Servant of the White Sun - Chapter 1 - Shelter of the Sun

by papillote

Stupid. So stupid. Ciel fell, the skin of her knees split against the asphalt. She got up, sobbing. Stupid. So stupid. It was like a song, going on and on around her head. Stupid. So stupid. She choked a little on her own tears. Not enough air. So much moisture – her tears, the rain, even the mud that splashed as she ran. So, so, so stupid.

She should have left the shop earlier. She should have asked her brother to pick her up. I’m such an idiot! Sure, Frances didn’t like going out of his way for her sake. But he would have done it. Really. He would have.

So stupid. She flinched at the memory of him punching her after she lost her last job. She slipped. It wasn’t his fault. Such an idiot! A snicker rose from the mouth of the alley and she shivered.

The beast was still there, stalking her. It wasn't even hunting her for real. Not yet. It was just playing, a cat with a mouse. She had heard the rumors, knew how it fed on her fear before the actual killing.

But what could she do? What could she do except run and cry?! What choice did she have, but to try?!

She slipped again, fell head first this time. Stupid, stupid girl. The world started spinning. Pain everywhere. She could taste blood in her mouth. Can’t run anymore. She couldn’t even get up.

“Already?” a voice whispered.

Fingers stroked her ankle, human-like fingers, but cold as death. And they brought something with them – a sting, a burn, a tearing deep inside.

It had been like that on the bus too. She hadn’t realized he was one of them until he touched her. He looked so normal. He wore a hat and gloves, all very proper. She hadn’t recognized the danger in his benevolent smile. Ciel wasn’t smart but she knew evil, or so she had always thought – until he took his glove off to touch her.

She gasped, maybe, or maybe she cried out. People glanced their way out of the corner of their eyes. Pretending not to know what was going on. She would have known! But nobody did anything.

She couldn’t really blame them, could she? She wouldn’t have done anything either. There was nothing she could do – nothing they could do. They were above the law, above all humans. So, she had gotten down at her stop and that thing had followed her. And, soon, she had found herself running.

Now, at last, she realized that she still had strength in her. She stumbled to her feet. The beast just laughed. He maybe even helped her a little. He knew he could catch her again. He wanted the chase.

I hate him.

She hated him like she had never hated anyone! With all her terror and all her despair. She hated. Hating him, she ran away until the hate faded and left only her fear, naked for all to see. The street led down to the docks. That’s where he was leading her, herding her. He would kill her there and they would find her in the morning, all curled up and shriveled up.

No! she thought.

No, she refused to be one of those bodies. Disgusting. She couldn’t. She wouldn’t. Out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted a narrow alley between two dumpsters, barely wide enough to let her through. She took a sharp turn.

“Not this way!” the beast hissed in her ear.

He reached for her again. She punched him. “Fuck you!”

It was such a rash move. It didn’t hurt, but it took him by surprise. He lost his balance. She threw herself in the passage. Ignoring his furious hissing, she chanted to herself that she could hear nothing, could see nothing.

She wouldn’t get far before he caught up with her. She was going to die. Whether she met her end on the docks or in the middle of Centenarian Square, she wouldn’t see the morning.

No, she silently begged, and she didn’t know whom she was praying to. Not here, where it was cold and sordid. Move it!she told herself, calling upon her anger.

A gate appeared beyond the corner. She grabbed it with both hands, saw trees through the bars, smelled flowers. The smell, the sight of paradise. She started climbing. She didn’t stop to think that such a plush property had to be Warded. She just climbed, grabbed the top of the gate and threw herself over it. She landed wrong. Something gave with a crunch. When she tried to get up, her leg folded under her weight, and she blacked out for a heartbeat or two.

Her sight was hazy, her ankle pure agony. Fear kept her going. She could make out high walls all around her and even, dimly, a building down the path. It was a lighter line – sand-soft and sand-warm – sand-dry? Something screeched on the other side of the gate. The beast.

“Ciiiieeeel…Ciiiiiel…I’m gonnnnnna find you. I’m gonnnnna hurt you. Come along, girrrrrl. Come.”

Where had it gotten her name? Had it been ripped off her along with her soul?

Ciel.’ So soft a name. Always, it had reminded her of her parents, of laughter and safety. Now, for however long she would live, it would carry a taint of damp alleys and burning terror. And that hurt. God, that hurt so much.

She wasn’t going to play his games. No matter what. Who needed legs? She crawled. She crawled for an eternity – a few minutes, a few hours, a few days, a few years, a few centuries. She crawled. Whenever she thought about giving up, she remembered the sensation of her soul being ripped out of her body.

There were stairs at the end of the path, stairs of smooth, wet wood. She dragged herself up, and up, and up. Her broken ankle bumped against the railing. She passed out for a couple of seconds.

So slow and foggy. Where was the beast? She couldn’t make herself think. The Wards? Were they working? Maybe he couldn’t get in the garden. Maybe she was safe. Almost, she almost let go. She was so tired. She couldn’t take it much further. But she could still feel the part of her soul the beast was consuming. He wasn't far enough. She could sense him still. It hurt, still.

He wasn’t going to give up.

She was flat on her belly on a terrace. Wood too. Glass gleamed farther ahead. A window? A glass door? She reached out, crawled, touched it.

Surely…Surely, it would be locked.

Her fingers kept slipping on the glass panel. She couldn’t tell whether it was locked or whether her fingers were simply too slippery with blood. Her blood. And the mud, the rain, and the tears.

It opened, at last. The glass panel slid open so easily that it felt like someone was letting her in. But there was nobody inside, only darkness. It scared her, that darkness.

She sobbed. Light, please. But the darkness inside was a tad better than the darkness outside. It was warm and dry. She was so cold and wet. She slithered inside. It took all she had left. She collapsed, like a bubble of mud popping. This was it. All she could do. Her absolute maximum.

Again, she blacked out. She floated in and out of consciousness. Pain wouldn’t let her drift off. Her nerve-endings were slowly thawing out, and her every cell throbbed. Her back ached. Her knees and palms burnt and bled.

And then, she had a bigger problem. The beast was hovering over her, a darker patch of darkness, and coalesced before her eyes. He crouched beside her. “Stupid girl. Making me run. I’ll make sure it hurt.” She choked on another sob. “Maybe I’ll share you with my brethren. Could make it last days, until you’re a puppet.”

His white fingers appeared before her eyes. She cried out, knowing it would hurt indeed. The door slammed shut, interrupting her death. He jumped. She jumped – and wailed in pain.

“Milady,” the creature said, a smirk on its pale face. “Oh, you unlucky little human…”

Ciel looked the way the creature wouldn’t. Someone stood in the space between darkness and light – a woman, or a female anyway. Her skin was moon white, her features harshly delineated in the shadows. Her face wasn’t a pretty one: she had too strong a jaw, but her eyes were wide and almond-shaped, black as Indian ink, and that utter black shone. Those were mysterious eyes, their loveliness softly accentuated by delicately curved brows and the brown silk of her hair.

Ciel sucked in a deep breath. It was better than dissolving in tears again, she supposed. Of all the houses…she had run – and crawled – straight into another demon's lair.

Lady,’ the monster had called her. The woman was another saÿrim. Evil.

She was even wearing the kafi, their traditional costume – a short robe, a long sash wrapped around her waist, and harem pants. Her feet shone like alabaster on the rich rug. Silver wire and jewels twinkled from her sash and a single white sun glowed on her shoulder.

Ciel didn’t know that emblem, or the saÿrim family it belonged to. From the look of the woman, however, from the look of the house, she knew it was a prominent one.

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:04 am
Miraculor77 wrote a review...

Hi! I saw the latest chapter out and wanted to come back to the first to start from the beginning.

I'll read through this and drop comments/critiques/nitpicks as I go. Keep in mind that I write the following because I want to help. Feel free to ignore any/all comments/critiques if you don't think they're necessary. :)

Stupid. So stupid. Ciel fell, the skin of her knees split against the asphalt. She got up, sobbing. Stupid. So stupid. She choked a little on her own tears. Not enough air. So much moisture – her tears, the rain, even the mud that splashed as she ran. So, so, so stupid.

Something major just happened, didn't it? Whatever it was, it was enough to distract her from the pain from her knee.

I do have one nitpick:
"Ciel fell, the skin of her knees split against the asphalt."

This sentence is made up of two independent clauses. This means that both parts of the sentence can, technically, stand on their own as full sentences. Two independent clauses should be separated by a semicolon (;), or you can change one of them into a dependent clause.

For example, you could write something like this: "Ciel fell, the skin of her knees splitting when it hit the asphalt."

I love how intense her emotions are in this paragraph. Some people might think that the repetition is unnecessary, but it really drives the point home.

So first you say that though Frances would have come to pick her up, then you say that she remembers him punching her.

I get the feeling she's just trying to convince herself that this was the alternative to whatever really happened. I don't know if that was your intention, but I thought I'd point it out anyway. :)

I feel that using the "?!" twice lessens its effect. If you used it once, at the ned of the last sentence, it would have more emphasis.

Ouch. Also, should't "stupid, stupid girl" be italicised?

The words "human-like" seem to lessen the almost poetic, yet frightning thing you have going here. Also, the word "fingers" is not necessary the second time. I would have written it like this: "Fingers stroked her ankle, strangely human and cold as death."

It had been like that on the bus too. She hadn’t realized he was one of them until he touched her. He looked so normal. He wore a hat and gloves, all very proper. She hadn’t recognized the danger in his benevolent smile.

So she met him/it before?!? 0.o
One of who? Make sure you mention this later. (If you already did, ignore this comment).
The hat and gloves make this piece seem more in the past, but I could be wrong. It's just that hats and gloves were worn more commonly back then.

There are multiple corners because there are multiple eyes. Make it plural: "People glanced their way out of the corners of their eyes."
She would have known what? Be specific. "Had she been in their place, she would have known!"
I like how you use exclamation points; many books don't use them often nowadays. It makes your writing different, in a good way.

He maybe even helped her a little.

It could be just me, but I think that the word "maybe" feels out of place here. If he definitely helped her, take out the "maybe." If she isn't sure, try replacing it with "might even have" like so: "He might even have helped her a little."

The second and third sentences can be combined, because they are both dependent clauses. They sound strange as whole sentences. I would write it like so: "With all her terror and all her despair, she hated him."

"He" sounds sadistic, kinda messed up, and not entirely human. Am I correct in my assumptions?
Also, who's "they"? You said that "they would find her in the morning," but you never specified who. The police? The people who lived nearby? The people who worked there?

More things like the thing that's chasing her?

Nope, not human.

Yes! Good job, Ciel.
*looks at author* "She better be alive by the end of this."

One nitpick: There should be a space after "Move it!"

A gate appeared beyond the corner. She grabbed it with both hands, saw trees through the bars, smelled flowers.

Yes!! But it seems too conveniant... is it a trap?

She landed wrong. Something gave with a crunch. When she tried to get up, her leg folded under her weight, and she blacked out for a heartbeat or two.

By the stars, that must be painful.

Word of advice to the beast: That's not how you get people to listen to you.
Ciel, don't listen to him. You probably know this, but still. Don't.

Who needed legs?

I should not have, I know I shouldn't have, but I laughed out loud.

Whenever she thought about giving up, she remembered the sensation of her soul being ripped out of her body.

The imagery here is strong. It sounds painful to think about. Was her soul really ripped from her body?

Maybe she was safe. Almost, she almost let go. She was so tired. She couldn’t take it much further.

Nooo!!!!!!

Ciel looked the way the creature wouldn’t.

This feels... contradictory. The creature smirks and calls Ciel unlucky, almost as though he isn't unlucky. But then he doesn't look at the door, at whoever that's standing there.

Those were mysterious eyes, their loveliness softly accentuated by delicately curved brows and the brown silk of her hair.

Your writing is so poetic. It's beautiful. I also think that the woman(ish) figure is human. Or looks like one.

‘Lady,’ the monster had called her. The woman was another saÿrim. Evil.

Never mind. Not human after all. Also, how do you pronounce "saÿrim?"

From the look of the woman, however, from the look of the house, she knew it was a prominent one.

I get the feeling that Ciel's gonna be in a lot of trouble.

Well that's all I have. Hope this review helps. :D
I'll read and review the other chapters when I get time.

Keep writing,
Mira

Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:16 am
Gnomish wrote a review...

Hey, I'm here for a review!

I know I'm a little late coming into this, but I saw the seventh chapter and I wanted to start at the beginning.

Anyways, I really like this story so far. The intense emotions were very shocking and intriguing in the beginning, and stayed that way throughout the whole chapter. I really liked how you described Ciel's thoughts and her doubts, it helped me to connect with her. I also like that I'm slowly starting to get a picture of her past without dumping all the information right away.

One thing that I think could be improved was the part where she was running through the city towards the house. I feel like there wasn't really any descriptions there, and that you could flesh that out a little bit.

Other than that, I really liked this chapter and I can't wait to move on!
-Gnomish

papillote says...

Thanks for the comment and thank you very much for taking the time to go back to the beginning. I'm always glad for a review, but it's a little annoying when people jump in mid-story and complain about being lost.

Gnomish says...

I agree! Glad I could help!

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:20 am
Honora wrote a review...

Hi Pap!
This caught my eye because for one, it actually has a title and for two, its the first chapter. I usually like to come into a story at the very beginning. ;)
Anyway, review time.
So, i did find a few things that I would like to point out. I noticed that you repeat yourself a lot. In the very beginning, you were repeating the words stupid and idiot A TON! I know you were trying to get the point across but I found it was a bit much. Maybe this is just me but I figured I would point it out anyways. :)

"I hate him.
She hated him like she had never hated anyone! With all her terror and all her despair. She hated. Hating him, she ran away until the hate faded and left only her fear, naked for all to see."
In those few sentences, you used the word hate six times. Try to die down on that a bit. Once again, I get that you are trying to get it across that she HATES him but it was too much. You also used the word "all" a lot too. If I was writing it (which I'm not so don't take this advice if you don't want to), I would do it something like this:
I hate him.
She hated him more than she had ever hated anyone before! With all her terror and despair, that was what she felt about him the most. She ran in anger until all her hate turned to fear, naked for all to see."
See? You still get the same feel from it and get the point without overusing either word. Please don't get offended either. I only want to help you. And don't worry, I'm getting to what I like next! ;)
So, I REALLY LIKE THIS! I am currently writing a novel with vampires too so I think that may be why it caught my attention in the greenroom. ;) I love the way you portrayed the vampire. It literally gave me chills and I could really feel her terror. The way you explained his touch was AMAZING! One of the biggest things that makes me hooked on a book is if I can connect with the characters. And I did, so good job on that!
I don't think I saw any grammar errors but I was pretty caught up in the story so just double-check that there aren't any. :) (I also suck at grammar so yeah...)
It flowed well and your choice of words was really good. Other than those few things I pointed out above, you really didn't repeat yourself.
It really is an attention grabber and I love how you jumped right into action. Another novel I'm working on is SO slow in the beginning that I get bored as the writer! Action is a sure way to get your readers hooked with the first chapter and that's what you need. Get them hooked and they will overlook the flaws. Mostly. :)
I hope this helped! I also hope you post more! When you do, you should tag me! :D
Your friend,
Honora

papillote says...

Thank you for the review. I'll think about the repetition thing. You're not the first one to point out that I do that a lot in action scenes. I guess it's how my brain works in an emergency%u2026
I must say I really hesitated before going with the vampire thing. I was in highschool when they were really popular and they popped up everywhere at random, so I'm always afraid it's going to be cheesy. I hope you'll tell me if it ever gets to that point.
I'll be sure to tag you when the next chapter comes out. Have a nice weekend.

Honora says...

:D I will definitely tell you what I think about it in future chapters!

Zoom wrote a review...

Hello Papillote.

So I pretty much check out every chapter 1 that gets posted here, but admittedly it's just to see the hook and how much the piece grips me in general. This is one of those happy occasions I get to the end and want to read on.

First of all, you have a pretty decent sense of voice. I'm living for these choppy sentences. I think this is the closest you can get to first person whilst writing in third, so kudos for that. Your pacing was also nice.

I like the vibe I'm getting from this. There's something bleak and hopeless about this world itself that sends shivers down my spine. I wish I could point out exactly what it is I'm talking about, but I guess it's more of an overall feeling that you have instilled throughout the scene.

While I loved the atmosphere, what I would suggest to improve on is the presence of the "beast". The word "beast" puts me in mind of something more hairy and wolfy, however I believe you betrayed the beast to be more human in apperance, and so I was left wanting something a bit more terrifying to imagine about this whole situation? I guess theres the whole soul eating part, but you never really went into that enough for me to envision what that might feel like. My skin needs to crawl where that’s concerned. Also his line of dialog confused me, because he seemed mad that he had to run, but I believe you said he likes the whole chasing part. Or was he being sarcastic?

Anyway, in general, opening with a chase scene is risky business. Starting with action is always troublesome because you're asking us to invest in characters we don't care about yet. You're trading the time to build character development for a snappy pace and immediate excitement. I think you can make it work though, to be honest. Like I said, there’s something gripping about this that really works, and I think this chase scene is helping you showcase how voicey your writing is.

I would suggest a bit of a restructure, like starting off with the first encounter on the bus instead of including this scene in a mini flashback style almost immediately anyway. I advise to keep first chapters as linear and concise as possible.

One more thing. This was absolutely amazing:

‘Ciel.’ So soft a name. Always, it had reminded her of her parents, of laughter and safety. Now, for however long she would live, it would carry a taint of damp alleys and burning terror. And that hurt. God, that hurt so much.

Mmm. So good. Such a unique perspective and creative idea.

Do you plan to post more?

Well done :)

-Zoom

@Liberty500 I bet you’d like this

papillote says...

Thanks for the review. Always helpful.
Yes, I've got plenty more material in this story. It's been a while since I've last posted (life%u2026) but I've been writing while I was away :)
I'll think about restructuring the chapter a bit, and also about the word 'beast' and what it implies. I see what you mean, but I also felt that 'demon' had too many connotations and 'monster' made me think about the Red Bull in The Last Unicorn - I'm not sure why%u2026
Thanks again. Hope you enjoy chapter 2 (it should come out next week if I manage to keep up the pace).

Lib says...

I never got a notification when you tagged me. o_o
Anyways, I do like it. I just started reading. :)

papillote says...

:D

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon