grab some attention and interest. Good job here =). No mistakes noticed, +1.

He could picture her hair, damp from the autumn rain, streaming down her shoulders to her waist in a river of crimson, tendrils snaking around her alabaster skin. A storm raged in her gray eyes, but her face was sad. Her lips parted to utter some curse or spell, bestow some punishment which he knew he deserved, but instead of words issuing from her mouth a single tear leaked from her tempest-colored eye and tumbled down her cheek.
#FF0000 ">- Powerful moment. Quite a close appearance description and then the pain, where a tear drops instead of hearable words, +1.

#FF0000 ">- Up until here I thought there was something more than just a "break". Crime and similar discribed before made it sound more like a death sentence or around it. Just a notice, doesn't mean this has to be changed.

#FF0000 ">- +1

She knew he never forgot. He never misplaced a memory or let a moment fade over time. His first sight of her, that remarkable hair a stream of deep vivid red and eyes that seemed to both blaze with anger and cry out for deliverance, was branded in his brain. He would never forget, never lose the feeling that #FF0000 ">(I think you double typed that here) that from that first night her hand had crept into his chest and seized his heart, unwilling to let go.

#FF0000 ">- I think you could remove double and here and make the last sentence into a side sentence. F.e. and exhaled, focused on the smoke drifting lazily up towards the stars. You might have noticed here that I used towards, I think it's better than toward in this situation.

Jacob.

He couldn’t look at her. He couldn’t look at her. If he did#FF0000 ">, he would surely die - scream or beg or weep. If he looked at her#FF0000 ">, he would break again. And this time he might end up telling her the truth.
- I think there is no need for repeating the sentences, you know. He couldn't look at her, he just couldn't. (Much better).
Otherwise, nice feelings description.

Jacob, she whispered, and he pinched his cigarette to keep from shuddering from restraint. Please. I’ve waited so long. I’ve come all this way just to see you. Do not abandon me now. Jerusha.
#FF0000 ">- I'm not sure how exactly to edit this, but his action input into the girl's words should be input differently to make it clear his action is out of "context". I just found it quite... Well, disturbing. Jacob, she whispered, making him pinch his cigarette to keep from shuddering from restraint. Maybe like this =\ As about the rest, powerful moment, +1.

It was the sound of her uncanny voice breaking over his name that broke his icy veneer. His cigarette was hurled at the ground, and the night was shattered by his tortured cry.
#FF0000 ">- Hm, I've thought here a bit. It was the sound of her uncanny voice breaking over his name, her voice that broke his icy veneer. So far I'm drawn in, good job keeping me interested so far.

ENOUGH!

But:
- I am not sure what to think about this but, I think you could've gone without it.

Then I am too late.

Forgive me. Her breath was harsher than the arctic winds, but he felt the heat of her lapping against his back. He felt her intense gaze on his head, turned away from her, as he stared into the night in this place were darkness was kept away by strange ever-burning lights.

Take this, she said, commanded, demanded. Take it, for it’s all I can offer you, all that I have, and it is the last thing I will ever give you. You already own my heart. What more is there to give?
#FF0000 ">- You could've turned those two into adjectives. she said, commanding, demanding. Poweful moment, +1.

Her hand was outstretched, but he dared not move for fear of catching a glimpse of her pale hand, afraid that he would again see it snaked with chains and smeared with blood as he had once before. He shut his mind to the memory; she would never be anyone’s possession again.
- Here I got caught off guard a bit. Possession you say, quite a word.
Not even his.

Please, Jerusha.

- Double fragile skin, doesn't make sense, you know. Very good description of emotions.

Goodbye, Jacob. He flinched but stood his ground. Perhaps one day . . .

- Question catching luxury.

"What have I done?"

Her gift was a ball in his hand. A letter in a yellowing envelope, sealed with a circle of wax as it had been done years ago. His fingers traced her handwriting, his own name, and they itched to open it.

Jacob waited until the fire died, then he crushed the ashes with his boot and walked away into the night.
- For all the emotions and what not before, this seems pretty simple and easily done. Maybe add one more sentence of description behind "night"?

In overall, I believe this is a good job done, even for some nitpicks I've found and some things that didn't make much sense. The writing style is rather good as it is, could use some little improvements, especially in terms of keeping it clear enough for the reader and keeping the momentum. Some words can break the whole situation, some magnicify it. Good luck to you, I'll be looking forward to reading more of your works and see how it's improving.

Kyou out~

Teardrop wrote a review...

Hey, I'm Teardrop!

First of all, I really loved this. Really nice imagination, and I thought it was well-written as well. I thought that the girl in your story could have been more detailed and vivid. Maybe try adding some depth and vision to the characters. There wasn't much that really showed the reader their appearance.

At times I thought I saw some run-on sentences, and had to read some of them over again to make sure I read it well. But overall, I didn't really anything wrong with the story, and I really enjoyed reading. One of my many favorites on YWS.

sleepthief wrote:eyelids was strewn with images of her
Shouldn't 'was' actually be 'were'?

sleepthief wrote:He could picture her hair, damp from the autumn rain, streaming down her shoulders to her waist in a river of crimson, tendrils snaking around her alabaster skin.
There's not really much wrong with this, a little long, but I just liked it. Lovely details!

Overall, nice job! Really liked it!!

~Tear

We're just all nosy little busybodies.
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi