z

Young Writers Society



Blank Canvas Collection

by paintedcookie


Comments and Constructive Criticism extremely welcomed.

One question though, should I make new topics for the other parts of the collection or should I submit them all in this one topic? I'm still learning the ropes around here :oops:

-----------

Petals

The pink petals of a frangipani floated towards the weather worn, wooden floors not allowing the full force of gravity pull them down but instead teasing it, slowly moving from side to side before landing softly on the ground. But one petal, stubborn as it was, refused to land on the wooden floor and instead rested itself on top of a sun tanned leg, not perturbed by the fact that it was away from its other pink petal friends.

The young girl reached out to her suntanned leg and gently caressed the pink petal careful not to bruise its perfect surface. She placed it down on to the ground where it belonged with others like it and then slowly got up on to her feet trying not to step on any of the fallen petals as she tip toed around them towards an open window.

The smell of the salty water of the beach overwhelmed her but was countered by the easing sound of the crashing of waves against the shore. She closed her eyes and remembered the taste of the sea and the feeling of sand against the soles of her feet.

The girl reopened her eyes and looked around smiling. The pink petals were unmoving on the floor of the empty cottage. The peeling, white walls were weather worn and rusty looking especially against the unvarnished, splintering, wooden floorboards. She turned towards her painting easel, the only piece of furniture in the room, and began to paint. Her strokes were precise and the colours blended against each other in just the right way, her expression was one of deep concentration as the room slowly began to transfer to the once blank canvas.

The final touch of paint was applied to the painting; she stood back and admired the finished product as a trickle of sweat glided down her now shiny face. She smiled and began to laugh as she danced around the room, twirling and swirling to the rhythm of the sea. She stopped and closed her eyes to catch her breath again. She could hear the waves calling her. Opening her eyes once again she smiled in accomplishment and walked out of the cottage, taking one more glance at the empty room before picking up her surfboard and closing the door.

A gust of wind crept into the room as the door shut and the petals were once again in the air teasing and twirling, imitating the movements of the suntanned girl, carefree and feeling on top of the world.




Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:00 pm
mphillips wrote a review...



I'm pretty new around here too, so I'm not really able to answer you question. I'd say do whatever you want because I doubt it's really going to matter that much.....

About your piece, I liked the general theme of it, but I agree with everyone else about the descriptions being too long. I think they've pretty much covered that so I'm not going to go into great detail about it....

In the middle of reading this, I was asking myself where this was going. Although the descriptions are good, there needs to be some foreshadowing about what it's going to lead to. Otherwise, no one is going to want to keep reading. Right now, I just think it's about a girl painting, and that can only be intersting for so long.

I did like reading this. Although the descriptions seemed to be a bit lengthy, I enjoyed them. Keep it up and post any revisions.....




User avatar
657 Reviews


Points: 6523
Reviews: 657

Donate
Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 pm
Jennafina wrote a review...



Hey Cookie!

The first thing I noticed is that you've got some serious description. That's great, and I like the words you chose a lot, but I think it would be better spread out among actions, otherwise it really slows down your story. Not every noun needs to be described. Instead, you could try to make your nouns more specific or something. :)

Also, your sentences are really long.

You mention the floor being wooden twice in the first paragraph. Once is enough. Also, you mention that the girl has a tanned leg twice.

She placed it down on to the ground where it belonged with others like it and then slowly got up on to her feet trying not to step on any of the fallen petals as she tip toed around them towards an open window.

Please add some commas! About the getting up onto her feet thing, I'd take that out. What else would she get up on, anyway?

I like this. :) The girl is like a flower fairy, and some of your images are beautiful.

I think you should trim it down a lot, though. No offense meant, but it sounds a little bit like you're trying to make a word quota. Instead of describing a few things extensively, maybe you could add some more action and describe that.

About the sea, what's the girl's story? It would be cool if you hinted at it so it didn't seem random.

Thanks for posting this! If you concentrated it just a bit, it would be really wonderful. :) I hope you don't mind my rambling critique.

-Jenna




User avatar
116 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 116

Donate
Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:52 pm
Lilyy03 wrote a review...



For your question... I think it's been done both ways. I guess it's up to you.

My main suggestion for this piece would be to not be so wordy. Your descriptions are quite vivid and beautiful, but there are points where it leans towards beings superfluous.
I think you're also missing some commas.
For example:

She placed it down on to the ground where it belonged with others like it and then slowly got up on to her feet trying not to step on any of the fallen petals as she tip toed around them towards an open window.

You could take out all the words in red, and I think the sentence would still make sense. Also, I think you need a comma after "feet".

Your setences are also quite long... Which actually adds to the mood at some points, but at other times it's a bit much.
So basically, I think this would be improved if your wording was more concise...

Other than those things, I thought this was an enjoyable, pretty piece. I look forward to seeing what else you have in the collection!




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 4

Donate
Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:24 am
paintedcookie says...



Thank you ^_^

Yeah, I've been meaning to revise this for a while.
Thanks for the tips!
Anticipating any further comments.




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:15 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...



I dont have time for a full critique now, but there are a couple of points I'd just like to make while I can:

1. Simplify. You need to make every word count and right now, a lot of your sentences are top-heavy and drifty (if you see what I mean) with to many superfluous words and circuitous sentences. Shorten and compress your descriptions. There are simpler ways to say things. Example:

The pink petals of a frangipani floated towards the weather worn, wooden floors not allowing the full force of gravity pull them down but instead teasing it, slowly moving from side to side before landing softly on the ground.


Revised: The pink fragipani petals floated towards the worn, wooden floors, teasing gravity as they drifted from side to side before settling gently on the ground.

2. You use the word "petals" too much, LOL.

I will be back to give a more in-depth analysis tomorrow ;)
Cheers,
~bubbles





=-=
— JazzElectrobass