z

Young Writers Society



Forearm Fractures

by silverhanded



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 133
Reviews: 3

Donate
Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:08 am



I really liked the beginning but you should have kept going with that instead of saying you didn't know what to write so this is all you came up with.




User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 am
View Likes
Lumi wrote a review...



Ry. ♥

I adore this predominantly because you display vulnerability without making it an overwhelming, crippling ultimate factor. It's given to the reader in a way that nearly says: "Here is how to be vulnerable, I have drawn you a map. Please do not be afraid because I do this, too."

The only part that doesn't particularly live up to its intended purpose is the ulna set, which I want to suppose is a reassurance about broken things healing because we are defensively-built creatures (and all of this is translating to psychology and I love it so much Ry you have no idea), but as opposed to the remainder, this sector comes off as particularly clinical. I think some tender love and care would remedy the issues that you're facing - likely some smoother flow, maybe more common-grade terminology. Just in that section.

You are perpetually wonderful. Never ever stop, even if it's text poetry to me at 4am.

Ty




silverhanded says...


Ry/Ty; my brain is so so so attracted to symmetry like that.

Expect more 4am poetry now. %u2764%uFE0F%uFE0F



User avatar
144 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 144

Donate
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 pm
GoldenQuill wrote a review...



Hey Silver! It's Gold! (Haha!) I hope all is well with you. Please forgive my potential blunders, as I am not a huge reader of poetry.

I enjoyed your piece thoroughly. It had weight, gravity, and the continual feeling of a deeper meaning. However, I do have a few notes.

Be careful about the language you use. It's all well and good to use difficult vocabulary, but make sure you both: A. know what they mean, and B. realize you are limiting your readers. Especially in poetry, where there are little to no context clues, a reader may be daunted if they cannot understand you.

In the above, you used the word liminal, which doesn't quite make sense in this context, and precipicitory, which isn't even a word.

I struggle with this, too, don't worry.

I also was a little confused as to why the writer says they couldn't write an anatomy poem -- as they were doing a great job until they mentioned it.

Though the shape of the work is interesting, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be anything. I was grasping for meaning and occasionally found "it's art for art's sake!", so just be aware and careful of that, too.

All in all, this is a solid piece with great potential! Be careful about being too abstract and losing meaning, but over all, wonderful job!

Always keep writing!




silverhanded says...


I just wanted to speak to a couple of these points from my perspective--I hope I don't come across too defensively :)

I understand your comment about vocabulary and your reasoning for making it, however I'd also like to say that personally, it came across as a bit patronizing. I'm sure part of that is just me having very strong opinions on unconventional word use and word creation. Firstly: I'm not sure why you'd say liminal doesn't make sense in context; personally I think both dictionary definitions fit (at a sensory threshold, barely perceptible & relating to an intermediate phase) but maybe that didn't translate? As far as I know, there isn't another word that better fits that context and intention, but I'm definitely always looking to expand my vocabulary so hmu if you know one!

As for precipicitory: of course it's not real :) I actually searched for a solid ten minutes through various physical and online dictionaries for an adjective form of precipice but failed to find one. (That's a lie--precipiced is a word that exists and is very rarely used, but unfortunately it didn't quite fit the meaning I was going for.) I'm a big advocate of making up words as long as there's some concrete knowledge of word parts and form and meaning.

Personally, I'm not sure the abstraction is something I'm comfortable talking about. When you move into addressing meaning and intention I don't like to interject my opinion, as I feel like poetry (like any other form of art) is something that must be felt somewhat intuitively. However, I will say that vagueness and density is pretty common for me; without giving too much personal detail, I'm just more comfortable wrapping the personal stuff up.

Shape, in my opinion, doesn't necessarily lend (or need to lend) meaning to a poem. I understand the search for meaning there, but I also don't agree with your implication that "art for art's sake" is inherently bad/lavish/unnecessary/distracting/whatever made you caution against it. Form in poetry (and again, remember that this is just my view and explanation thereof) isn't inherently meaningful or meaningless, and in this case has more to do with aesthetics and the formatting of the larger body of work from which I've pulled this piece than anything else.

The comment on inability to discuss anatomy came from the fact that I was thinking of anatomy in a more academic sense: medical anatomy and the study/ science linked to it.

Lastly, a nitpick: the "narrator" of a poem is referred to as the speaker. :) You said writer; I just want to make it clear that in poetic analysis the author and speaker are treated as separate because first person poetry is not always from the direct perspective of the poet.

Again, hope the tone here isn't too confrontational, I'm just always interested in discussing and explaining my poetry. :D



GoldenQuill says...


Hello there!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my review. However, I did want to point out that my questions, concerns, and thoughts are completely subjective and personal. When I ask you a question in a review, it's because another reader may internally ask the same upon reading. I'm merely trying to give you perspective beyond your own. What you do with this perspective is totally your own choice. You are not required to edit a single letter. This is all just from my perspective, as your work and your reply is from yours. This is to give you further clarity and understanding not just on your work, but how it may be perceived.
You are allowed to write however you want. My reviews simply point back at it and say, "Hey, here is what a reader who had never read your work may think and say, just so you're aware." This website is not only for sharing your work, but building your skill. You can only gain skill by outside perspective. There is no faster or easier way to do such.

When I mentioned art for art's sake, I specifically didn't say why to steer clear from it, because I am not telling you to steer clear from it. I said to be aware of it. I should've modified my words there to "and be careful if this wasn't what you were trying to do".

Again, my reviews are just for further knowledge about what your audience may be thinking.

Nothing in my review was meant to be taken as patronizing or harsh, so I apologize if it came off this way. This is a nitpick I myself get often, as I said before, so I understand how it feels to hear it.

All in all, art is subjective, so it's impossible to "grade". Which is why I do not. I enjoyed this piece, I just thought there is always room for new understanding and growth.

Have a good one, and always keep writing.




Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird