z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Insert half-decent title here.

by shusher


Yeah, I’m putting the description in the story!

Why?

Because forget you, that’s why!

I’m a heartless,
Careless reviewer.

I’m a bashing,
Trashing critique.

This poem, or whatever
Is about me reviewing the works of some writers.
The reasons I say what I do,
And… there should be a 4th line here, but I don’t know what to put.

Just give that stanza a hug
Like it’s a fork, and you’re the noodle.
Care for it, feed it,
So I can rhyme, ‘canoodle.’

Anyways, back to the review.
Here’s what I’ll say and why.

If the phrase ain’t good,
“The phrase ain’t good.”
If I don’t like the story
,“This phrase ain’t good.”

My nit-picky critiques,
seemingly bleak
Are kind of ironic
Or so to speek.

The mistakes you make
Are the mistakes I’ve baked.
The issues of your works
I know from my querks.

I’m heartless for lesser
‘Cause you’ve got what’s better.
I’ve seen the talent
And want it brought forth.

So, let me rephrase some things.

“You suck,”
Is a request of confidence.
“You’re garbage,”
Is requesting some cadence.

I insult for drive.
I diss so you’ll strive.
It burns for memory
Of how I like a good story.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:58 am
Horisun wrote a review...



This piece is pretty old, but I thought I'd review it anyway, as it was really interesting.

So, I really enjoyed the rhyming in this, and the flow was good. Grammar and spelling, from what I saw, was good as well.
However, one stanza in particular,
""You suck"
"Is a request of confidence.
""You're garbage,"
"Is requesting some cadence"

That is not how you critique work. Being harsh and putting someone down are two VERY different things. You can tell them every little thing they're doing wrong, and nitpick every little detail, but you have to tell them how to fix it. Instead of saying "YOU suck" Or "YOU'RE garbage" Direct it at the work. Just keep in mind that people put a lot of work into poems/short stories/novels. Also, I don't know if you actually review like this, it's just what I thought about that stanza.
Anyway, the rest of the poem definitely paints the idea of you wanting to help someone better their writing, which is a really good overall message to have, and I feel that's why a lot of people came to this site, to improve.
So keep on writing, and have a great day!




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 199
Reviews: 58

Donate
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 pm
IzzyIsHappy wrote a review...



Hi it's Izzy and welcome to YWS!

I thought this poem/lyrical piece was very funny and I thought very accurate!

And some people only see the negatives, or some people only see the positives.

Personally, I read it to the Twenty One Pilot's song "Holding On To You" and I enjoyed it very much!


Keep writing! And tag me next time you do!


Izzy




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:38 am
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing. I found myself chuckling through the whole read. Very nice rhyming! The rap style fits the subject just right. So many accurate observations about some real reasons which motivate negative criticism. A real masterpiece!

Actually, there are people who predominantly review in that way. All they claim to see is negatives and justify it by saying that it is the only way a writer can improve. Some might even announce proudly that they are about to be brutally blunt.

The only part I didn't understand is the it burns for memory part.





Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
— Miles Kington