z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Mercy.

by shusher


My head is turned away.
My eyes open to dust.
My heart beats in lust.
My strength is mere... whatever


I told You from Your Word
I told You from Your Word that I…

That I’d seek you.

But God, look
But God, look at me.

I promised by Your Word,
"In the morning, I'll seek you."

But in that morning,
my words were half hearted
and my eyes were half opened. 

So, I asked.
I asked for rebuke.

Mercy.

So... I asked
I asked for mercy.

Mercy
In abundance.

You do what You do.
You are who You are.
You show mercy.
You are merciful.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2003
Reviews: 62

Donate
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:32 pm
Poopsie wrote a review...



Hi shusher,

I guess your poem just isn't my style, rather it is written in a style I don't normally see.

Your poem is clear and concise as stated below, but I can't really find a specific meaning in it. Because of this I can't sympathize with anything in the poem. You use redundancy as a tool here, that is you say the same line twice for a reason I cannot understand. You're asking someone for mercy, then thanking them for being merciful. I'm not sure if this is a religious piece or a melancholy piece. I think you should add on to this, it could end up being great!

-poop guy



Random avatar
shusher says...


It is a religious piece, as said in the description. I'm sorry you didn't see much clarity. When a personal pronoun is capitalized, it is usually referenced to God, which is why you see 'You' capitalized very frequently. There is also a time where I say 'God' explicitly. The meaning behind the poem is saying God is merciful, which is why that is explicitly said in the last stanza. The point of redundancy, is when you say it out loud, it sounds, to me, like you're frustrated. I appreciate the comment, and encouragement to add on. However, I do not know what I would add on which won't take away from the last stanza. Do you have any suggestions?



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 524
Reviews: 54

Donate
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:53 am
StupidSoup says...



Concise and to the point! However, the poem is quite vague. Perhaps some symbolism could help!



Random avatar
shusher says...


I'm sorry for vagueness, but there was no specific location that I was asking God to show mercy. I just asked Him to show it. I agree with you imagery and symbolism help a lot, but where the poem stems from has no room, which is Psalm 6.



Random avatar

Points: 946
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:40 pm
View Likes
shusher says...



Thank you all so much for the likes and reviews! I'm so shocked this made it to front page! Again, thank you all so much.




User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 67
Reviews: 51

Donate
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 am
ellasnotebook wrote a review...



Hello! I love this poem. It has it's flaws, but I really connected with it.

I don't have much to say or criticize that anyone else hasn't already said. Just watch repetition, rhyme scheme, you know.

I don't think you need a comma after so:

"So, I
So, I asked
So, I asked for mercy."

You really conveyed the emotions of desperation in this piece. I highly recommend editing and polishing it. With some work it could really shine! You have the emotion, now you just have to go through all the technical stuff and smooth it out.

If you edit it, please let me know - I would definitely like to read it!

ella



Random avatar
shusher says...


I gave it an edit.
Hope you like it.
Now, here's this rhyme
that doesn't work.



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:36 pm
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



Hello shusher!
Here's a somewhat late Welcome to YWS!
I hope you're enjoying your time on here. :)

Now, on to the review!

I like how this is a prayer, and I especially love that ending. It's honest and contrite and overall lovely. Thank you for sharing it. I happened to read your "description" of this before I clicked on it, and saw it had to do with Psalm 5. So I read the psalm. Then I read this. I actually went back and forth a couple times, trying to see the connection. v. 7 does mention mercy, but other than that, I didn't see how this poem related to David's words at all. Unless. You intend for the speaker of this poem to be David. In that case, I see more of a connection. Though it's still pretty vague.

I like how this poem is written as if a broken and desperate person is speaking. The repetition, I thought, worked well, but I think you may have overused it a tad.

I told You
I told You from Your Word
I told You from Your Word that I…

That I’d seek you.

I noticed when I was reading this that I happened to skip the "I told You" in line 3. Looking at it again, I don't think it's necessary. You've brought your point across as shown in the first two lines, and the repetition is already becoming tiresome. One effective tool in making works look choppy and disjointed in a way, is using the dash! So, as an example, this stanza I highlighted would look like this:
I told You -
I told You - from Your Word
that I - that I'd seek you

Mmm, so yeah, that's not the best example, but hopefully you see what I mean. Writing the whole poem in that style would give the effect of a shaky and heartbroken prayer - like this appears to be. (Speaking of poetry and dashes and such,
here's a great poem that exemplifies what I mean).

My eyes open to dust.
My heart beats in lust.
My strength is mere crust.
My limbs will soon bust.


After all that broken speech and repetition, this stanza of perfect rhyme and straightforward sentences made me go, "Woah!" I'd suggest switching it around, maybe doing an AABB scheme, or ABAB scheme... I don't know! Play around. I just don't like how this current one reads. It seems like you're forcing the rhyme, and "bust" doesn't fit with the mood of this. It's rather out of place. I'm also not sure about the second to last line there: my strength is crust?

In this
In this I asked
In this I asked for rebuke.

Mercy.

So, I
So, I asked
So, I asked for mercy.

This confused me. I asked for rebuke, then there was mercy is how I interpreted it. But if mercy was suddenly given, why in the next stanza are you asking for it?
I don't think I understand. :p

You do what You do.
You are who You are.
You show mercy.
You are merciful.

I love this stanza. <3
There's no forced rhyme. The statements aren't choppy, but they ring so true! And it is the perfect ending. After all this struggle, the repetitive prayer, all you can do is worship God. It's so lovely, I keep reading it over and over again.

--

I hope this helps!
Have a fantastic day, shush. :)

~rosette <3



Random avatar
shusher says...


I was thinking the same thing about the repetition of broken lines. You make several good points. As far as psalm 5 connections... I was mistaken. It is psalm 6.

Addressing your confusion of "I asked for rebuke... / mercy / so I asked for mercy / mercy abundantly." I thought about putting, "you rebuked me in your mercy." The issue with that, is it's not biblically accurate according to several verses in Proverbs. Anyways, it is what happened. I asked God to chasten me, because I like rapid progress, and God's discipleship would hold exactly this. I was in a time (still am) that whatever God says is good, I ask for.

"Oh, relationships are good? God, give me relationships. Laying my life for my friend shows love? God, teach me how to do this."

But when I asked to be crushed for the better understanding of God, I received mercy. Money coming out of nowhere, literally. I made a tuition payment, counted the money twice. It was $400. I gave it to the lady at the desk, and she counts $600.

Technique-wise

I agree with you on how it breaks up a little... too much. It seems like I'm always adding one unnecessary line. "I told you / ..." not necessary.
"So, I / ..." not necessary.

Makes me walk away thinking, "C'mon, Joel. You're better than this." Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to edit lol.



rosette says...


Ah, okay! Psalm 6 makes much more sense - it's also one of my personal favorites. :P
Also: thanks for explaining. That's crazy. God is so good! Lately, I've been thinking of praying to ask God not what I want, but what He wants. I did ask Him to break me... and He did. And he still is! And it is not easy, but He won't ever give us more than we can handle, so I know you can be okay.

Whoops. Went off on a ramble there. xD
If you want to edit this now you can just click "Edit Work" in the sidebar on the right OR if you really want to start fresh, write it all out all over again and post your new work! Either way, I'd like to see the results. :)


Random avatar
shusher says...


I just edited this lol (the poem, not the comment)



rosette says...


oh okay xD



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:14 pm
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this very unique poem about a believer in God who feels sinful and the need to request forgiveness from a God he describes as merciful. But there is far more involved than just that and that's what gives the poem its depth of meaning.
The speaker is under extreme emotional stress due to guilt and doubt which is causing him or her to be hesitant and repetitive. In a way it almost seems as if the speaker doubts that he will indeed be forgiven and must therefore grovel in order to attain it.

It's as if he feels God is ignoring him. After all, why would he need to tell God to look at him if he didn't feel rejected? Or remind God that he had previously made promises based on God's own Word?

Whether or not the speaker is deserving of the mercy he seeks is another matter. Some people are habitual sinners and abuse God's undeserved kindness by sinning purposefully while counting on mercy. So that is for God who can read the heart to decide.



Random avatar
shusher says...


How on earth are you so good at interpretation? Your second paragraph is literally what I wrote down in my notes of psalm 5, and you read straight through my open seas poem as well. So, thanks for looking at my work, and please continue to do so! I'll be looking for your future publishing's as well.



Radrook says...


Thanks for the encouraging words. Will look up psalm chapter five.


Random avatar
shusher says...


It's 6! I need to change the description lol




Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
— Mark Twain