Home » Literary works » Short Story » Spiritual

Before the Council

by rosette

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, stood before the chief priests and council, where the people of Rome had demanded he be brought - because they did not bear witness to his testimony of the Lord's revelation unto him. They had thrown dust in the air, and casting off their garments, cried he was not fit to live.

And now Paul, with a soldier on either side, earnestly beheld the council and declared: "Men and brethren! I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day." The high priest Ananias commanded those who stood nearby to smite him on the cheek. Paul, recovering quickly from the blows, answered the high priest Ananias, "God shall smite THEE, thou whited wall! For sittest thou to judge me after the law? And commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?"

The mixed multitude of people standing within reach, murmured amongst themselves, saying, "Revilest thou God's high priest?!"

"I wist not, brethren," said Paul, "that he was the high priest. For it is written: thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people."

And when Paul, looking about, had perceived that one part of the audience were Sadducees, and the other, Pharisees, he cried out: "Men and brethren! I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee. Of the hope and resurrection of the dead, I am called in question." Immediately after he had thus spoken, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and the multitude was divided. Now the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection: no angels, or spirits. But the Pharisees confess both.

So there was a magnificent cry, and the scribes who were with the Pharisees arose and strove with those of the Sadducees, saying: "We find no fault in this man! But, if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him - let us not fight against God." And when there arose a great dissension, the chief captain, who feared lest Paul should have been pulled in pieces of them, commanded his soldiers to take Paul by force from among them and bring him back to the castle.

------

So I totally did this thing for fun, because this particular passage cracks me up and I don't even know why. But. I really would like your guys' thoughts on this - I think I totally dragged some of these sentences out...

Dracula wrote a review...

Well this was a little hard to review, because it's difficult to tell how much is copied (both from the Bible and others' interpretations). Perhaps include a little bibliograhy? Anyway, I'll touch on a pro and a negative.

The pro is that the speech was spot on, in my opinon. It rang true with the period and of course matched the formal tone of the Bible.

The negative is that some sentences don't flow smoothly. The commas in this sentence, for example, were placed oddly: They had thrown dust in the air, and casting off their garments, cried he was not fit to live. It's probably just my own personal preference, but in my mind it should be: They had thrown dust in the air and, casting off their garments, cried that he was not fit to live.

I agree that you dragged some sentences out. That last one takes up three lines! You had enough punctuation that it didn't bother me too much though.

There's my attempt at reviewing this. Take it or leave it. :D

rosette says...

I sort of copied and added when it comes to what was actually from the Bible, but most of it is very KJV-biased. XD

Roundsquare wrote a review...

I actually thought you wrote this, and was about to shower you with praises. The English bible is very well written. Wish I could write like that. I think I am going to get back to reading the bible if only to improve my own writing and who knows, God may win over a sinner in the process.

I just love the simple descriptions the bible utilizes. Case in point;

--- The mixed multitude of people standing within reach, murmured amongst themselves, saying, "Revilest thou God's high priest?!" ---

In a few words you get lots of detail. Love it.

rosette says...

XD technically speaking, no, I didn't write this. I could never write as excellently as the Bible, I agree with you on that! (though I did add a lot of my own phrases) Thanks for your comment(s), weird how it kept repeating... And hey! You never know, the Bible just could help improve your writing ;)

Roundsquare says...

my message was repeated again.

Roundsquare says...

For some some reason my comments are being repeated.

Roundsquare says...

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna