Rewrite of Chapter 1 The Watcher

by scasha

Chapter One

The red carpet was soft beneath her bare feet as Adelaide traversed the hall. Although she had trekked down this corridor thousands of times in her life, this time was different. Something was alive inside her. Her heartbeat resounded in her ears. Anxiety, an emotion quite uncommon for her, raced through her veins.

“Adelaide, you’ve got five minutes. We can only hold the offense for so long,” a harsh male voice echoed inside her head.

Adelaide nodded, breaking the connection. She was about to turn the corner when a tremor ran through her leg. It took her a moment to realize that the floor was shaking. Adrenaline surged through her blood, and she moved her legs to run when the ground gave out beneath her. Adelaide grasped at air as she plummeted down into darkness. Pain vibrated through her legs as she smashed into the hard ground.

A voice spoke through the darkness, “Hello, princess.”

“Who are you?” Adelaide asked, her voice saturated with fear.

“You’ll never know,” it replied. A hand struck her across her face before she could respond. Shocked, Adelaide collapsed to the floor, the taste of blood filling her mouth. She touched her cheek with shaky hands, feeling the five long cuts that now bled onto her pale skin. Her heart pounded harder in her mind, like the heart of a hummingbird, buzzing, refusing to still.

“Your powers are mine,” the voice said, and a splitting pain erupted in Adelaide’s mind. Fire settled into every crevice of her being, consuming her soul and her body from the inside out.

Adelaide screamed in agony, twisting away from the voice. She pushed against the wall, looking for an escape, but there was none. The pressure became unbearable and she continued to cry out for help. Her voice rebounded back to her, a pitiful plea for life, for mercy. The fire became more intense, her eyes no longer able to focus. Just as the pain was hitting a crescendo, her world receded into darkness.

Adelaide awoke, her forehead soaked with sweat. She looked around, her lungs gasping for air. Her muscles were tensed, ready to run. Calmness slowly returned to her body as she recognized her surroundings. The goose-feather blanket of her bed had tangled itself around her legs. She felt her face, but her skin was still smooth without a speck of blood. It was just a dream, she tried to reassure herself. She reached under her pillow and pulled out a journal.

She opened the black-bound book to a blank page and grabbed a quill pen from the side of her bed. She dabbed the pen with ink and began writing furiously.

“Dream Entry Number 21: Same dream, same images that I’ve been having for the past week.” Adelaide paused, placing a hand on her heart, trying to calm herself down. “This time, though, I actually felt the pain. I tasted my blood. It was different, more real. I have no idea what’s going on, who’s after me.” Her hands shook as she wrote the last line. Ever since she was young, the schooling scribes of the palace had taught her the importance of dreams. But the same dream repeated so many times was a little much. She shivered and continued, “I hope I find out soon.”

She was about to go on when the knob on her door turned. She stuffed the book back under her covers and opened her eyes just enough so she could make out the figure coming her way.

A tall girl with bright red, wavy hair entered the room. Adelaide breathed a sigh of relief. These dreams just make me more afraid, she said to herself, rolling onto her side.

“Princess Adelaide,” the girl said, coming over to the bed. “Time to get up.”

“Good morning, Anne,” Adelaide said, pushing herself into a sitting position.

Anne smiled. “You’ve got a full day in front of you, my lady. No time to waste. Martha’s waiting for you downstairs.”

Adelaide returned her smile, looking straight into Anne’s green eyes. “Just give me a few more moments. I don’t want to get up yet. And anyway, I always have to make sure I’m late. It’s my signature move.”

Anne rolled her eyes, “Late or not, it’s time to get dressed.” She strode over to the windows and pulled open the curtains. Adelaide squinted against the bright sunlight. She flopped back into her pillows. I would take nightmares over any day in the palace, she thought to herself as Anne tugged her out of bed.

***

“Martha, stick me with that pin one more time and I’ll make sure you never dress me again,” Adelaide snapped at a wizened old woman standing behind her. Her behind was already sore from the number of times that the woman had stuck her with the sharp object. The seamstress shot her a frustrated look and then returned to her sewing, squinting as she wove the needle through the fabric.

“Well, if you kept still for once, your Highness,” Martha mumbled to her jumpy client, “I would be able to see where I be putting it.”

Adelaide sighed, rolling her grey eyes toward the ceiling. She never had the patience to stand still for more than a few minutes. The old woman grunted as she pushed the needle through the tent of material that enveloped the girl. Another sharp pinch bit into her side and she winced. She had to prick me once more in that same spot, didn’t she, Adelaide thought bitterly. An unchecked anger surged through the princess’s veins, coupled with a buzz of excitement. Martha cried out in pain. Startled, Adelaide spun around.

Martha held up her index finger, blood oozing slowly from a prick at the tip. “What-? How-?” the seamstress sputtered, grabbing a strip of white material from her basket and wrapping it around the wound.

A shiver went up the base of Adelaide’s spine and she shook it off. I had nothing to do with that, she reassured herself, but her hands shook under the material. This happened a lot, these accidents, but Adelaide tried to convince herself that they were just that - accidents.

Once Marsha had dressed the cut, she lifted the cloth over the princess’s head.

“Thank goodness that’s over,” Adelaide replied, dusting off her lacy petticoats. She shook her unruly curls away from her face and gave Martha a withering look.

“Your eyes don’t frighten me anymore,” Martha said, shaking her head. Adelaide sniffed, looking away.

Mumbling to herself, the old granny stood up, her arthritic joints creaking, “Someone ought to teach her to mind her manners.” Adelaide ignored her comment and signaled for Anne to step forward. The redhead walked over, her eyes focusing on the floor at her superior’s feet.

“Anne, take me to the queen,” she ordered. Anne nodded, leading the princess out of the seamstress’s room and into a stony-walled hallway. It was out of the question for servants to even look royalty in the eye. It was an offense that could get anyone thrown into the dungeon. But Adelaide was always able to skirt by the rules and she was one of few royalty who talked to servants as friends, if only in private. She always had to be careful to obey palace customs in public. You never know who is watching, she thought to herself as the pair made their way down the hall.

Anne stepped forward and knocked on the frame of the door. It creaked open, allowing a sliver of light to fall on the pair. Without a word, an elderly man beckoned them inside. The sunlight streaming in from the wide open windows blinded Adelaide and she squinted in the brightness. A solitary ache inside her pulled her towards the light, but she wasted little time contemplating the sensation. She was hardly ever allowed outside. She padded across the marble floor, dismissing Anne at the same time with a wave of her hand. At the center of the room, she stopped and knelt on her knees, her skirt fanning out around her with a whisper of crinkling satin. She bent her head down towards the floor, her pale eyelids coming down over her eyes, contrasting with the circles that had formed beneath them.

“Francois,” a commanding voice ordered from the far side of the room. “Leave us.” The butler bowed and, without a word, slipped out of the room.

The thump of a cane and the clicking of high heeled shoes were the only sounds the girl could hear, approaching her with an even-measured step. Two stilettos stopped inches in front of the girl’s knees, and she raised her eyes. A tall, thin woman with a sharp chin stood above her. Adelaide noticed that there was a small imprint of a heart on the left arm of the woman’s dress. That’s as big as her heart will ever be, the princess thought grimly, her lips pressed together in a thin line. It’s quite ironic that she wears it on her sleeve.

A golden crown, identical to the one Adelaide was wearing, sat upon the woman’s black hair. The woman extended her left hand, and Adelaide took it and kissed the black mica ring on her index finger. With a smirk, the woman withdrew her hand and turned around. Adelaide rose, making sure not to fumble with her gown, and followed the woman, bowing her head towards the floor. Servants must get so bored of this terribly drab-looking marble, Adelaide thought to herself. I would never be able to look at the floor for hours every day. The woman walked over to a plush chair and sat down.

“You may sit, Adelaide,” she motioned to the wooden chair across from her.

“Thank you, your Majesty,” Adelaide replied as she bent into a deep curtsy.

The queen drummed her fingers on the arms of her chair as she looked Adelaide up and down. She raised an eyebrow in the girl’s direction and cleared her throat before she began. “Your father and I have spoken of what to do with you, my dear stepdaughter, and I believe we have found the perfect solution. Your father wishes for you to marry before he dies.” She dabbed the corners of her eyes with a handkerchief before she continued. “And the physician says he does not have much longer to live. The disease has utterly destroyed his body.”

Adelaide’s eyebrows creased with worry for a moment before she quickly composed herself. I will show this woman no weakness, she thought, sitting as tall as her short height would allow.

“We have decided for you to marry Prince Edgar of Mariquit. The negotiations are taking place as we speak. He and his party are due for arrival in a month hence,” the queen continued.

Adelaide winced. Mariquit was a war-ridden kingdom a bit beyond Magnifica’s borders. It was rumored that Prince Edgar was an incompetent oaf who participated in the Forbidden Trade. He was known for his unfaithfulness, having at least two previous wives and many mistresses. He was also 20 years older than her. So that’s her diabolical plan, Adelaide thought to herself, she wants me to die a dishonored wife to a man-whore. I could not have expected any more than that. I will not marry him, no, I will never marry, she nodded in the queen’s direction.

“As you wish, your Highness,” Adelaide said as meekly as she could muster, quelling her gag reflux for the moment.

The queen looked satisfied, “That is all.” She dismissed Adelaide with the wave of her hand.

Adelaide nodded and curtsied then strode towards the exit. Francois opened the door with a brisk pull from the outside and stepped aside to allow her to pass under the arch. Anne had been waiting in the hall and snapped to attention as Adelaide marched past her. The princess’s face was still calm and collected.

“Where am I to escort you, Princess Adelaide?” Anne asked.

“My father,” she said, continuing her journey down the hall.

Anne looked from side to side, before whispering, “But I’ve been told explicitly that only the physician and Queen Victoria are allowed to see him.”

Adelaide stopped in mid-stride. Her steely eyes flashed with an anger that her calm voice did not betray. “How could someone do that?” she hissed, and Anne shrugged, keeping her gaze fixed on the floor. The pair continued down the hallway, neither looking at the other. Adelaide was positively boiling beneath her composed surface. It’s my father. Blood ties us together, much stronger than anything in the world, she thought.

Curiosity replaced the hate that had enveloped the princess’s eyes. “By whom were you thus informed?” she asked as they turned a corner.

“The queen,” Anne replied, struggling to keep up with Adelaide’s long strides.

Adelaide swore under her breath. “That witch,” she murmured. “Let’s return to my apartments so we can speak in private.”

Anne nodded and glanced up at the princess. Their eyes met for a moment and Adelaide’s gaze softened, a thin smile flashing across her lips. They walked up a spiraling staircase which ended in a gold-emblazoned door.

“Anne,” Adelaide said. The redhead hurried forward and reached into her white bodice, pulling out a cloth pouch. She unknotted the drawstring and pried it open. She withdrew a heavy key from the purse. It was old-fashioned, but its polished shine caught the candlelight.

Anne placed the tip of it on the imprint of a heart that had been stamped into the door. The door blazed orange and a clicking sound erupted from the bottom left-hand corner of the portal. A metal plate extended out of the door containing a keyhole into which Anne inserted the key. Next to it was a small, round disc. Anne reached into the woolen pocket of her brown skirt and uncorked a vial half-full of dark red liquid. She let one drop fall onto the dish before tapping the plate with her index finger. The disc spun in a circle, swirling the red liquid into the shape of a heart. The original golden heart on the door glowed red and with a pop, the latch clicked and the door swung open.

Anne replaced both the vial and key to their original places among her clothes and allowed the princess to pass. Adelaide sank into a dark green chair that was in front of a magnificent fireplace. The door closed behind them, the lock clicking back into place.

Adelaide handed Anne a pair of her slippers that needed mending and Anne took her place beside the blazing fire. Anne was known for her stitching and now she weaved the thread in and out of the fabric, closing up a large hole at the toe of the shoe.

“Why do you think she’s making me marry that odious man?” Adelaide asked, closing her eyes.

Anne shrugged, continuing her sewing. “Does she need a reason?”

Adelaide shook her head. “I don’t know anymore. I really don’t. Ever since the king’s been ill, everything’s been going downhill.”

Anne paused, “Well, maybe she’s afraid that you may have more power than her. By marrying you off to a war-ridden kingdom, she’ll be in full control.”

Adelaide’s heart sank. “Yes, that’s probably what it is,” she said, tears welling up in her eyes as the gravity of her arranged marriage struck her. Of all people, places and times, I have to be here under some of the worst circumstances. She bemoaned her fate.

Anne tried to comfort the poor girl. “We still have a month. We’ll figure something out,” she said.

Adelaide shook her head, leaning back into the cushions. It’s hopeless, she thought, rivulets of tears leaking from her eyes.

Anne stopped her mending, glancing up at the princess. Adelaide was very small for her age. Fragile, with bones as thin as a baby bird, the king had once said. Her height often caused her to be mistaken for a ten-year old while she was nearing eighteen. The people of Magnifica called her pale, narrow face beautiful, her golden hair perfect, and her big grey eyes stunning. However, like many other servants and townsfolk, Anne found her looks haunting, especially her eyes. Adelaide’s gaunt flesh and piercing gaze along with her peculiar behavior caused Anne to shiver. Any man that would marry the princess would sure be in for a lot of surprises, she thought. But she kept her thoughts to herself.

“Now, open the windows and let some light in. Lack of fresh air is making me dizzy,” Adelaide murmured, wiping her eyes.

Anne opened her mouth again, but thought better of it and began scurrying to open the shutters.

She took a deep breath as the dim sunlight spilled into her room. The drumming that had been carrying on inside her head dulled and her face broke into the slightest of smiles. She eased herself out of her chair and approached the open window. She placed her hands on the sill and closed her eyes, letting the frigid breeze toss her hair away from her face. Winter in Magnifica is absolutely stunning, she thought. The red-gold rays of the sun bounced off the icicles that hung from the trees and reflected off the frozen, snow-covered ground. She could see the small wooden and clay houses of the villagers, their roofs covered with a thick white icing of snowflakes. She could see everything from her tower.

Anne shuffled behind her. “It’s quite cold, your Majesty, and it would be terrible for you to get the chills,” she said.

Adelaide turned around, her happiness disintegrating, about to return to the fire to find that Anne held a large goose-feathered comforter in her arms. In that moment, Adelaide saw a trace of pity in the servant girl’s eyes, but quickly looked away. I need no such pity, she thought, as jealousy knotted her stomach. Anne is lucky she’ll never have to go through this. She accepted the blanket, a smile crinkling her grey eyes. The quilt warmed her thin shoulders, and she continued to look out at the setting sun.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:20 am
Avens Dolor wrote a review...

Chapter One

“Adelaide, you’ve got five minutes. We can only hold the offense for so long,” a harsh male voice echoed inside her head. Move the descriptor to the start of th dialog.
“Who are you?” Adelaide asked, her voice saturated with fear. Saturated is a bad word choice to use with dialog and obviously she's asking a question as there is a question mark. Give your readers a little credit.
Adelaide screamed in agony, twisting away from the voice. She pushed against the wall, looking for an escape, but there was none. The pressure became unbearable and she continued to cry out for help. Her voice rebounded back to her, a pitiful plea for life, for mercy. The fire became more intense, her eyes no longer able to focus. Just as the pain was hitting a crescendo For some reason, I don't like the combination of "hitting" and crescendo, but that's purely me being weird. I'd probably change it to "striking" or something else., her world receded into darkness.
Adelaide awoke, her forehead soaked with sweat. She looked around, her lungs gasping for air. Her muscles were tensed, ready to run. Calmness slowly returned to her body as she recognized her surroundings. The goose-feather blanket of her bed had tangled itself around her legs. She felt her face, but her skin was still smooth without a speck of blood. It was just a dream, she tried to reassure herself. She reached under her pillow and pulled out a journal. I'm torn. This was pretty well written, but still obviously a dream from the get-go, and dream openers are getting pretty cliche at this point. You might want to rethink it.
Anne rolled her eyes A pretty forward move for a palace servant. You'd better qualify it soon. Is Anne close enough to be considered a good friend or what?, “Late or not, it’s time to get dressed.” She strode over to the windows and pulled open the curtains. Adelaide squinted against the bright sunlight. She flopped back into her pillows. I would take nightmares over any day in the palace, she thought to herself as Anne tugged her out of bed.

***

A shiver went up the base of Adelaide’s spine and she shook it off. I had nothing to do with that, she reassured herself, but her hands shook under the material. This happened a lot, these accidents, but Adelaide tried to convince herself that they were just that - accidents. Obviously, it's not an accident. Try to disguise it a little better. Don't have her point out the fact that it must be an accident. Instead, show her gut reaction--she feels badly. She feels smug. She doesn't care. Show us how she would feel if she really believed that it was an accident.

“Your eyes don’t frighten me anymore,” Martha said, shaking her head. Adelaide sniffed, looking away. Uh... Well, they should. The princess could have you fired at the very least.

“Anne, take me to the queen,” she ordered. Anne nodded, leading the princess out of the seamstress’s room and into a stony-walled hallway. It was out of the question for servants to even look royalty in the eye. It was an offense that could get anyone thrown into the dungeon. But Adelaide was always able to skirt by the rules and she was one of few royalty who talked to servants as friends, if only in private. She always had to be careful to obey palace customs in public. You never know who is watching, she thought to herself as the pair made their way down the hall. A little random. I had to go back and check to see where the sermon stemmed from. Is she in public now? Why would Anne be so formal when the seamstress was just being so informal two seconds ago?

The thump of a cane and the clicking of high heeled shoes were the only sounds the girl could hear, approaching her with an even-measured step. Two stilettos stopped inches in front of the girl’s knees, and she raised her eyes. A tall, thin woman with a sharp chin stood above her. Adelaide noticed that there was a small imprint of a heart on the left arm of the woman’s dress. That’s as big as her heart will ever be, the princess thought grimly, her lips pressed together in a thin line. It’s quite ironic that she wears it on her sleeve. Don't point out the irony. Irony and cleverness is always best left for the reader to discover.

A golden crown, identical to the one Adelaide was wearing, sat upon the woman’s black hair. I suspect the queen would have a bigger crown than the young princess. The woman extended her left hand, and Adelaide took it and kissed the black mica ring on her index finger. With a smirk, the woman withdrew her hand and turned around. Adelaide rose, making sure not to fumble with her gown, and followed the woman, bowing her head towards the floor. Servants must get so bored of this terribly drab-looking marble, Adelaide thought to herself. I would never be able to look at the floor for hours every day. The woman walked over to a plush chair and sat down.

Adelaide’s eyebrows creased with worry for a moment before she quickly composed herself. I will show this woman no weakness, she thought, sitting as tall as her short height would allow. Just say "height". The fact that she's straining to sit tall suggests that she is, in fact, short.

Adelaide winced. Mariquit was a war-ridden kingdom a bit beyond Magnifica’s bordersNot fond of that last name. . It was rumored that Prince Edgar was an incompetent oaf who participated in the Forbidden Trade. He was known for his unfaithfulness, having at least two previous wives and many mistresses. He was also 20 years older than her. So that’s her diabolical plan, Adelaide thought to herself, she wants me to die a dishonored wife to a man-whore I don't think that unfaithful men, especially in this period, would be considered "whores", but perhaps this is just Adelaide's quirky and very modern personality?. I could not have expected any more than that. I will not marry him, no, I will never marry, she nodded in the queen’s direction.

“As you wish, your Highness,” Adelaide said as meekly as she could muster, quelling her gag reflux "reflex" for the moment.

Adelaide stopped in mid-stride. Her steely eyes flashed with an anger that her calm voice did not betray. “How could someone do that?” she hissed, and Anne shrugged For someone trying to be extremely formal, Anne is stupid to shrug at a princess., keeping her gaze fixed on the floor. The pair continued down the hallway, neither looking at the other. Adelaide was positively boiling beneath her composed surface. It’s my father. Blood ties us together, much stronger than anything in the world, she thought.

Anne placed the tip of it on the imprint of a heart that had been stamped into the door. The door blazed orange and a clicking sound erupted from the bottom left-hand corner of the portal. A metal plate extended out of the door containing a keyhole into which Anne inserted the key. Next to it was a small, round disc. Anne reached into the woolen pocket of her brown skirt and uncorked a vial half-full of dark red liquid. She let one drop fall onto the dish before tapping the plate with her index finger. The disc spun in a circle, swirling the red liquid into the shape of a heart. The original golden heart on the door glowed red and with a pop, the latch clicked and the door swung open. Unnecessarily complicated...

Anne replaced both the vial and key to "in" their original places among her clothes and allowed the princess to pass. Adelaide sank into a dark green chair that was in front of a magnificent fireplace. The door closed behind them, the lock clicking back into place.

Adelaide handed Anne a pair of her slippers that needed mending and Anne took her place beside the blazing fire. Anne was known for her stitching and now she weaved the thread in and out of the fabric, closing up a large hole at the toe of the shoe. Is there a depression in the kingdom? I doubt that princesses wear holey shoes. Queen Elizabeth just got commendations for agreeing to rework once-used dresses in the interest of environmental protection or some such thing.

Adelaide shook her head. “I don’t know anymore. I really don’t. Ever since the king’s been ill, everything’s been going downhill.” What an unfortunate rhyme.

Anne paused, “Well, maybe she’s afraid that you may have more power than her. By marrying you off to a war-ridden kingdom, she’ll be in full control.” Why would she be worried?

Adelaide shook her head, leaning back into the cushions. It’s hopeless, she thought, rivulets of tears leaking from her eyes. She's whining too much. It's annoying.

Anne stopped her mending, glancing up at the princess. Adelaide was very small for her age. Fragile, with bones as thin as a baby bird, the king had once said. Her height often caused her to be mistaken for a ten-year old while she was nearing eighteen. Now that's just sad. The people of Magnifica called her pale, narrow face beautiful, Took a few readings for me to get the cadence of that line correctly. It's a bit confusing. her golden hair perfect, and her big grey eyes stunning. However, like many other servants and townsfolk, Anne found her looks haunting, especially her eyes. Adelaide’s gaunt flesh and piercing gaze along with her peculiar behavior caused Anne to shiver. Any man that would marry the princess would sure be in for a lot of surprises, she thought. But she kept her thoughts to herself.

The whole princess-is-sadder-and-more-jilted-than-her-poor-servant bit is pretty old, so I would consider revising that. Anne could turn into an interesting character, though. I have more feeling for her than for Adelaide. A pretty good start, though. You've introduced the action early on. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thu May 08, 2008 11:33 pm
sylverdawn wrote a review...

i'm confused about who the main character is here, Anne or Adelaide. The two seem like they could be friends if their stations weren't so far apart. I get that Adelaide has a power she can't control and is barely aware of, but what does the first part have to do with the second.

A suggestion, if your want to wright a prologue of this take the nightmares and make that into the prologue. It will give a better grasp on the story, and intrigue the reader, which is what prologues are supposed to do.

Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 am
budding writer wrote a review...

wow :shock: :: , i mean you are a really good writer. though i would say a few things,
- it would help if you could describe the main characters a little, espcially adalaide
:?: - i thought that adalaide wanted to visit her father and if she really didn't like her stepmother then why would she give up so easily when anne told her what the queen said ?
- in the begginning of the story, anne seems a little 'jumpy' and suddenly after seeing the queen she feels tired and muddled ?
last of all, i was wondering in the diary , she writes that she feels scared and an endless nightmare so why did she feel amused when she knew she did 'those things' ?

the rest of the story was great and i know i couldn't write like that since i just started writing now(i am 13). i am looking forward to seeing the rest of the story and i am hoping you get this published. by the way , i totally agree with the name magnifica. hey it's your world ! 8)

feel free to pm me and pleeese tell me when the next chapter is going out. :

Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 am
AWritersFantasy wrote a review...

A lot of this is probably stuff that's already been said, but I'm saying it for just in case. Over all, this story is very interesting. I think one of your strongest points is your ability for description. You also seem to have this pretty planned out, which is cool. I liked the tension between the queen and princess, too, when the queen told her she had to get married.

I am definitely looking forward to reading more of it. :D

The wind stopped, settling on a single page.

I would suggest putting a space between paragraphs here so that it's not really one HUGE block of text.
The writing was furious; ink had dripped across the page in the author’s haste. It read, “I had another nightmare, exactly like I’ve been having for the past weeks. Not a regular one where you know you’re sleeping, when you know you’ll wake up and it will be just another bad dream. It’s the kind that you’re trapped in; the ones where you know you can’t get out of even if you do wake up. I don’t understand it. I’m afraid to sleep, I’m even afraid of myself sometimes. Whenever the light goes out in my room and that terrible wind rips through the trees outside my window I know I’m helpless. Not only the nightmares keep me awake. It’s the ghostly blue light that fills the room when I open my eyes after waking up from my dreams. I don’t know what’s happening to me. Nothing seems to make sense. Everyone is afraid of me. All I do know is that something terrible is about to happen, something I can’t control and that I need to stop it. I just don’t know how.”

Hmm. This is debatable, because you -can- get away with having a huge block of dialogue like this...but on the other hand, I would suggest breaking it up. Find a place to cut the dialogue off, add some bit of information, and then break it into another paragraph of dialogue. But, maybe I'm wrong to suggest this, I'm not entirely sure.

The servant, known as Anne

You already mentioned her name above, so I think you could get away with just saying "the servant," and the reader would know that it's Anne that's being talked about.

She felt a solitary ache inside her heart, but she wasted little time contemplating the sensation

Missing a period there.

“Francois,” a commanding voice ordered from the far side of the room, “leave us.” The butler bowed and without a word, slipped out of the room.

I would suggest putting a period after "room" and capitalizing "leave."

The red-head threw herself at Adelaide’s feet, tears trickling down her face,

Her height often got her mistaken for a ten-year old while she was nearing 18.

The wording is a little strange here. Try something like:

Her height had often gotten her mistaken for a ten year old when she was nearing eighteen.

Also, in this sentence, but perhaps in others, you switch from writing out the word for a number to just writing it in numeric form. It's best to stick to one or the other, though preferably the actual word.

Tue May 06, 2008 12:19 am
scasha says...

Thanks so much everyone! I'll definitley check out your suggestions and fix the whole confusing pronoun thing. I'll introduce her name at the beginning so it isn't so confusing :D

lxtmidnight wrote a review...

I enjoyed this, except one part did confuse me a little...I think someone else might have said it already but I'm not sure:

"The girl sighed, rolling her steel grey eyes toward the cathedral ceiling. The old woman grunted as she pushed the sharp wooden tool with golden thread through the tent of material that enveloped the petite girl. She had had enough of the woman’s incompetence. An unchecked anger surged through her veins coupled with a thrilling excitement. The woman cried out in pain and surprised, the girl turned around"

The use of the words "girl" and "woman" are very confusing. The girl should be referred to as the "girl" and the woman should be referred to as the "woman" at all times, so that the slow people like me can understand easily XD

melanie21 wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this piece, enough in fact that I forgot I was trying to critique it. The charachters have existed before but with enough variations it's still different enough. You may not need to say the part at the end where it mentions the difficulties of being mean when all one wants to be is nice but I got that message from the story and were you to make it a bit stronger there wouldn't be a need to come out and say that since it'd already be conveyed. Just quick thoughts, I'd love to see what else you have and I'll critique in more detail later.

Amira15 says...

Well everyones said it already so I wont burden you and repeat it.
First off welcome to YWS!

Well the beginning was very intriguing. I can see your talented at creative writing. I'll be looking for the other chapters.

Mon May 05, 2008 12:00 am
Moving Forward wrote a review...

It was one of those breezes, the kind that raises the hairs on your arms.

This sounds choppy to me. Try, It was one of those breezes that raise the hair on your arms, that make a cold shiver silde down your spine.

A single candle, lit on a dresser,winked in the wind, but did not go out.

Without the comma, it seems like the dresser winked.

The way it's written, it appears that the wind settled on a single page. Try: The wind stopped, and the book was left open to a single page.

, exactly like I’ve been having for the past weeks. Not a regular one where you know you’re sleeping, when you know you’ll wake up and it will be just another bad dream. It’s the kind that you’re trapped in; the ones where you know you can’t get out of even if you do wake up.

It seems like the writer is someone who confides in her diary frequently. Why, then, would she have a horrible nightmare for weeks, and not describe what it was like until after it has been occurring for several weeks. What I'm saying, is, it doesn't make sense that she describes the dream in such an explaining way after it has already been happening for a while.

The old woman grunted as she pushed the sharp wooden tool with golden thread through the tent of material that enveloped the petite girl. She had had enough of the woman’s incompetence.

You need to clarify that by 'she', you mean the girl, not the woman.

“Thank goodness,” the girl replied

What was she thankful for? Be sure to clarify things.

Someone aught to teach that girl

"Aught" means no. "Ought" is the word you are looking for here.

She then pinned a silver tiara amid the girl’s curls.
“Anne, take me to the queen,” she ordered.

It's very confusing to use 'she' twice in a row, without specifying who it refers to. Unless the servant is ordering to see the queen, you should say the speaker's name.

The servant, known as Anne,

You've already pointed out by showing that the first servant's name was Anne.

By this point, you've introduced two (seemingly) minor characters by name, but we still don't even know the name of the girl they are serving. It would help us connect to the unknown-person if we at least knew her name.

The first girl nodded meekly, keeping her eyes trained on the floor as she led the girl out of the seamstress’s room and into a stony-walled hallway. The girl felt the scratchy fabric brushing against her legs, making her itchy. The two girls hurried across the red-carpeted walkway, the girl’s slippers so soft that they barley made a sound.

This sentence seems out-of-place. It makes the reader wonder "Where did that come from?" and again, several times in this paragraph it is confusing who you are referring to. You never mentioned Anne's clothes, yet you were talking about her before you said 'the girl felt...'.

The sunlight streaming in from the wide open windows blinded the girl and she squinted in the brightness. She felt a solitary ache inside her heart, but she wasted little time contemplating the sensation She was hardly ever allowed outside; the sunlight teasing her with its faux warmth. She padded across the red marble floor, dismissing Anne at the same time with a wave of her hand.

I really thought that you were talking about Anne until you said that she dismissed Anne.

she stopped and knelt daintily on her knees, her pale blue skirt fanning out around her with a whisper of crinkling satin.

In the scene with the seamstress, Martha was sewing on a red dress. Why now is she wearing blue?

She extended her left hand, the one not holding a golden scepter

The girl (You still haven't revealed her name at this point) heard the thumping of a cane. Now you say a scepter. In some people's minds, a scepter and a cane are very different things; if in this case they are, shouldn't the other hand be holding a cane? If you are assuming that a scepter and a cane are the same thing, ignore this.

Anne replaced both the vial and key to their original places among her clothes and hastened into the room. Adelaide followed close behind

I'm going to assume Adelaide is a princess. Logically, though you haven't made clear a custom on this, wouldn't a princess enter before a servant?

Her green eyes were trained on the floor.

Now, she looks away. Before though, she stared at the Princess's face. Why the change?

Adelaide nodded and handed over her blanket to her servant.

Adelaide wasn't holding a blanket; Anne was.

It is always very hard to keep up a façade of being so terrible when all you want to do is be nice, she thought.

Could you explain more about this statement? It doesn't seem like Adelaide was trying to be nice; it seemed like she had to try hard to avoid scolding her maid. This sentence is a bit of a contradiction to the rest of the story.

It looks like you have a good start here. The character of Anne is suffiently developed, but of course I would like to know more about Adelaide. I think you characterized the queen well-enough but you didn't show why Adelaide disliked her so much and thought so little of her. Good work!

zankoku_na_tenshi wrote a review...

Hey there! Haven't seen you around before, so welcome to YWS!

This is a really good start, I very much enjoyed it. The bit at the beginning really pulled me into the story, and I really liked the foreshadowing that was threaded throughout. I also liked how easily we could start to feel Adelaide's emotions and how you helped us learn about her character through her thoughts and actions, rather than telling us what she's like. Your descriptions were really great as well, I felt very much like I could see the world you were describing. There was some really lovely imagery, particularly in the bit where you were describing Adelaide's appearance.

One note on that though: although your sensory description was beautiful, sometimes I feel like there was a little bit too much of it, particularly when you were describing color. Does it really matter to the story whether or not the basin was white? Although it helps your reader see the world better, sometimes too much description really has the opposite effect. The reader can't remember all the colors you throw at them, so they just kinda make something else up in their head, and it becomes almost annoying to them to be told that something is a certain color when their subconscious insists it's not. I hope I'm making some sense here... XD I guess what I'm saying is that you can leave a lot of the adjectives, but you might want to take out a few, as well. Don't worry, too much description is an easy, easy pitfall to stumble into, I'm guilty of it myself. Some of my infodumps for introducing a main character are just... frightening to behold. XD

Uh... let's see now, how about some actual, specific critiques...

“Well, if you kept still for once, your Highness,” Martha mumbled to the jumpy 17 year-old, “I would be able to see where I be putting it.”

Nitpick time! I think it's a little unnecessary to tell us she's seventeen here, especially because later on, the fact that she's nearing eighteen is worked into the narration much more smoothly. But if you decide to keep it, you should probably write out the word, rather than putting the number.

The girl sighed, rolling her steel grey eyes toward the cathedral ceiling.

Back up a second... she's trying on her new clothes in a church? I'm no expert, but I believe most churches would frown upon that sort of thing. ;) Maybe you meant the ceiling looked like one in a cathedral?

“Someone aught to teach that girl to mind her manners.”

Well, hi, commonly confused words! I think you meant "ought," because I'm pretty sure "aught" with an "a" means "zero" or "nothing."

The girl felt the scratchy fabric brushing against her legs, making her itchy. The two girls hurried across the red-carpeted walkway, the girl’s slippers so soft that they barley made a sound.

I think you used "girl" a little too much in these sentences.

The queen looked satisfied, “Then I suggest you go prepare yourself for Prince Edgar’s arrival.”

Now? I thought you said this guy wasn't gonna get there for a month.

I also think you might want to introduce Adelaide's name a bit earlier, just because always using the word "girl" got a bit confusing.

In any case, brilliant start. ^_^ This story shows a ton of promise, and I'd have to say, I'm hooked. I'd very much like to read more, if you care to write it. PM me if you post the next chapter, okay? ^_^

bear says...

With the step mother, it all comes down to what works best for your story. If having her as the step mother works best, for character and plot purposes, then keep it. If you have reasons for things (as long as they are reasonable reasons) and it works, then fine. Why not? If it makes more sense for her to be the mother, then change it.

It seems to me like you have a very interesting world with a possible culture budding. Always a plus!

scasha says...

Thanks so much for all the help!

bear and Jaliayh-- about the anger thing, she has to pretend that she doesn't associate with the common folk and must look down on them, (it's a law in magnifica) but if you think I shouldn't include that let me know.

I chose the name Magnifica just by saying I wish I could create a magnificent place and since most countries in Fantasy Worlds are created by combining or shortening existing world thats what I did with the word Magnificent.

The nightmares and such I explain in a following chapter. I'll also beware of the cliches. i've been warned about the stepmother thing but that eventually gets taken care of in the other chapters. However, just a quick question do you think that maybe I should have the stepmother actually be her mother?

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'll take a look at all of your helpful suggestions :-)

Jaliayh101 wrote a review...

i really like your story it is very infomative

other stories i write don't give you a lot of explaining

but through your whole story i completely understood

for example when a cold shiver slid down your vine

it remains me a ghost or something taking over your body

but i totally agree with the other replier why does she pretend

to be harsh and mean?

is it because she wants to impress her stepmother

or does her stepmother get on her nerves or something

besides that i think the story was magnificent

oh and your welcome (lol)

bear wrote a review...

In general, I liked it. But there are a few things I want to point out in the line of cliches, and so with this critique there comes a disclaimer.

*Any truly original story idea can be butchered beyond belief, and any cliche can be woven into a truly beautiful piece of writing.

Now, what did I think approached cliche? Well, the evil stepmother, and the fact that Adelaide decided immediately that she wasn't going to marry this man. (Though to her credit she did know about his reputation as a Ladies' Man.) Of course, if you see the disclaimer, it might not be a problem, but make sure your characters stay themselves. This might be what your looking for, though, if you want this to feel more like a fairy tale.

It makes a cold shiver slide down your spine.

Nice line, but it seemed a little awkward at first. I don't have any suggestions for it: I don't think there's anything you can do for initial awkwardness.

The diary entry: I felt that towards the end it rambled. She was talking about the nightmares at one moment, and then how everyone was scared of her, and then to how something bad was going to happen. Is that related to the nightmares? (I assume so.) Does she feel lonely? All things to build on. If she feels lonely, and you build on that, then brownie points to you. It'll make your character seem deeper.

Still on character - why does your character pretend to be harsh when she doesn't want to? Is it about her step mother? Just something to think about.

On names:

Why is the country called Magnifica? Any reason? It seems sort of out of sorts. Even if you don't answer any of the questions I've asked in your story (about Magnifica, if you have a reason, you most certainly don't have to have it in there, as that would distract from the plot), but it's still good to know these things.

I've also noticed that just about everyone in the world who is named Anne has red hair. it isn't just fiction, either. It's a fact of life - people name redheads Anne. (I have red hair!) I just think it's funny.

But while we're talking about Anne, I noticed that you refer to her a lot as the 'red-head.' While this isn't a problem, I noticed it most when you referred to her as that two times close together. You also referred to her as 'the girl' a few times close together. It's okay to use her name. Shaking it up never hurts, but don't shake it up too much.

I liked how you kept your descriptions of characters shorter than other fantasy writers. I'm not a fan of exposition.

As I said above, I like it so far. If I get to critiquing later chapters, hopefully I'll have something to say about plot.

You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen