z

Young Writers Society


12+

Val: Precursor

by passenger


This is like my deleted scene, because although nothing outrageous happened, I like to forget about it. To leave it out. There are times when it’s relieving to forget about things that make you question your perceptions. I’m told I shouldn’t make a habit out of things like this, but it certainly makes decisions less difficult. You probably don’t remember it in the first place, for reasons that are obvious. So I guess I’ll refresh both of our memories.

“Gray,” you’re saying in a low monotone. “The color gray. Wine is just gray. I’m not saying it ain’t alright, I mean, it is, but it might as well be grape juice. It doesn’t give you any kick.”

You’re drunk off your ass. All your friends are. We’re attending a school party at Patty Feller’s parents’ apartment. About an hour ago, David Miller caught you drinking Pinot Noir straight from the bottle. It was the drink you were known for refusing. You hate wine. You think it’s for girls and sissies. Everyone knows that, and if they didn’t before, then they do now.

You’ve spent the last hour defending your case, and if I might add, doing a poor job of it.

Since you’re obsessed with playbooks, I’ll try to tell it to you like you would see it. I’ve drawn it in my Physics notebook. There’s an arrow pointing to the word “gray”, because you speak in colors when you’re drunk. Everything is gray, or purple, or orange, or even chartreuse. Your whole spiel is circled in bright red and labeled with an ‘O’, for Open Access, since that’s how you’re going to get out of David’s interrogation. Even when you’re drunk, you are notorious for your excuses.

“I’m not saying it ain’t alright” is marked with an X, because that’s your downfall. It’ll be the line everyone will remember. Everyone who’s still sober, anyway. Because, regardless of the context, you admitted to your like for wine. And because even when you’re drunk, you are very concerned with what people think.

You can’t stop running your hand through your hair. Dark crew cut, fingers a little crooked from getting jammed in baseball.

It’s what you do when you lie.

“Red red wine, you make me feel so fine,” Dan Rochere’s singing. “You keep me rockin’ all of the time.”

I’m sitting on the couch across the room. The only reason I’m at the party is because Kelsey Mcguire was insistent upon going. Your cronies are her best friends. Either that, or she wants to get laid. Regardless, she wanted company, and I was the most qualified person for the job. We dressed in short shorts and crop-tops and came along, seeking euphoria or some kind of hilarity and instead finding a horde of drunken football players, heads lolling to the cadence of their own voices.

The reason I'm telling you this is because it’s technically the first time I met you. You, sitting on Patty Feller’s floor, shirt pulled halfway up your chest, Alena Martin kissing your stomach while you defied David’s (correct) assumptions about liking “a girl drink”, and your eyes half closed, like your liver couldn’t decide whether or not to fail from the booze.

I don’t think it should count.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:39 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hi hi! Finally here as requested, so let's get started! :D

My first thought is: iiiiinteresting...

Second person really works for me. I love the mystery of who "you" is and what "you" did. Read Stolen by Lucy Christopher. It's my favorite second person book I've read. It's about a girl that was kidnapped and it's written as a letter to her captor. (But it's not scary, I promise).

Technically this is a prologue, yes? Prologues, as I'm sure you know, are really hit or miss and are often not necessary. It's too soon for me to tell whether or not I'll think this prologue is necessary or not, but right now I'm leaning towards it is. The event itself isn't all that out there or different from other YA stories - a party, someone is drunk. But, you've put a little twist on it and made it a lot more interesting because it's a moment she wants to forget and take back and I want to know why. In my eyes, nothing particularly horrible happens in this moment, so now I want to read on and find out what happened.

I'm digging the voice already too. Voice is such a hard thing to get right and it can be a really hard thing to teach because it's not really a mechanical thing you either do right or wrong. I think you're capturing this MC really well so far and I already feel intrigued and pulled into the story which is exactly what I want in an opening.

I can't quite answer any of your questions yet, but I'll get there :) If I were to guess right now where the plot is headed, I'm guessing "you" is a boy and this boy is going to wrong her in some way. I'm guessing he's going to break her heart in some fashion and it may or may not be related to his alcohol use (or is it abuse ???). OR it's going to be a cute love story about how she fell in love with him and she doesn't want to remember him in this light because it's not how he really is. Am I close? :P (you don't actually have to tell me, I'll find out soon enough anyway).

A few small things:

This is like my deleted scene, because although nothing outrageous happened, I like to forget about it. To leave it out. There are times when it’s relieving to forget about things that make you question your perceptions. I’m told I shouldn’t make a habit out of things like this, but it certainly makes decisions less difficult. You probably don’t remember it in the first place, for reasons that are obvious. So I guess I’ll refresh both of our memories.

I think this gets a little wordy and a little repetitive. I often do the same thing when I'm starting a novel. I start with a voicey opening paragraph to narrate and set the scene in a sort of undertone, subtext sort of way to create some mystery and then move into what's actually happening :) I think a bit of this is good, but you don't want too much. I think you could achieve the same effect here taking out the part I put in bold, while making it a bit more concise.

Since you’re obsessed with playbooks, I’ll try to tell it to you like you would see it. I’ve drawn it in my Physics notebook. There’s an arrow pointing to the word “gray”, because you speak in colors when you’re drunk. Everything is gray, or purple, or orange, or even chartreuse. Your whole spiel is circled in bright red and labeled with an ‘O’, for Open Access, since that’s how you’re going to get out of David’s interrogation. Even when you’re drunk, you are notorious for your excuses.

I'm lost with the sports analogy. (I know next to nothing about sports). So the MC (Val I'm guessing) is sitting at this party watching "you" do what "you" is doing and making little notes in her notebook, but I don't really get what she's doing. Why is she making little notes? What do the arrows and the Os and the Xs mean exactly?

You can’t stop running your hand through your hair. Dark crew cut, fingers a little crooked from getting jammed in baseball.

It’s what you do when you lie.

This is a curious little thing. Since this is the first time meeting "you", she wouldn't know that this is his lying tell but obviously something has happened since this initial meeting that made her learn this is the case. I'm also a sucker for these little human details that make characters feel more real.

You mentioned several names and characters in this opening and I don't really remember any of their names because they all flew by rather quickly and I was primarily focused on "you". So I hope they are developed more and you remind us who is who in the coming chapter :)

Overall, I thought this was an intriguing opening and I'm very curious to see how this is going to be developed and to learn more about your characters! Let me know if you have any questions or if you want any feedback about something I didn't already mention, and I'll see you very soon! :D




passenger says...


Thank you so so much!

I often tend to get wordy (something I'm trying to improve!), so thanks for pointing that out.

Something that might get a bit confusing is that the narrator is writing to 'you' from a time later than when the events described are actually occurring. For the purpose of writing the letter, she had made the notes in her physics notebook, but not at the party itself. Hopefully it isn't as confusing in later chapters!

On Sports Analogies: the narrator knows that 'you' is obsessed with sports, so she's kind of trying to write the letter to his fancy. :P I'm unsure as to whether I'll keep this particular analogy, as the transitions are bit rocky.

Thanks again! This is a huge help. <3



Carlito says...


You're so welcome! :D

The time differential will definitely be a fine balance and I'll keep watching out for it and try to point out when I think the time transition is confusing. Haha I'm probably always going to be a bit lost on sports analogies but that's a personal problem :P



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 6987
Reviews: 117

Donate
Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:23 am
View Likes
JosephGeorge wrote a review...



Hey passenger,

First Impressions:Well written! So refreshing.

Positives:

“Gray,” you’re saying in a low monotone. “The color gray. Wine is just gray. I’m not saying it ain’t alright, I mean, it is, but it might as well be grape juice. It doesn’t give you any kick.”


I love stories with a very strong narrative voice, as all good books should have, and this part right here really stands out. I love that you've chosen to say so much on such a little thing, as it feels more human than trying to make something out of nothing. Just saying it like it is :D And doing it with a little style, too.

and your eyes half closed, like your liver couldn’t decide whether or not to fail from the booze.


This was a great, somewhat laughable moment. Again, delving into something that seems so simple and unimportant, but turning it into a short bit that really fleshes out your writing and puts some real depth into it.

Negatives:
Since you’re obsessed with playbooks, I’ll try to tell it to you like you would see it. I’ve drawn it in my Physics notebook. There’s an arrow pointing to the word “gray”, because you speak in colors when you’re drunk. Everything is gray, or purple, or orange, or even chartreuse. Your whole spiel is circled in bright red and labeled with an ‘O’, for Open Access, since that’s how you’re going to get out of David’s interrogation. Even when you’re drunk, you are notorious for your excuses.


It feels like there's a little too much commentary, though. I mean, it's great when you're going strong with that driving style, but when you go to just stating random facts and such, it gets kind of boring. Not the content, mind you, but just the style being used.

My thought on this was to change it from this really straight third person, to mixing in some more second person, abstract kind of comments. Things that aren't really directed at anyone or about anyone, but still get your point across. I know that this isn't something most people do, as it's kind of odd and tricky, but I feel like it would work really well here.

Overall:I really liked this. It has a great sense of style and feeling to it, and though it's short, it definitely had my attention.

I give it:
ImageImageImageImage


Joseph Henry George




passenger says...


Hey J, thanks for the review. This could definitely use some reshaping, and I'm glad you pointed out the things you did. You suggested that I should really take advantage of the second-person style. Do you mean that I should tailor the narrator's remarks more towards what she thinks of the person depicted as "you", rather than just stating things about him? If that's not what you meant, can you just give me a quick example of what you mean? :)

Thanks so much for your review. It was very helpful.



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 724
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:43 pm
View Likes
reneehope wrote a review...



Wow. This is really good, although I feel like I don't know any of the characters. This is the first thing I've read by you, and you did write "prologue" in the title, so maybe I'm just missing more. I feel like there should be more about the characters. What is the relationship between them?

I like the use of first and last names, it makes it seem like the character knows of them but doesn't really KNOW them, if you can understand my meaning.

"Your cronies are her best friends" so... the person you're using as "you" is a football player and is she known for sleeping around? That's the vibe I'm getting from this. I don't know.

Your voice in this is so evident, and I think that's why I like this, but I feel like it should be in the middle of a book. I like the words but I don't follow them, if that makes sense? If you've ever read "It's Kind of a Funny Story" this is where it sounds like this scene should come from.

I liked the playbook metaphor. I thought it did a good job of highlighting how jockish the person your character is taking to.
Also, jumping back to my original point, I'd like to know more about the main character. This doesn't seem like her scene, but is it? I can't tell if she's an outsider on her way in, or an inside who's on her way out.

Also the ending, "I don't think it should count." Are you referring to the fact it shouldn't count as a deleted scene? I was a little lost through that, to be honest.
Overall very good, I liked the style, but just some little stuff I didn't quite understand




passenger says...


Thanks for the compliments! At the end, she's saying that she doesn't think the event should count as the first time she met the person categorized as "you" in the text. I have indeed read "It's Kind of a Funny Story", and I definitely take your comparison as a form of praise. :)

I understand how the scene might seem a little out of place. It may be because the narrator herself is trying to put the events together for this other person, and the way that she does it is (at first) a bit random. If you go ahead to the next chapter, you'll sort of realize that she's setting the reader up for the 'real' first time she met You.

If that makes sense. Your review is appreciated!



reneehope says...


It totally does! And I am on my merry way to go read the next chapter. Consider me hooked :)




As the notifications drift in I stop and wonder. Why do they take so long? Do they have adventures we don't know about? I bet they do. When they come I will ask myself. What amazing adventure has this straggling notification been on? How far did it travel, and why didn't it take me?
— TypoWithoutCoffee