E - Everyone Language

Six word story

by sharanya

"Begin to wonder this short spell..."

- M. Sharanya

MeisterChan wrote a review...

Hey, Sharayna! Scythe here to do a quick review :)

This work was unique, I found the limited amount of words intriguing; it gave the reader a chance to let their imagination roam.

There wasn't any grammar or structure issues (especially the structure, as you can tell), therefore I will just comment on what I thought the meaning was.

I had one major interpretation of this and that was love.

At first, "wonder" gave me a different impression, it made me think of faith. To wonder is to contemplate something and I think faith was the best demonstration of that but when you wrote "short spell" it changed my thought of the meaning.

"Short Spell" can imply love; especially "spell". You know like how they say "love puts you into a spell".

The short part kind of implies heartbreak in a sense, which would make the "spell" section understandable.

Overall, my interpretation of this is someone wondering why a person has betrayed them. They question their short romance with this person.

Good Job! I liked the work :)

- ScytheMeister

sharanya says...

Thank you, ScytheMeister.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hey sharanya!! Welcome to YWS, we're happy to have you! :D

Ooooh your first work, how exciting! I'm not sure I've ever done a full review for a six word story, but there's a first for everything I suppose. I actually really like six word stories. There's something really cool and powerful about conveying a whole story that can pack some kind of emotional punch in only six words. This story didn't quite pack that punch for me. I liked the first half, and then the second half confused me.

"Begin to wonder" sets a nice mood and a nice tone. I love wondering and I love thinking about other people wondering (and it actually just took me a few minutes to write this sentence because I started wondering :p).

"This short spell" confuses me because I'm not sure what you mean. A spell like a fantasy enchantress sort of thing? A spell like a part of time (a coughing spell)? There are a lot of different definitions of spell :p

The ellipses at the end also confused me a little bit because that makes me think there's more or it's not finished and the way I think of six word short stories is that at the end of the last word they're finished.

I'm going back and forth with the quotation marks. While I like the idea of someone saying this and the mystery of who is saying this, does it have to be dialogue in order for the story to work? That's just me playing devil's advocate :p

So overall, I think it's close, but I think you could tighten it up a bit by solidifying the message you're trying to get across with the story and being more precise with some of your words in order to pack that emotional punch.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope you see you around soon with more work! :D

sharanya says...

Thank you, Carlito. May I know how to start writing poems? I am new to writing.

sheysse wrote a review...

Hey there! Shey here to review!
Where do I start? Obviously there aren't grammar errors to correct, or formatting to complain about. Its six words.
I guess I'll just talk about the meaning, and what I liked about this.
You wouldn't have written a six word story unless there was a meaning. My first thought on what this means is to question life (the "wonder" part), but the "short spell" leaves me still questioning. "Short" is oddly specific? Is it love? Love is usually described as a spell. The short indicates that love is fleeting (assuming it is talking about love), maybe because their was a recent heartbreak?
The reason I share this with you is so you see what goes through the reader's head when they read your work. While I was probably wrong with the meaning, it gave you a glimpse into my head. Knowing what the reader will think and using that to your advantage when writing is so unbelievably important.
Overall, really cool piece of literature. I would love to see more 6 word stories! Keep up the great work!
-Shey

sharanya says...

Thank you so much Sheyren. I am happy to see your review. I wrote the short spell in the sense of a period when there is a particular type of weather. And I will rectify this issue in my further works.

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers