Chapter One(Part 1)

by reneehope

The name of the game is guilt as I held my head high and pretended I didn’t know about the damage I had done to the entire east wing of Brunswick High, my fifth school in the past three years. My father couldn’t be bothered to come in, so instead he sent Pamela, his old-lady secretary who liked to think of me as a estranged granddaughter who needs saving. She tapped ferociously on her smart phone as my foot tapped to the beat of denial underneath the chair.

“And you’re sure you didn’t know about this?” Principal Giovanna had a pad of paper in front of him that he thought I couldn’t see, laid flat against his desk, names smeared with blue ink when proven innocent. A flicker of hope made the churning in my stomach pause, or at least go slower. He hadn’t caught me on camera, and I could walk the halls of this school for the remainder of my senior year.

As long as I was convincing.

I adjusted my glasses and cleared my throat, ridding it from phlem and the overwhelming urge to scream my guilt. “Last night I was working on a science project. You can ask Pamela.” A smile worked its way to the corner of my lips. Half truths are better than half lies, and with witnesses who won’t dare tell the truth, I was invincible.

With an overworked smile and tired eyes, Pamela looked at the man in charge of my fate. “She was at home last night, I can vouch for that. As for the science experiment- you were supposed to be sleeping.” She sent a kindly frown my way, and my smile broke through.

“Sorry Miss Pam. I just got caught up in the moment.” I swiveled around to look at the principal. “I was at home though, see?”

Mr. Giovanna nodded, and I leaned forwards, resting my elbows on my knees and interlacing my fingers. “If you don’t mind though… I think I may know who did it.” After a moment’s pause, enough to draw both pairs of eyes to my somber expression, I continued. “Matthew Framer.” I looked back up and adjusted my glasses, as if gathering the courage to continue. “He said something about an epic prank. I thought it was just talk, I didn’t want to say anything… but if he keeps terrorizing the school like this…” I forced my voice to crack, “I don’t know what he’ll do next.”

Principal Giovanna nodded again, alarm flashing in his eyes as he struggled to maintain a mask of composure and scribbled something else down on the infamous yellow notepad. I had to bite my lips together to keep from smiling. “Thank you, so, so much Miss Richards,” The principal looked through me as he spoke, already deciding what, exactly, he was going to say to Matthew and how best to bring up the word expulsion to his parents. “Go on back to class now, Mrs. Tar, I’m awfully sorry about the interruption to your day” I stood up to take my leave, slowly moving towards the door behind us.

“That’s quite alright Principal Giovanna,” she finally tore her eyes away from her phone as she reached over to shake his hand. “I’m just glad everything was able to be resolved.” With that, I slipped out the door and into the hallway, backpack on my shoulder and hurrying through the crowd of people.

I reached my locker and allowed myself time to breathe, breathing out through my nose as slowly as possible. I wasn’t going to be expelled. I turned the dial with shaky hands, putting in the combination and swinging the locker open.

“Hey E.T.” A familiar, snarky voice came from behind me, then laughed, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I knew who I would see before I looked, and had to close my eyes in order to keep from rolling them. Opening them as I turned towards Matthew Framer, I smiled tightly.

“If you’re going to insult me, at least get my field right.” His eyes narrowed slightly, as they did whenever I said something that questioned his IQ.

“What are you even talking abo-”

“E.T. is a movie about aliens, which is an astrophysicists realm. Well, more so than mine anyway. I’m more of a-”

“MATTHEW FRAMER TO THE MAIN OFFICE MATTHEW FRAMER TO THE MAIN OFFICE PLEASE.”

Startled by the interruption, I flinched, but Principal Giovanna’s voice over the intercom put a halt to the few cartwheels left inmy stomach. I had been decided innocent, and the maggot had no idea what was coming his way. This was for all the taunts, and the jeers, and the stupid names and the stupid post-it notes attached to my desk with disturbing innuendoes.

I might have lied, but he deserved every bit of retribution I had earned.

To my utter horror, he grinned, all teeth and no lips, and shot a triumphant sneer my direction. “Looks like I’m needed once again. Don’t miss me too much, Einstein.” With a wink he turned around, sauntering through the middle of the hallway.

I could barely contain my laughter as I entered my fifth period class, bell ringing as I slid into my seat.

As the teacher began and Matthew Framer didn’t return, I tapped my fingers against the desk, certain he would burst through the doors and accuse me of lying, as if somehow he would figure out it was me that pointed the finger at him. But then fifth period ended, and so did sixth, then seventh, then eighth. It was only after I stepped out of the building that it occurred to me.

As long as I stayed invisible, I was invincible.

sinazzy wrote a review...

Im just going to say it now, great job! The first sentence definitely intrigued me when I started reading. I would also add a small blurb/story summery on what this is going to be about since this looks to be part of a novel and i'm not really sure about where this story is going. Overall, the grammar and punctuation seemed decent enough along with the story.

(Sorry if this doesn't help, this is my first review)

-Sinazzy

Apricity wrote a review...

Hey Renee, Apricity here for a review.

Let's jump straight into it. Overall, this chapter is written out. You have a good character interaction here and your character building skills are good, we have conflict, a promising plot that is waiting to be fleshed out and there is overall minimal spelling and grammar mistakes. I'm saying this now to let you know that whatever I say next, are just small things that will help your story flow better and connect better.

The name of the game is guilt as I held my head high and pretended I didn’t know about the damage I had done to the entire east wing of Brunswick High, my fifth school in the past three years.

I'm not expert at grammar, but this looks like a run-on sentence to me. You have several main clauses in there without a fullstop to separate them. Take a look at this article here so you know how to avoid and fix them in future. However, your opening sentence sort of contradicts the rest of your chapter. She feels guilty, but then spends the rest of the chapter side-stepping that guilt and imposing it on someone else. Which is a direct contradiction to that opening sentence (as lovely as it is). If she is guilty then, instead of pushing the blame so easily onto Matthew I think she'd at least show some degree of hesitation, but there was none of that. She did it like she planned it. An obvious delinquent, would she really feel guilt at what is assumably just another prank?

I'm curious as to what damage it is here, of course this information might be revealed to us later but as readers. It's a good idea to know the severity of whatever prank she pulled that warranted a visit to the principles office.

“And you’re sure you didn’t know about this?”

So, the question bugs me because if the principle has called her into the office then he must know that something is up. Either that she was involved with it and he knows it, or someone has tipped him off. Otherwise, why would he call her into the office in the first place? What prior investigation took place before this meeting, and how does she knows that he hasn't seen the cameras and everything. He doesn't question her apart from, 'you're sure you didn't know about this' (which sounds more like a follow up question than a starting question). This just doesn't seem very feasible or logical to me.

Usually when a student goes into a principle's office, it involves the principal calling all those involved and telling them to account everything that happened along with whatever the principal has already received. Is Pamela helping her or against her, I'm not really sure what her role in this story is because not enough information has been giving about what Pamela was doing.

There hasn't been enough background context for that to make sense. The whole thing with Matthew at the end, as interesting as that was I felt would have made more sense if it was placed at the start of the chapter? Because then we need her motivation for lying in the first place. Which brings to mind, if the two share such a long history together it might be worth exploring their history and foreshadowing that a bit earlier in the chapter so the readers are prepared for it later on?

But these are just personal opinions, I hope this review wasn't too harsh and has been helpful in some ways. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me by replying to this or PM me. :)

-Apricity

Zoom wrote a review...

This sentence was very long and by the end of it I didn’t have any idea what I was supposed to understand from it. I highly recommend chopping this up a little bit and playing around with sentence length.

I adjusted my glasses and cleared my throat, ridding it from phlem and the overwhelming urge to scream my guilt.

“Scream my guilt” was confusing to read, try rewording this so your meaning is clearer.

Half truths are better than half lies

I kind of see what you were going for here but I don’t think the concept was really executed properly. Essentially these two ideas are the same thing, and I couldn’t really differentiate them in my head, personally.

Mr. Giovanna nodded, and I leaned forwards, resting my elbows on my knees and interlacing my fingers. “If you don’t mind though… I think I may know who did it.”

So far I am not enjoying your protagonist, I find her rather annoying. I just wanted you to be aware of that. I hope that I experience her redeeming qualities soon, or there is some kind of reason to invest in her, because so far I wouldn’t read a story about a character like this.

I hope there is a reason you have built suspense about her field by cutting her dialog short here. The entire exchange between her and Matthew seems to have set this moment up and so I hope it has a lot of significant later on. ***I just realised that you said in the thread subject about Frankenstein? I’m now very intrigued, so good job***

***
Final comments:

1) This was fairly well written in that you are capable of writing
coherent dialog and action sequences, and there weren’t many occasions where I didn’t understand something. It’s quite short so I don’t have any general, overall
feelings or impressions about it just yet. I'm intrigued enough to continue and that's the main thing, really.

2) I don’t like your protagonist so far, she’s very full of herself. I mentioned before that you can resolve this by giving her redeeming qualities or something to like about her so that readers won’t just dismiss her as being annoying for no reason. Or if it’s pivotal to the story for her to be this unpleasant, then I highly suggest showing us a justification for it. For example, when she was in the principal’s office and she snitched on Matthew, that would have been a better place to add the part about “this is for all the taunts etc”. If I had known she did it for revenge I would have been on her side rather than immediately disliking her.

There wasn’t much else to point out. Hopefully I can provide more feedback with the next post. Feel free to tag me, I’m intrigued to learn more about the Frankenstein connection.

Zoom

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina