z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

The Naming of a Cat

by silkrat


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

Maya drifted through the front door of our apartment, barely registering the soft click of the door locking behind her. My death, my funeral, my burial, she had barely registered anything at all. She was just floating through her life like a cloud of mist in the shape of her body. She was not dead, but she felt like a ghost.

A ghost…’ Maya considered it for a moment, the thought creasing her brow as it flashed across her transparent face.She scoffed at herself; she did not believe in ghosts.

“What’s dead is dead and what’s gone is gone, Lola.” she would say whenever I speculated about the connection between the people who must have died in our pre-war apartment building and the shrieking water pipes.

But here I am, Lola the Contrarian, dead but not gone. If she could see me hovering and hanging on to her every action, she would realize this isn’t much different than life. We used to joke about “till death do you part.” I told her, grinning around the fanciful exaggeration, that not even in death would I leave her. I haven’t changed, Maya. But you have.

Maya had become something unrecognizable. She no longer had the energy for carefully chosen and ever-fashionable clothes, the plain black dress she wore was the only break in a week of sweatpants. Her face was barren of makeup and dark purple smudges cradled her brown eyes. Her soft cheeks were sullen, and her warm brown skin dulled from a diet of saltines and hardly touched take-out dinners. She barely stepped foot in the kitchen anymore, the absent smell of her near-constant baking left the apartment feeling like a shell. Her long hair, black as her coffee in the mornings, was tied back in a braid to hide that it hadn’t been properly washed, just wetted in the shower as she hugged her knees and blankly stared at the tile floor.

Maya absently dragged her gaze across our quiet living room, scraping past the ugly orange couch we hauled up three flights of stairs together.Past the scuffed oak coffee table overrun with arrangements of white lilies and unopened condolences cards. Past the jacket I left waiting for my return draped on her wingback chair. Finally halting at a filthy cat. It was lounging comfortably on her threadbare rug, staring back with huge green eyes. A short laugh made its way through Maya’s mouth. The movement was foreign on her lips. The cat was an ugly and feral looking thing, dirty orange fur sticking out wildly in places and missing half an ear. It let out a harsh, rusty meow, as if asking whattookherso long to come home. The cat slowly got to its feet and trotted over. It sat patiently a few feet from Maya, who stared dumbfounded.

We did not have a cat, but the orange creature spurred a wave of recognition within me: I had seen it before.

“You know, I think that cat should be called Arthur. If I had a cat I’d call it Arthur,” I declared. Maya hadn’t asked me, but an orange blur darting into an alley on our way home got me thinking.

“I don’t like cats. Plus, you’re allergic, Lola.” She scrunched her nose cutely.

I replied with an unserious huff, “That cat’s always around though. He deserves a name.”

“You’re so sentimental,” she teased, taking my hand into her own, “but I guess if he needs one, Arthur’s good.” I leaned into her, and we meandered along like that for the rest of our short walk home.

While I reminisced, Maya examined the cat uncertainly. It was as if she glared hard enough the creature would reveal its secrets. It simply melted into the floor at her feet, rolling onto its back, languidly stretching, and revealing one unknown quite brazenly.

“Ah, so you’re a boy.” Maya chuckled delicately at the raggedy creature sprawled in front of her, crouching down to meet him. Her hand reached out tentatively, her fingers stopping inches shy from his pink nose. His head fell into her hesitant hand immediately, purring wildly as he closed the distance between them. She scrunched her nose, some sort of grease from the cat’s fur stuck to her skin and he drooled blissfully, “You’re disgusting.”

She examined her dirtied hands, the red polish on her typically manicured nails was chipped and her fingers were grimy with drool.

“Are you supposed to be so wet…?” She asked the cat uncertainly, as if he could reply, “Maybe you’re hungry.”

Maya disappeared into the kitchen, a small ember of determination glowing in her eyes. I’ve missed the warmth in her gaze, and yet I let her go. The orange cat had my full attention.

“Do you like the name Arthur?” I asked seriously, but he stared through me, cocking his head to the side. I waved my hand in front of his face, trying to get his attention, but he just retreated to the rug, shamefully shrunk his body, and began to retch.

“Not feeling too hot?” I tried to give a comforting pet, but my hand passing through his body startled him. I jumped back with the start, and my vision was consumed by stark white lilies as I fell harmlessly through the table, and into a memory.

“I hate lilies. They are so ugly. Who would ever want them in their wedding?” I turned from Four Weddings playing on the TV and looked her in the eyes seriously, “they kill cats you know? And dogs!” She chuckled and returned my gaze over her book.

“I think they’re fine, but I guess we won’t use them for our wedding then.”

“Like I’d marry a lily-lover,” I teased back, “but IF we had a wedding, I want violets.” She just shook her head with an amused smile and returned to her reading.

The goddamn lilies. The lilies that Maya accepted stone-faced from my mother, from her co-workers, from the man running the flower shop she bought me bouquets from. The flowers she knew I hated but politely piled on our coffee table until there was a mountain of grief she ignored and no one else could understand.

Maya, who was still in the kitchen, fought with our cheap can opener to open a can of tuna that refused to yield. The battle had her nearly to tears, and she slammed the half-opened can on the counter, drawing in a shaky breath.

I returned to the poor creature and the offensive flowers. The proudest of the bunch was an arrangement from my mother sitting carelessly close to the edge of the table. The cat pathetically pawed at the carpet, failing to hide his mess before he began retching again. He returned to the dangling flower.

I hopelessly swatted at him, only wanting to keep him away from the poison he seemed so eager to ingest. He leaped into the air once my hand passed through his small body, his paws scrambled along the edge of the table in a confused sort of landing. My mother’s arrangement, already too close to the edge, shattered on the floor. The cat, startled again, scurried across the floor to seek shelter from the crash. As the cat fled, Maya returned just as quickly, appearing from the doorway with wild eyes. She stomped over to the flowers furiously.

“What is wrong with you!” she howled, dropping to her knees on the living room floor, gently cradling the lilies as she cleaned my mess. Maya always cleaned my messes. The cat started to puke again.

“What did you do?” Maya’s voice quavered as she lifted the limp flower, the head of it falling off its stem. It had been chewed. Her expression dropped like a weight when she looked at the poor, scared animal. Relief washes over me as realization dawns on her. “Fuck… did you eat this?”

The cat met her eyes and crept forward, his body low to the ground and terrified. Maya choked on her guilt and abandoned the ruined arrangement, letting it fall out of her lap as she crawled slowly to the animal.

“You’re alright, I’m sorry.” She whispered, desperate for him to trust her again. “I’m not gonna hurt you, okay?”

The cat closed the gap between them, and she tenderly cradled him, dismissing her disgust of his grimy fur and leaking drool. She opened her phone and desperately tapped out ‘Cat ate lilies, what do I do?’ with shaking hands.

When she left our apartment, the cat bundled in a ratty blue towel I bought when we first moved in together, I followed. She did not take the direct route to the animal hospital, when her GPS insisted she drive past my cemetery on a serene tree lined road, she detoured.

Maya blew through the automatic doors of the hospital, and what a sight she was. Strands of coffee-colored hair hung loose from her braid, evidence of shaky hands running through it. She was dressed in formal black and clutched a softly mewing blue and orange package. She made a beeline for a prim sandy-haired receptionist.

The receptionist, a stout woman in a nametag with the name ‘LILLIAN’ pinned to her colorful paw-print scrubs gently coaxed Maya through the admission process, asking what the cat’s name was.

Maya barely hesitated, “Arthur.”

The remaining questions passed quickly, she explained he’d eaten my flowers and Arthur was whisked into the back before she could get her head to stop spinning. She sat in the uncomfortable and empty waiting room, suddenly all too aware of the lengths she was going. She didn’t even like cats. The fluorescent lights flickered slightly and suddenly, she was in the Emergency Room again, waiting for someone to tell her I was going to be alright.

Maya silently sat in the corner of my room; fluorescent lights shone unforgivingly from above. Countless tubes and wires wove in and out of my broken body, splatters of yellow and oily purple bruises painted my swollen face. I was half machine, only alive in the technical sense, but she still held my hand in hers. I couldn’t feel her thumb tracing warm circles on my knuckle anymore, I had been watching outside my body for some time.

“You aren’t gonna die, ok? You are gonna get through it Lola,” she whispered desperately, and I almost believed her, but I knew I was beyond saving. “You can’t die, you can’t leave me.”

I tried to take her hand, willed my disconnected fingers to respond with three quick squeezes—a silent ‘I. Love. You.’ But the useless thing refused to listen. She fell asleep like that, her exhausted body just slumped in her chair until she was beckoned away by a sympathetic looking doctor. I was gone, I was a donor, there was a man who could use my heart.

Maya gave the man my heart, and now she was hollow. She didn’t know when she started crying but tears appeared on her clasped hands. The grief had been welling up gradually and forced its way up her throat, she was too exhausted to push it down anymore, and she let go. Her shoulders shook with the intensity of it, and she gasped for breath in between the tides of emotion.

I hovered uselessly next to her. I longed to run my hand through her soft black hair and ease her pain, to coo soothing words in her ear, tell her ‘It’s alright, my love. I haven’t left you; I’m not gone.’ But to her, I was. I left her alone in the world we promised to fight together, and all I could do was watch as she, a stone pillar in my life, crumbled before me.

Lillian avoided looking at Maya at first, but once the sobs began to wrack her body she got out of her chair and toddled over, her caution resembling a person approaching a frightened animal, armed with a box of tissues. She placed an experienced hand on Maya’s shoulder, “He will be alright, dear. You caught it soon and our vets are very experienced.”

Maya looked at her helplessly and accepted the tissues. Lillian took the seat next to her and squeezed Maya’s hand reassuringly. Maya did not pull away from the stranger, instead leaning into the comfort as she wept. Lillian did not know who I was, she did not know the tears falling were not just for the poor cat having his stomach pumped so he might live, but for a lover who had already died.

Time passed slowly in that fluorescent waiting room, Lillian chatted with Maya between the ebb and flow of her grief, and the picture of my life (and death) slowly painted itself in her mind. When the tears lessened, she laughed as Maya joked about my feral bedhead, and when the grief came crashing back, she hugged her like her own child as Maya lamented. All the while, Arthur fought for life.

The cat had a coin flip chance, the veterinarian explained to Maya once she regained her composure. They had sedated him, pumped his stomach, given him fluids, and the only thing they could do was wait. 72 hours and he would be in the clear. So, she waited.

She waited the first night at my mother’s, who opened the door and pulled her into a tight embrace before Maya could say hello or explain the apartment was too empty for her to sleep in tonight. Maya told her about the cat and how sick he had gotten, apologizing tearfully for the ruined flower arrangement, but only earned a gentle hush. My mother sat her down on the same couch from my childhood, and they spent hours looking through photographs of my life.

The day after, Maya found a pet store. It was a musty, cramped, and generally un-Maya place, but she left with bags of anything ‘cat’ she could find. When she returned to our apartment, she gently placed the arrangements of lilies in a cardboard box and left them by the dumpster. Who’s sentimental now, dear?

The second night she scoured the internet for someone looking for an orange cat missing half an ear but came up with nothing.

The final morning, Maya took a call from the receptionist Lillian, who assured her everything was going quite well, and she could pick Arthur up at five. He would live. Maya took my jacket from the chair where I carelessly left it and pulled it on before heading out the door. She stopped first at the florist, where she’d bought flowers for first dates, and funerals, and weddings, and Sunday afternoons for years. He dropped everything to greet her. He assaulted her with questions of how she was holding up and assurance that if she ever needed anything she need only ask. She weathered the barrage as a small, relieved smile pulled at the corner of her lips. She left the shop with an armful of violets.

Maya, still hours early, drove in the direction of the animal hospital. She turned onto a quiet tree-lined road, and again into a cemetery lined with a black iron fence. On sunny mornings we would walk along the path here, relishing the sun on our skin and quietly pointing out impressive memorials.

It was not quite sunny, but she trudged on. She found me under a willow tree; my headstone was not yet in place, a small plastic sign adorning a pile of rich earth assured her I was there.

“Hey Lola,” she whispered to my grave, voice cracking “Sorry I’m late.”

“Took you long enough,” I smiled.

“I’m finally getting you that cat.” The tears fell freely.

I caressed her cheek gently. A breeze disturbed the willow branches around us.

“I know. You’re keeping the name, right?”

The rustle of the leaves whispered in her ears.

“You were right about Arthur. It’s a good name for a cat."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 389
Reviews: 4

Donate
Stickied -- Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:46 pm
View Likes
silkrat says...



Hello: this is my first work posted to this site, and I'm still trying to get my bearings. If anyone has any tips for using the site and writing reviews, please let me know! Also, the rating and genre systems confused me a bit so I hope I put this work under the correct places. Thanks for reading!!




Spearmint says...


Welcome to YWS!! I've posted a message on your wall with more links, but here are two specific ones for reviews and the rating system:

Review Tips -> This post mentions some of the many posts we have on YWS about ways to review.
Content Ratings Guidelines -> Here's some more info on the rating system. In this case, since there's an f-bomb in the work, rating it 18 with a Language tag is exactly right. Nice job!
The genre system isn't as formal, so you can simply pick the genres that you think describe the work best. I think "Dramatic" and "Supernatural" do work well for this piece. ^-^

Hope to see you around! :]



User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 39462
Reviews: 151

Donate
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:57 pm
View Likes
PKMichelle wrote a review...



Hello friend!
I saw your work in the Green Room and figured I’d check it out.


Per my interpretation, this was an absolutely phenomenal short story! It had an incredible plot, and it was written in an amazing way that truly portrays all of the emotions of the story really well.

The story starts with Maya finding a stray cat and remembering what Lola said would be a good name for a cat. She contemplates it and takes the cat in, when the cat goes a little wild and breaks a vase full of lilies. Unbeknownst to Maya, the cat also ate some of the lilies and got incredibly sick. This causes her to rush to the vet, and the entire scene of not knowing what's going to happen to the cat causes her to remember when she was in the ER with Lola. Luckily, the cat survives, and in memory of Lola, Maya keeps it and names it Arthur.

This was not only a really beautiful story, but it was also quite poetic, and it did an outstanding job arousing all sorts of emotions.


If I could offer any sort of advice, it would be a really tiny thing related to numbers in writing. When the vet was telling Maya what was happening with Arthur, you said,

72 hours, and he would be in the clear.


But in writing, it is much more traditional and accepted to write numbers as words, as it helps the writing stay consistent instead of jumbling it with words and numbers. So what you wrote above would look a little more like this:

Seventy-two hours, and he would be in the clear.


But, obviously, this is just a suggestion, and it's always up to the writer, so please take this criticism lightly and know that I mean nothing negative by it—only trying to provide a somewhat useful critique.


If I had to pick my favorite part, there would be a few! This was truly a marvelous piece, and I genuinely feel that only picking one thing out would be a crime... so I picked multiple!

The first thing that really caught my eye was the way you showed the way Lola's death impacted Maya. You showed how incredibly devastating it can be and how it can entirely change someone, especially when you said,

Maya had become something unrecognizable. She no longer had the energy for carefully chosen and ever-fashionable clothes; the plain black dress she wore was the only break in a week of sweatpants. Her face was barren of makeup, and dark purple smudges cradled her brown eyes. Her soft cheeks were sullen, and her warm brown skin dulled from a diet of saltines and hardly touched take-out dinners. She barely stepped foot in the kitchen anymore; the absent smell of her near-constant baking left the apartment feeling like a shell. Her long hair, black as her coffee in the mornings, was tied back in a braid to hide that it hadn’t been properly washed, just wetted in the shower as she hugged her knees and blankly stared at the tile floor.


This does an amazing job showing how Maya has sunken into a vat of depression that has caused everything about her to change. She can't shower, she can't cook, and she can't dress herself, all because she lost someone she loved. And I just love the way you wrote because of how realistic it is. You painted the picture of her pain and grief in a really vivid and ravishing way, so kudos to you for that!

The next thing about this story that I really liked was the way the story switched between the past and the present, integrating what happened with what is currently happening. One quote that I felt captured this idea really well is:

and showing how devestating life has been for Maya lately.

She sat in the uncomfortable and empty waiting room, suddenly all too aware of the lengths she was going. She didn’t even like cats. The fluorescent lights flickered slightly, and suddenly she was in the Emergency Room again, waiting for someone to tell her I was going to be alright.


This was a great way to show how similar these situations were—losing Lola and possibly losing her cat. The way she is sent into a flashback really shows how devastating life has been for Maya lately and how traumatic it has all seemed for her. It once again paints the picture of her pain quite beautifully while showing all that she's gone through.

I also want to say that I genuinely love how you transitioned to the flashbacks! It's so smooth and blended extremely nicely, so good job with that!

The final thing that really stood out to me was the way the story sort of comes full circle. It starts in a rather dark spot, but there's a flicker of light when a flashback comes in and Maya tells living Lola that she can't have a cat.

“You know, I think that cat should be called Arthur. If I had a cat, I’d call it Arthur,” I declared. Maya hadn’t asked me, but an orange blur darting into an alley on our way home got me thinking.

“I don’t like cats. Plus, you’re allergic, Lola.” She scrunched her nose cutely.


And it ends in a rather dark place (a cemetery), but there's light when Maya says she's getting Lola the cat she had been asking for and names the cat Arthur in Lola's memory.

“Hey Lola,” she whispered to my grave, her voice cracking. "Sorry, I’m late."

Took you long enough,” I smiled.

“I’m finally getting you that cat.” The tears fell freely.


I just thought this was astonishingly unique and really creative from a writing perspective. Everything came to make complete sense, and there was a happy ending even in the most trying of times. As a reader, I loved the way you ended this and how the entire story tied together in the end.

You did a great job writing this, and I had so much fun diving into the words of this story!


Overall, this was absolutely splendid and incredibly well-written! I have nothing to complain about here, and I genuinely look forward to your future writing!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this, and I hope this review is of some use to you!


Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!




silkrat says...


Hello! thank you so much for the in-depth and extremely thoughtful review!!
One of the places I had a lot of trouble with when writing was the transitions for the flashbacks, so seeing you praise them let me know I FINALLY stuck the landing with them. Also, in regards to the numbers, I definitely see what your saying! I always operated under the "double words are written numerically" rule i picked up somewhere, but I agree that the written "Seventy-two" is MUCH more pleasing to read.

Once again, thanks for the fantastic review!!



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 41
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:22 pm
View Likes
JSadler wrote a review...



Hi! I saw you read my poem and your review was so eloquent, kind and just really lovely and it made me want to read your writing!
This is the first review I'm writing so probably don't think too much over my thoughts, at the end of the day it's your writing, your story, and you know best about it <3
Also this is unrelated but i thought it would be cool if we could become friends, seeing as we're both new here! I would love to read more of your work and we could share ideas and stuff - no pressure though :)

Initial Thoughts:
Your writing is really beautifully crafted and you've managed to create a wonderfully heartbreaking, moving tale about love, loss and grief, with the really interesting twist of narrating from the point of view of the dead person!

Strengths:
Your style of writing is absolutely fantastic. You manage to describe everything in a way that paints really vivid images but also is fast paced enough to stop me from getting confused or bored.
You get a really strong sense of the relationship and love between Maya and Lola in this piece, and you expertly hinted at and subtly portrayed the struggle Maya was having dealing with Lola's death.
I loved the through-line of the cat, driving forward the piece and acting as an object to explore how Maya is dealing with her grief.
I also thought the use of flashbacks was so effective, i got a real sense of the relationship between the pair, their love and communication while Lola was alive and its contrast with the frustratingly one-sided relationship after she has died.
The use of the ghost narrator made this really interesting and compelling to read, elevating it from a simple story about grief to a much more complex, moving one exploring both sides.

Weaknesses (Are there any??):
I thought perhaps you could have taken advantage more of the use of the ghost narrator, and maybe used that to explore Lola's character in slightly more depth. I would have loved to have seen more of a sense of frustration that Lola has at the supernatural barrier separating her from Maya, at times she felt a bit too passive/accepting of the situation. (although it kind of depends on how long has passed since she died - i can't remember if that was said, sorry).

Final thoughts:
This was a wonderful piece: heartbreaking, moving and emotional in all the right ways. The techniques and description used was incredibly effective. I was honestly entranced from beginning to end reading it. Now, i think I've run out of words I can use to describe this.

Sorry if this was really long and repetitive, i didn't have much to say other than that i thought it was fantastic :)
Also, this is all just my opinion, and i am in no way an expert...
Thank you for sharing this with us!! Xx




silkrat says...


Thank you for the thoughtful review, I really appreciate it!! As for being friends, I would be happy to get to know this site and the people on it with you :) I followed you, feel free to PM me any time you want to talk about writing or anything :)




Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical