Invisible

by skylnn00writes

"Jenna, breathe. Everything is going to be fine!" My best friend Macayla tells me over the phone.

"Erik posted his schedule on Facebook. We basically have the same schedule!" My heart was racing. I looked in the mirror one last time before walking out of my room.

"Listen Macayla, I got to go. I'll see you on the bus."

"Okay, same. See you. Love you and hey, relax. Everything will be fine."

"Okay... Love you too." I hang up the phone and slip it in my pocket. I try taking deep breaths, but I'm too nervous to even eat. My hands shake as I grab a muffin for later. My mom walks in to the room just as I'm leaving with a big smile on her face.

"It's your first day of high school! Aren't you excited?!"

"Yeah sure, because I love school. I got to go before I miss the bus. Love you, bye." I tell her as I run out the door. I'm half way down the street when I hear her telling me something but I can't hear it. I play on my phone until the bus arrives. When I get on, I find Macayla. I look over at the two-seater and I can't believe my eyes. Erik is sitting right across from me!

He smiles at me and I smile back. I turn to Macayla before I do anything stupid and embarrass myself.

The whole bus ride to school I listened to Macayla ramble on about her summer. But I didn't hear a word. Every bone in my body was celebrating, but I knew I had to stay cool on the outside. I didn't want Erik to think I was a freak or a weirdo.

"Jenna, are you listening? Hello, Earth to Jenna!"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Continue." I peeked back towards Erik, but looked away when I saw he was looking at me and smiling.

The bus stopped in front of the school and I got up. Just as I started to walk, I bumped right into Erik, who had also started to walk.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, clumsy me." My face felt hotter than the sun and my face got as red as a tomato.

He laughed and said, "No it's ok. That was my fault, after you." He smiled at me again and gestured for me to go. I melted inside.

"Hey, I never got your name." He asks me as we start walking towards the school.

"Oh. Jenna. What's yours?" That was a dumb question. Everyone knows his name. I bet I seem uncool.

"Erik. See you around Jenna." He started running to go meet his friends, his blonde hair going everywhere with the wind. I caught him turning around just as I walked into the school.

I smiled like an idiot for the rest of the day.

The next morning when I woke up, I jumped out of bed and got ready as fast as I could. It felt like forever again until the bus came. There he was again, sitting in the same seat as yesterday.

His eyes looked deep into mine, and I looked deep into his. I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking, and instead of looking into Erik's eyes, I was looking at the bus floor. My nose was hurting a lot and when I sat up I saw someone's foot out. Tears welled up in my eyes as the laughing echoed in my ears, but I pushed them back. I was not going to cry at school, especially in front of Erik. He stood up and held out his hand. Hesitantly, I took it.

"Are you ok?" He asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for caring..." I felt myself blush but it didn't matter because I meant it. When I took a closer look, I saw that the foot sticking out was my best friends. I marched up to her with clenched fists.

"Why would you do that?!" "What? It's just a little fun."

"Yeah, maybe fun for you!" I wanted to wipe the smirk off her face. "Oh lighten up, will you?" Her gin widened.

"NO! You only ever think about you! I'm done. We're through!" I yelled.

"Fine with me, but you're going to wish you never did that."

Luckily we were at school already, so I marched off the bus. As I walked, I recalled the conversation where Macayla had confessed that she also liked Erik. I didn't stop even when I heard Erik calling my name.

As soon as I got into the school, I made my way to the closest girl's bathroom. Luckily no one else was in there. I looked into the mirror. There was a little dirt on my face so I washed it off. I wanted to go home; I didn't want to be here. I felt so embarrassed. To top it all off, Erik saw it all. Just then I remembered him calling to me. I wish I had turned around. I worked up the courage to walk out just to find Erik leaning against the lockers, a worried look on his face that made him look even cuter. He looks up and walks over to me.

"Hey." He says.

"Hey."

"You are not fine, and I don't need to know you to know that. What can I do?" I couldn't take it anymore. Tears streamed down my face and I fell into his arms. He held me for a while and pulled away when I stopped crying.

"I just lost my best friend." I whispered.

"She wasn't worth your friendship. You deserve way better than her. If she treats you like that, she's the one who loses in the end. Someone like that doesn't deserve an amazing girl like you to call her best friend, ok?" I nod my head slightly, but I still feel like crap on the inside.

I guess he noticed because he then said, "Let's get out of here, go do something fun."

Reluctantly, I let him lead me out of the school and we start walking.

By the time we got to the bowling alley, my stomach hurt from laughing and my face hurt from smiling. Erik had managed to cheer me up and make me completely forget about Macayla. He got us a lane; we put on our shoes and started bowling.

"I'm really bad. I would have said no if I knew we were coming here!" I lied.

"It's ok. I'll teach you." He tells me. The look on his face makes me think he is flirting. Erik then gets up and stands really close behind me. I feel his breath on the back of my neck, his hand is holding mine.

"You pull it back," he whispers into my ear. "And then you take a couple steps. Start bending over a little, and...Release." I let go of the bowling ball and let him bring my hand back with his. We watch the ball roll down the lane and surprisingly we get a strike. He turns me around in his arms and pulls me closer.

"We make a good team." I whisper. I lean into him a little more and look into his eyes.

"Yes, we do." Erik leans in too, our noses touching. He lifts one of his hands to the back of my neck. I close my eyes and, get rid of the gap between us.

It was a soft kiss; I could feel his hands running up and down my back. I finally pulled away after what felt like forever. I couldn't help but smile. Erik was smiling too.

After we finished bowling, school was almost over so we started walking back. The buses were just getting there so we got on.

Instead of sitting in the three-seater where Macayla sits, I sat in the two-seater with Erik. He put his arm around me and we listened to music from his phone. I couldn't wait to see the look on Macayla's face when she saw us.

I watched her face closely as she got on the bus. She looked at us, and just went right into the three-seater. I couldn't believe it. Something had to be up because the Macayla that I knew would have given me a dirty look, or yelled at me, or told an embarrassing story. I saw her turn back out of the corner of my eye and I think she winked. I couldn't tell if it was for me or Erik. But what would she be doing winking at Erik or even me at this point?

Every 5 minutes, I would look at her. She was either on her phone or looking out the window.

Erik's stop was before mine. I got up so he could get out of the seat. I caught Macayla looking at Erik again and I was about to say something except, Erik was looking at her too.

Luckily it was the weekend because that night I couldn't sleep. All night the image of Macayla and Erik was in my head. I kept asking myself the same question, why were they looking at each other like that? Both of them had devilish grins on their faces, like they were plotting something. I couldn't help but think that it had to do with me.

I was bored and I couldn't sleep anyway so I turned on my laptop and opened Facebook. I rubbed my eyes, I thought I was hallucinating.

Erik had posted a picture of us kissing and the caption read, 'She thinks it's real, she thinks I care. Can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees ne making out with Macayla Monday '. I shut the laptop.

Tears filled my eyes, but this time I let them fall. I could feel my heart inside me, shattered into a million pieces. I have liked Erik as long as I could remember.

They think they can play me? Well, they just wait to see whose game we will actually be playing.

I didn't dare open the laptop again to read the comments. I went to bed, but I formed my revenge plan against Macayla and Erik.

When Monday came, I didn't even want to go to school. I had been planning my revenge all weekend, but I was still nervous that it wouldn't work. I kept my head down as I got on the bus.

I was surprised to see Macayla wasn't there, so I sat in her three-seater. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't look at Erik. He would have said something and it was eating me away inside. The second I looked, I knew I should have fought the urge more.

Macayla was sitting on Erik's lap, and they were making out. I guess everyone as in on it because the whole bus was looking at me and laughing. Random people I didn't even know were taking pictures of my face, and them making out.

I knew this would happen, I just didn't think it was going to be this early in the morning. I had spent too much time planning and not enough time mentally preparing myself for this.

I wanted to look away, but I just couldn't. I didn't want to exist anymore. I wanted to disappear forever. I finally was able to look away, but it didn't help.

The whole day, the image of Macayla and Erik haunted me. I had no one to talk to, but there was one person I wanted to tell.

When I got home from school, I grabbed some flowers and headed out again. I walked a couple blocks to the cemetery, and went to my father's grave.

"Hey dad," I said, tears already filling y eyes. I replaced the old, withered flowers with the new ones. "You were right, you can't trust anyone. Macayla turned on me, and kissed Erik in front of me on purpose. Worst par, Erik was in on it too." I stopped to take a breath.

"I miss you so much daddy, I really need you. I know you died fighting and you lost the battle, and cancer won, but I still miss you so much. I really need one of your hugs right now. I don't have anyone anymore. You were all I had left..." Tears streamed down my face uncontrollably. "These past few months have been so hard without you. I love you dad. Always have, always will." I say at the end like I always do.

I get up to leave, but I don't want to go home. Just then I heard a voice behind me. I jumped and turned around, and didn't believe who I was looking at.

My 19 year old brother who I hadn't seen in a year was standing a few feet away, looking at me.

"Zach!" I scream. I sprint at him and wrap my arms around his neck. He picks me up and spins me around. When we let go, I slap him as hard as I can.

"Ow! What was that for?!"

"You ran away dumbie. Mom and I were worried sick! Where did you even go and why didn't you call!?"

"I promise I will explain it all, but with mom. I don't want to explain it twice. It's a really long story."

"Ok. Let's go home then. Mom is going to be so happy to see you.

As we walked back, I told Zach all about the past year, ending with what had happened with Erik and Macayla.

"Macayla? Gosh Jen, I thought she was a good one, a keeper."

"Me too. That was my mistake." I told him. Luckily, we were almost home so I didn't have to keep talking about it.

My mom's car was parked outside in the driveway so I hoped she was home.

I opened the door and walked in. My mom was standing there already. I stepped aside and Zach came in.

"Hey mom." He said. My mom's mouth opened. She looked so surprised, happy, and upset all at the same time.

"Zachary." She whispered. Zach slowly walked towards her and gave her a hug.

She hugged him back and dug her head into his shoulder. Her shoulders shook as they embraced.

I then heard Zach tell my mom, "its ok mom. Everything will be ok; I'm here to stay for good."

The story was long but I sat through it and listened. It was nice to hear his voice after so long.

"But Zachary, why didn't you come to us for help?" My mom asked him.

"You had enough on your plate with dad being in the hospital and everything. And we didn't have the money for the amount that I owed them. And I needed a little while away to get better and recover."

"You could have at least called. I mean, it's a hard thing to go through alone, rehab. I could have been there for you." I tell him.

"I know, and I'm the older one. I should have been there for you when you needed me. And for that, I'm so, truly sorry." He looks at me and his eyes say it all. He was talking about when our father died.

My dad and I were very close. He taught me karate, and we were a good team. I would always help him when he worked from home. He was a financial adviser, so he would always be looking into clients files. He let me see them even though they were somewhat confidential, and he would always ask me questions. I am 14 now, but I was only 7 then. It's not like I could tell too many people. No one would understand anyway. The memory made me smile.

"It's fine. Don't worry about that. At least you are here now." I hope I didn't show that I was lying. I didn't know what else to say to him, because I couldn't tell him the truth. I wish he had never left, I wish he was there through it all. I can't forgive him. He left knowing how bad dad was doing. He knew that we needed him the most then. For that, I don't think I could ever actually forgive him for that.

The next day at school seemed, different. No one even looked in my direction. Macayla and Erik were minding their own business, and people wouldn't stop bumping into me in the halls. They wouldn't even turn around and say sorry. I felt invisible.

Even in class, I would raise my hand and the teacher wouldn't call on me, even if my hand was the only one up.

When I got home that day, I found a note on the table that read, 'We went out to have fun and we will not be back for dinner. Sorry, feel free to order a pizza.' There was $20 next to the card.

"Great." I told myself. But then I also considered that they needed mother-son time, bonding, reconnecting, and more catching up. I was starting to get hungry so I picked up the phone and ordered the pizza. I found a movie and sat down to watch it.

By the time it finished, and I had done my homework, my brother and mom still weren't home.

It was 10:30 and I had school tomorrow so I decided to not stay up.

I woke up to a loud crashing noise. It sounded like it came from the living room downstairs. I grabbed my phone and the baseball bat next to my bed and slowly crept downstairs.

I heard someone laughing, and it sounded like my mom. I peeked around the corner and sure enough, it was my mom.

"Mom! Did you just get home?" I yelled. I couldn't contain my anger. Zach walked in from the kitchen with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Here, drink this. It will help sober you up." He said, handing my mom the cup.

"Thanks you honey. You're the best. I, love. You. It was fun this night with you. Jenna, you have should been there." Her words slurred out and I knew she was really drunk. My anger level rose 10 times higher. I gave Zach a death stare.

"Would you care to explain this? Why the hell would you let mom drink. You know about her problem! She has been fine for a year now. Where did you even go?!"

"Okay calm down. Mom drove us to a bar/restaurant. She wanted a seat at the bar to have one drink. I had to use the bathroom and by the time I came back out, there was like 10 shot glasses in front of her. I tried to take her home but she wouldn't get in the car. I stayed with her all night and we just got home because she fell asleep so I put her in the car and drove her home."

"It's 6:00 in the morning. You should have called, again. I can't believe you!" I turned around and left the room.

"I'm sorry! Jenna, please!" I heard him calling after me but I was already half way down the stairs, and too upset to argue with him.

I avoided my mom and my brother as much as I could. I stayed late at school, or at the library, or walking. Sometimes I stayed really late at the park, and then went home when I knew they were asleep.

At school, I kept getting ignored. I felt like a ghost everywhere I went. Erik and Macayla were the talk of the school. Everyone was whispering about them. When they walked down the halls, people would actually move and make a walkway for them! They were always holding hands too. It was annoying.

I won't lie, it hurt too. I had liked Erik for a really long time, like 5 years, so since 6th grade. And Macayla had been my best friend since 4th grade. She was the one I told everything to. Erik didn't even notice me but I saw him. He was tall, blonde, athletic, and nice; everything you would want in a guy. But he was always with the popular kids, and I wasn't popular. Macayla was, but I never mixed in with that crowd because I didn't like them. Every time I saw them together, I could feel my heart inside me, breaking into more and more pieces.

But every day after school, I would go visit my dad. I would tell him everything, even how bad I felt. I didn't want to live in this town anymore, or be in that school, but he keeps me holding on. I have to be strong and fight like he did for me.

Its summer now. Next year is my last year of high school and then off I go to college and to start my life. My brother moved out to a nearby house with his girlfriend (hopefully soon to be fiancé). I am still invisible everywhere I go, but I don't mind anymore. I don't have to spend time trying to explain my thoughts to people, or boring people with the details.

I'm left alone to live my own life. I finally got over Erik, and I am way past the friendship with me and Macayla. I see them together and notice how cute they look. I'm really happy for them both. I also got into art. I draw and paint out my emotions and it helps to understand them. It also clears my head. Today, a year ago, my dad's heart stopped beating at the hospital. I'm doing better than I thought I would be. It's hard, and I have to go through it alone, but I know my dad is watching over me. He is there for me in the only way he can be. Things have been good, and I am stronger now. I know my dad would be proud.

I haven't checked your portfolio for any new stories in a while, and I can't believe I didn't see this! A story by the magnificent Sky! I love it!

Awww, thank you so so so much! Your posts like this just make my day.

Hey there, I don't normally jump outside the realm of poetry, but I thought I'd leave a few thoughts on your story! :)

Plot
Good job building tension at the beginning of the story; anyone who's had a first day of school somewhere can relate to the overall idea.

The fall-scene is interesting, adds a bit of conflict but I wish there was a bit more development into why Jenna doesn't want to be friends with Mccayla after this; I mean tripping your best friend in front of her crush - isn't a great move, but it seems like an overreaction to stop being friends with her and to yell at her on the bus then. Also I think that rather than off-handedly mentioning that McCayla also liked Erik, it would be better to include that scene of dialogue in the piece because it seems really important and also not something that the narrator would likely forget.

Short-stories are difficult because you have to move the plot along so quickly. In some parts of the piece it just seemed to be moving too quickly - this was one instance: "Tears streamed down my face and I fell into his arms." - This is incredibly dramatic and sort of hard to imagine anyone actually doing. I think if you built up that conversation a bit more or added some of Jenna's internal emotion to that paragraph it would seem less dramatic though and would slow the pace down a bit.

{Side note: I also think it's a bit unbelievable that one game of bowling lasted the entire school day; maybe clarify that time frame up a bit more.}

The part about the dad being dead and then Zachary having ran away kind of comes out of no-where when I read it the first time through - adding a foreshadow or off-handed note earlier about the family situation might be a good idea, at this point it feels a little bit thrown into the story concept although is an interesting dynamic.

Hmm overall as far as plot this starts like a pretty generic short story: "unpopular girl falls in love with popular boy, best friend's there, she's clumsy etc. the story progresses very quickly with the Erik+Jenna relationship and it almost seems odd that she's so torn up about her friend really dating him when it's not like she had known him that well before going on a single bowling date with him. But the part with McCayla is a good departure from a "generic" short-story set-up; it adds a bit of interest to the scenario.

The extra conflict with the brother and dad and then mother's alchoholism almost feels like a whole different story - it doesn't really fit into the primary conflict with Erik and MacCayla I think if these elements are kept they should be worked in a bit sooner so they have room to grow with the story.

In the last 2 paragraphs I didn't really feel a sense of resolution because the reader didn't really get to hear about the end of the conflict we just get like a flash-forward into a time with different types of conflict.

Overall I think that I would most work on stream-lining the conflict. Figure out what the main idea and conflict of the story is, and then eliminate what doesn't build that up. In a short story there's just not room for extra elements, everything has to build up that main story idea. You have some good ideas, they just need to be narrowed down and then meshed together a bit more cohesively I think.

Phrasing
This is a bit nit-picky but there are a few place that I questioned the phrasing used:

"Every bone in my body was celebrating" I think the expression is normally "every cell in my body was...", I'm not sure why but for some reason "bones" just made me imagine a skeleton jumping up and down.

In this paragraph: "I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking, and instead of looking into Erik's eyes, I was looking at the bus floor. My nose was hurting a lot and when I sat up I saw someone's foot out." It's not immediately clear that she fell. The way it's phrased, at first it just seems like Jenna looks down - I think this could be cleared up a little bit.

This phrasing was a bit odd for me as well: "I formed my revenge plan against Macayla and Erik."

There were a couple grammar issues here and there - not anything huge. "I wish I had turned around" should be "I wished..". At one point I think it says "gin" but should be "grin".

Characterization
I had a bit of issues with the characterization of Erik in this piece. It is not clear at all why Jenna would like Erik to begin with - I think giving the reader insight into why Jenna likes him would make the reader feel more sympathy when she realizes she can't have him. Just being the "cute" "popular" guy around school is a bit of a cliche character-type without any details about what makes him "cute" or "popular" and it makes Jenna seem shallow if those are the only reasons she likes him.

McCayla, Jenna, and the brother all had okay characterization - you could kind of figure out different trends in their behavior, they didn't always act how I expected them to (which is good!) and they seemed like round individuals (not one-sided).

I think that developing the dad character a bit more would be helpful if you're going to keep that in the piece; for instance giving a few flash-back scenes with Jenna and her dad when he was alive to add to the characterization would be really strong. Also adding a flashback scene to show Jenna and McCayla's friendship before they had a falling-out would give insight into the background dynamics of their relationship.

Overall there's a lot of room for character development, but solid start.

Other
I particularly enjoyed the dialogue in this piece - the back and forth conversation between Jenna and her friend generally sounded fairly natural and at time actually made me laugh. Good word-choice and voice here.

Overall, interesting easy read. It was easy to understand what was happening and it took some unexpected turns. Best of luck in all of your writing!

~alliyah

Thank you so much, wow this was very long, and very thorough. I really appreciate you taking all that time to review this. I will definitely take all of this into consideration and your suggestions gave me new ideas. Thanks again :smt001

alliyah says...

You're welcome! Great job on all of your review-day reviews! :)

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 am
LukeStarkiller wrote a review...

I think you have some great stuff here! Here's my review.

You set the story in motion very well. I think the first third or so is the most well-executed. In a few hundred words, you set up the main character, two characters to interact with, and a task for your main character to accomplish. That was very well-done, but it was also very bare-bones, and when the story changes direction (from the plot about Erik to the plot about Jenna's brother), it sort of loses its footing. A couple of subplots, or even just tidbits to make us relate to Jenna, would make the story fell more connected.

There are a couple of mini-plotholes that a sentence or two would clear up as well. Why would Erik post a reference to his plan on Facebook when Jenna clearly knows his page and could view it at any time? Why does Jenna form a revenge plan but then abandon it after the humiliation on the bus? There is no mention of the plan again in the story.

In addition, I think the reappearance of Zach is too jarring to come out of the blue. Perhaps mention him at the beginning of the story so that the reader feels "in the know" when he returns. You bridged the two story threads of Erik and Zach with Jenna going to her father's grave and opening up. One line stuck out as quietly poetic: "I had no one to talk to, but there was one person I wanted to tell." This is beautiful, of course, but at this point in the story, the reader has no idea who she's going to tell. You have to fill us in later with a backstory about Jenna's father. Instead, I would include an additional scene towards the beginning that talks about her father's passing. If it doesn't interrupt the momentum of the first scene, maybe have Jenna visit her father's grave at the beginning as well. This would make the scene when she goes back there have more emotional impact because of the repetition. This way, you could tie together your plot threads by making the story be mostly about Jenna's personal arc from needing external validation (being liked) to being more self-confident.

Other than that, I think there's some good material you have to work with. You got to the emotional heart of the story very quickly and didn't waver from that. Good luck!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and this was very helpful.

LadyEvvy wrote a review...

Hey there! Review time!

I want to start with your introduction. You introduced the situation right away, which I like. It serves as an excellent hook and introduces the read to the direction you want to take the story. However, while I do like that the convenience of an immediate introduction, it's important to provide some other details. You offered the bare minimum information readers needed to know: Jenna is entering high school, is friends with Macayla, and has a crush on Erik. An introduction is also a good tool to introduce the reader to the main character and the main components of the story. It would make the introduction and maybe the whole story a lot longer, but perhaps if Jenna had some interaction with the other characters before rushing out the door, we could get form more insightful first impressions of them. Do Macayla and Jenna joke around together, or are they the more serious types? Do Jenna and her mother get along well? Some extra interaction between characters would really help, even if it isn't directly relevant to the story itself. Right now Jenna just looks nervous, flighty, and constantly rushed

Going off of character interactions, Jenna's relationship with Erik seems to be the only thing going on at the beginning of the story. Jenna thinks only of her crush, Macayla talks only of her crush, and there's little mention of much else. A few small subplots or just some minor details would help develop the setting and characters. Maybe Jenna throws on a little makeup to show that she cares about her appearance or double checks her bag because she's nervous about her books in addition to her crush?

A lot of these little character interactions would be good for the reader to see because they become relevant later in the story. It would be nice to see Jenna's relationship with Macayla so we can understand if small pranks are in Macayla's nature or if the tripping-on-the-bus incident was completely out of the blue for Jenna. Some indication that Macayla liked Erik or was awkward about Jenna's crush on him could have been introduced sooner. We might have better appreciated the mom's reaction to Zach's arrival if we knew her personality better. These details would more impact to plot points later on, such as when Jenna tells Erik "I just lost my best friend." This would mean more to the reader if we knew how much Macayla meant to Jenna and had seen them make each other happy before.

I also want to say that some of the scene transitions were a bit awkward. You did a pretty good job with this, and it's not easy to move from one point to another, but some instances could use some revision.
One of them is the shift from Jenna getting ready to go and her being at the bus stop in the opening was very fast. A few details just for filler might have made the transition smoother, maybe something Jenna notices on her walk to the bus stop.
Another was when Macayla trips Jenna, and then their at the school. Perhaps it's just me, but I assume that when this is happening, the bus is still at the stop. If Jenna were to sit and wait out the bus ride, the chronology might make a bit more sense.
And lastly, when Jenna discovers Erik's Facebook post, a bit more emotion could be used. Of course Jenna is upset, but her reaction seems a bit flat. Depending on her character, she might go through something else before getting angry. Disbelief or maybe confusion?

Another more minor detail is when Jenna discovers her mother comes home drunk. '"Here, drink this. It will help sober you up." He said, handing my mom the cup.' An expression of Zach's mood might help the reader determine if Jenna's anger is justified. We know he apologizes later, but he seems neutral when this part is playing out.

My last piece of advice is sort of a writer's choice thing. To me it looks like you have two main subplots. One is Jenna's relationship with Macayla and Erik, and the other is with her mother and Zach. These are the main focus of the story with almost no subplots. While a few subplots would make the story more complex and interesting, they would also clutter the story a bit and pull some attention away from your main plots. The setup you have here is very clean, and for the message you want to convey, it works very well. Whether you want to add anything extra is up to you, and there are advantages to both methods. Frankly I like the tidiness of your focus on the main plots, but it's just something to think about.

Lastly, I want to say that I like the message of this story. I like that Jenna accepts and even appreciates her invisibility. She understands that she'll be able to change her own situation soon, and that if she let's thinks bounce of her, she'll get over them. I think it's something a lot of people should learn.

So, to summarize, you have a good thing goin here. Some more details as to character interactions would add some more length, but would also make the characters more relatable to readers and give the story more impact. I love happy endings, so this whole thing made me happy!

Have a nice day, and good luck with your writing!

Thank you so much! That was extremely helpful. I will definitely take all of this into consideration when I edit this. As I said, I wrote this a while ago and I don't even remember writing it. I just know I did. I really want this story to be good so thank you again for all your help.

GreenTulip wrote a review...

Hello, Tulip here to give you a review on your short story!

I loved this because I felt like I could connect to it more. I felt the same way as Jenna does in the story. I felt invisible walking in the halls of high school and more so when I was at home or out and about doing stuff. It is hard when you feel like you don't belong anywhere and no one seems to notice you.

The one thing that bugged me was the end of the story. I feel like it ended so abruptly. I thnk that putting in more of a pace and trying to ease more into the ending would make it better. You want from talking about Jenna and Macayla and their issues to just ending the story. I didn't feel as much of a connection at the end.

But overall I liked the entire piece. It was well written, though in some places it was confusing. I would re-read it to try to find a better pace and to iron out some of the kinks in it. I think transitioning between your ideas would be better.

I hope some of this helps since it is so short, but I have a major headache and one of my eyes hurt really bad so reading a screen is hard.

Keep calm and write on!
~Tulip~

Hey Tulip! First I hope that you feel better. That pain sounds terrible. Also, thank you so much for your review. I'm glad you liked it and my goal was to have my readers feel a connection to her. I will definitely work on those things and I do have to edit this a lot. Again, thank you! :smt001

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace