z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

Guilt <3

by queenebea


Feedback?


Guilt

He didn't tell me this would happen,
He just said I'd get high.
He didn't say I'd start coughing up blood
Or that my best friend would die

It started in the park
On the way home from school.
"Do you want to be popular?" He asked
"Do you want to be cool?"

This was mine and her big chance!
To finally fit in
If only we had thought about
The consequences it would bring

He pulled out a foul smelling liquid
And poured it on a rag
As it wafted through my nostrils,
I tried hard not to gag

"Go ahead, try it", he said.
"It's the cats meow"
"We don't know what to do" I replied.
"Can you show us how?"

He held the rag up to his nose
And breathed in the vile smell.
His eyes grew huge and round,
His body twitched as well.

"Join me!" He rasped as he stood up,
His voice sounded real weird.
My friend and I grabbed a rag each,
Though we were feeling scared.

My shaking hands poured the liquid
My friend did the same.
And as she held it to her nose,
Her face contorted with pain.

I felt a burning in my chest,
It hurt like a stabbing knife.
And as the fire filled my lungs,
I thought, 'Worst mistake of my life!'

A red liquid poured from my mouth,
And made patterns in the mud.
I pressed my fingers to my lips,
And they came off dripping with blood.

I turned to check if my friend was ok,
I couldn't see her around.
I looked down at my feet,
And saw her lifeless on the ground.

I don't know how to break it,
To her family and friends.
I only know that if we hadn't sniffed,
Her life wouldn't have had to end.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:45 pm
Winter257 wrote a review...



Hello there! After reading your poem, I decided I'd leave my first review for it!

Like someone mentioned below, in your first stanza you give away the ending (that your best friend passes away), and I feel like that would have been better used to build tension through the poem.

Otherwise, I actually love this poem! It's sad and it definitely made me emotional just reading it. I feel like the way you added the peer pressure ("Do you want to be popular? Do you want to be cool?") made it relatable, in that many many teens face very similar pressures. I think your overall flow and choice to rhyme helped the poem, as well, despite what someone else said. Overall, you did a wonderful job making an emotionally haunting poem! I look forward to hopefully reading more of your work! :)




User avatar
274 Reviews


Points: 3742
Reviews: 274

Donate
Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:24 pm
cleverclogs wrote a review...



Hi there, queenebea! cleverclogs here to review!

I think that my main problem with this poem isn't the subject you chose, but the way you chose to portray it. The rhyming just doesn't work at all. I generally reserve rhyming for childrens' poems or humorous poems, so it just seems really out of place here. It feels like you're making fun of the matter, like, "Look at the funny poem about death, children!" The rhyming just didn't sit well with me. There are certain subject matters that you just shouldn't use rhyming with unless you're 100% certain that you can make it work. The effect of this was also compounded by out-of-place phrases such as "cat's meow". Think about your subject matter for a minute. It's dark and serious, a sort of warning to people. Now think about the phrase "cat's meow". Does it really fit in there?

Another problem I had with this was that it seemed so unrealistic. I mean, does anyone actually go around saying, "do you want to be cool?" Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and people actually do that, but to me it seems like something out of an anti-drug video that they show kids in health class. Also, unless the narrator has grown up without watching any of those videos, why would they be dumb enough to actually listen to the drug dude?

I don't know how to break it,
To her family and friends.
I only know that if we hadn't sniffed,
Her life wouldn't have had to end.


Have you ever heard of a website called TV Tropes? If so, are you familiar with the term "anvilicious?" If not:

A portmanteau of anvil and delicious (or possibly vicious), anvilicious describes a writer's and/or director's use of an artistic element, be it line of dialogue, visual motif, or plot point, to so obviously or unsubtly convey a particular message that they may as well etch it onto an anvil and drop it on your head.


That is what that last stanza felt like to me. You may as well just delete that whole last stanza and write, "DON'T SNIFF, KIDS!!!" I think that your message would be much more effective if instead of being so on-the-nose, you left it up to the readers to figure out. Bring the title of the poem into play. Talk about the guilt the narrator is feeling. I think that this will make it much more emotional and will convey your message more effectively.

All in all, I wasn't a huge fan of this. I think that you definitely show potential as a writer, but I'd like to see your mad rhyming skillz used elsewhere. Keep on writing!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:10 pm
ButtercupRose wrote a review...



Very descriptive!
Hauntingly sad, but beautifully written.
It gives just the right amount of emotion to bring it to life.
It makes the reader FEEL the emotion you are writing.
Keep writing! Its amazing.
My only negative thing I have to say is that you give the ending in the beginning..... So the suspense or emotion doesn't build up because you already know whats going to happen.
So if you wanted to create a flood of emotion at the end, don't give up the ending. But that's just my opinion.

Overall: Amazing, beautiful, yet haunting. But don't give away the ending too soon!




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:44 am
copgraveyard wrote a review...



A few plot holes.

I wasn't a big fan of this. A question I must ask is did they get drugged? What was the exact drug they used? This didn't effect me because there were so many questions left out in the open. You just told a story with no definite answer and I didn't enjoy that. You leave the audience questioning way too much, and that's a bit discouraging. I get that something went wrong, that drugs are bad, but you just told a pointless story. If a few points ended up fully delivering throughout the poem, then that would make it a great poem.

thanks.




User avatar


Points: 240
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:00 am
RubenKelly says...



Nice use of dialogue to go along with the vivid pictures this shows. The blood is also quite effective





People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
— Leo J. Burke