WORK IN PROGRESS

by rosethorn

Breathe. Step back. Breathe. Step back. Heart pounding. Chest heaving. Head spinning. What had I done?

Ten years ago there was an accident. A terrible tragedy that took place right here on this very street corner. It was winter and the night was cold. Still. Christmas Eve. Not many lingered out on the streets. Many were asleep in this neighborhood by the time Chris Redfield’s red Camry sped around this block, much too fast to stop in time. Much too intoxicated to react when he saw the bridge a mere ten feet ahead. He didn’t stand a chance. He never knew what hit him. Dead at the scene.

Dead.

Dead to me too.

I received the call early the next morning from his frantic mother who told me he didn’t come home the night before. I stumbled out of bed, slipped on my slippers and mumbled in agreement. “He’s probably staying over at Brian’s, Ms. Redfield. I saw Chris leave the game with him last night.” Truth was, I wasn’t at the game. I was busy babysitting for a friend. But Ms. O’Conner took the false witness, Thank God.

I blindly made my way into the kitchen and made up a bowl of cereal. Cocoa Puffs. Then turned on the TV and flipped through the channels absently. Until I heard the breaking story headline. The local news station’s big story. LOCAL YOUNG MAN. KILLED. CAR CRASH. And I dropped my spoon.

Not Chris, I thought. Couldn’t happen. But my head suddenly ached and my stomach rolled with queasiness. So bad that I was convinced I was ill. And I called in to work sick.

I tried to tell myself, Rebecca, you have to calm down. Get a hold of yourself. I had to convince myself that this wasn’t really happening. I laid on the couch for around twenty minutes with the TV on mute and I couldn’t have looked at it even if I wanted to. Suddenly the phone jolted me out of my non-existence.

“Hello?” I said to the stranger on the receiving end. It was a dead sort of silence that makes you wonder if time has just stopped.

“Ms. Dawson?”

I cleared my throat. “Yes?”

“Is this Rebecca Dawson?”

“It is.”

“Ms. Dawson, we would like you to come down to the station and answer a few questions. Would you like directions on how to reach us?”

This wasn’t happening. “Is something wrong?” My mom worked as a correctional officer at the station. She worked the graveyard shift so she wasn’t home yet.

I waited on that end of the phone and I heard a click and then the dial tone. Disconnected.

I didn’t waste time before driving down to the police station. I scaled the wide concrete steps of the building. What is this about? It’s Christmas. Why do they want to talk to me? An officer met me at the door. Opened it for me. Allowed me to pass him. I shook off my boots and hurried inside.

I was almost immediately escorted to the interrogation room and directed toward a seat at the end of the table. There I was instructed to wait. Wait.

Breathe.

Two uniformed officers came into the room and took the two seats that remained. I was surrounded. What had I done to deserve-

“Ms. Dawson?” The man spoke to me first, scanning the papers in front of him.

I could only nod.

“Do you know why we called you in here?”

I opened my mouth and croaked, “No, officer. Is there a problem?”

He took a quick glance at his partner, a blonde woman who looked to be in her late twenties.

“Do you have an ID or a driver’s license with you at this time?” The woman asked gently.

I grabbed for my purse and found my ID card. Slid it across the table.

She checked it and then set it down in front of her.

Then the man pulled a photocopy page out of one of the files he kept in front of him and slid it toward me.

At first I saw only colors and patterns. No texture. No life.

“Ms. Dawson, do you know this man?” The man asked patiently.

Chris.

A lump formed in my throat as I choked on my own response. “Chris Redfield.” I said softly. It was all I could do to keep from sobbing.

“What was your relationship with Mr. Redfield like?” The woman asked next. But I couldn’t hear her. Either that or I simply didn’t want to.

“Ms. Dawson?” The man prompted again.

“Sorry.” My voice trembled. “Chris and I were just friends. Schoolmates.”

Just friends?

“When was the last time you saw Chris Redfield alive?” The woman asked.

I tried to recall it.

“We’d gone Christmas shopping. He gave me a ride home. That was just last night. Maybe seven?” I answered.

“Did he attempt to contact you anytime after he dropped you off?”

“No.” I answered. “Not that I know of.” Had he?

“Do you know where he was going after he dropped you off? Did he say anything in that nature?”

“I assumed he’d be heading home. I didn’t ask.” I looked again at the picture before me. “Please tell me how this happened.” The words spilled out of me as if they were the tears that followed. Silent tears that I thought maybe if I ignored them, they’d go away.

“There was an accident.” The man said bluntly, showing no hint of recognition. “His car sped off the bridge down at Dudley’s Pass.”

I wasn’t quite satisfied with his ratification of the situation but I had to let it go. Let it go. Let it go.

Let him go.

“We have some evidence telling us that Chris Redfield was intoxicated when the accident took place.” The woman added, more to herself than to me.

“That’s right.” The man concurred. Then he directed his eyes toward me. Hard. “You said you and Chris Redfield were friends. How close were you?”

My chest tightened. “We were very close officer. We’d been friends since the fourth grade.”

He didn’t take his attention off me fully even as he scribbled in his notepad. “Did Mr. Redfield ever frighten you?”

“Excuse me?” I could hardly breathe in here.

“Were you aware he was under the influence of potentially lethal illegal drugs and other substances.”

I started to speak but couldn’t find the words. My heart was hollow.

The man looked again at his partner as if silently exchanging information.

“Did Chris Redfield ever talk about harming himself? Harming himself or those around him? Did he ever talk about suicide?”

What?” Never. “Never. He just wasn’t that kind of guy.” I frantically looked at her and then him, waiting for some sort of explanation.

“We have reason to believe that Chris Redfield intentionally drove off the bridge last night.” The man elaborated. “Ms. Dawson, it is crucial that you tell us all you know about Chris Redfield’s personal life. Did he have anyone who had a grudge against him? Perhaps would try to harm him?”

“Did he talk about his home life at all? Did you feel any tension when you visited the Redfield’s home?”

“I-No, Chris wasn’t-He wasn’t like that! He was a good guy!”

“We’re not saying he wasn’t, Ms. Dawson. We just want you to tell us what you know.” The woman stated.

Suicide? Tension? Grudge? “Chris wouldn’t have killed himself.” I said evenly but was that what I believed? I wasn’t ready. I wasn’t ready to answer their questions.

I don’t know Chris Redfield.

“I don’t know who you are referring to. That is not the Chris I knew.”

I was trembling so severely that the only thing I could do was exit the station, my head aching and my legs weak and head directly up the street. Past my car. Up the block. As far as my own legs would carry me. As far away from the station as possible. Until I got to Brigg’s Café.

The only place I would know to be open on Christmas Day. I took my usual table by the window, trying to keep my hands from shaking. Trying to keep from choking on my own heart.

A menu was slapped down in front of me and I couldn’t help but flinch hard at the sound as if someone had struck me.

“Just coffee, please.” I struggled to keep my voice at an audible level. I would have liked nothing more than to just sit in this café and just think for a moment or two. But I had to order something. They only accepted paying customers and I knew that all too well.

Time seemed to pass in long intervals now and I had no way of stopping it or even recognizing it. Eventually I was brought my coffee and I stirred the cream into it, watching as the clouds formed.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:00 pm
Lampshade says...

Good job this is a pretty well written piece. I found myself intrigued by it. However you either need to write more on this to explain it or need to say the point mystery or whatever. Overall this piece is pretty well done.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:02 pm
rosethorn says...

Dead.

Dead to me too.

I received the call early the next morning from his frantic mother who told me he didn’t come home the night before. I stumbled out of bed, slipped on my slippers and mumbled in agreement. “He’s probably staying over at Brian’s, Ms. Redfield. I saw Chris leave the game with him last night.” Truth was, I wasn’t at the game. I was busy babysitting for a neighbor who had to do some last minute Christmas shopping. But Ms. O’Conner took the false witness, Thank God.

I blindly made my way into the kitchen and made up a bowl of cereal. Cocoa Puffs. Then turned on the TV and flipped through the channels absently. Past the children’s cartoons, past the holiday parade. Until I heard the breaking story headline. The news station’s big story. LOCAL YOUNG MAN. KILLED. CAR CRASH. And I dropped my spoon.

Not Chris, I thought. Couldn’t happen. But my head suddenly ached and my stomach rolled with queasiness. I was convinced I was ill. And I called in to work sick.

Rebecca, you have to calm down. Get a hold of yourself. I had to convince myself that this wasn’t really happening. I laid on the couch for around twenty minutes with the TV on mute and I couldn’t have looked at it even if I wanted to. Suddenly the phone jolted me out of my non-existence.

“Ms. Dawson?”

I cleared my throat. “Yes?”

“Is this Rebecca Dawson?”

“It is.”

I didn’t waste time before driving down to the police station. I scaled the wide concrete steps of the building. What is this about? It’s Christmas. Why do they want to talk to me? An officer met me at the door. I shook off my boots and hurried inside.

I was immediately escorted to the interrogation room and directed toward a seat at the end of the table. There I was instructed to wait. Wait.

Breathe.

I could only nod.

At first I saw only colors and patterns; no texture, no life.

“Ms. Dawson, do you know this man?” The male officer asked patiently.

Chris.

“Ms. Dawson?” The man prompted again.

Just friends?

I tried to recall it.

“I assumed he’d be heading home. I didn’t ask.” I looked again at the picture before me. “Please tell me how this happened.” The words spilled out of me with tears to follow. Silent tears that I thought maybe if I ignored them, they’d go away.

Let him go?

“That’s right,” The man concurred. Then he directed his eyes toward me. Hard. “You said you and Chris Redfield were friends. How close were you?”

My chest tightened. “We were very close officer. We’ve been friends since the fourth grade.”

“Excuse me?” I could scarcely breathe.

“Were you aware he was under the influence of potentially lethal, illegal drugs and other substances?”

“What?” Never. “Never. He just wasn’t that kind of guy.” I frantically looked at her and then him, waiting for some sort of explanation.

I don’t know Chris Redfield.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:08 am
MachinaPrecis wrote a review...

Advice from another person: "The story was OK, not much emotion, not much excitement. Sort of drab, I have to admit. Try to spice it up."

I completely disagree, this story section is totally loaded with emotion and excitement. However, it would come out better if it were condensed and organized better.

I don't know how seriously you should take the stylistic advice of someone who says that your sentences are jarring and then complains that there's not enough emotion in the writing.

However, it might be good to right out this story in a traditional, non-dramatic style first. Try to achieve the same impact with word choice and pacing, rather than atypical formatting and sentence structure.

Then, go back, and in each thing you changed, determine which way you like it better. I like this style but it is most effective if used sparingly.

Oh, and this is just wrong:

You said: I grabbled for my purse and found my ID card. Slid it across the table.
Claudette Edit: "I grabbed (grabbled....what?) for my purse, found my IF, and slit it across the table.

it is indeed slid and not slit. I don't know if that was a typo on her part, although she is definitely correct about grabbed/grabbled! If it's a typo, no big deal. if it's a blend between grab and grapple, that's hilarious but a serious story like this is probably not its best home.

Firestarter wrote a review...

First thoughts:

Why is she remembering an accident ten years ago now? I didn't really understand why it was ten years ago and not in the present.

Otherwise your narration is quite good; you can hear the voice of the girl, and her feelings are quite apparent.

There are a couple of typo's within your dialogue, some question marks and that, but nothing serious.

I didn't really understand why she kept saying "let it go" in her mind, and then "Let him go" when she's only just found he died. Seems a bit quick to let go of someone. Usually the truth wouldn't even have sunk in yet realistically. You don't usually realise how much you miss someone until you do things you did with them together, etc. It doesn't seem very realistic to have that thought in here head already.

Another thing -- is this all happenning on Christmas Day? It seems that way. Since there's no mention of her family, or presents, or anything like that, it doesn't make sense that it's Christmas Day. I'm not really sure but I doubt police officers would interview someone on Christmas Day; perhaps they could just put the investigation off to Boxing Day instead. I think we need more evidence, through your description/actions etc. that this in fact is Christmas Day. That stuck out as unrealistic as well. Unless there's a real need in your story for it to be on Christmas Day, I suggest perhaps just pick a day leading up to Christmas itself.

Otherwise, this start made me interested in the relationship between the narrator and Chris, because it seems like there's something deeper at work here. What has she done? Why is she remembering the accident now? What's happening in the present? etc.

Good work!

Emerson wrote a review...

I don't really like the first line (all of it) It just sounds strange. And so does much of the rest of it. All the periods make everything jump out at you, I'm not sure its needed.

It was winter and the night was cold. Still. Christmas Eve. Not many lingered out on the streets.

Still, what? I don't understand what you mean by that. And the way you just go 'Christmas eve.' as one sentence. Your characters voice, I assume, is quick and jumpy like that but until you can perfect that, its a little straining. Not that I'm saying take it out completely or anything, just try to make sure everything flows. and "Not to many lingered out on the streets" I know you mean people, but say people. Otherwise the sentence is vague.

You should really say something like 'I blindly made my way into the kitchen and made up a bowl of Cocoa Puffs" or "I was eating Cocoa puffs" or "they were cocoa puffs" instead of just going "Cocoa Puffs" like with the Christmas eve thing above, it makes it choppy to read.

The bold sentence should be written like this. "The local news stations big story was, 'YOUNG MAN KILLED IN CAR CRASH,' (since you already said local, no need to repeat, and you don't need all those periods, use words! I'm not sure I agree with the caps, but you decided. I don't know if its correct or not) and I dropped my spoon." make it all one sentence.

Your sentences are just so short and choppy, I don't know if its for dramatic affect or what but it's making the grammar sensors in my head go crazy! "Not Christ, I though. It couldn't happen. My head suddenly ached and my stomach rolled with queasiness. It was so bad that I was convinced that I was ill. (Why not just skip that, we know shes ill, just cut that whole sentence out completely. It's only repeating yourself.) It was so bad, that I called in to work sick. ( 'I called in to work sick' doesn't work for me either, but I'm not sure of how it should be. 'I called in sick to work'? It's your call)"

I tried to tell myself, Rebecca, you have to calm down. Get a hold of yourself. I had to convince myself that this wasn’t really happening.

"I tried to tell myself, [which IMO should be 'I said to myself'] "Rebecca, you have to calm down. Get a hold of yourself!' I, personally, think you could nix the whole sentence after that, or say something different. You're just repeating yourself. We know she is trying to convince herself, you don't need to tell us again, we get the idea.

It was a dead sort of silence that makes you wonder if time has just stopped.

'...that makes you wonder if time has stopped' (The ellipses are just for me, since I wasn't rewriting the whole sentence, don't actually add them in.)
An officer met me at the door. Opened it for me. Allowed me to pass him. I shook off my boots and hurried inside.

An officer met me at the door and opened it for me. That's all you need, the "allowed me to pass him." which is an incomplete sentence but, none the less, is assumed and so doesn't need to be said really. Nor does it matter.

Cut out, 'almost.' She was almost immediately escorted? You either are, or you aren't something. you can't 'almost' be human or 'almost' be dead. And I think you should get rid of the last wait. For dramatic affect, again? well, it doesn't do much for me but annoy me and Its not really 'proper'

I grabbled for my purse and found my ID card. Slid it across the table.
"I grabbed (grabbled....what?) for my purse, found my IF, and slit it across the table.

"At first I saw only colors and patters; no texture, no life."

Call him 'the officer' because otherwise you are repeating 'man' and it jumps out at you.

Either that[comma] or I simply didn’t want to.

Did he say anything in that nature?”
You're trying to sound all official and police-like :-) 'of that nature'

The words spilled out of me as if they were the tears that followed. Silent tears that I thought maybe if I ignored them, they’d go away.

This doesn't make much sense. I understand it, but its worded funny.

“There was an accident [comma][lower case: T]he man said bluntly, showing no hint of recognition. “His car sped off the bridge down at Dudley’s Pass.”

Let him go.

Get rid of the "Let it go"s. those are unneeded. If you're going for a effect, try actual literary things, IMO. and the italicized words, though interesting , are distracting to the story. I feel so pulled away from it when those words come up, it slows the pace and breaks what flow, if not much, there was.

“We have some evidence telling us that Chris Redfield was intoxicated when the accident took place[comma]” The woman added, more to herself than to me.

Then he directed his eyes toward me. Hard.

Remove 'hard'

We’d been friends since the fourth grade.

We've. We'd isn't even proper, if anything it would be "we could been friends" which makes no sense, but it is "We have been friends"

I could hardly breathe in here.

You don't need to say 'in here'
It's a question, yet you've made it a statement. use ? ;-) also "Potentially lethal illegal drugs" sounds strange. I think there should maybe be a comma some where, perhaps after lethal?

“What?” Never. “Never. He just wasn’t that kind of guy.”

You could get rid of the first never and just say, "What? Never, he just wasn't that kind of guy."

I-No, Chris wasn’t-He wasn’t like that! He was a good guy!

These here should be EM dashes (I think that is what they are called) instead of regular dashes. The alt code for it is ALT + 0151 (ex: — )

“We’re not saying he wasn’t, Ms. Dawson. We just want you to tell us what you know [comma][lower case: T]he woman stated.

“Chris wouldn’t have killed himself [comma]” I said [period and remove: evenly] [capitalize: b]ut was that what I believed? [remove: I wasn’t ready.] I wasn’t ready to answer their questions.

I was trembling so severely that the only thing I could do was exit the station [semi colon] my head was aching and my legs were weak and I was headed directly up the street.
I don't really like this sentence, its set up strange; but if you're going to keep it, make these changes.

The only place I would know to be open on Christmas Day.

Incomplete sentence. I'm just going to stop marking these. There were some in the paragraph above, too. What you have to do is read each sentence on there own, and if its complete, good! You have to realize that one word isn't a sentence, even for the effect of it, it doesn't read properly that way.

I would have liked nothing more than to just sit in this café and just think for a moment or two.

Remove the second 'just'

Is this going to be something 'more'? Because if this isn't it, and there is more, you need to make some changes. I have no idea what your story (Saying there is more) is about. It accomplishes not much that a beginning should. Also, so far, the beginning has no reference. The whole 'It was ten years ago..." thing doesn't apply because everything else is like the present, so unless it comes into play I'd just remove it all.

Sorry my critique was so long! The story was OK, not much emotion, not much excitement. Sort of drab, I have to admit. Try to spice it up. You have to realize that real life stories make bad fiction (Maybe I should find you an article on why?) and even if this didn't happen to you, its a real life story, you have to spice them up. You also have to use more complete, understandable sentences otherwise you have no flow at all.

Hope I helped, and didn't ruin your whole day...

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare