z

Young Writers Society



Lifeless Friends(continued) Part 1

by peanut19


Spoiler! :
I got an amazing response to "Lifeless Friends" and this is an add onto the first part I posted. I'm still debating on whether or not to make this into a novel or novella. I just love the characters so much. This isn't as edited as the other part because I wrote this after the writing conference for my creative writing class.The only part I'm a little concerned with is toward the end when Luke is talking about his dad. Help with that would be much appreciated. I hope you like it. It's mostly back story for Luke. Enjoy!

~peanut~

“It’s pitch black out here; you know that, right?” Luke’s face is lost in the darkness, no flashlight to light our way. “Then why didn’t you bring a light?”

“You’re the oldest; you’re supposed to think of stuff like that. So I didn’t bother.” I roll my eyes, wishing I could see my foster brother so I could slap him. I pause trying to think of something to say, a witty retort that will leave Luke speechless.

“What are we doing anyway?” he whines, I imagine his face childlike, his lips stuck out stubbornly, like how he gets when he has to take care of the babies.

“Mr. Fillips needs some one to come get the dog from their house. It died yesterday and Jessi’s not supposed to find out.” A stick rolls under foot as my shoe moves forward, a tiny limb sticking into its rubber sole.

“Why do we have to do it?” Luke asks. He walks beside me, hand hitting my leg as his arm shoots forward then back with each stride.

“Because Mama said to,” I can see the light from the moon, bouncing off the tin roof of the Fillips’ big house in the distance.

“I wish I didn’t live here. Then I wouldn’t have to go in the woods at night for a stupid dead dog.”

“Mama owes him; you know that.” I stop. “Luke,” I ask my voice louder than it should be in the dimness, trees caging in the sound. “Why did you have to come live with Mama?” I can hear him kicking twigs beside me; they roll over the dirt, bumping along until a rock stops them in their tracks.

“Dad wasn’t very… good,” Luke says. “I don’t know how to explain it. That was a long time ago. He stopped being good after Mom died. She kept him good. She was the good one.” He is mumbling, words hitting the ground, being absorbed by the dirt instead of my ears. But I hear most of what he says. I can pick out the sadness as his words tumble out, then the small hint of happiness at the end. “You’re good like she was, Lace…”

The corners of my lips try to move, a smile flickers then fades. Good, I think, since when has that been true? I put my arm around his shoulders, feeling his hair under my hand, soft. If I could see it it would be a dull shade of gold in the moonlight. My fingers rustle it, getting buried in the thickness.

“You are too, Luke. You’re nothing like your dad was.” I pause, my hand falling back to my side. The farm house is closer now. Bright lights on the edges of the porch illuminate green shutters that open around dark windows. To the left the Fillips’s barn stands, doors open.

The lights in the barn are the brightest. Cords of lights hang from rafters and lie like orange snakes across the hay that covers the ground. As I walk closer I can see Mr. Fillips sitting on a hay bale, a blue tarp at his feet.

“Oh, my God,” Luke freezes in the doorway, his feet half on the dirt ground outside and half on the hay. I glance back at him, his eyes staring straight at the dog. I shudder as his eyes fill with tears.

“You all right, son?” Mr. Fillips is studying Luke, looking him up and down then back at me. His eyebrows crease, eyes getting lost below them. His lips purse, holding back other questions. I study him, not wanting to look back at the dog whose middle is flattened, ribs stabbing through broken skin. Its skull smashed into the plastic, blood coats its face like a mask. Its tongue licks the air, like it’s trying to get one last drop of life from the breath of the living.

Luke shuffles forward then nods at Mr. Fillips when he stops beside me.

“Didn’t expect Mama Maxwell to send you young’ns out here.” Mr. Fillips stands, stepping in front of the body, shielding our eyes from it. Luke’s hand is cold against my flesh, clammy and wet, slipping down my wrist. His nails dig ditches into my skin, five crescents waning.

“Luke, stop.” I whisper, my voice catches in my throat. Afraid to look at him I pull his fingers apart. My eyes flicker quickly toward Luke and then back to Mr. Fillips who is staring now. He shakes his head then looks back toward the dog. His overalls creak, the buttons straining when he bends over, pulling the blue tarp over the collie’s head. Her dead eyes can’t see us anymore.

Behind us a horse whinnies, scraping its hoofs in the hay. The hay murmurs on the wood, filling up the silence. Luke jolts beside me, his shoes bury into the hay as he scoots jumps forward. I hit his arm to keep him from going any further.

“Y’all just gonna drag it, or what?” Mr. Fillips asks looking at the thing we are being forced to carry back through the trees and darkness, back to where Mama is waiting to try to salvage it. He pulls on the plastic, to see how difficult it will be to carry.

I stare, trying to think of how strong I am, wondering if I will be carrying Luke, too.

“I can drag it,” I say, looking back at Luke. He looks like he is going to pass out. The picture of shattered skull and blood crusted fur is still stuck in the hay that his eyes are trained on. I blink, waiting for his eyes to move, for him to come back to reality, back to this nightmare.

“Y’all gotta hurry. It’s almost light. Jessi’ll be up to feed the animals soon. Don’t want the mutt scarin’ her.” A light flips on, on the lower floor of the house, burning through the curtain. “Here, take this,” Mr. Fillips grabs a flash light that sits, dusty, on a shelf full of oats and an assortment of brushes. He clicks it once, checking to see if the batteries work and then curses. The light sputters, trying to catch the spark of the double A battery’s life and then it slipping through its grasp. It dies and the beam of light it managed to cough out vanishes; the hay turns orange again in the lights that hang from the beams that separate us from the dark sky.

“We can walk back fine,” I look outside where the sunlight is starting to pull down the night. We made it here in the dark, I think, why would you give us a light now? “Luke, are you ready to go?” I shake his arm, trying to get him to look at me. His chin tilts up slightly and his hair moves out of his eyes. A tear falls out of his eyes when he blinks. He nods his head and the tear slips off his cheek, tripping over the air until it hits the hay.

Mr. Fillips is tapping his foot. He keeps staring at the house and I clinch my teeth. I can’t say anything. My tongue flaps hitting my gums, wanting desperately to say something to him. I don’t. I move, my converse leaving a trampled trail where I step until I get to the dog.

It smells. Iron and wet fur. The stench clings to my nose, over powering the reek of manure and horses. I hold my breath until my lungs burn. But it’s long enough to drag the tarp to the barn door. Mr. Fillips is still watching me, waiting for Luke to move, with his hand on the light switch, fingers already pinching the plastic. He wants us out but is too polite to say it out loud. Not polite, just worried. Worried that we would tell Mama and she would stop sending him meat, that his money would stop if Mama knew he said something to us. Not that she cares but it’s just what he thinks will happen.

Luke’s feet shuffle, his legs barely picking them up enough to allow him to walk. He doesn’t make the effort. His hands dig deep into his pockets. I can’t look at him when I start to walk, the dog dragging behind me like a shadow. My hands twist trying to keep the tarp between my fingers, wrists turned out.

Until we get to the edge of the yard the tarp slides, like a child down a plastic slide, nothing keeps it from moving. The trees bridge over us, a gate into the woods and the rocks start. Little at first and then big, sprinkled across the dirt. Behind me Luke walks. His foot hits the tarp, his footstep too broad to avoid it. My arms jerk when the tarp slithers over the rocks.

“Did it have a name?” Luke asks, coming up beside me. He looks straight ahead, hands still in his pockets. He doesn’t even look at me when he asks, just the path in front of us.

“Did what have a name?” I want to stop and rearrange the body but I don’t want Luke to see it again. I don’t want to have to watch him mourn over the dog again.

“Jessi’s dog.”

“Oh.” I try to remember. I haven’t talked to Jessi in ages. Then I see it. In the darkness I can almost see the pictures in my mind.

“It’s in the barn, Jess,” Mr. Fillips said, pulling his daughter down the porch steps. Her foot wobbled, the heel of her shoe mashed in, not actually on her foot. I stood awkwardly, setting the package Mama had me bring for Mr. Fillips on the rocking chair that creaked in the wind when no one was around. Jessi used to tell me that it was a ghost, of some great-great-great-grandmother who was still waiting for her brother to come home. I used to roll my eyes at her. But it still scared me when Jessi wasn’t there to see my fear.

I followed them to the barn where the lights were off and sunlight streamed in from the windows in the loft. Before I could get in the door, Jessi squealed high pitched and childlike. Not something I would expect from a girl who is turning 13. I will never do that when I turn 13, I thought, picturing for a second what my birthday would be like a few months later.

There is nothing to picture. Mama would never do anything special. I’d be lucky to get a card from Luke, signed with his horrible 11 year old handwriting. I stopped thinking. It’s not your birthday, and if it was no one would care. Get over it, I thought, pulling my thoughts back to Jessi.

“Lacie, look! Oh, my God, I can’t believe it!” I looked at Jessi. In her hands she held something. It was black and white, squirming in her hands. It looked at me, staring with big eyes. A puppy with one blue eye and one green.

“His name’s Crab,” Mr. Fillips said, handing Jessi a collar for her present. “He’s named after the dog in a Shakespeare play.” Jessi rolled her eyes. I laughed. I could picture her father’s library that was inside their house, filled with books that no farmer should be able to read. But that never stopped Mr. Fillips. He was smarter than he looked.

“Crab,” I whisper. My hand slips, sweat coating my palm. The plastic falls through my fingers. “Dang it.” I hold the word under my breath, censoring it. The real word swims around my head trying to paddle out through my lips. I turn but it’s too dark to see what I’m doing.

“I’ll get it,” Luke says, reaching for the tarp, trying to get a hold of the side opposite of me. He pulls it upward, and the dog lifts upward. Crab slides down into the curve when I grab the other side. My hands stay behind my back; my heels kick the drooping cocoon as we walk.

Luke keeps his end low to the ground, his arms held low in front of him. I can hear him breathing through his mouth, sucking the air in so it doesn’t get caught in his nose. He is probably crying again.

The sun is peaking through the horizon when we get to the edge of the trees. Fingertips of light push back the blackness and shine through, rays barely strong enough to light our way.

Mama’s in the attic. I can see her silhouette rustling behind the curtain as she preps for the dog. I shiver, my hands shaking, when I think about what she is going to do to this thing that we had to drag back for her.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:55 pm
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Hiya peanut! Here as requested!

Now I haven't read what came before this (I skimmed it lightly to sort of familiarize myself with it), but everyone seems to have been really impressed with what came before this and from what I saw they're not wrong to be. However, I'm going to try to review this as it's own piece, as that's what's been asked of me. ^^

First, one nitpick:

“It’s pitch black out here; you know that, right?” Luke’s face is lost in the darkness, no flashlight to light our way. “Then why didn’t you bring a light?”

These two lines of dialogue don't sound as if they're being said by the same person, but they're in the same paragraph like they are. After looking further, it actually does seem like Luke is saying this as well, but that "Then" should probably be removed since it makes it sound as if someone else is saying it.

Overall there just seems to be something...lacking from this piece. I came to the end of the story and found myself wondering, what's the point? As a reader, I want to know why I should care about these characters in this situation. This appears to be a sequel to a very well-received story, and I know it's not a matter of talent because you're a very talented writer.

Something that can happen with sequels,though, is we get more interested in furthering the previous story rather than creating an entirely new story. What this story needs, if it is going to be able to stand alone from the other story, is it's own reason. What is so important about this situation that we need to see these characters in it. Show us what the characters gain by being in this situation, how this situation is important enough for these characters to participate in, and how we as the readers are affected by the story.

Another thing I found lacking, which could have come from not fully reading the previous story, is that there were a lot of things not well enough explained. I was confused about who Mr. Fillips was in relation to the teenagers and what the teenagers living situation was. One of them (the MC I think) asked Luke how he came to be with Mama, and that was only slightly explained which left me wanting more but never being satisfied.

I feel like I'm rambling, and I'm sorry if I'm not making sense. xD Basically, this story just needs more purpose. A sequel or an extenuation for the sake of a sequel or extenuation does not a good story make. ;) So reconsider what you want this story to do, and make the appropriate changes to fit that vision.

Good luck and keep writing!

-Lauren-




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 8831
Reviews: 202

Donate
Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 am
Octave wrote a review...



Okay, I liked the first one, so naturally, I clicked this one with some apprehension. I'm not big on sequels mostly because the sequels tend to kill my impression of the first novel (and not in a good way), but I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe it's partly my distaste for sequels speaking, but I seriously found this lacking. It has nothing the first one had, and now it's all weird, Peanut. oo" I think you might have felt pressured by the first story and tried to make this something that could match it, but ended up kind of failing.

I want you to reread 'Lifeless Friends', then reread this one. There's a stark difference between the two, the voice being the first thing that caught my attention.

With Lifeless Friends, there was a creepy monotone thing going. The voice sounded dead, almost as if your main character had given up on life, on salvation, on freedom - everything. Here, the voice is gone. All that's left is a teenager who sounds like...well, what you expect a normal teen sounds like, I suppose. There's nothing interesting about her, nothing to make us go, "What the -?"

Here, you lost all your voice. You slipped back to - well, nothing. Even stranger, there seems to be little or no conflict/tension in the first ten paragraphs or so. Yes, they were walking in the dark. Yes, they were talking about their lives. So? I have a vague idea of what they're about to do, but your main character seems nonplussed. There's no reason I should feel anything either. >.O

I stopped at the dog part (the bit where you describe the dog). Not particularly because i was gruesome, but because it just lacked something. Your setting felt dead - there was no life in the setting, and when you described the dog, it was too late. I'd already had a different image in mind, and when you changed that, my brain just got all fuzzed up. oo"

Allow me to give you an example.

"Is this seat taken?"

He glanced at her, then at the rest of the coffeeshop, his eyes checking each and every corner to see if there were other seats available. Plenty, actually, but he supposed he couldn't refuse her if she wanted to sit with him. "No," he said, retreating behind his newspaper once more.

"Thank you." Her chair scraped against the wooden floorboards, and there was a soft clink as she set her mug down on the table.

He could smell her drink - caffe latte with nonfat milk, the kind his mother used to drink. He couldn't quite explain it, but something about nonfat milk was different from normal milk - t'was unnatural. Artificial. Human.

"D'you believe a blizzard's coming? I think it's too sunny for that."

He sighed and closed his newspaper. She was muscular, big, and she wore a leather vest over a too-tight plaid shirt. If her voice wasn't so high-pitched, he would've easily mistaken her for some lumberjack lost in the city. Perhaps it was a fashion statement, or a halloween costume, and her facial hair was drawn on. Maybe. It was almost disconcerting to hear her speak in such a girlish voice, given she looked twice as manly as anyone he'd ever seen, including the steroid-high jocks in his highschool.


Well, maybe it's not really well-written, but do you see where I'm going? ^^" When I say caffe latte with nonfat milk, you think of a slim girl, conscious about her looks and probably quite pretty. Then I take it all back when I tell you she looks like some dude from the mountains.

Huh. o0"

That's the way I felt when I read about the dog. When you say dog, I think of Buster lying down on the tarp, contentedly waiting for the guests and feeling a little lazy. I don't think of a dog that's dead (dying?), and I doubt others do.

On another note, I think a dog with skin that torn wouldn't be easy to stuff, but that's not my biggest problem here.

Your writing is all over the place in this piece. :C It makes me sad, because I know you can do so much better. Lifeless Friends made me go: WOAH. O-O

I know you can do that again. Clean up this piece, and try to avoid awkward phrases like,

hand hitting my leg as his arm shoots forward then back with each stride


They're super awkward and only make your piece even more of a mess than it already is.

Also, start with a little more conflict. This story just drags in the beginning, which is probably why I didn't get through it. If you started with the bit about the dog, I probably would have gotten further (maybe). oo" The dog was just the final straw in the whole thing. I found it kind of disappointing, and I really didn't want to ruin my impression of Lifeless Friends. From what I read, characterization was weak, much weaker than it was in LF, but that might be because I just started this one.

Also, the bit about, "You're good too, Lace," made me feel a little creeped out. oo Maybe it was just me, but it sounded like a budding romance. I guess it would make sense for them to bond in that way, though, but I thought that maybe you didn't intend for it to come off that way so I figured I ought to just bring it to your attention, to be safe. ^^

Your punctuation is all over the place, but I'd worry about that last. You can catch them yourself during your last revision. ;) It's the story itself I'd worry about, if I were you.

Send me a message if you ever do revise this one. Remember to keep Lacey's voice where it was - maintain the momentum Lifeless Friends had. ;)

If you have any questions, PM me~

Sincerely,

Octave




User avatar
529 Reviews


Points: 30280
Reviews: 529

Donate
Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:22 pm
xDudettex wrote a review...



Hey peanut!

I was taking a break from YWS when you posted the original piece so I had a quick read of that before I moved onto this. Honestly, I think it's brilliant. The fact that it all came from a random prompt makes the story seem even better.

Speaking of both pieces, I think you did a great job on characterisation. I could really imagine mama, with her crazy expressions and snapping tone. She's actaully pretty scary.

I feel so sorry for the kids. You do a great job of making them seem so realistic, from the way they talk to the way they act. When Luke was in the barn, horrified at the sight of the dog, you seem to have described everything that I would have done if I'd have been in his shoes. All except being sick of course :P

“You’re the oldest; you’re supposed to think of stuff like that. So I didn’t bother.” I roll my eyes, wishing I could see my foster brother so I could slap him. I pause trying to think of something to say, a witty retort that will leave Luke speechless.


It's a bit unclear who's speaking here. From what you've written further on in the piece, Lacie is the oldest, so I suppose this is Luke talking here? If it is, I think you should start a new line from 'I roll' so that it's clearer to the reader that she's reacting to what Luke's said.

“Because Mama said to,” I can see the light from the moon


The comma should be a sull stop.

and lie like orange snakes


I may be wrong, in fact I think I am, but I'm not sure if 'lie' should be 'lay'

I whisper, my voice catches in my throat.


I think the comma would be better as 'and'

into the hay as he scoots jumps forward


You only need one of the actions.

his eyes. A tear falls out of his eyes


Having 'eyes' twice in a small space is a little repetitive. You could maybe try switching the first use to 'vision'

***

The whole thing was great. I really do hope that you continue to expand on this. Of course, you'd have to think of some sort of plot that ties in with the evil mama, but I'm sure you can manage that.

I hope this helps!

xDudettex




User avatar
201 Reviews


Points: 4013
Reviews: 201

Donate
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm
peanut19 says...



I shortened it for y'all. I hope it's easier to read now(:
~peanut~





Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.