12+

When Leaves Fall As People Do

by ryleigha

She waited. The biting air filled her chest as she observed the beauty around her. The almost still water looked as if it were on fire from the reflection of crimson and amber leaves that danced on the surface from the trees which lined the river. The air was thick with the promise of frost and the water drowsily followed along its path. The dock her chair was on rocked gently with the flowing current and she sat and watched the day move slowly past. Her legs and toes had long since gone numb despite the winter boots and thick cream woven blanket that encompassed her legs. The thermos keeping her black tea warm had long since been emptied and the last cup was cradled in her hands with the steam lazily drifting up and up and up.

She continued waiting, avoiding the warm cinnamon brown eyes that stared intently at her. There were things that she was certain of: the changing of the seasons, the endless course of the river, the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. But there were things that she wasn’t certain of as well, including the fact that she could not be certain that the person in front of her was actually there. No one, other than the kindly old neighbor who hobbled over to deliver a crisp apple pie after asking to borrow a cup of sugar earlier that morning, had been with her for weeks, and even that brief interaction had been days ago.

So she waited for her imaginary companion to disappear. It had happened more and more over the past few weeks. Seeing people that weren’t there, that couldn’t be there. The list grew by one, or two, or three every week. Her sister, her captain, her uncle, her friends, and finally the young man sitting in front of her.

This one was the most realistic mirage her hyperactive and damaged brain had imagined. His golden hair gleamed in the watery light and swayed with the crisp draft of wind. Her mind must have been lonely, or bored, because her silent companion had sat long enough that the tips of his ears and nose a rosy burn from the cold. In her faded and jumbled memories he was always moving, always restless: tapping his fingers to an unknown beat on a table, bouncing his leg when sprawled upon a chair, pulling threads out of clothing and wrapping them around his knuckles. Her hallucination was completely still. She mirrored him, staying frozen, partly because of the weather, and partly because she feared any movement would cause her silent company to disappear. This was the longest she had had any company, real or fake, in quite some time.

She risked a small movement, her eyes shifted away from the meandering river and towards the golden-haired man that sat stock still across from her in the wooden deck chair that matched her own. It was odd to see him not sprawled across in the youthful uncaring way of the past. His feet were firmly planted on the weather stained dock, forearms resting on his strong thighs, hands clasped together so tightly that his fingers were white despite the crisp fall air. He hung his head low between his broad shoulders, and he looked at her with those eyes. In them she only saw a deep, unrelenting sadness that was shown in the silver rimming his lids and the severe crease between his brows.

“I don’t know why you’re looking at me like that,” She finally spoke, her voice hoarse from disuse, “I know you’re not real. Jesus, could you smile, or something? You know, like you used to,” He acted as if she had done nothing, said nothing, just like her other ghosts, “No? Nothing? God, the least my fucked up brain could have done was make you happy.”

They just stared at each other, a mirage and a shadow of a human sitting together on a dock in the cold, next to a sleepy river.

She allowed herself one last long look over him, and looked back around the nature that surrounded her.

“I’m real, Madds.” He said softly. The deep timbre of his voice breaking the silent spell around us.

“No, I don’t think you are,” She replied sharply, “The talking is a neat new trick though, but not a particularly fun one. I should have assumed it would happen eventually I guess, I’m already nuts. Why not go all the way and talk to people that aren’t there?”

She gathered up the blanket and thermos as she spoke, intent on following the gravel path back to the small cabin a few hundred feet from the dock. But he stepped in front of her quickly and reached out as if to hold her arm. Maddigan flinched away just as fast. He switched direction and in a smooth movement grabbed the blanket that was slowly slipping out from her grasp. He bundled the soft cover in his strong hands and showed his usual restless for the first time, fisting his hands in the soft fabric over and over as if he could squeeze it down smaller.

“Please, Madds,” His voice breaking on her name, “Please, believe me, I’m here.”

Madds’ heart thundered, pulse skyrocketing. She ducked around him and quickly started for the cabin. She could hear him following her, the crunch of his footsteps shattering the careful illusion that she had painstakingly and unknowingly created. She broke into a run, knowing that her cabin, her shelter, would shield her from the storm that raged inside of her.

Disuse and neglect had weakened her so he quickly caught up to her. He blew past her and blocked the steps to the porch in front of Madds to halt her progress without touching her.

“Maddigan.” He gasped desperately. Then again in fear when her knees buckled and she swaying unsteadily. 

I should have had more to eat than that pie. Was Madds last thought before the blackness around her vision took over. 

~

He felt as if his stomach was being sucked out through his spine by a thin plastic straw. She was a shadow of the girl that he had held so close in her memories. She had none of the light that had always emanated from her. The ever-present twinkle in her eyes had dulled into nothingness. He only wanted to see her. To see if the past months had left her unscathed. But they hadn’t just like they hadn’t left him without scars on his skin and his soul.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:11 am
JacobMoor wrote a review...

Hi ryleigha!

Love the story. Your descriptions are very captivating - you've done a great job balancing it with plot development. Sometimes people go overboard on description (I'm definitely guilty of that) but you've written it so that the descriptions blend quite smoothly with the story itself.

There are a couple chunky phrases, like "disuse and neglect had weakened her". Maybe change to something more descriptive of her body, her legs. What does she feel? Are her legs burning? Aching? Can she put weight on them, or does it hurt too much. If you describe how she feels, it allows the reader to better picture the moment, and empathise more with the character. There's a few spelling and grammar errors, as well. Maybe take out a few adverbs: such as "he gasped desperately". But there's nothing in here a good reread and edit won't fix. I enjoyed reading it!

Best of luck,

Jacob

Morrigan wrote a review...

Howdy howdy! I'm here to review your piece.

First of all, after reading through the other reviews, I want to say that I agree with Elinor's point that I want more of a sense of who Madds is. For a short story, this is very short. You have room to expand! Who wouldn't want to read more, either? You take great effort to bring the reader into the realm of the story, and I appreciate that.

That being said, there is something I would like to address.

Your writing style is wordy in parts. I will point out a few places where I noticed this issue the most, but I leave it up to you to find the other spots.

The almost still water looked as if it were on fire from the reflection of crimson and amber leaves that danced on the surface from the trees which lined the river.
This is one sentence that can be cut down quite a bit, or divided into two sentences. This sentence was difficult to follow because of all the subjects you use in it. We have the water, the reflection, the leaves, the surface, the trees, and the river. That's a lot of stuff all for one sentence! What I like to do to my work is streamline it. I tend to be a bit wordy, as well, so it's something that is essential for me to do before I show other people. The first step to streamlining is to take out any non-essential words at all, and condense words as well. If there is a more specific word that fits your aim, one is better than two. If we do step one with your sentence, we get:
The water looked as if it were on fire from the reflection of trees.

That's a lot shorter and easy to read, but it sure is more boring, too! So the next step we take is adding some words back, but trying to sneak them in a little more, sometimes changing the order to make it more cohesive. This part is better done by the author, but here's one way to do it, for sake of example.
The water burned crimson, a mirror for the trees lining the riverbank.

I left out the part about the leaves dancing because it's a bit of a cliche.

Using the same process, we can streamline the whole piece. This is something I see while you are setting the scene, and introducing characters in particular.

Something else I noticed about your language is how many adverbs you use. You use over 20 adverbs in such a short piece. Now let me preach to you about the evil of adverbs. If you use strong enough verbs, adverbs are not needed. They also add to the wordiness of your piece. Not to mention you tend to use the same ones repeatedly. You use the word "quickly" three times in this piece. Seeing as it's such a short piece, it is wise to avoid repeating too much vocabulary.

Let's take a look at a line that stood out to me.
She continued waiting, avoiding the warm cinnamon brown eyes that stared intently at her.

First of all, this could be streamlined just by removing a few words.
She waited, avoiding the cinnamon eyes that stared intently at her.

Now let's talk about "stared intently at her." There are better ways to say this. You could say, "the cinnamon eyes that pierced her." Or even, if you're willing to uproot the whole sentence, you could say, "She waited for the cinnamon gaze to stop burning her" (I really like your use of the word cinnamon here, if you can't tell). Whatever you decide to do, you can see here that you don't need to use as many adverbs. They always feel so tacked on to me, and they weaken prose.
You know what? I will let Stephen King say it:

Consider the sentence He closed the door firmly. It’s by no means a terrible sentence (at least it’s got an active verb going for it), but ask yourself if firmly really has to be there. You can argue that it expresses a degree of difference between He closed the door and He slammed the door, and you’ll get no argument from me … but what about context? What about all the enlightening (not to say emotionally moving) prose which came before He closed the door firmly? Shouldn’t this tell us how he closed the door? And if the foregoing prose does tell us, isn’t firmly an extra word? Isn’t it redundant?

The last thing I will point out is this:
The thermos keeping her black tea warm had long since been emptied and the last cup was cradled in her hands with the steam lazily drifting up and up and up.
If the thermos had long since been emptied, how is the tea still steaming? This seems small, but it really jolted me out of the pleasant autumnal world I was in.

Altogether, I like that you make such an effort to get readers into this world. I enjoy your word choice, and you paint a vivid picture. Now fix all that wordiness so we can more seamlessly see from your eyes. I hope that this review proves useful to you! Happy writing!

ryleigha says...

Hi! Thank you for writing out this incredible review! And thanks for the notes on adverbs as you can tell they are definitely a bad habit that I have as a writer!

Stellarjay says...

Hello ryleigha,
This was a really nice story to read. The imagery was well done, I understood what was happening and I never got lost. The characters were also well laid out, though I was confused at first of Madd's age. At first I thought she was old because she was having hallucinations, but I later learned that she was a young woman. I would mention something about her age at the beginning of the story. Also, when you are describing/explainging something, you would sometimes miss a few commas which resulted in a run on sentence. Such as "In them she only saw a deep, unrelenting sadness that was shown in the silver rimming his lids and the severe crease between his brows. " But other than those two things, it was a solid story with a strong plot and two really good characters! I'll definitely be reading more of your stories!
Keep on writing!!
- Stellarjay

Stellarjay wrote a review...

Hello ryleigha,
Keep on writing!!
- Stellarjay

Elinor wrote a review...

Hi ryleigha!

My name is Elinor,

And I hope you're having a magical day! I'm representing the great Slytherin house on this review day to review your story. Like usermalfunction, I really enjoyed the imagery that you used throughout the story. You really made me feel like I was there with your main character. I thought the image you used at the end was nice, but I'm not sure its necessary. Not only you do a great job of painting a picture of this scene for your reader, but as a reader I like when things are left up to the imagination.

My main comment is that I wanted more of a sense of not only who Maddigan was, but what this story represents as a whole. We don't learn her name until close to the end of the piece, or really what the world she inhabits is like. I like that we don't fully know if her companion is real or a part of her imagination. I interpreted it something like Inside Out, where our imaginations start to fall apart as we get older. Right now this is a solid story about a girl and her imaginary friend, but if I'm going to keep thinking about it, I want to know what it's about beyond that.

I don't have much else to critique, as I thought you did a great job and I definitely think it could even be expanded into a longer piece if that's where you're going with it.

Hope this helps! Keep writing and slither on!

Elinor

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:30 pm
usermalfunction wrote a review...

This is a lovely story. The imagery was beautiful and I loved the scene you depicted. I'm fascinated and haunted by the characters and what their stories are. This is truly a great start to your story. There were one or two small grammar mistakes that I did notice but it didn't take away from the reading experience whatsoever. Keep up the great work!

ryleigha says...

Thank you for taking the time to read it! I'm glad you liked the imagery and the characters! What were the grammar mistakes so that I can take care of them?

The first thing was the "reflection crimson and amber leaves" part. It seems to me like there should be an of after reflection though I'm not entirely sure whether that's a styling choice or not. The second one was in the second paragraph where the man "started at her," where it should've said stared. Again, I'm not sure if that's a styling choice and if it is then please ignore my comments.

ryleigha says...

The sun can square up and fight me. Apollo is just another bi disaster, and I could take him.
— AlmostImmortal