z

Young Writers Society



The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan)

by purifier


I haven't read all of them yet, I'm only on the sixth one, but I think his world is amazing. The story does tend to go off track (or at least, you start to feel like he's just wandering around) after the fifth book (which I have seen in other reviews about his work). Even so, his characters and world make me want to keep reading, even if the story is starting to... fade. The world is believable and all of the creatures are believable. Over all, it's a pretty good book series to read if you like the bigger one (all of them have roughly 1000 pages).

Any body else's thoughts?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 324

Donate
Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:24 pm
-KayJuran- wrote a review...



A thought to add: I was talking to the clerk at the local bookstore about the books and he said that the reason there are just so damn many is because they've got Jordan contracted for 15 books. So blame Tor, not the man. I can't believe he has to write that many! How can he keep the series going so long?


Hmm.. I know there are only twelve books in the series, but maybe that's including the spin-offs like 'New Spring'...




User avatar
63 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 63

Donate
Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:41 pm
Cicero wrote a review...



A thought to add: I was talking to the clerk at the local bookstore about the books and he said that the reason there are just so damn many is because they've got Jordan contracted for 15 books. So blame Tor, not the man. I can't believe he has to write that many! How can he keep the series going so long?

The clerk also recommended the author George R.R. Martin - he said if you like the Wheel of Time books, you'll love Martin.




User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 40

Donate
Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:59 pm
Fool wrote a review...



I've been nagged into reading the first book. I wasnt planning on liking it much. I knew plently of great fantasy writers and i was happy to stick with them. Got book...finished book....was surprised.

The Eye of the World is an amazing book. I'll admit i found it slow to start with...not fully grabbing my attention until about a quarter of the way through...but boy...that is one decent book. Highly recomended. I've ordered the 2nd one and should be picking it up tomorrow hopefully. I've got a lot to catch up on!!




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:07 am
Jiggity wrote a review...



Ive read them all. He's an amazing writer and the Wheel of Time, to me at least, doesnt seem repetitive. I love how he plays with the characters putting them in new situations and giving them realistic reactions. He is an awesome writer, some times tedious, perhaps, but awesome nonetheless.

Especially the last three books. They were...just...wow.




Random avatar

Points: 1790
Reviews: 12

Donate
Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:32 am
Christianne_015 wrote a review...



I got as far as reading the first five to seven books in his series, and then I got tired of them. It felt like he was just stretching the story out, just to get more money from people buying more books from him. I don't know. I liked them up until I thought he just had too many [books] in his series.

Haha. I just read all the other posts. Everyone said what I already thought. "The books just started becoming repetitive." "He's just after the money." All those things.




User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 324

Donate
Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:11 am
-KayJuran- says...



somehow i am going to have to refrain from asking you what happens. im still trying to find out who the people were talking about when they were talking to mat. cant say more than that or i'll spoil it for people but if you've read it you'll prob know what i mean.




User avatar
266 Reviews


Points: 1726
Reviews: 266

Donate
Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:55 pm
backgroundbob wrote a review...



Cicero's got the right of it: they are well-written, but when you've read them all, like I have, they get horribly repetitive. There are some phrases that he uses *so much* it's painful, and *way* too many minor characters. Then there's the fact that so much would be easily solved if the main characters just talked to each other, instead of fooling around all the time.

On the other hand, he has sped the pace up considerably in the current (and penulimate) book, so here's looking for a finale!




User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 324

Donate
Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:23 pm
-KayJuran- wrote a review...



Perrin is one of my favourite characters but i've barely seen him in the 5th and 6th books. so far i'm about 300 pages from the end of book 6. after that, i'll be very sad cause i have no money to buy any more yet... :(




User avatar
63 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 63

Donate
Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:46 am
Cicero says...



The books are great until about the fifth one... then it becomes repetitive and mundane. But such is life. Mat and Perrin are the best characters.




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 53

Donate
Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:54 am
Beethoven wrote a review...



I read the first one, was entranced by a few characters, but the book was unable to keep my attention. The sort where I can't wait to read the next chapter. Too long of a book for that lack of enthusiasm. Had some original ideas, but a lot of unoriginal ones, which you seem to see a lot in this type of fantasy. I checked the first one out a few weeks ago, hoping to like it better, but the beginning is too slow to draw me in, so my busy schedule won over.




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:37 pm
Yrael says...



I have not read them, but I do hear that it starts out spectacular, but then after about the middle of the series the author just draws it out as long as possible, draining every possible penny from his fans as he can.





Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening