White Raven, beginning portion

by powerofwords2008

It blinked its fierce eyes as it shifted its gaze from one scene to the next. The time had almost come for the act to take place. The countdown began, feeding on the force of its rage and anger as the eye’s focus turned to the tall girl dressed in pure silken gown who sat ever near the water’s edge. Her tears fell, causing a ripple effect which went on for a moment only to fade away as had her cries for help in the night, and because of that she also was angry.

A fish surfaced belly up in the hour when day and night embraced each other in loving embrace, only the embrace of night seemed more constraining, forcing from day her very breath. A rough wind began, causing her gown to whip about her forcefully as she brought herself to her feet. She was nearly blown away by the force. In that moment also, birds began to take flight from the brush and trees and she knew without a doubt that something was about to go terribly wrong.

The countdown reached zero and the ground upon which she stood was destroyed by the power of the collision of nuclear missiles. The last thing she saw before her body was destroyed, was the eye of the white raven as it flew down toward her and sucked into itself her spirit. And she became the white raven.

The white raven was the symbol of their society. The society of the United World after the fourth world war.

It had been assumed that after the missiles collided, nothing would be left and that no one would survive. As it turned out however, people did survive.—if it could even be considered surviving.

Two thirds of the world’s population was destroyed. Completely destroyed. That included mothers, brothers, fathers, sisters, aunts, uncles and countless others within that number. Not even the third that survived made it through truly, because one half of them underwent genetic mutations that left them less than human, deformed and without any sense of right and wrong. For them it was only what was right for their collective—those that were like them and even then there was a great deal of treachery and deceit amongst their ranks.

And those that lived—those who could be said to have truly lived were left without homes and had to scavenge for what food they could find without the benefit of a set leader. That is…until the white raven selected him.

It was the white raven who had selected there king and even right away the people themselves did not accept him. There were still fights amongst themselves as well as amongst those of the badlands which made it nearly impossible to sleep without watching over your shoulder for your enemies and in some cases even those you viewed as friends.

This senseless way of life went on for two years, until the people began to come to their senses, nearly too late to save them from those of the badlands who sought to pose war against them. But on the night when they were to attack, the people had been ready and had come together under their king, mustering enough power to drive those of the badlands back behind the mountain which was their marker.

They did this only to find that on the next day the raven was nowhere to be found.

They searched high and low for the white raven until the day when a boy found the white raven, dead, four eggs beneath her wings.

Immediately after this discovery, the eggs were taken to be protected; with the thought in mind that the lack of their presence would eventually mean that the people would forget her. And as they had said, so it happened. The years passed and after twenty years the white raven was forgotten, left to be nothing but a myth through The Community.

The eggs eventually hatched, and that was kept a secret also and they all continued to stay on in their same place—all that is except one. Only three of the four turned out to have their mother’s power, but one of the three was more powerful than all the rest and so consumed the powers of one of the others. Concerned for the safety of the weaker white raven, they took the stronger to a place to be cared for where he would no longer be any danger to his sisters.

Sureal wrote a review...

Her tears fell, causing a ripple effect which went on for a moment only to fade away as had her cries for help in the night, and because of that she also was angry.

I tripped over this sentence. It’s needlessly clumsy and rather hard to read: you might wanna revise it. Here’s my personal suggestion , to give an example:

‘Her tears fell, causing a ripple which went on for a moment only to fade away, just as had her cries for help had faded away, and for that she was also angry.’

In that moment also, birds began to take flight from the brush and trees and she knew without a doubt that something was about to go terribly wrong.

The bolded part is too passive for my liking. ‘bird took flight’ is far more active, and reads better. =)

The countdown reached zero and the ground [s]upon which she stood[/s] was destroyed by [s]the power of[/s] the collision of nuclear missiles. The last thing she saw before her body was destroyed[s],[/s] was the eye of the white raven, as it flew down toward her and sucked [s]into itself[/s] her spirit into itself. And she became the white raven.

Suggestions above. Bolded is stuff I suggest you add in, striked-out stuff I think should be removed.

Not even the third that survived truly made it through [s]truly[/s], because [s]one[/s] half of them underwent genetic mutations that left them less than human, deformed and without any sense of right [s]and[/s] or wrong.

Again, suggestions above.

For them it was only what was right for their collective—those that were like them and even then there was a great deal of treachery and deceit amongst their ranks.

Sounds the same as normal humans to me, to be honest. :?

It was the white raven who had selected [s]there[/s] their king and even right away the people themselves did not accept him.

Typo: you used the wrong ‘there/their/they’re’.

[s]There were still fights[/s] They still fought amongst themselves, as well as [s]amongst[/s] against those of the badlands, which made it [s]nearly[/s] impossible for them to sleep without watching over [s]your[/s] their shoulder for [s]your[/s] enemies. [s]and in some cases even those you viewed as friends.[/s]

Okay, I’ve made some pretty extensive suggestions here, so I guess I’d best explain myself. =)

1) I changed ‘there were still fights’ to ‘they still fought’, as the sentence didn’t actually make sense as it was. Read it again to yourself to see what I mean.

2) I assume those of the badlands are not the same as the collective ‘themselves’, so I changed the ‘amongst’ to ‘against’.

3) I deleted the adverb ‘nearly’, as qualifiers like this usually aren’t needed. I think the sentence reads better without it, and has a greater impact too.

4) It felt very odd that you suddenly started using a ‘you’, especially since you’d been using a ‘them’ just prior to that (the ‘fights amongst themselves’ bit), so I toyed around with it a little to change all the ‘you’s into ‘their’s.

5) I deleted the final part because it didn’t actually make sense to me. You watch over your shoulder for those you view as friends? Surely, if you view them as friends, you wouldn’t watch over your shoulder for them, even though really you should.

This senseless way of life went on for two years, until the people began to come to their senses, nearly too late to save them from those of the badlands who sought to pose war against them.

1) Repetition of ‘sense’. You might want to change one of them.

2) ‘Pose’ war? I mean, it’s technically correct (pose is indeed a synonym for ‘create’), but it strikes me as a weird way of saying it.

mustering enough power to drive those of the badlands back behind the mountain, which was their marker.

They searched high and low for the white raven until the day when a boy found [s]the white raven[/s] it, dead, four eggs beneath her wings.

Avoid needless repetition.

Immediately after this discovery, the eggs were taken to be protected; with the thought [s]in mind[/s] that the lack of their presence would eventually mean that the people would forget her.

all that is, except one.

------

I thought this started off interestingly enough, and then it fell into an info dump of backstory, that I think you really don’t need. Personally, if I were you, I’d skip this introduction altogether, and start the story with its actual beginning (which will presumably be the next part?) and reveal this back story throughout the course of the novel.

Also, watch out for weird sentence structures that can trip up your reader. Oftentimes, simpler is better.

As I said, the opening was good. Very weird, almost trippy as Pattycakes put it, and I really enjoyed that part.

Keep on writing. =)

-- Sureal

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:53 pm
Cian Hywel wrote a review...

Hey, I really like the idea. This is a really good pioneering of the world of your story. I want to hear more about the raven without the power (what is that by the way?) and the stronger raven. And who is the boy?

Basically, you have me intrigued. Keep on writing and rewriting! :)

Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 pm

thank you Pattycakes. i'll take your suggestions into mind.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:46 am
Pattycakes wrote a review...

The first couple paragraphs are pretty cool, they're well written and gripping. After that the deal with the raven is kinda trippy but I guess I could get into it. It falls a little flat at the end though, where the really sweet fighter shows up. If you're going to write this as a kinda back of the novel summery which is sort of what it is you probably shouldn't use it to introduce characters, rather just set up the background with it.

The reason is you waste the meeting between these two which could've been part of a really gripping opening, and instead just show it one sentence. In addition, prove to me how sweet of a fighter this guy is, let me see him in action, don't just tell me.

I thought your writing was really strong in the beginning but kinda weirdly got weaker as the chapter regressed, there were some sentences near the end that bothered me. I can point them out later if you want me too.

But still, pretty cool idea. Nice work!

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables