z

Young Writers Society



The Campfire

by piepiemann22


Campfire that burns,
a sign of hope.
Allowing us to see,
to feel from the heart.

The light that glows,
giving all peace.
A sense of kindness,
a feeling for justice.

Warmth that's given off,
calming the soul.
We shall sleep,
rest for a new day.

The sound of crackling,
giving a sense of joy.
A smile on every one's faces
as they clap to the beat.

Everyone around the campfire,
sing many songs.
They found the joy they seek,
coming from their love within.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
185 Reviews


Points: 1175
Reviews: 185

Donate
Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:17 am
piepiemann22 says...



At least I'm getting there.




User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 5688
Reviews: 254

Donate
Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:11 am
BFG wrote a review...



I agree with snoink, and I also think your poetry is improving noticably - it's really great the way you take people's suggestions and constructive criticism and work with it. :D My own suggestion for this poem would be to enhance the parts of the poem where you're describing the campfire - those were the bits that were the most powerful, I thought, but they lacked reality a little. They seemed almost too perfect to be real. At the campfires and bonfires my family has, everyone isn't always smiling, we're usually teasing someone about something, someone is typically wandering around in the dark bumping into things looking for a marshmallow stick, my pessimistic uncle is probably reminding us that it'll rain tonight and we should pack up soon, and while we do lots of singing, especially when my sister brings her violin and my dad's got his guitar, it rarely happens that we all sit around clapping to the beat, since someone's goofing off and my grandpa is tone deaf and my cousin and aunt can't sing worth beans, or even clap a simple rhythm. More specific details would paint for us a less generic picture, and I think that would lend emphasis to your poem.


^^^Sorry that's so long, I got a little distracted from the point... :lol:




User avatar
185 Reviews


Points: 1175
Reviews: 185

Donate
Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:43 am
piepiemann22 says...



I'll try that next time, thanks.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:26 am
Snoink wrote a review...



Don't be so preachy. This is just reeking of "I'm going to tell you how you should feel and how you should look at life." For poetry, this is a big no-no. Instead of telling us what you want to say, tell us what reminds you of what you want to say. If the image, memory, smell, sense, etc., is strong enough, we'll get the hint without you pounding a sledge hammer on our heads, as you're doing now.





Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud