ghost in the machine

by phantasm

i started moving on before i learned to walk. my
mind escaped reality but my body rooted itself down.
by this i mean i do not know how to heal properly,
only to be minimized to broken bones and beg for a revival.
call me a damsel drowning in distress. call me a
nightmare of my own invention. i do not know how to
fix something that has never worked, only to make
myself empty, carve myself into a hollow sculpture.
watch me, judge me, but do not touch me. i am fragile, frigid,
fractured. i am a question etched into the night, timid
for an answer on my own undoing. i cannot justify
my existence because i'm not sure i exist outside of
myself. so i will stay here, slip silently into the shadows of
my mind, become like a ghost: easily erasable, but always
haunting.

summerdepressionexe wrote a review...

Hi there figmoon! I have a quick review for you! (disregard how disorganized this is, just a few thoughts of mine as I read)

"i started moving on before I learned to walk"
CHILLS! That line is an amazing start that sets a clear scene for readers. It also provides insight into how the 'journey' of this poem began and is quite easy to build on; awesome job!

In addition, throughout the entire poem you utilize beautiful imagery which paints an amazing picture, especially in the line: "carve myself into a hollow sculpture"!

I wondered why you structured your lines the way they are? Is there a specific way you chose when to go to the next line, because I do not see any clear pattern?

Moving on, I absolutely ADORED the way you symbolized brokenness and healing throughout this poem, specifically in the line: "i do not know how to heal properly, only to be minimized to broken bones and beg for a revival"

Your ending was also beautiful, painting an amazing picture of how you will deal with this; enacting your own personal resolution, even if it may not be the best of options. Your last sentence also seems to wrap up the loose ends and serves as a chilling, yet sorrowful ending.

Overall, this poem was absolutely beautiful and gave me soooo many feels. Have a nice day and keep writing! <3

Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:59 am
rida wrote a review...

Hi figmoon! Rida here with a quick review <33
I’m just jotting down some random thoughts, so I’m sorry if it’s a little unorganised ~

-> I really liked how the poem started off with -

“ i started moving on before i learned to walk. my /
mind escaped reality but my body rooted itself down.”

Because I feel like this clarifies the central emotion in the poem and then allows you to build and add onto that. Basically- these lines provided a really strong base to start off the poem, which isn’t something I usually notice but your starting lines were so good they immediately drew me into the piece!

-> The next lines had some beautiful imagery, but I got a little confused at

“…broken bones and beg for a revival”

Because I’m a bit unsure of what ‘revival’ means here- does it symbolise healing? A new beginning? Or does it have a darker, sinister theme to it?
This line has a lot of potential to shift the mood of the poem- light or sinister- if you clarify or add details to hint at the theme. Right now, ‘revival’ doesn’t really hint at a specific theme which might possibly make the reader a little confused.

-> I don’t think I’ve ever loved a line more than I’ve loved these lines in your poem:

“ i do not know how to
fractured.”

This line immediately makes me actually think of broken sculptures and I suppose it’s because of the strong imagery and wording of the poem. I think your choice of using ‘do not’ instead of ‘don’t’ worked really well here!!
And then your sudden use of alliteration (‘..fragile, frigid, fractured..’) which is done so blatantly and comes off so strongly just adds to the line even more!!

-> ok so I love the ending lines but these specific line felt a little out of place to me-

“ my mind, become like a ghost: easily erasable, but always
haunting.”

Maybe because of the use of simile? Like- the comparison and theme of ‘ghosts’ is so strong in the poem but using ‘like’ might downplay it just a little? Idk, maybe if you switch it to a metaphor like ‘become a ghost’ it would make the comparison more direct and dramatic and put that emphasis in the line?

-> Overall- I loved this poem so much because it’s imagery was so beautiful and efficient in creating a ‘mood’ or ‘atmosphere’- one of my favourite things about a poem that I feel plays a major part in how the emotions and messages are being put across! Thank you so much for sharing this poem! I hope to read more of your work soon!<333333

-Rida

looseleaf wrote a review...

hey figmoon! looseleaf here with a quick review.

i really liked this poem! your theme and overall message are pretty good; they kind of spoke to me (y'know? lol). i love how you didn't capitalize anything and have a lot of periods/sentence breaks, they helped the theme and tone of your poem!

your opening line is incredible--i honestly couldn't think of anything better. it is a great metaphor that sets the stage for the rest of the poem. same with the next sentence!

my mind escaped reality but my body rooted itself down.

i agree with at @spatula that "rooted" is a great word. my only issue is that "escaped" is not sitting right with me. i don't know why. maybe "avoided" or "evaded"? feel free to ignore this if you like your word choice.

the next couple of lines are great! they explain the plot/mood of the poem very clearly.

nightmare of my own invention.

love these lines! love the twist on common sayings.

fractured.

i like the first sentence; it's good. the second sentence feels rushed and totally out of place. honestly, just saying "i am fragile, frigid, and fractured." would make a difference.

i am a question etched into the night, timid
for an answer on my own undoing

clunky again. i love what you're trying to say, but i think you could get rid of timid through undoing.

the next lines are good! i have no comments except that you do a wonderful job with imagery and sticking to one tone. i can not tell you how often i deviate from the tone i mean to stick to. ;(

become like a ghost: easily erasable, but always
haunting.

ok, hear me out: i don't know if a ghost is "easily erasable." i can see what you're going for, and i like it, but it's not the right word. perhaps change it to "never seen" or "never understood"? anything you think would fit into your overall theme.

anyways, that's all i have! overall, i really like it. i think you have a great message and it's very poetic with your imagery and all that-i just think you can be more concise and less clunky. please feel free to disregard any of my critiques if you don't like them!

have a good day and keep writing!

dissonance wrote a review...

hey there figmoon!

your poetry is so lovely to read, so i figured i'd leave a review ~

i started moving on before i learned to walk.

OUCH.

this really sets the scene. it's angsty and bittersweet, but it's also nostalgic. i absolutely love the usage of ghosts and the like in poetry because it's so naturally raw, and that's exactly what this poem is. moving on is complicated, but in a way, it's taught and passed down generations. this is a wonderful first line, and it's one of the more powerful ones. it's short, but it still packs quite the punch. good stuff.

i love how the word "rooted" is used here! it reminds me of a family tree, even though the poem may not represent that. i see a lot of references to familial ties/ancestry/generational trauma throughout this poem, but the narrator is moving on. or well, they think they could move on.

i think this is a great line, especially with the "beg for a revival" part. there's just something off about the "by this i mean i do not know how to heal properly" line to me though? it doesn't have the same cadence; it feels very literal when the rest of the poem is very allegorical and metaphorical. i love how it works into the broken bones/hollow sculpture/fragility aspect, but i'm not sure about the wording.

call me a damsel drowning in distress.

i'm not an alliteration fan, but i love this line! it really complements your voice.

i do not know how to
fix something that has never worked

i feel like this is similar to the "heal properly" line; "fix something that has never worked" sounds very clunky. they are very muted verbs in a poem that is rich with description, and i don't think it's the best phrase you could use. i like the idea behind it, and it works well with the theme! i think the execution could be done a little better.

i cannot justify
my existence because i'm not sure i exist outside of myself.

okay so once again OUCH. this hit me hard, and it's stuck with me every single time i've reread this. it's existential, but that's a vibe. out of all of the poetry i've read, this has to be one of my favourite lines. like in general. ever.

become like a ghost: easily erasable, but always haunting.

ah yes poetic ghosts, my beloved.

what a beautiful way to conclude this! i love the way you tied the ending back to the beginning; like in "my mind escaped reality but my body rooted itself down" and "so i will stay here, slip silently into the shadows of my mind" especially. the narrator was never going to leave, but it's more about the possibility that they might've.

anyways wow i love poetry. keep writing it.

best,
spatula

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time