Argument Between Mother & Son

by rosette

I was supposed to write an argument between a child and a parent - without any exposition - showing the conflicting emotions of the parent. I don't know if it went very well, though. :/

---

"Let me take the car!" Jason shouted.

"No!" His mother yelled back. "For God's sake, Jason, you're only sixteen! You're not responsible enough to be driving your friends around right now!"

"Why not?" Jason demanded, crossing his arms defensively. "You did when you were sixteen."

His mother pressed her lips tightly together. "Jason, times were different then-"

"You always say that!"

"My parents trusted me!"

"Dad would have let me," Jason sulked. He glared at her.

Her jaw trembled. She shook her head, adding in a low voice, "you're only sixteen."

"Gee, you don't have to keep reminding yourself."

She crossed her own arms. "You are not taking my car -"

"I told them I was picking them up!"

"You are not picking up your friends-"

"Yes, I AM!" He slammed his fist into the wall.

Her voice rose. "And you are not going to that party!"

His jaw hardened.

He spoke stiffly. "Guess what, Mom? Guess what? I'm not a baby anymore!"

"You're still my son!" she cried. "I can still make decisions -"

"No! No! I'm actually old enough to drive! I'm actually old enough to do things on my own! Yeah, yeah! Surprise!" He threw his arms out and raised his eyebrows high. "Bet you didn't know that?"

"Jason -"

"You don't need to coddle me anymore! I'm almost an adult!"

"You're not an adult yet," she whispered.

"Would you just quit it?! I am so sick of you being so protective! You're not even letting me grow up!"

She started.

"I just - I can't-" He stomped to the front door and flung it open.

"Jason," she began, but he stormed out the door, slamming it shut behind him.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi there,
Seeing as this is a short, I'll only keep my comments brief and related to exactly what you've posted.

You've done a really good job of characterisation through just this series of interactions and it gives us an (albeit short) interesting insight to some of their thoughts, feelings and motivations without actually delving into anything other than what is happening in the present.

I can't help but dislike the character of Jason. To me, he seems so incredibly entitled . It's not his car, why should he have the right to promise his friends a lift when he hasn't even asked? What if his mum needed the car?

I like how the mother's feelings seem to be in conflict here - she doesn't want him to be upset but she still wants to keep him safe. I know this is short, but I think sometimes her emotions seem to change a little too quickly. At the beginning she is bellowing at him and seems really riled up then suddenly she's upset then angry then quiet? I can understand the change in emotion when he mentions his father but the roller coaster of emotions is a bit too fast for my liking.

Also, this line:

She started.

seems unfinished. A typo maybe?

Anyway, I'll leave it there for now. A good piece for such a specific assignment and I thought the characterisation was great!

Icy

rosette says...

Hey! Thanks for the review :)
Yeah, there's a lot unsaid here but it was difficult to get into more detail without having any exposition... With the "started" verb I meant, started as in jumping slightly out of surprise, but looking at it again, it kind of does look odd xD
Thank you once more!!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:52 pm
graphiteshimmer wrote a review...

Okay, first of all, coddle is my new favorite word. Thank you XD. So, I loved this short little narrative. It was great on it's own, but I'd love to know what happens next!! Maybe he goes to the party and something extreme happens and he's taken court as a witness. The whole time his mom is glaring at him like "I told you so."
I'm loving the attitude that was put into their voices. I can almost hear that smart-aleck teenage boy mouthing off to his mother. You also did a really good job describing the body language and tone of voice, so keep that up.
However, I would suggest changing "Gee, you don't have to keep reminding yourself." to "Gee, you don't have to keep reminding me, since the mother is reminding the son repeatedly about his age.
Okay, that's it! Keep up the good work, and let me know what happens in the end!

rosette says...

haha, I'm glad you liked it! xD
This isn't supposed to be like, a short story or anything; it was just an assignment, so I don't think I'll have any more parts to it... But I appreciate your review!

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk