z

Young Writers Society



Unrequited.

by sday1607


Unrequited

Bit by bit
I gave myself to you.
Three Michelin stars.
Strange menu.

First course: jellied eyes, accompanied with grilled asparagus tips.
If only you could see what I see.
But all you see
Is them looking back at me.
Untouched.

For the main: scrambled brains, with a side of garlic bread.
Drying out, crusting in the bowl.
My efforts go unnoticed -
Your ice-cold eyes bore through my soul.
Undeserved.

Dessert: sautéed heart on a plate
Served up on a silver platter, dripping with sweet blood coulee.
It doesn’t slake your appetite.
You want more.
Unrequited.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:07 pm
Demeter wrote a review...



Okay, so here I am. Actually, you have made the perfect review yourself: "The structure is a little random, but I liked it." And that's exactly what I'm going to say, too.

Bit by bit

I gave myself to you.

Three Michelin stars.

Strange menu.


This is my favourite stanza, which is good, because it's the first one. I especially liked the Michelin stars bit. Only I think there should be an "a" before the "strange menu". You know, an article? But it's basically the only nit-pick in the whole poem. So well done, mate.

Hope to see you around!
Demeter xx




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 21

Donate
Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:53 pm
sday1607 says...



Cheers everyone for the comments, nice to see that you all liked it - although any critiques are welcome! :P




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri May 30, 2008 9:16 pm
leparapluie wrote a review...



This is such a good poem!

The imagery produced is so funny. (In a good way) The "jellied eyes" and "sauteed hearts" just sound so descriptive and meaningful, as if the love from the main character is being eaten alive on a platter. It's such an apt metaphor that it becomes relatable and, yes, funny.

I especially liked the first stanza in this poem. It's such an interesting and effective introduction that allows the rest of the poem to open up and be explained. The fact that you begin wiht a standard rhyme and then change the pace can be a tricky this to pull off, but it workd well here. Good job!




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 29

Donate
Fri May 30, 2008 4:27 pm
fallenangel wrote a review...



This poem was sickeningly good.

I loved it!

I love the metaphors and comparisons, at first it caught me offguard and I had to read it again...

I really like how you've presented something that could be interpreted in different ways, and the imagery was a little disturbing, I have to be honest ;) But I believe it really got your point across, when I read it I had the impression that I've felt what you're feeling in this poem.

I think my favorite lines are your last ones, they kind of thesis your whole point and what you've felt the whole time.

I also liked the untouched, undeserved, unrequited at the end of each stanza, it gave the poem a really good rhythm.

Great job!




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 18

Donate
Fri May 30, 2008 3:18 pm
Mayfyre wrote a review...



I had to read this several times to figure out whether or not I like it, but I really do.

I think the whole concept is quite strong and even though the imagery is rather morbid, I felt touched by it.

The three "courses" worked out really well and each stanza touches on another aspect of what you are describing. Really well done.

I also like how you place

"Untouched"
"Undeserved"

and

"Unrequited" at the end of each stanza.

All in all: Really good poem!





I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom