The Devoted Artist

by sak965

3-March-2014

I decided to go to the temple hoping to refresh my mind,I went there and submitted my slippers at the shoe stand. Then moved to the front row to sit on the green carpet floor, and tried to concentrate on the beautiful captivating incarnation of Lord Krishna that you can behold without ever wanting to look away. On my right i see a group of musicians.. sort of devotional band that has a tabla player, a tall guy with a gentleman like hairstyle ( well parted medium hair and equally trimmed ) to compliment his face, a silver diamond earring which made a twinkling effect and a green cotton made kurta which made his fair complexion look even fairer, and a cotton wraparound cloth wrapped on his waist covering his legs. He was sitting there preparing for the devotional songs, taking off the yellow silk fabric covers from his instrument, checking and tuning it with a silver delicate hammer like tool, and then he rubs powder on the surface of his tablas. and when the singer started singing, he looked attentively towards him with his fingers delicately holding the surface of tablas , keenly observing the notes and pattern of the song being played and accordingly adjusting the movement of his hands on the instrument to get along with the flow of the song , his fingers move on the tabla graciously making a beautiful effect of fingers dancing like little bun head ballerinas, so beautiful that I had to intentionally divert my attention from his beautiful fingers to the song. It was so captivating, he himself bent down a little to play the different patterns and his head moving swiftly as if he is his own teacher who is evaluating his own moves, completely lost in his art of the instrument that he has mastered, playing it like he relish the touch of his instrument on his fingers that are so beautiful when they dance and make a soothing and beautiful sound. I am not much technical but I could listen to it for hours, and he played it like it is his way of serving God, perfectly and curiously playing his instrument with perfect movement of each of his fingers . It was mesmerizing. It was so inspiring that I wanted to compliment him and admit that I liked his work. but I decided not to because his art was beautiful enough to not desire any appreciation and admiration.. Not every beautiful thing needs to be complimented sometimes you just have to feel it and be grateful.

erilea wrote a review...

Hey Sak! Wise here for Wizards.
So, first line. There should be a space after the comma, if you're going to use one. It should actually be two sentences. Also, you say you submitted your slippers. I can tell you're trying to use different words but submitted doesn't sound all that good or sensible, even. Maybe, "I went there, pulled off my slippers, and put them in the shoe stand." Or something like that. Submitted doesn't sound right.

"I decided to go to the temple hoping to refresh my mind,I went there and submitted my slippers at the shoe stand."

This next sentence is empty of some words here. After the first word put "I" because we don't know who you're talking about if you don't. You also don't need a comma after "floor", and finally, please tell us who this guy is. People who are reading this are probably wondering who the heck is Krishna.

"Then moved to the front row to sit on the green carpet floor, and tried to concentrate on the beautiful captivating incarnation of Lord Krishna that you can behold without ever wanting to look away."

Okay, this whole chunk was a sentence. You might want to break it up or something because it's lot of information for the reader to drink in reading one sentence. Also, in the beginning of this section, capitalize "I" and put another period to the ellipses. Ellipses normally have three dots, not two, but I think there a comma would work better. Put "a" in front of "sort". You don't need a space before a parentheses and you don't need one after it either. You have a really good description but try breaking it up, like this: "...a tall guy with a gentleman-like hairstyle (well-parted medium hair and equally trimmed) to compliment his face and a silver diamond earring which made a twinkling effect. He also had a green cotton-made kurta which made his fair complexion look even fairer and a cotton wraparound cloth on his waist."

"On my right i see a group of musicians.. sort of devotional band that has a tabla player, a tall guy with a gentleman like hairstyle ( well parted medium hair and equally trimmed ) to compliment his face, a silver diamond earring which made a twinkling effect and a green cotton made kurta which made his fair complexion look even fairer, and a cotton wraparound cloth wrapped on his waist covering his legs."

There are some more punctuation and grammar problems, but I bet if you look over it you can fix those. Also, try dividing your work into paragraphs--a whole blob of words is a little overwhelming and messy. Good writing!

-wisegirl22

Fri May 15, 2015 3:33 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Hi there! Snowery here to give you a review :)

I did enjoy this. It was a nice light read and I liked that you were trying to express a moment/sensation that you experience that brought you a sense of wonder. I love those kind of works. However I will say that I do have a few issues with the piece. My main one is that you could have taken this story so much further! There is just so much potential in this piece; a real prospect of creating something beautiful. I’m curious, is this a piece straight from your journal? It kind of seems like it. If it is I think it’s a wonderful thing that you would share that with us but also do remember that journal entries are often raw words written in the spur of the moment. I’ll go into all of now :)

Content

So your content. Remember, all stories you write will be for an audience as much as it is for yourself, having posted it up it is also now for the readers. The concept is great, it just needs to be developed. This seems like a draft, sort of the core of a greater story. You have your moment of epiphany, watching the table player and the realisations you have afterwards.
Now you have to construct the bridge that leads us to it. Build the scene. What was this temple like? For an audience who isn’t familiar with Hindu temples the experience of reading about one can be an exotic one. Use that as an advantage to draw us in. you have great descriptive powers which you demonstrate in your descriptions of the table player, use that to weave the scene around us. How did you feel there? Were you awed by everything? Were you bored? Were you searching for a spiritual moment or did the table player moment catch you by surprise? Give us more. Catch us by the throat and don’t let us go. Remember, even if this is based off real events that writing is an exaggeration of reality. Go nuts. We’ll never know if you made the temple much more grand or dull. I know that the purpose of the piece was to show us this incredible moment you had but to do that you have to draw us in first. :D

Structure and Sentence Formation

On to technicalities (aka the dreary stuff XD ) I’m sorry to do this to you but I am going to have to re-emphasize a lot of what the previous reviewer have had to say. You need to review your structure. There is a tiny paragraph, a HUGE chunk then a tiny paragraph again. It does hurt the eyes to read. If you end up adding more to this and filling in the content a bit you’ll be able to create better sized paragraphs. More than that though is the sentence structure. It needs a lot of work. As I mentioned before, this feels a lot like a draft, very raw and without much editing. I suggest that you read and reread this and listen to the words. Do they flow well together? Do you have to say too much before having to take a breath?

One of the main problems you have is the use of extremely long sentences. Take this for example:

On my right i see a group of musicians.. sort of devotional band that has a tabla player, a tall guy with a gentleman like hairstyle ( well parted medium hair and equally trimmed ) to compliment his face, a silver diamond earring which made a twinkling effect and a green cotton made kurta which made his fair complexion look even fairer, and a cotton wraparound cloth wrapped on his waist covering his legs.

Really awesome descriptions there but the sentence is HUGE!! It’s one thing if it was a one off but this happens throughout the piece. It gets very tedious to read.

Another issue with the sentence structure is the choice of where to end the sentences. I’ll show you:

I decided to go to the temple hoping to refresh my mind . I went there and submitted my slippers at the shoe stand , then I moved to the front row to sit on the green carpet floor. I tried to concentrate on the beautiful captivating incarnation of Lord Krishna that you can behold without ever wanting to look away.

I tried to show you here a different way to structure these sentences, hopefully in a way that makes it flow better :)

Imagery

One thing that I absolutely loved in this piece was not only the concept behind it but also the imagery you used. The descriptions of the table player playing his instrument were fantastic I could see everything you were describing and the reason you were so capture and enamoured by it. I thought that was great!! :D

For some final comments, as I mentioned before and keep re-iterating: this piece is really good. I just feel it needs a little more work, some more time taken, a little more editing and polishing and we would have a fantastic story to read. I hope I’ve been of some help at least. :)

Snowery

sak965 says...

Hello there! I would like to thank you for your kind words... you're suggestions are helpful and i will try my best to improve. Glad to know you liked it. Thank you so much

I like it! it is a nice stoy but could use some more detail. You could add diolouge maby. other then that it is a very good story.

sak965 says...

Thanks for your kind word... good to know you liked it.. and there is no dialog because i was observing the artist there was no conversation between us... these are just my thoughts. Thanks alot

sak965 says...

And yes.. it is straight from my journal.. i hope i satisfied your curiosity.

Tue May 12, 2015 7:53 am
yizhongt wrote a review...

Hey there, will be leaving a quick review.

Well I can find no problem with the spelling. However, I have a few bones to pick with the structure of your story. For one, it would be nice if you could break up your passages. Although this is not such a huge paragraph, it should be broken up in to at least two parts. Some sentences are a bit long, but all of us write long sentences, so that's not really a big problem.

Another thing, I realised that one of your sentences did not start with a capital letter. I think it's the second sentence. It should be a capital O instead of o.

I really like the descriptions you give in your story,very nice.

Not a bad piece, but like I said, break up your passage, Right now its just one big chunk of words. Keep on writing !!! Cheers !!

sak965 says...

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions. I will follow your advice. thanks for reading.

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers