Dionysus pours a drink

by retrodisco666

Golden chalice

Stoned goblet

Midas reflected on polished metal

A glimpse of former majesty

A gift

To a god

Dionysus

Mad man in the fields

Pinches grape and tastes the soil

Traces vine to foraged hands

Bitter burning behind bruised lips

A soft mellow drowned in shallow eye

He will teach you to taste with smile

He will force you to gulp with sordid passion

Taking more than a glass himself

And another

And another

Ah but then the sun will rise on empty chalice

And your name will be lost to his mind

And a mad man will find the field once more

Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:14 am
4revgreen wrote a review...

(i had an idea for a different way to review so you are my test subject aha)

Ha! I, Dionysus, the god of wine and revelry, am delightfully amused by this mortal's attempt to capture my essence in poetic verse. For they were able to do it so well!

The golden chalice, a fitting symbol of my power and wealth, shines brightly, reflecting the true essence of my grandeur. And yet, the bitter burn behind bruised lips and shallow eye speak about the duality of my true nature - both a teacher of merriment and a madman, lost in the fields.

You really capture the essence of my wild abandon, my thirst for life and my unquenchable appetite. The reference to my foraged hands and the taste of the soil is a nod to my humble beginnings and my connection to the earth.

I am pleased that my sordid passion and my tendency to take more than a glass for myself is acknowledged. It is this unbridled spirit that makes me the life of any party and the envy of all gods.

I must say, I'm flattered to see my name remembered by mortals. Though I may forget a name or two, my influence and my reputation will forever be etched in the annals of time.

In conclusion, this poem is a worthy tribute to me! Well done, dear mortal! I shall raise a glass in your honor.

Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:51 am
ImaginaryPoet wrote a review...

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night,

I originally clicked on this because I'm a huge fan of Greek Mythology stories, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would! I love your representation of Dionysus, not as a drunk god but as a more human character who sits with normal people and treats them almost as equals.

I have a few quick grammar things, but it's not much.

In line 9, I think it's supposed to be "Pinches grapeS and tastes the soil", and the same thing for the next line "Traces vineS to foraged hands". However, this could be a formatting thing. If so, it has a very interesting effect in that it gave me the idea that Dionysus specifically targets certain people to sit and drink with.

I love the alliteration in line 11, "Bitter burning behind bruised lips". I think my English teacher would go crazy for that sentence.

Lastly, I believed there's supposed to be an and in line 18 between "Ah" and "but" ("Ah, but then the sun...", but once again, since you have no other punctuation, that might be a formatting thing.

Awesome job overall, I really liked your interpretation of Dionysus' character. It's not really one I see all that often, unfortunately, because I feel like it's the most accurate when it comes to the old stories.

Have a great rest of your week!

- ThePoet

Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:56 am
BlueDoorway wrote a review...

Your poem was fun! I liked the way you used alliteration and good word choice, like with
"Bitter burning behind bruised lips"
You build up your plot and the pace of the poem nicely. One thing I would work on is adding more emotional detail throughout, since the ending was a little abrupt for me (though I'm not well-read in Greek gods) but your physical details were interesting.

they say money can't buy happiness, but what they don't realize is that money *can* buy novelty socks.
— blueca