12+

Tabernacular!

by skorlir

Tabernacle: A vernacular table (like this one)

---------------------------------------------------------

Procreate: to promulgate The Story of Creation: "I was just procreating with some kids from Marlin Elementary."

Audit: to listen to: "I was auditing his CD collection, but then..."

Realty: like reality, but without the speaker in it: "we were cool for awhile, but then he got into realty."

Clamoring: clapping at something really lame: "the crowd was just clamoring to make him feel good about himself."

Kush: giving a karmic rush: "helping that old lady was totally kush."

Copacetic: trying frantically to keep up: "Come again? That was all copacetic for me." (hint: co-pace-tic)

Absolved: a feeling of completeness after exercise: "I was charged this morning, but I was absolved after an hour of kickboxing."

TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

This is a very nice idea, and on I have heard many a time on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, where they also have my personal favorite: Flatulence, and ambulance dedicated to steamroller accidents. Anyway, I dislike Audit. It seems too common a new meaning, but besides that there is the phonetic problem of saying auditing, which is not fluid enough to get into normal use.
However I did particularly like Absolved. This seems particularly right for some reason, probably because the original word has tenuous ties with the new meaning.
I don't know what people are blabbering on about a secret code. It's quite obvious to me that your hint is a pronunciation tip. Anyways,
Yours in reviewing,
Take That You Fiend!

cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hello there!

I get the feeling that this is supposed to be a sort of riddle, and I'm very disappointed in myself for looking down at Astronaut's review and spoiling it for myself. I didn't get to figure it out on my own, but I feel like it would have been much more fun if I had. That being said, I'll cover a few quiiick nitpicks.

"We were cool for awhile, but then he got into realty."

"The crowd was just clamoring to make him feel good about himself."

"Helping that old lady was totally kush."

Just some small capitalization errors that would make this look a bit more professional. :)

I pretty much agree with Astro as far as content. Some of these were quite clever and made me laugh, but others just left me confused (copacetic). "Clamoring" was confusing at first but as I thought about it, I realized where you're coming from with it.

I think that this is a great idea for a brain teaser, but you didn't execute it very well. I would suggest choosing other words to... vernaculate. If you made this consistent in its quality, I would really enjoy it. Keep on writing!

thePoeToaster43 wrote a review...

Oh, I am most definitely confused by this piece.
I get the concept, not the point. Why post this here?

Perhaps in an attempt to get more young writers to use words like these? Words that have been tampered with ever so slightly and described in a new light.
Then, after you've created your monster words (I'm thinking of you as Dr. Frankenstein at this point.) you post them here and let us interpret them. You let us interact with these strange new things, and try to figure out what works in a young writer society?
In a way, you are a brilliant, creative person... but you've left out one important thing!
Writers are almost always introverts, and therefor will have a difficult time coming to terms with such a 'different' thing. (get the pitchforks Jim!) Haha, only kidding.

Actually, in all honesty, I have no idea what the point was. Why? Why did you post the monsters here, Dr?

I like it. I think poetry is better when you add a bit of 'flare'. Especially when the 'flare' is a word or two that have been ever so slightly changed to fit their masterpiece.

It's a brilliant thing to do if you think about it.
Create new words and expose them to the young writers. I'm sure most of us will find at least a little inspiration in the end.

Good Luck To You!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 am
Astronaut wrote a review...

Hi!

Okay, after reading it over and over and over, I think I got it. So the idea is that you're re-naming words according to what they sound like they should be, and then putting them in a sentence that has a completely different meaning.

But I am still very, very confused. What was the point of this piece? You said "(hint: co-pace-tic)" so I feel like I should be trying to figure something out. But the only thing I'm really trying to figure out is what you're trying to accomplish.

I don't get the clamoring one. Most of the other "definitions" sound like they match the words, but clapping at something really lame sounds nothing like clamoring.

This really doesn't matter much, but not everybody knows the meanings to all of these words. To get your point across better, you might want to use words that are a little more common.

Hope this helped!

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln