Eighteen Falling Stars

by rustystar

The night of 18 falling stars
Only 7 more crashed cars.
As I'm finding the words
You're running away...
What force on earth
Will make you stay?
And I’m turning my head
Oh- my heart feels like lead.
I can’t say anything around you
I’m not allowed to think about what could be of me and you.
Strictly forbidden to look into your eyes,
Are you afraid that you know you give me butterflies?
I think you are
I think a lot.
I like to wonder about my life story’s plot.
Is there a reason you came to me?
Is there some stupid reason I refuse to see?
Because I don’t know
The different roads and all the ends.
But I’d travel lengths impossible
To prove to you that I am true.
But you wouldn’t give me the time of day
And when I catch you looking at me you look away.

Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 am
Eimear wrote a review...

It's a thought provoking read- not life changing but not specific to one person, so I can relate it to myself. Nice job.

I'm wondering is it right to put numbers in poetry? Maybe it would throw off the rythmn scheme if you lengthened them into words though. Probably not important, because it didn't take anything away.

However I think the rhyme needs work. I agree with Mad- maybe try to clean it up a bit and use every second line?

Anyways, I liked this. It ticked all of my boxes.

Eimear

Sat May 17, 2008 12:30 am
Mad wrote a review...

I think you need to consider more carefully what it is that you are trying to convey in your poem.

The first line for example,

The night of 18 falling stars
Only 7 more crashed cars.

What does this really add to what you are trying to convey: poetically expressive, imaginative imagery but it is completely irrelevant (seemingly so) to what becomes the main topic that you consider, unrequited love. I would suggest that you either consider cutting this line from the poem altogether, or preferably, work it into the main poem somehow whether it be symbolic (which would require some sort of explanation, "first time I saw him there were 18 stars and 9 cars crashed", so you can make allusions to it) or something more literal and easily described.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 am Post subject: Eighteen Falling Stars
The night of 18 falling stars
Only 7 more crashed cars.
As I'm finding the words
You're running away...
What force on earth
Will make you stay?
And I’m turning my head
Oh- my heart feels like lead.
I can’t say anything around you

Maybe you should consider regularizing the rhythm, it seems like everything is all the place, short lines, longer lines etc. Also, rhyming pattern. Is there a particular reason for the way you have it structured? Sometimes in couplets, sometimes not rhyming and others forms.

There are so many poems around which use this simple, straightforward way of presenting something - without any definite structure or rhyme scheme. You need to choose something else that will either distinguish your poem from others making it original (For an outrageous example, some modernist writer or other structured a piece with a questionnaire halfway through requiring yes no answers) or otherwise use some of the regular conventions with a specific purpose in mind, having a plan as to their effects. That having been said this is better than most.

But I’d travel lengths impossible
To prove to you that I am true.

The use of true here is awkward. This is unrequited love, unrecognized love so the concept of its truth being brought into question seems slightly absurd. It's unrecognized and unwanted (taken from the won't give me the time of day). Why include it? It's very "I'd walk a thousand miles" - good song, but does it suit what your trying to say.

I'm confused as to the resolution of the poem. Are you subtly hinting with the final line

That the love is actually returned though that isn't yet known - It's one of those "if he likes you, he doesn't like to be caught looking at you" things. But if it is, it needs to be more dramatically posed, more obvious in its subtlety, so to speak.

Also, what does that sort of a finish offer to the whole poem? It offers a glimmer of hope that the narrator will get her (or his, I accept it could be either but for ease of writing I'll refer to the narrator as a her) heart's desire. Does the poem however present anything revelatory?

Content, to use a somewhat tired expression, is the lifeblood of a poem. What more is offered on the subject of unrequited love? Take Romeo and Juliet (for the subject of love) for instance, the all time epic generally known, generally liked and something that can be used as a guideline (as can any love story).What does it offer to its reader? It's notably longer so has more time to build its plot-line but it really creates an emotional connection between the reader and what's going on through the presentation of events. I could tell you that I'm seven foot three, it however isn't believable if I don't back it up with something.

You have the lack of acknowledgment, the surreptitious glance/glance away, but it's brief (not that brief is an issue, strength is). Why not offer a glance at why she loves this person? If you would prefer a certain universality - this could be anyone, so it's more appealing - that's fine and good but you need to go about it better. You could start reasons why and trail off having shown nothing in particular, to start up again. Because at the moment it's love but not love I can say is worth giving. For though love may be unconditional, for the person who is in love they can usually point to something, even something stupid and peculiar - but hey, thats love so they say.

Characters. (sorry if I repeat myself). Mainly I'd consider a physical description - again if you prefer a universal appeal you may want to start up and stop, or exploit the various stereotypes ("he might have been a jock", "She had cheerleader pom-poms but never used them" etc)

Otherwise go for the general description - or just something in particular that may seem absurd but creates a connection and an actual picture of the beloved.

Symbols - I mentioned the stars and cars earlier, It is a lovely opening line. Work it in somehow so it has meaning.

Themes: You have unrequited love, you may want to focus on some particular aspect of it make it more meaningful and specific.

Rhyme: Works at times, but consider meaning first rhyme second and if you go with rhyme, rhythm could be useful from the point of view of creating a good flow and making the rhymes look and feel less artificial.

I'm sorry to ramble on a perhaps seem a bit harsh - but there are a thousand and one poems that creep up which are similar to this (though unrequited love is a somewhat less used theme) so originality is so important. Yours is better than most but there is much that can be done and hopefully I can help.

Shasta wrote a review...

I liked the poem, but I suggest you change the last line slightly so it reads a little more smoothly and dramatically.

Instead of;
"But you wouldn’t give me the time of day
And when I catch you looking at me you look away."
I might suggest something like;
And when I catch you looking at me
You always look away."

Demeter wrote a review...

So, here I am, then :)

Good job! I loved, loved the first line, it's the best thing about this poem, I think. It's so beautiful. Although I suggest you'd divide it into stanzas, like aestar said. Also, I think the flow wasn't very good in this part:
"I can’t say anything around you
I’m not allowed to think about what could be of me and you."

But other than that, I liked it!

Best wishes
Demeter

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:42 am
aestar101 wrote a review...

Welcome to the YWS!!! Before you hear this from anyone else you might as well hear it from me. We recommend that there is a 2:1 review to literary additons ratio so everyone's peices have a chance to be reviewed.

Now, to the poem. I loved it. Butn seperate your thoughts into stanzas. Try spelling out the numbers. I like the rhyming and th rhymn. And I love the forbidden romanace mixed with the unrequited love it makes it intriging. Overall awesome job and welcome to the YWS :) :) :) :)

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said