z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Love And Freedom

by sickleclock


I have phobia

Phobia of love.

It makes a cage

Inside gets trapped me and my freedom.

I am bound to pay for their love

Alas!I am so poor a being

That I sell my freedom for paying.

They feed me comfort

My heart longs for wilderness

They assure me safety

My soul suffers lack of danger.

Now my longing heart and suffering soul are waiting,

For the far future to come

When rich enough I will become

To break the walls of love.

When I will fly miles and miles

When I will fall hundreds and stand back thousands a time

When I will cross the frontiers and rest seldom

With only me and my FREEDOM.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:02 pm
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

I have phobia

Phobia of love.

It makes a cage

Inside gets trapped me and my freedom.


If you're going to use these first two lines, place a comma in between them after "phobia". I don't see why "Phobia" is capitalized the second time. I felt as if this first part of the poem was weak in what it was trying to say and could have been worded better. Instead of having "inside gets trapped me and my freedom" I suggest having a line like "inside I am trapped with my freedom/beside my freedom".

In this part of the poem it seems like you're trying to say that you're afraid of falling in love and see it as a cage on you. The idea is well, but the execution feels awkward with the wording and it's rather bare when it comes to imagery. My suggestion is to try and describe the cage. What does the cage feel like? Is it a rusty cage? Does it have a door that's locked? There are so many things you can do with the simple ideas that you have here but you don't do anything with them.

I am bound to pay for their love

Alas!I am so poor a being

That I sell my freedom for paying.

They feed me comfort


If you decide to keep the "Alas!" at the beginning of the second line you need to put a space in between it and "I" but I suggest scrapping it. Don't try to create some sort of voice that you want to use just because it sounds nice. It makes the narrator more distant to the reader or makes it harder to relate. Instead of doing this I suggest trying to focus more on the description aspect that hasn't really been touched in the poem.

My soul suffers lack of danger.

Now my longing heart and suffering soul are waiting,

For the far future to come

When rich enough I will become.


You say a lot of stuff in this stanza like how your heart is longing and your soul is suffering. I personally don't like these types of lines as they're generic and don't have any meaning behind them. My question is, why are they there and what do they contribute to the theme of the poem? The theme of the poem is very broad, as the title also states the theme of love being sort of a cage and wanting to be free of it, and I felt like you needed to hone in more on what you're trying to do with this poem.

To break the walls of love.

When I will fly miles and miles

When I will fall hundreds and stand back thousands a time

When I will cross the frontiers and rest seldom

With only me and my FREEDOM.


This part of the poem shows where the direction of the poem is completely lost and is now just making it to the end of the poem. Instead of breaking the walls of love or flying miles and miles, try and do something that relates and connects more to what you wrote earlier in the poem. The lines start to feel like they're doing their own thing instead of creating a poem too much here.

Some of the lines felt like they could be connected with commas or semicolons but you didn't really do this, so my suggestion is to add more punctuation and mix it up rather than just going straight for a period after the line starts.

I don't see why "FREEDOM" was in all caps but it took away from the poem because you were basically shouting out that you used a lot of base words like "love" and "freedom" in this poem, but didn't bother to try and express them. Tell me that you think love is a cage, go ahead, I won't believe you until you show me. I won't believe you until you express this into metaphors and imagery that have it subtly placed rather than it being so aloud.

I hope this helped and have a great day!




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1912
Reviews: 30

Donate
Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:00 am
View Likes
ardentlyThieving wrote a review...



Hey Sickle, welcome to YWS. I'm not really an expert at reviewing, but I'll do my best.

Firstly, I really like the concept of this poem. The idea that love and freedom are at odds with each other is an interesting one, and while I'm not incredibly familiar with it, it does make sense. A lot of the time people do seem to act impulsively, or at odds to how they usually would, due to love or being in love, and I think you've shown that well here. Your poem shows a kind of inner conflict, and to me it seems like the narrator is rather bitter towards the idea of love. Maybe they've been hurt in the past, or maybe they just value their independence? I don't know, and it doesn't really matter, I feel this poem is stronger with that left ambiguous.

Now onto my personal weak spot: grammar. Someone else will probably be able to explain better than I can, but I'll do my best. Forgive me if I'm wrong about anything. These will all be suggestions, feel free to change or not as you wish, depending on if they work with the style or not.

"Inside gets trapped me and my freedom" should be "Me and my freedom gets trapped inside" or "My freedom and I become trapped inside" or something along those lines.

"That I sell my freedom for paying" should be "That I sell my freedom to pay for".

"They assures me safety" should be "They assure me safety" or "They assure me my safety".

"Now my longing heart and suffering soul is waiting" should maybe be "Now my longing heart and suffering soul are waiting".

"When enough rich I will become" should be "When I will become rich enough" or "When rich enough I will become".

"When I will cross the frontiers and rest seldom" should be "When I will cross the frontiers and seldom rest".

Again, this isn't my strong point, and even if it was you can take this all as suggestions. It's up to you what you change, if anything.

In closing, you do have a really strong piece. The idea behind it is solid and interesting, and aside from a few grammatical issues you have written it well. This is a very good piece and I really enjoyed reading it. I hope you continue writing, because you obviously do have some very good ideas that just need a tiny bit of polishing to become some of my favourite pieces.

- Ardently




sickleclock says...


Thanks Ardently for the suggestions.Frankly speaking I am very poor at grammar.On top of that I was writing the poem in a rush as I was a lot excited to publish something.As a result I made those grammatical mistakes you pointed out and now I have made a few changes in my poem.Sorry I couldn't take all your suggestions as some of the grammatical corrections will destroy the beauty of the lines.



sickleclock says...


Thanks Ardently for the suggestions.Frankly speaking I am very poor at grammar.On top of that I was writing the poem in a rush as I was a lot excited to publish something.As a result I made those grammatical mistakes you pointed out and now I have made a few changes in my poem.Sorry I couldn't take all your suggestions as some of the grammatical corrections will destroy the beauty of the lines.





No problem! Like I said, they were just suggestions. I agree that sometimes it can be better style-wise to not change things, and in the end it's up to you. Glad I could help in some areas though :D




It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain