want

by silverhanded

passenger wrote a review...

Hello ~

This piece has a lot of potential. And I know that the word 'potential' is the cushion people usually throw on the cement before they go shoving you down onto the sidewalk, but I can recognize the raw beauty in this. On a scale from one to ten, you've already set the bar at seven or eight, so it's just about bringing this to the highest level possible.

I think the main 'problem' (I guess it's not really a problem, but more of an obstacle) I could immediately spot in this is the slight disjointedness. You've planted so many seeds, like you have a fear that some of them won't sprout. There's a danger of overcrowding. You don't want them competing against one another for sunlight and water. Plant less, and focus more on just a few specific ideas so they can all grow to full height. I think if you can trim off the fat and then build more around your central theme, then this could turn into something monumental.

So, over the course of the poem, you tend to switch from one topic to another with reckless abandon. In the first stanza, I think you're talking about the mountains-and-cliffs and the extremes of an intense emotional journey. You're fantastic at composing your imagery (especially that last line in the first stanza: "clouds all green and low and swollen / too heavy to be only vapor"), and that adds a looot to the piece. You're a pro at showing and not telling, which sets you above the average writer. Then you get to the second stanza, which is kind of the "who am I" stanza, where you're questioning about your identity.

that I am undeniably composed of furled fields and vast spaces?

This part clashed for me a little bit. "Furled fields" sounds very introverted and clenched-fists, while "vast spaces" is more about emptiness. The ideas somehow coincide, but something about the abundance of space as opposed to the lack thereof is almost too oxymoronic for what you're trying to put out, I think. Maybe I'm wrong (I might be), but I would stick to one phrase or the other.

Skip to the third stanza. Somehow you've went from talking about the truth about yourself to the truth in general. But I honestly actually really like this stanza; it's probably my favorite of the entire piece. It just doesn't really fit, in my opinion. However, please keep it even if you do take it out of this particular piece, because wow (somehow "tangerine the skylines" just really encapsulates sunrise in the best way, and the rest of that stanza, about the unrecorded messages--please expand that. Into something. It's so amazing).

how many eyelashes and bones and dandelions exist in this world to be wished upon?

Nice transition. I like it.

In fact, I really like the whole "I wish" stanza. It gives a little personal insight, and gives the narrator something to strive for. That's important, even in poetry; it keeps the reader reading and makes them empathize with the narrator, as everyone has had something they've tried to overcome in their lifetime. Giving the narrator goals lends out hope that someday they'll achieve those goals. It adds to the story.

I never learned to speak while crying: it was always this dichotomy,
this terrible fight between consciousness and instinct.

At this point, it seems to me like entire poem kind of centers on finding a middle ground between who the narrator is and who they want to be. I think that overall, this stanza is perfect. I picked out those specific lines to quote because you've described the act of crying flawlessly. I wish I could steal those words right off the page, because your attention to detail and the way you can convey your emotion is mesmerizing.

However, the last line seems very out of place. "If only I could speak about things close to me without cringing." I get where you're coming from, but the verse is just dangling out in the open between "I have to find the common ground" and "I have to feel comfortable with my surroundings before I can go further". It's a rocky transition. Personally, I would just omit that line. Propel us forward instead of leaving us to float along between verses.

because definition is the space between two points

This seems a little redundant, seeing as you already talked about your need to find a middle ground. I would just throw this line out if it were me.

I love the last stanza. It's compelling and attention-grabbing, not to mention the fact that it illustrates how the narrator can get up after a fall and still have faith in herself. You've made this a poem about persistence and survival, and I adore it.

Overall, you've crafted a a beautifully-worded story of failure & revival (which is far more interesting and realistic than your average success story). I think that with some editing and cropping, you could have something truly transmundane and superlative with this.

Best of wishes
Sav

silverhanded says...

A little backstory: this piece is all about moving to the Salt Lake valley from the Midwest, really.

I 100% get everything you're saying andnill make sure to send you a final draft of this (if I ever get around to writing it...very busy with the whole school thing lately, but I'm trying really hard to carve out a space for poetry in there.)

passenger says...

Sorry if I (may have?) misinterpreted the message of the poem. And absolutely; I'm glad this might've been somewhat helpful. Good luck with school and stress etc., I'm feeling that same sort of thing right now and I totally get it. <3

Morrigan wrote a review...

I'm here!

Let's begin. On my first reasthrough, I was spellbound by swirling, beautiful, confusing imagery. This poem is meant to be savored and read slowly, so I knew that I needed time to come back to it. I'm glad I did come back to it. Many young poets let imagery use them, but you nudged it in the direction you wanted it to go. I think to properly review this poem, we have to look at intent and theme. So we can fully understand where the imagery and metaphor is pointing us.

While my interpretation of your poem might prove different from your intent, it is important for you to hear what readers think it means. Therefore, if you are unsatisfied with their analysis, you can change the poem to better convey your thoughts.

That being said, I think that the intent of this poem is to convey the narrator's search/struggle/want for identity. I think that the natural features and the kissing all work very nicely together to show this, and it's nice to read.

This is not a criticism, but a concern. While I am not an expert, I do read poetry regularly. Someone who does not read and analyze poetry regularly would miss a lot of what is going on. If you're happy with non-poetry readers not getting it, feel free to ignore this next advice.

Shakespeare did this great thing in a lot of his work. In some instances, if he were to write a line that he knew some of his audience might not grasp, he would use the next line to elaborate, in simpler terms, his meaning. Check out these two lines from Macbeth:

The multitudinous seas incarnadine,
Making the green one red.

In the first line, he uses "incarnadine," which means "to make red or pinkish." In the next line, he lays it out in simpler terms. This is part of the reason Shakespeare's plays had the staying power that they did. The people at the time were able to understand and enjoy whether they were low class or royalty. You don't use big words, but big concepts draped in metaphor. I like the line with the bomb threat bus because you're doing something like I mentioned: explaining it a different way, maybe to add metaphor, but it also puts in simpler germs for a longer audience (and a less focused read).

The tangerine skyline line is beautiful, but a bit overwhelming, and I think it would benefit from some rewording. I also think that you should get into the grounded, physical world a bit more in general. Just give us some sort of anchor among these beautiful images.

Personally, I think your capitalization choice worked well. It highlights that this is a self-focused poem because the I is the only thing capitalized.

I hope that what I'm saying is making sense to you. Similarly, I hope that this review proves useful to you. If you have any questions about this review, feel free to ask me. Happy poeting!

silverhanded says...

I have a very strange philosophy of poetry, and maybe one day I'll make a post about it. (If I do I'll make sure to let you know.)
For now, though, thank you so much for your feedback!

Morrigan says...

Comment on this so I remember to review it later, please! :)

silverhanded says...

friendly reminder to review, and thank you in advance! (:

Regretnothing says...

I think this was pretty good honestly. I hope you got a good grade on this too. You just need to put a little more editing into this like the grammar errors. I think you should just keep writing and do your thing. I'm sure the more you write and try the better you'll get. Keep up the good work.

silverhanded says...

Thank you for your feedback. If by grammar errors you're referring to my use of capitalization, I want to point out that omitting some or all capitalization is a stylistic choice and is very prevalent in contemporary poetry. Also, poetry is not (not should it be) held to the same grammatical standards as any prose.

Anniepoo103 wrote a review...

This is an amazing poem. I am sure you got a good grade.
There are a few things you need to work on though. You had a lot of grammar mistakes. I noticed that a lot of time you left the letter I lowercase.
Your work is truly beautiful, I just feel like you should know how to type it correctly and be informed on your mistakes.
At thte beginning, your poem really caught my attention. Honestly, about half way through I went back to the top and started reading it again. You kind of lost my attention. I am sure this problem will go away as you keep writing. Or maybe it's just me. Please don't feel bad about it though I dont want to discourage you.

just reviewed a beautiful piece
- Anne Throckmorton

silverhanded says...

Not capitalizing words is stylistic, especially in a lot of contemporary poetry. To me it brings a level of informality that I really like in poetry. Also, where is there an uncapitalized I? I scanned through it and I can't find one.

I don't think saying "your poetry is boring" is very constructive criticism. You would, of course, have no way of knowing this, but some of my poetry has been nationally recognized by the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, so obviously some people find value in it.

If you want to offer a more valid form of criticism, please refrain from making really general statements like that. Instead offer a critique of the subject matter or language use or something in that vein. Saying "this doesn't hold my attention" is a really poor critique. If I'd heard it earlier on (a year or two ago) I would have been incredibly discouraged because it's a rude and entirely unhelpful way to express yourself.

In the future, please be more specific. If you can't give advice to fix it, leave it alone. If you have to say something in a patronizing way, leave it alone. (saying I don't know how to type correctly and suggesting that I don't understand basic grammatical concepts, for example.)

Thank you for your feedback, but in the future please please please try to be more productive and kind.

Anniepoo103 says...

:( sorry

Anniepoo103 says...

i wont comment on any more of ur work..i swear..if u think my reviews are crappy ill try to not leave any more reviews....um..have a good day im sorry i hope u understand ):

silverhanded says...

I do appreciate feedback, but very general negative statements with no advice on how to fix things...those can be really discouraging, especially to young writers. Just try to be more specific in the future.

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor