To you

by rainynight13

To you, to my best friend, to my other half

To the wonderful soul you would no doubt be

I´m sorry you never got the chance to really be

To look at the world through blurry eyes

Eyes that would become clear

That you never got to have or give a hug

That you never got to feel someone´s heart beat 

That you never got to laugh

That you never got to truly exist 

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:10 pm
GusG wrote a review...

Hello.

I might sound a little harsh, but I will try to be honest.

In general I liked your poem. It was emotive and descriptive, and the rhythm was smooth in most areas when read out loud.

However, there are some things that you could look at.

I find this jars a little, and although grammar is not my strong point, it doesn't sound right. Perhaps you could change it to: 'To the wonderful soul you would have no doubt been'. This also clears up the clash of the two lines ending in 'be'.

I'm sorry you never got the chance to really be

This seems to have the same meaning as the last line. I think this is the most important and profound line in the poem, which summarises the rest and as such should go at the end. I would either cut out the third line or replace it.

And since this is such a key line, it should be emphasized more. The two best ways of doing this are by slowing it down with punctuation, alliteration or a list, and by rhyming it with an earlier line. These are some of the rhyming words I could think of that you might like to use: chances missed, twist, kissed, fist... And many more - it's up to you, of course.

Also, although you start off with a good meter, you lose it after the fourth line. Try playing around with syllable counts.

But despite being mostly critical (I presume you are interested in improvements more than flattery), this poem definitely has a message to get across, which it does well, and I like the idea behind it, which I think is about, as has been said, the loss and grief experienced by the twin that survived. Am I right?

Thank you for writing this poem. May it soon be joined by others.

GusG.

rainynight13 says...

Thank you for your review!!

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:47 pm
JessicaMoon wrote a review...

Hey rainynight13,

I have a review (kinda)
This poem is really good. It is short and simple, but the simplicity allows the reader to imagine who this is written to. In the beginning you say "To you, to my best friend, to my other half", who is this person really? From the way you describe this person, it sounds like a twin. The other baby, the baby who survived, is sorry for the loss of his or her other half. The fact that this person is grieving a person they never got to truly know, or understand is very powerful.
If there is one thing that you could work on, it would be punctuation, but, in all honesty, I don't know anything that would call for constructive criticism.

PS I would love to see a sequel to this poem, or maybe even a string of letter poems if you can. That would be absolutely amazing.

Thanks for sharing

rainynight13 says...

Thank you for your review!! You're right, it is about a twin. I will definitely consider making it letter poems or something similar!!

JessicaMoon says...

That is way cool :)

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu