Puppy Mills

by shutdownpupppymills

Hundreds of thousands of dogs suffer in puppy mills in this country. The dogs are prisoners of greed. They are locked in small cages. They freeze in the winter and swelter in the summer. The dogs never get out of their prisons. They are bred over and over again until they die. Very often the dogs in puppy mills are covered with matted, filthy hair, their teeth are rotting and their eyes have ulcers. The dogs are kept in small wire cages for their entire lives. They are almost never allowed out. They never touch solid ground or grass to run and play. We have seen many dogs whose jaws have rotted because of tooth decay. Many of the dogs are injured in fights that occur in the cramped cages from which there is no escape. Many dogs lose feet and legs when they are caught in the wire floors of the cages and cut off as the dog struggles to free themselves. Very often there is no heat or air-conditioning in a puppy mill. The dogs freeze in the winter and die of heat stroke in the summer. Puppies "cook" on the wires of the cages in the summer. Female dogs are usually bred the first time they come into heat and are bred every heat cycle. They are bred until their poor worn out bodies can't reproduce any longer and then they are killed. Often they are killed by being bashed in the head with a rock or shot. Sometimes they are sold to laboratories or dumped. This is often by the time they reach five years old. Puppy mills maximize their profits by not spending adequate money on proper food, housing or veterinary care. The food that is fed in puppy mills is often purchased from dog food companies by the truck load. It is sometimes made of the sweepings from the floor. It is so devoid of nutritional value that the dogs' teeth rot at early ages. Dogs in puppy mills are debarked often by ramming a steel rod down their throats to rapture their vocal cords. Puppies are often taken from their mother when they are 5 to 8 weeks old and sold to brokers who pack them in crates for resale to pet stores all over the country. The puppies are shipped by truck or plane and often without adequate food, water, ventilation or shelter. Innocent families buy the puppies only to find that the puppy is very ill or has genetic or emotional problems. Often the puppies die of disease. Many others have medical problems that cost thousands of dollars. And many have emotional problems because they have not been properly socialized in the mills. Don't bring this misery into your home. There are over 4000 federally licensed breeding kennels. Approximately 3,500 pet stores in the United States sell puppies. They sell approximately 500,000 thousand puppies a year. It is estimated that the puppy industry in Missouri is valued at 40 million dollars a year. The puppy industry in one county in Pennsylvania - Lancaster - is valued at 4 million dollars a year. There are seven states that are known as puppy mill states because they have the majority of the puppy mills in the country. They are: Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania. There is federal law, the Animal Welfare Act, and many states have laws that purport to regulate puppy mills, but the fact is that those laws are rarely enforced. Pet stores often tell customers that their puppies come from local breeders or quality breeders. Don't believe them, ask to see the paperwork and find out where the puppies really come from. If the people of the United States refused to buy a puppy in a pet store, the misery of puppy mills would end. Please tell everyone you know about the puppymill and petstore connection. Buying a puppy in a pet store has significant risks for the purchaser and their family. A state funded survey in California found that nearly half of the puppies sold in pet stores were sick or incubating diseases. This doesn't count the ones suffering from genetic diseases. Imagine bringing a puppy home from a pet store only to have it die from parvo and cost thousands of dollars in vet expenses because of genetic problems like hip dysphasia. Some dogs are so psychologically scarred from the mind numbing boredom of being imprisoned in a small cage for year and years that they have developed repetitive habits like going round and round in circles for hours and hours or barking at the wall for hours.

Number of Cats and Dogs entering Shelters each year: 6-8 million

Number of Cats and Dogs euthanized each year: 3-4 million

Number of Animal shelters in the United States: between 4000 and 6000

Percentage of dogs in shelters who are purebred: about 25%

Number of pet stores in the USA that sell puppies: about 3500

Number of Pet store puppies sold each year: approx. 500000

The only way to free them from the misery of these horrid puppy mills is to eliminate the demand for puppies by refusing to buy a puppy in a pet store and boycotting those pet stores that sell puppies. When people stop buying puppies in pet stores, the puppy mills will go out of business and the misery will end. The state and federal governments do not enforce the laws to protect the dogs. The commercial breeders and brokers have huge well-funded lobbying efforts. Please join this fight to free the prisoners of greed. The only person who is going to make a difference for the dogs suffering in puppy mills is you. You, the people, can free them from their puppy mill prisons.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:29 am
AyumiGosu17 wrote a review...

A good essay, but it could be better. Try breaking this into specific topics, and then have one paragraph per topic. It makes more sense and looks better that way.

I complete agree with you on puppy mills. I have gotten two dogs from such mills, and both of them have medical problems: vertebral errors, obesity, tooth decay, and bowed legs. Both have psychological disorders: one is practically insane where the other is a full-on aggressor. And what's bad is...they came from the same puppy mill, only one was sold in a store and the other was bought personally. I saw for myself that the cages were only two feet by three feet, full of mud and feces, and had no kind of ventilation, cooling, or heating system. Both puppies had never seen grass before and freaked out the first time I took them outside.

Just work on your organization skills, and this could be an amazing and very persuasive essay! Shoot, take it to Humane Society as a topic for discussion!

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Fire In Bleeding Hearts wrote a review...

Tis me again, Pup's cousin.

Alright, where do you people live that you don't know about Puppy Mills?

Puppy Mills breed prebreed dogs but, inhumanly. If you watch Oprah you should know, heck, if you bother to watch the news or care about dogs you should know what they are.

ProfessorRabbit wrote a review...

I agree with Snoik on this one. I'd never heard of puppy mills before, either, and your essay merely states that puppies are kept in cages and... bred? What for? Are we talking about purebreed dogs here, or are they just pumping out mutts so that people can buy little puppies? I don't really understand the purpose of the institutions that you are condemning, and it makes it difficult to get into your article. I'd also suggest breaking up that paragraph, as huge blocks of text tend to be difficult to read, especially on a computer screen. It's true that you don't have to write your essay in five-paragraph, high-school-english-class format, but paragraphs will help you organize your ideas and make it easier for people to read the essay.

Incidentally, the point of this site is for you to post your work so that other people can read it and give you suggestions on how to make it better, as the previous posters in this thread have done. :)

Snoink says...

I have read it, several times. Not once do you explain what a puppy mill is. So you're going to want to include this in your work. ;)

If you are reading this, in the beginning, there are a lot of facts! Reread it! They are bred over and over again! Reread it before you tell me what to do!!

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 pm
Snoink wrote a review...

To make the argument even more persuasive, try explaining what puppy mills are before you start telling us the facts. I have never heard of puppy mills before I read this and this was very informative, yet I get a feeling that I am missing something important. So just explain it first and it'll be much better. :)

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:10 pm

I am Pup's cousin.

By launching into the arguement she saved me some reading time. I don't care about her opionon(sp?) all that much but, I care about the facts so I can form my own. Not everybody has to follow the same order for a essay, it is not a law.
And Puppy Mills, oddly enough, can include cats so they should be included in the same essay.

Thank you(not) for your not so great information.

P.S- Remember, this is a site where people post their writing to get rated. Many of you just tell them how to write it and act like their better.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:14 am
alwaysawriter wrote a review...

You should join the Animals and Environments group. I wrote a post on Puppy Mills but no one responded. :( :? Have you joined care2.com yet? There's petitions and tons of animal rights groups, including some against puppy mills. :)

Leja wrote a review...

There's a solid beginning here for a very persuasive essay, but it is sorely in need of organisation. Instead of launching straight into the argument, as you do in the first few sentences, take the time to state your opinion. Something clear, like "Puppy mills should be shut down." That is a clear position, something that I can follow throughout the essay, rather than "dogs suffer in puppy mills." Yes, they do, but that doesn't provide an arguable statement. This is a fact, as are many of the other statements at the beginning of this essay.

Take the time to plan out what you want to express or others, like me, will surely get lost in the text. I find outlines to be very helpful for this. Yours might look something like this:

I. Introduction
II. What are puppy mills?
III. How has the business of puppy mills developed?
IV. What can be done to eliminate puppy mills?
V. Conclusion

Right now, this is a very passionate stance on the consequences of puppy mills, but it seems like a list of semi-random facts. If it can all be put into a logical order, the point will become that much stronger. Make sure you incorporate solid statistics (i.e. exactly how many dogs die in puppy mills each year, how many puppies are bought from puppy mills as opposed to being adopted from shelters, percentage that end up with medical problems, average cost of related health problems etc.). Vague statements hurt your point rather than help it.

Also, incorporate your facts! The block of statistics at the end would do well as a sidebar if this were a magazine article, but to just stick it in the middle of an all-text essay doesn't tell us how to view this information. As a persuasive essay, you as the author should use these statistics to lead us as the readers to your given conclusion, rather than letting them stand alone for themselves. What this means is that you should look back to your outline and see which facts will fit best in what part of the essay. They'll mean more in context rather than just standing alone as a list. As a side note, the essay is about dogs that are sold through puppy mills, but some of the statistics include cats as well. Try to remain focused on dogs, as that is the point you're making. If you would like to include cats as well, that should be done in a separate essay.

Happy writing!

Talent is something that comes from within; it has nothing to do with age.
— AURORA