z

Young Writers Society



Scattered

by prolixity


Donna Platt pushed herself out of her car. She paused to touch her fluff of white hair and rearrange a turquoise sweater around her plump figure. A screen door screeched open and a balding man stepped out. “Hi, Ma! Come on in.” Donna flashed her dentures at her son and then picked up her purse and shut the car door. He held the door while she made her way in.

“It’s so nice of you to do this, Paul dear.” Donna set her purse on an end table and picked it up again.

“It’s nothing, Ma. I wanted to. Are you doing okay?”

“Oh yes. It’s been hard, of course, but I’m managing. Now, who’s here already?”

Donna walked into the kitchen and bestowed hugs and kind murmurs on the family. Several women were busy arranging a veritable banquet (mostly supermarket-made delicacies, though it looked like someone had taken the time to bake a green bean casserole.) Donna began to ask if there wasn’t anything she could do, but Paul’s wife, Karen, gently disengaged the package of unopened paper plates from her hand and led her back to the living room.

Donna still had her purse, clutched tightly. She set it in her lap as Karen seated her in an armchair.

“Oh, do you want me to put that somewhere for you?”

“No thank you, sweetie. It’s fine right here.” She gave it a pat.

The squeaky screen door announced the arrival of another member of the Platt clan every few minutes. The scattered family slowly reunited, some frail and withered, some entering tired middle age, some granddaughters with babies of their own bouncing on their hips. To everyone’s hushed surprise, even Gina, Donna’s second cousin twice removed, showed up. The Platts hadn’t heard from Gina in years. Donna quickly estimated Gina’s age to be at least forty by now, which surely, Donna thought, must be too old for that dress. Gina stood by the door, chewing on her lip and casually examining the carpet until Paul jumped up to take her coat. The conversation slowly recovered.

People talked of the weather (the coldest September yet!), the economy (still haven’t found a job, huh?), the food (you’re sure this isn’t homemade?), and some even ventured into the dangerous area of politics (now hear me out!), but no one talked of, no one even looked at, what was displayed on a table in the corner.

The door screeched once more, and everyone looked up. Who wasn’t here already? “I do hope Rick’s coming,” Donna mumbled to herself. A man walked in, sporting a faded Yankees baseball cap and a paunch.

“Glad you could make it, Rick.” Paul gave his brother a hug.

“Yeah, sorry I’m late. I hope I didn’t miss it!”

Paul quickly shook his head. The room quieted.

“I just keep thinking,” Rick grinned, “that if it isn’t windy enough, we’ll just get out a leaf blower and –” Paul grabbed Rick’s elbow and led him away, under the premise of refreshment-serving. Gina stifled a laugh, or perhaps a cough.

Donna cleared her throat. “You know, if everyone’s here, we could get started.” She nodded towards the urn on the table. There was a general murmur of agreement, but nobody stood up. The conversation returned. Donna looked around and sighed.

Rick returned, beer in hand, and sat in the chair next to the urn. His uncle of eighty-two was sitting near him.

“Hey, Ted. How’re things going with you?”

Ted nodded his head for a while, apparently mulling over the question. “Oh, they’re going.” A boyish smirk came over his face. “At least I’m not in one of those yet, huh?” he pointed.

Rick laughed. “That’s for sure.” He picked up the urn. “Man, he sure is small. This all of him in here?”

The old man had to think about this too. “I would suspect so.”

Rick frowned and shook his finger at the urn. “Now Dad, you’ve really got to start eating more!” He gave a short laugh and then sighed and rubbed his face. He looked over at Uncle Ted, but he had nodded off.

Donna’s daughter Susan sat down next to Paul. “Hey, don’t you think we should get started soon?”

“Yeah,” he sighed. “Let’s let people finish eating first.”

Susan looked around; Ted was still working on his potato salad. “Out in the woods, huh?”

“I think he would’ve liked that, don’t you?” She nodded.

Donna leaned over to her sister, Lorraine. “When do you think we’ll scatter the ashes?”

Lorraine shrugged. “I couldn’t say. It’s getting rather late, though.”

“I know.” Donna sighed and fiddled with a purse strap. “I suppose they might just not be ready yet, you know?” Lorraine nodded sympathetically. “I don’t mind. I think he can wait.” She smiled a little as she looked toward the urn.

The chatter had fallen to a lull and people were casting anxious glances anywhere but the table in the corner. Donna opened her purse and pulled out several rubber-banded stacks of cards. “Who wants to play Trivial Pursuit?”

The Platts had a longstanding tradition of playing slightly modified Trivial Pursuit. The board and game pieces were deemed too fussy long ago. Instead, Donna would catch the attention of someone in the vicinity, read him or her a question (she had all the “good ones” marked,) and they get to hold onto the card if they got it right. After everyone is thoroughly sick of playing, the person with the most cards wins.

A halfhearted game was played. Even Gina answered a few questions. When the sun began to slant orange through the window, Lorraine woke up Ted and they went home. Donna caught Paul as he passed by with empty cups. “Paul dear, thank you so much again. I’m going to have to take off soon. There’s just one thing I have to do first.”

Donna found Karen doing dishes. “Are you busy, dear?”

Karen turned off the faucet and pushed away a strand of hair with her wrist. “Not at all.”

"You know,” Donna sat down at the kitchen table. “James and I read these trivia questions every evening. Can you believe that? You’d think we would have gotten pretty smart eventually,” she laughed. “Anyway, I just wanted you and Paul to have some.” She placed a stack firmly on the Formica table.

“Oh… okay.” Karen picked up the cards.

Donna passed out the rest of the cards to her children, her grandchildren, even Gina. She gave a last round of hugs. “Goodbye everybody! Thank you all for coming.” The door screech-slammed.

Susan looked down at the stack of cards she was holding. “What was that all about?”

Rick elbowed Paul. “I guess I didn’t get to use that leaf blower after all, huh?”

Paul frowned at him. “I guess we’ll have to take care of this some other time,” he addressed the remaining Platts.

Outside, Donna didn’t get in her in car. She walked around the house to the edge of woods. Standing on tiptoe, she placed the last card in the crook of a tree branch. “Goodbye, James.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:09 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hey prolixity! Sorry for the wait!

Interesting story here. I found it to be relate-able at least for me. The description of the family gathering and interactions between the family members kind of reminded me of my own family gatherings at my grandma's house and I could see how something like this could easily go down in ten years or so.

Here are my nitpicks:

Donna flashed her dentures at her son, and then picked up her purse, and shut the car door.


Donna set her purse on an end table and picked it up again.

Why would she set her purse down if she's going to immediately pick it back up again?

Donna walked into the kitchen and bestowed hugs and kind murmurs on (of?) the family.


Several women were busy

I would define who the women are. Are they aunts? Nieces? Sisters? Cousins? Friends?

Donna quickly estimated Gina’s age to be at least forty by now, which surely, Donna thought, must be too old for that dress.

Ha! Loved that description.

Susan looked around; Ted was still working on his potato salad. “Out in the woods, huh?”

This dialogue felt a little disjointed to me. I think it might sound better if you said "We'll do it out in the woods, huh?"

So overall I thought you did a nice job. There weren't any glaring grammar errors that I could see and it all flowed nicely. I get that this is meant to be a short piece but the one problem I had with it was that it felt fast. I could have used some more description and a slightly slower pace. I forgot who some of the family members were (and their names) and I didn't have a clear vision of the people or the setting (I just pictured my grandma's house) :) I think you already have some very clever descriptions that fit in with your tone and style perfectly so I guess try for more of that.

I thought the plot was interesting, I don't think I've read anything quite like it before, but it felt slightly anti-climatic to me. I really liked the idea of the trivial pursuit cards and how she handed them out and saved one as her final good-bye, but I think I would have liked it more if they had spread the ashes and then done that. Or if you really don't want them to spread the ashes yet, explain why more thoroughly. Are they afraid? Are they not ready to let go?

Your style and voice were great. I loved your use of language and careful descriptions. You are a good storyteller :)

Please let me know if you have any questions or if something didn't make sense!

-Carly




prolixity says...


Thanks for the great review! Very helpful. :D



User avatar
247 Reviews


Points: 3414
Reviews: 247

Donate
Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:14 pm
View Likes
Searria H. wrote a review...



I'm sorry it took me so long to come review, but I didn't see your request until this morning.

Of the three links you sent me, this one is my favourite. You did a great job of giving the reader a complete story and allowing him/her to connect with the characters in very few words. That always amazes me. :)

A Few Random Points:
1) I was a little curious as to why Paul had the urn and not Donna, or any of the other family members for that matter.
2) I kept waiting for more to happen with Donna's purse. Was it just the game cards that made her want to hold it the whole time?


Everything in this seemed so natural. Maybe it's because you were writing from experience. You did a very nice job of mentioning different things to give the reader insight into the family without telling us what to think. You made us feel the awkward discomfort and reluctance to address the grandfather's ashes without telling us how the family felt. Your characterization was great. (I wanted to slap Rick, by the way.)

The only thing that caught my attention with the actual writing was your series of parentheses when you list the different conversations. I can't decide whether I liked it or if it bothered me. I like the idea of it, but maybe it's more of a visual thing. It's like seeing a bunch of questions or exclamation points in a row. When you use a lot of an unusual punctuation at once, it stands out.


Oh! By the way, this was my favourite sentence in the whole piece:

Donna quickly estimated Gina’s age to be at least forty by now, which surely, Donna thought, must be too old for that dress.

I gained an immediate picture of Gina and her values all from that one comment from Donna. Brilliantly written. You deserve an elephant. :elephant: :D

Overall, I thought this was very well written with believable characters and their responses to the situation. If you have any questions or want to talk about this review, please feel free to let me know. I'm always happy to clarify or whatever. :)
Happy writing!
-Sea-




prolixity says...


I'm glad you liked it! And you brought up some good points, too. Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 1325
Reviews: 22

Donate
Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:19 am
View Likes
IrishFire18 wrote a review...



I really liked this story; it isn't something often seen on the site. It was really interesting to read.

Now, I like the story. There is a lot of loss and hurt, but people are laughing to get past that. I like how Donna gave her daughter-in-law some of those cards to maybe start the same tradition that she and James had. Donna said hello to everyone, though she kept to herself understandably. I like Rick's character -he's that one black sheep every family has. Reminds me of my own cousin. :)

I do think you could develope Donna's character a little more. What is she like? What are her feelings? How is everyone else really handling this man's death? Why is she wearing a turquoise sweater and not black?

I like how you threw the readers into the middle of the story and back-tracked to subtly tell the deeper story, and why the family was gathering together in the first place. I also like how you put in that one family member, Gina, who nobody is real comfortable around because she is just that different.

All in all, I liked this story. Keep writing. (:




prolixity says...


Thanks for the tip on Donna's characterization. I'll have to think about that.
Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 836
Reviews: 51

Donate
Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:49 pm
View Likes
azntwinz2 wrote a review...



First of all, this short story was very vivid and brief. Although we're thrown into it right away, you do a great job of introducing background information while progressing with the story. Good job, and now a review/critique.
To scope the bigger picture, I'm taking the liberty of writing out major plot details as well as what I interpreted them to mean.
I think a major theme of this story is continuity in the advent of change. What I mean, is that you include details of continuity such as, the card game, the screeching of the door (this happens throughout the story as well as near the end I think "The door screech-slammed"), the girl who wears a dress she's obviously too old for etc. The change in the story is the dad's death, and how his absence changes the situation of their life they are used to.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about their reaction to that change though. You have the more distant family quite awkward about the sensitive nature of his passing away (by not looking at the corner of the table) and then a more immediate family (his sons, wife, brother(the old guy who fell asleep)) who are quite able to deal with the situation with humor, calmness, and decisiveness. While it does provide a stark contrast between the distant relatives and immediate family, their calm natures make me wonder how long this man has passed away, and if he prepared them for his death before he died. Of course, this is just me reading into the story.
About Rick's joke (very ingenious) I didn't get it until I read this story over again, because I hadn't realized at the time that they were going to disperse of his ashes. I think that it was a good addition to the story though, just because it made me go ah ha thats what he meant!
For me, I think the best part of this story was the conclusion, in which Donna disperses the card stack to the family, and places the last one in the tree. It seems as though he lives on through the memory of the cards, and that this somehow balances out their reluctance to let go of his ashes. On that note, I wonder, would it not be better if they WERE to spread out his ashes? The balance, or idea of his ashes lost but the memory of them gained through the cards would be much more clear. Furthermore, it would strengthen your theme of continuity in the advent of change. (For example, the Platt family deals with the change of dispersing of his ashes by continuing their love and memory of him with his favorite stack of cards.)
All in all, this was a wonderful little piece packed with a lot of emotion and meaning that was not always apparent.




prolixity says...


Thanks for the review! I liked your interpretation of it. Actually, it's based on my actual family and my grandpa's death. It's interesting you suggested having them scatter the ashes. I've had someone else tell me that, too. That's the crazy thing I was trying to show, though. My whole family got together to scatter my grandpa's ashes, but they were too awkward and sad to actually do it. And then my grandma took things into her own hands and starts giving away her Trivial Pursuit cards. I'm not sure what I could do to get this across better...
Thanks again!




Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour