Little Child

by saumyapanwar

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

I was a little child

Prancing and dancing in the sunshine,

About the brick-walled veranda

Of the house I used to describe mine.

Papa called me a goddess,

Letting gloom come nowhere near;

I was quite precious in myself

Everything, from my smile to my tear.

One day I went to the mandi

With Mamma, my Protector from harm;

All of a sudden, I lost hold of her satiny scarf

And a coarse, anonymous hand seized my arm!

I resisted and yelled, like an eight year old could

With all might and tried to be loud

But I was growing distant from her

And my efforts sank in the depths of the crowd.

They tied me up in a sinister space

With the tightest of all ropes;

Those terrifying faces around

Made me lose all my hopes.

My very next memories, sir

Are wholly, solely and only pain;

I wailed and screamed, “Oh, leave me alone!”

But to those brutes, it was all vain.

Post that excruciating ordeal

I opened my eyes, no, no, eye

In the hospital bed, full of tubes

And faintly saw my dear parents, cry!

Agony enveloped me the blankets of desperation

And took all my untroubled days away;

To every twinge I got, I asked Papa,

“Was your goddess meant to be treated that way?”

But I was as brave as Durga,

I had to leave my past behind

And survive those deep, throbbing scars

But wouldn’t be able to give birth to one of my own kind!

I still get dreams, Sir

Of being fettered and being scratched on the face

Till I am breathless and I wake up,

Realising I am still caught up in the maze.

Here was my statement, your Honor

But I have a question, quite small,

It’s been six years since then;

Is justice so hard to get, after all?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:34 am
thedairist wrote a review...

As I read your piece I had shiver down my spine, my heart raced and I had very clear images in my mind. I my self i have been victim of a similar crime that haunts me still. You clearly write from a place deep inside of you. That is where the best writing comes from. And clearly you have a way with words that I'm very jealous of and Im honoured to read your piece. I encourage you to keep right out of that deep place, you have the power to heal souls with truth never doubt that.

The way you started off beautifully and I could feel the sunshine dancing on my skin as you described the girl dancing, and then it hit me the darkness and I almost didn't want to read any further. And yet the whole poem has a kind soft songy flow to it. I imagine it being told by a girl staring out the window on a summers day staring at the pavement on which she once danced before in the past with an innocent heart. So it brings over a heavy feel of dark irony for me. Which makes my hair stand up on the back of my neck. So yes you created very strong imagery for me.

I'm sorry if this is a lousy review its my first havent done any of these efore, hope it makes sence.

Keep writing, and making the world a better place one word at a time.
the._.diarist

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:38 am

Hi there, welcome to Young Writers Society, I hope you're enjoying the site so far.

To start off, I'll note that I might suggest adding a rating of "16+" and "V" (for violence) because of the implied violence and assault in the piece may be triggering or disturbing for some members. I generally think it's good to lean on the site of caution with ratings. Thank you.

Alright, so I think you have a really nice narrative in this piece - that is to say it is clear what happens. The child gets attacked, they wake up in the hospital and sort of ask why in the world this would happen to them and contemplate whether their identity has changed for themselves or in the eyes of their parents. And then in the last stanza I think it depicts the survivor 6 years later in a court room possibly and unable to get justice. That is powerful and certainly an important issue in our world today where victims of violent are still often not believed and have to go through all these hoops in the court-room and then sometimes never actually get justice despite the emotional and physical scars that might be left for them.

Since that last stanza is so crucial to the impact piece of the poem, you could make it more explicitly clear by changing "Sir" to "Your Honor" or "Judge" - to show it was in a court-room. Although I might be interpreting that scene incorrectly.

One of the other nice aspects of this poem was the rhyme scheme - it carried the poem along in almost a sing-songy or ballad way that when contrasted with the horrific story, made the idea even more shocking and sad. Because obviously it's really tragic when this happens, and especially so for children.

This stanza I found a tad confusing;

And took all my untroubled days away;

To every twinge I got, I asked Papa,

I had to read that 2nd line a few times before I noticed it was "untroubled" rather than troubled. By saying that the untroubled days are taken away - it's almost like a double-negative and is a bit difficult to follow. It's also kind of cruel to ask the father if she was supposed to be treated that way - but it does portray the anger along with the sadness I think.

That's about all the critique I had, the sentences and rhymes flowed well - and it was simple enough to understand with quite a big impact.

Also I just read in the description that this is an autobiographical account, and oh my goodness I hope nothing like this happened to you - but if something like this did, you certainly have my sympathy because what is depicted is very tragic and horrible.

Keep up your writing,

Peace,

~alliyah

saumyapanwar says...

Thank you so much for the review! I really liked the idea of making the the last stanza more clear by using 'your Honor' instead of just 'Sir'. Amendments have thus been made. So as to clear your confusion, 'untroubled' means the days of her childhood, when she had nothing to worry her. Thanks again for the word! It is highly appreciated!

alliyah says...

You're welcome!

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince