z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

deathless death

by praagna


I always thought life was an assemble of great stories and that everyone you meet or encounter are characters in their story, each with a mind and soul of their own and somehow intertwined with each other's life and I was a sucker for great stories. My life so far has been a crazy journey. I've literally experienced everything one should, pain, success, failure, loss, but not love, or that's what people used to say. I didn't believe in love, I thought it was a fantasy, a type of liking that kills. Even though I lived in New York, a city densely populated by ambition, I'd never come across someone worth that kind of liking......... until I met the girl in the red scarf.

Let me tell you about her, she was five foot six, beautiful and had shiny brunette locks. She walked with such confidence, like her hips could move mountains, she either dressed in a completely neutral or completely floral outfit with a splash of vibrant colours. If anyone saw her, they'd be convinced that's she's a cheerleader, fashion major or a party whore, but she was different. She kept to herself, read Russian poetry and was an Ivy league graduate. Her attitude and her sarcastic nature made her even hotter, not like Kendall Jenner hot, but like mysteriously poetic hot.

My first encounter with her was during the Brooklyn Book festival which was held at the Brooklyn Borough Hall, during the September of 2013. She wore a dark blue colored dress with a red scarf and attended one of the panel discussions. Her command over the language and her cautiously clumsy behavior caught my attention. On the second day, I decided to approach her, she was standing at the edge of the footpath, waving her hand to and fro to motion for a taxi to stop, I fixed my tie, walked up to her and introduced myself and she shook my hand, her lips stretched into a faint smile.

She said, "I' d tell you my name but it isn't necessary" and disappeared into the sparkling skyline. A few weeks passed by but I couldn't forget her, she had me wrapped in her enigma. I remember how her hazel colored eyes glistened in a way that made me melt. Neither did I know her name nor did I know her alma mater. I moved on with my life; soccer, math and college kept me busy but I didn't forget her or her red cashmere scarf.

It was during the Summer of '14, I was done with my semester and I was extremely tired from pulling all-nighters, so I decided to sleep through the weekend. After about 48 hours of undisturbed sleep, I woke up to an empty campus. Still sleep-deprived, I decided to go for a run outside the campus. So I ran for about 3 miles and stopped near the small café in Lower Manhattan, I walked inside towards the counter and ordered myself a tex-mex sandwich and a pumpkin latte. I scanned the small café, it had a modest size wooden round table surrounded by 4 chairs, abstract paintings hung tightly on the pale colored wall and there was a foosball machine across the counter but that wasn't what caught my attention; it was a girl, sitting near the window and reading a book. It was the girl in the red scarf.

I walked over to her table and planted my tray on the table, "May I? " I asked, my hands glued on the chair. She looked at me, it was one of those explicable eye contacts and that was immediately overanalyzed. "It's a free country" she replied, clearly hinting me to join her and without hesitation I took a sit from across her. We immediately clicked, we had similar interests, she studied at UPENN, I studied at NYU, she didn't tell me her name, she still believed it was unnecessary, so she called me blue tie. From that day, we met every Saturday morning at 10.00 am and correctly at 5 past 12 she'd walk away, we didn't exchange numbers or identities, I asked her once, why and she said " I don't want you to fall in love with me", I did not understand her theories or her habits, but her charm had an effect on me that wasn't healthy.

It wasn't love, it wasn't friendship either. It was a feeling that couldn't be defined. She slipped through the woods with me, she walked around NYC, read me poems at odd hours, went to the arcade with me and sent me quotes on life, everyday. She found solace in words and I found solace in her. She was like lager. Hot, addictive and fatal when overdosed. She occasionally spoke about her family, her father was a publisher and her mother a homemaker. We'd talk about books, movies, phsyics and sometimes even about George Clooney. Often, she told me stories about herself, stories from when she travelled to India and how she broke her leg from falling off from a camel. She seemed shy and introverted but turned out she'd had exciting stories of herself. She was sneaky, smart, bitter, destructive and paradise. I held on to her, even though she had a strict policy of getting too close but I got impatient and approached her one day about her identity, she tore a piece of paper from her monogrammed CU notebook and scribbled something on it, dropped it in my jeans pocket and asked me to read it only after she left, She tiptoed and gave me a peck on the cheek and walked away from me and I could spot her Orange trench coat in the distance, glowing dimmer and dimmer with seconds and when she completely disappeared, I took out the piece of paper and what was in there, left me gasping for air.

DEAR BLUE TIE,

I'M GRADUATING AND I LEAVE FOR CHICAGO TOMMOROW, I'D TELL YOU MY NAME BUT IT WOULD'NT BE POETIC WHEN YOU WRITE A BOOK ABOUT ME. IF WE EVER CROSS PATHS 20 YEARS FROM NOW, I WANT TO SEE YOU AS A SUCCESSFUL LAWYER IN AN ARMANI SUIT.

LOVE,

THE GIRL IN THE RED SCARF.

It's been 10 years now and I still have that piece of paper in the back pocket of my Armani suit. I've had it had through out; graduation, job interviews, the day I opened my own law firm, my wedding day and I still wonder about her, she's like a riddle, a rhyme that no one understood and every night, when I stand on my balcony in Chicago, over-looking the city, I wonder, "What if?"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
97 Reviews


Points: 114
Reviews: 97

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:08 pm
View Likes
acm wrote a review...



Great job! I loved the metaphors in it and how your narrator's voice really shone through. It was a very unique idea, and I thought the story was really good. I just have a few things I would change:

-

I always thought life was an assemble of great stories and that everyone you meet or encounter are characters in their story, each with a mind and soul of their own and somehow intertwined with each other's life and I was a sucker for great stories.


I really like the idea of this sentence, but grammatically, it needs a bit of work.
1. Commas: I think there needed to be a few commas and periods to break this sentence up. Otherwise, it's a run-on.
2. The repetition of the word story and stories sort of broke the flow even though they are slightly different words. The word story could be taken out to make it easier to read.
3. Maybe change the tenses all to past just to keep it consistent.
In the end, it would look like this:

I always thought life was an assemble of great stories, and that everyone you met or encountered are the characters. Each had a mind and soul of their own and were somehow intertwined with each other's lives. And the thing is, I was a sucker for great stories.

-
I'd never come across someone worth that kind of liking......... until I met the girl in the red scarf.


This is a bit nitpicky, but I think it's best to stick with the original three dots.

-
I'M GRADUATING AND I LEAVE FOR CHICAGO TOMMOROW, I'D TELL YOU MY NAME BUT IT WOULD'NT BE POETIC WHEN YOU WRITE A BOOK ABOUT ME.


1. Just two small spelling mistakes: tomorrow is spelled with one M and two Rs and wouldn't is spelled with the with the apostrophe after the N.
2. Maybe replace the comma after TOMORROW with a period so it isn't a run-on.

Other than that, there were just a few small things to fix. I really liked the story, especially its witty lines. I had a few favorites from the Girl in the Red Scarf! Overall, great job!



Random avatar
praagna says...


Hey thank you for your review, you actually rephrased my sentences better! I will pay attention more to punctuation and grammar, I guess I was a bit flimsy with this. Thanks for the pointers, they're helpful and alsp would you like to edit my works?



User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm
View Likes
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here for a review and to welcome you to YWS! I haven’t read ThePhoenix’s review, so this is purely my own opinion. Bear in mind that this is only one reader’s suggestions, and other reviewers might say something different. Hopefully my feedback will be helpful, and won’t discourage you from writing. :)

My first impression of this story is that it really shows your talent. It was an interesting, fresh romantic story that has a huge amount of potential. However, this could do with some polishing. Nothing too ominous, but I do have a few tips which should hopefully improve what you’ve got here.

Let’s start with your title. Personally, I didn’t like the title. It didn’t really have enough of a link to the story. Sometimes it’s quite effective to have a completely unrelated title, but I reckon that nine times out of ten it’s best for the reader to have at least some idea of what they’re in for when they read this. Maybe “Red Scarf”, “The Girl in the Red Scarf”, “I Always Thought”, “Armani” or perhaps “What If?” If you don’t like any of these suggestions however, you don’t have to take them! :D

Secondly, your paragraph formatting is slightly incorrect. For example:

"May I? " I asked, my hands glued on the chair. She looked at me, it was one of those explicable eye contacts and that was immediately overanalyzed. "It's a free country" she replied


The two characters speak in the same paragraph. It’s good practice (as well as correct) to create a new paragraph every time the speaker changes.

Thirdly, your comma splices:

she'd walk away, we didn't exchange numbers or identities, I asked her once, why


You join up a load of unrelated clauses with commas, which is grammatically incorrect. Here is a really useful article which should show you why this is wrong, and suggest better ways to do it.

Finally, your paragraphs. They’re really long, and the reader doesn’t want to be confronted with a giant block of text. As a rule I’d suggest no more than five sentences to a paragraph.

And one more tiny point – when you have numbers, particularly low ones, I’d write them out in their word form so it feels more literary.

Other than that, I really liked it. Keep writing, and feel free to let me know if you ever need anything else reviewed! :)




User avatar
63 Reviews


Points: 5915
Reviews: 63

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:02 pm
ThePhoenix wrote a review...



Hello there!
I'm here because I really want to finish RevMo (FOUR MORE REVIEWS!). Anyway, I really liked this. I liked the concept, but there are some things I would like to point out. They can be found in the spoiler below.

Stuff

Spoiler! :
First of all, having big paragraphs isn't a bad thing. But there is such a thing as "too much". An example is your seventh paragraph. It's too big and kinda trails on, and may make the reader bored with all the words. Try splitting it up into smaller paragraphs.

Another thing is, why did you put her letter in all capitals? If you wanted it to stand out or tell the reader that it is directly from the main character's life,\ then just use italics, as many do with these sorts of text.
Besides, putting it in caps just makes it seem like she's shouting. Like she's leaving on a ship or something...

Also, when you have two characters dialogue, don't put them on the same line or else it gets confusing. Every time a different person talks, put it on a separate paragraph.


and sent me quotes on life, everyday.


If they never exchanged numbers, then how did she send him quotes? Did you mean "told me" instead?


" I don't want you to fall in love with me", I did not understand her theories or her habits,


I don't want to be mean but... this is a horrible reason for not even giving your name. Just because she doesn't want him to fall in love with her? I'm not saying the reason is horrible. I'm saying the reason for the reason is horrible (does that make sense?).
I'm trying to say, you don't need a name to fall in love with someone. I know your character says that it couldn't be described as love, but as I don't have another word to describe it, we're settling for love. Even as she says this, she's only pushing him deeper into love. He's already madly in love with her when she says this.
Wow, I said, "love" a lot there.
Did I sound too harsh? Did my reasoning make sense?
And I know you said that he doesn't understand her theories or habits, but that sounds like he's referring to something else rather than her answer.

One more thing. I don't quite understand the title and its relation to the actual story. My guess is that it's poetic in a way, but I'd still like to know your reason for calling this piece "deathless death".
Also, since it's a title, you should probably capitalise the beginning letters of the words.


I think that's about it. I've basically said all that I wanted to say about this. Please don't take any offense, this was honestly a really good piece. And I'm not sure if this is based off something but honestly, it's really good.
:D

Bye!



Random avatar
praagna says...


Hey, thankyou for your honest review. I will be more careful about punctuation and grammar. As for as the tittle, 'Deathless Death' is something that kills you without actual dying. It's a metaphor, not knowing where she is or not being able to spend time with her is killing him. That's the reason, why I titled it 'Deathless Death'




I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath