An Unexpected Reunion

by shannonlyons

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Jack Lucas stared at the ten-digit sequence that’d been scrawled on the piece of scrap paper he held. Though he’d dialed the phone number at least five times, he couldn’t help but want to call one more time- just to be certain this was the place. Outside, a light rain was beginning to fall and it left the inside apartment with a sticky, summer residue. The walls, Jack could see, were stained by streaks of what looked to be brown water. Though he couldn’t say his apartment was much better, Jack scowled at the grimy walls and the chipping tile floor, covered in dirt and soot. A feeling of aggravation took rise within him as he checked his phone for the third time. Still no reply. Knocking on the door, Jack’s body trembled with an extreme longing. This was the address- Jack was sure of it and he knew that what Lester had said was true. This woman had almost every drug under the sun, which meant she had money-a lot of it, even if the foul smell and decaying walls seemed to say otherwise. Behind the door, she was probably sitting there rolling her fifth joint of the day or injecting another shot of heroin for all Jack knew. That little tramp. Jack had collected good money for this and he wanted whatever she had- whether he had to snort it, smoke it or infuse it into his blood, he didn’t care. That feeling of desperation was coming on again and Jack knew if he didn’t take something within the next hour, find some way to escape, he might die. Might even kill himself. With each passing second, sitting there engulfed in that hot, summer day, Jack felt himself slipping away into that place inside himself. No matter how hard he struggled to avoid reminiscing, his mind had a way of transcending him back in time, deep into the painful tribulations of his childhood. Only when he was high could he break free of these tormenting chains that tried to tie him down, tried to embroil him in the times he swore he’d never revisit.

......................................................................................................................................................

Gunfire lit up the Lucas’ living room, immediately inhabiting the air with a thick, acidic smoke. Jack watched from the hallway through fearful eyes. A shrilling scream emerged from the cloud of smoke that’d transpired and when it cleared, Jack saw his dead mother lying stilly on the family room floor, already gone, already far away from that hellish place.

Across the room, Jack saw his sister, Nadine, curled up in a tight, ball. She was screaming and pounding the ground with her fists, cursing at the man they knew as their father. Though Nadine was only nine then, born two years after her brother, something in her age changed that day and Jack saw it clearly from across the room. In that moment of gunfire, the innocence in which once made Nadine her childish self seemed to drain right from her crystal blue eyes, leaving them cold as stone- two lenses that had seen far too much for nine years of age. Mr. Lucas would go on to spend the rest of his life in jail and Jack, little did he know, would only see Nadine twice after that day, before they were separated by the decree of their foster homes and the storm that diverged their paths for what Jack thought would mean forever.

…………………………………………………………………………………………….............

The rain was falling hard now and Jack’s brain was numb with a dull headache. He wondered if he should call Lester and ask for the woman’s name, so he had something to address the so-called drug dealer by. It seemed to Jack that all this woman was dealing was his time. From inside the apartment, there was a muffled noise- something like the pat of feet. Jack stood up eagerly and knocked hard on the door. Another faint noise followed, someone was moving around on the other side of the wall and it infuriated Jack that she knew he was there and wouldn’t open the door. “You open the door, right now!” Jack’s voice resounded against the grungy, stained walls. “I’m not playing here. I’ve got a good $400 here with me today and I know damn good you’ve got what I came for. Now open the door.”

A long, taunting silence followed. Jack began to walk away, feeling worse than ever. Then there was a noise- a lock being unlatched. The apartment door swung open and Jack turned around to see the face of his sister.

Jack had thought of Nadine sometimes- where she’d ended up, who she’d married. From time to time, he’d lye in bed and make up what her life was like today. Social workers had always said she was a resilient child and she could recover from any loss but Jack knew differently. He had wanted to believe that she was out there somewhere, providing for herself and maybe even a family. He’d hoped that she’d have been able to escape the memories that Jack couldn’t seem to rid. Deep inside though, he knew that Nadine suffered. He’d saw the way that her eyes had looked that painful day those many decades ago and he remembered that feeling of helplessness when he realized he couldn’t do anything. Now, thirty years later, looking at Nadine’s tired expression and her blue eyes nearly red they were so bloodshot, Jack felt that same painful feeling.

Long moments, each seeming to surpass sixty seconds, passed before Nadine recognized who she was looking at. She was high, there was no doubt about that and though Jack largely envied that, he ran to her and lifted her in his arms, kissing the top of her greasy ponytail.

“Jack? My brother Jack?” Nadine words formed slowly and Jack could hear the confusion in her voice. He was wildly confused himself. Had he known this was his sister’s house, he may not have come- at least not for the reason being. Nadine seemed to be studying Jack as well, observing his ancient, frayed jeans and oversized sweatshirt. She did not judge though, but instead smiled- almost sweetly so and it wasn’t until then that Jack realized how much he’d missed her.

The apartment was a haven of smoke and exotic smells. It was small, consisting only of a tight living area and a bathroom. In the furthest corner, sat a twin-sized cot covered in a mass of tangled sheets. Beside the bed, a microwave was propped up on a stack of shoeboxes. Jack scanned every detail of the room, unable to believe this was a space of Nadine’s- a girl who’d once found joy in organizing her school binders or color coating Jack’s few toys. She had had an artistic eye and yet a love for order. It was hard to believe that she now lived in a place where gray was the brightest color. Jack couldn’t help but feel he’d failed somehow. He should have taken on the role of a father, not the diminished older brother. On the opposite wall, lined on a cheap, steel desk, was a row of sealed bags containing different drugs, some Jack didn’t even recognize. He felt his knees begin to shake and a metallic taste formed in his mouth. He needed something and pondered asking Nadine if he could take a hit, but something stopped him. For the first time, Jack was feeling something other than ‘gone’ and though his longing to smoke wasn’t suppressed, he felt it was important for him to stay clean for Nadine. She needed him and this time, he wasn’t going to leave her.

“I thought you’d never come. Never to see me.” Jack was panged with guilt. Nadine didn’t know that why he’d come was for the same reason all other wretched men like himself came- drugs. Jack wondered how many of them ever tried to touch her and the thought engrossed him in anger and disgust.

“Nadine, I’m not a good person,” he said. She did not answer but instead looked to the steel desk across the room. Jack saw a flash in her eyes- some kind of eagerness that Jack felt only he could relate to. He watched her make her way toward the desk and begin to unseal one of the bags. Slowly, she emptied the white powder like substance into a pipe and reached for the lighter. Watching her, Jack felt as if he was watching himself- staring into a reflection of his own life. He knew that when it was him standing there, lighting the pipe with trembling, pale hands, he would’ve felt no guilt or regret- only relief in being able to flee from this unexpected reunion. But watching Nadine, it was different. In her bloodshot eyes and knotted hair, he saw the neglect her life had granted her. In her ghostly complexion, he saw the isolation she’d created between herself and the world. And in her breath, the way it clung to the smoke that she’d inhaled, searching for something to hold on to, he saw how alone she was. This recognition immersed him in a sad agony. He ran to her and grabbing her wrist, he shook the pipe from her hands. She looked at him and for the first time, Jack could see through the drugs and the haze, to where she was hiding inside herself. Again, he threw his arms around her and once more he felt himself begin to transcend in time, returning to that day decades ago. In his arms, Nadine felt nine years old again and slowly, her sobs began to takeover. Jack held her tightly, refusing to let her go. He closed his eyes and watched the gunfire light up the room, then the smoke clear as his mother’s body fell to the ground. This time though, the memory conjured up no pain or remorse. In that moment Jack realized it wasn’t his mother who was killed that day after all, it was he and Nadine. Two bright spirits, glowing with innocence, were ceased by darkness that day and captivated by a life they didn’t deserve. Opening his eyes, Jack gazed through the window before him into the city parking lot below. The glass was blurred with teardrops of summer rain but he could see that they had washed away much of the dust and soot that had collected on the pane, creating an entry for the soft rays of light that now fell upon the apartment walls. Nadine looked up through misty eyes and turned to where Jack was looking. Standing beside one another, they watched as the purple tinted clouds slowly moved away into the distance, leaving only the radiant sun behind.

ForeverRebel wrote a review...

Hey there! Rebel here to review.

I thought this was a decent short story. It's depressing that both of the characters became involved in something serious like drugs, and I've witnessed multiple people who turn to drugs or alcohol when one of their parents die. I also found it touching that the brother saw the pain his sister was in and wanted to begin to change it. The part that I was just describing was also very realistic. Good job on that.

My main issue with this story was the structure of the story. The first section was one big cluster of a paragraph when it really could've been probably two or three. In the second section, you did a decent job with your paragraphing. The third section was half and half with the paragraphing. You could've made two paragraphs were you made only one. And the concluding paragraph I found difficult to read because it was so long.

Overall, I think you did a nice job on your short story. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my review.

Keep writing! :D

Yazi wrote a review...

Hey :) Yazi here to review as requested! I'm so sorry it took so long though, it's been a hectic week.
Shall we get to it?
Okay, I will start by saying that this is a really good story, very realistic and very touching. You made the character relatable and his back story credible.
I really liked how you used the weather to sort of relate to Jack's life, rain and darkness when he was doomed to die as a drug-addict, and the sun behind the clouds to represent the little bit of hope he saw in his future when he saw his sister again after all these years.
One thing I would want you to add though is a reason for why Jack's father might have killed their mother - this is not necessary since it has no effect on the plot and you don't have to add it if you don't want to, but I think it would be nice to know why.
As far as grammar goes there are a few typos here and there that you will undoubtedly notice when you proof read and edit the work. The paragraphs that you write are sometimes very long and you should try to divide them up when the topics of the paragraphs are no longer related - if that makes any sense.
Anyway :) I loved your story, the sequences are well written. It makes me wish that everyone that thought that hope was gone and decided to burry themselves in some chemically-induced euphoria would find a way to get out of it and get their lives together, because they don't deserve what they are going through.
I hope the review helps :D
Write on and prosper!

shannonlyons says...

Thank you! I will definitely work on dividing my paragraphs. Sometimes I forget to focus on The structure of my writing. So thank you for the advice

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:40 pm
AmethystNight wrote a review...

This is a good story with realistic characters. It's a very touching story and the reader really feels for the characters. Your description is great, with a nice use of vocabulary and sentence variations to keep the reader interested. I picked up on a few grammatical things that I have outlined below that you might want to have another look at.

tight, ball.

Unnecessary comma. You only use a comma if you use multiple adjectives.
the innocence in which once made Nadine her childish self seemed to drain right from her crystal blue eyes

This makes no sense. I think what you meant to say was perhaps 'the innocence that once made Nadine her childish self...' but the 'in which' deffinitely does not fit here.
for what Jack thought would mean forever.

I'm not sure why you've used 'mean' here. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but it sounds more like it should be 'would be forever'.
Another faint noise followed, someone was moving around on the other side of the wall and it infuriated Jack that she knew he was there and wouldn’t open the door.

A comma doesn't work here. Try using a semicolon or a hyphen instead.
He’d saw the way that her eyes

This should be 'he'd seen'.
One other thing that I think could help to polish your work is your pargraphing. Most of your paragraphs are a good size and break in a good place but your first and last paragraphs are too big. Readers tend to lose the will to read if the text doesn't break at regular intervals so you might want to break these paragraphs up a little.
All in all, this was very well written and I enjoyed it. Keep writing.

shannonlyons says...

Thank you! I will definitley fix up the grammar. I appreciate your feedback.

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina