home is where the heart is

by silverSUNLIGHTx

Home is where the heart is
I swear it’s true
Mine is like a warm blanket
Wrapped around you
It keeps you warm and safe
Day or night
Memories spun into the thread
Hold you tight
Broken seams
Frayed edges
Just seem right
Home is where the heart is
And my heart will never leave

silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Gadi. wrote:I think this is a good first poem. My first poem was horrible. But I'm here to help you fix yours!

The actual title "Home is where the heart is" is very cliche. We don't like cliches. Cliches are grosssss. No one likes reading them. They're the main cause of society's problems. I think that you should overhaul the title and first line.

The fourth line, "Wrapped around you"... I didn't like it. I felt like it was forced, just for the rhyme. Why is "home" like a "warm blanket/wrapped around you"? Good poems have explanations for what they say. They make sense.

"Memories spun into the thread" is really cliche. Remove it, so.

I think that a lot of naive, inexperienced poets just say things in their poems, just like items that they feel have an emotive power, even though they don't really tie in these items into the rest of their poem. For example: "Hold you tight", "Broken seams". I've heard these phrases before--what do they add to this poem? If you just include them in the middle like that, they don't mean anything.

Anyway, I hope I helped you. Welcome to YWS!

haha thanks. :]
this poem i didn't really put much thought into, and the cliches were kind of on purpose.
but thanks a lot for your advice.
i will attempt to fix it, but i'm not sure about how possible that is. :]

Gadi. wrote a review...

I think this is a good first poem. My first poem was horrible. But I'm here to help you fix yours!

MissAngle wrote a review...

That`s a wonderful poem It has such a good meaning I know I should be critical too but I`m not very good at it :D

Home is where the heart is

I swear it’s true

Mine is like a warm blanket

Wrapped around you

It keeps you warm and safe

Day or night

These are my favourite lines :D

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien