z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Your full of it

by orlamurphy01


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

People are full of shit. That's the only thing Anne knew to be true she thought, as sat with her head in her hands on the edge of the bed. It was safe to say that Anne's life had not been all fairy dust and roses so far and at the age of 15 as she sat there trembling with what could only be described as a cocktail of every emotion she began to cry and pray for help.She felt quite hypocritical about praying given that she was an atheist although may she was an agnostic and then it wouldn't be so bad to pray.

See these were the type of things Anne worried about she never wanted to be anything other than clearly in the white. However life isn't black and white and this ideology of always staying the white hadn't got her very far to date.

As she sat on that bed thinking about how full of shit people are she began to think maybe she was too. I mean she was people and maybe the only way to be happy was to embrace it and conform completely. This process would not take long as she had given up so much of herself these last few years, so much so that she didn't really know who she was anymore.

This was of course typical teenage shit and the memory of something her mother had said gave her some consolation 'people never are really comfortable with themselves until they reach 40', so at least she was at her appropriate stage of development. This fact provided little consolation and the tugging at her last remains of hope grew stronger. Although by now she was so numb to it she barley even realised. She wonder was this what it was like to be depressed or was she just being dramatic, another teenaged characteristic.

Its probably just the hormones playing tricks again she thought and with that she gained the strength to push herself up of the bed and join the party.

The party if you could call it that, consisted of her 4 cousin their parents her parents and her sister Alex. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy their company it was just that she had been feeling more and more distant from them lately, as if they were trapped behind a glass barrier, just barley visible but not loud enough to distract her from her thoughts. As she thought about it she became more and more sure that she was depressed.

Anne couldn't be accused of being ignorant she had read up on mental health and her mother had provided her with some lovely litterateur on lesbian and bisexual women's mental health which had just made her feel slightly awkward.

She didn't know why thinking about the fact that she was gay made her feel so weird, I mean it wasn't like she or anyone in her family was anywhere near homophobic, a fact that she must have forgot when she made a huge deal of 'coming out' (a memory that made her cringe every time she thought of it), but why did being gay make her feel so odd. It was clear to her that she was, even though she had wrestled with the thought for a while but now she knew and so did her family she had expected to feel this great wave of self confidence wash over her and cleanse her of her anxiety and worry but it never came. This made her even more pissed off and even more sure that people were full of shit or it for the faint hearted.

As she thought about people who got outraged when people cursed and people who cursed frequently like herself she thought that there was a good argument to show that they were both equally stupid. A word is just a word but the intention behind it is the most important thing she supposed. People use words like fuck and shit in a whole manner of different ways so they can better express themselves, aren't words just a means of communication after all.

Anyway, she thought as she tried to pull her thoughts away from the theory of human stupidity and back to the present. She looked around the room for something or one that could occupy her attention for a few minutes. Her eyes filtered through the mass of furniture and boring conversations and ultimately landed on a board looking three year old cousin desperate for attention.

Anne didn't love kids or maybe she did she didn't really know people seemed to think she didn't anyway but she knew for sure that she liked messing and this was the perfect opportunity to have a little fun. She only had a few years before such acts would be looked down upon and judged a thing Anne feared greatly.

She approached her cousin who greeted her with a direct question " can you do a Donegal accent?" That's one of the things Anne liked about kids you never had to guess what was on their minds, they weren't so full of shit, an appealing yet dangerous trade.

Anne spent the next hour talking with her cousin in different accents which were terribly racist and Anne knew that she was definitely not in the white at this moment in time but with fun it's hard to stay completely in the white maybe that's what makes it fun.

Anne barley even realised she had been pondering on the concept of fun and neglected her conversation with her cousin who had grow tired and run off to find something more interesting to do. Anne scanned the room once more but before she could pick out something worth while it was time for cake and food always comes first. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
260 Reviews


Points: 15020
Reviews: 260

Donate
Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:29 am
TriSARAHtops wrote a review...



Hello! Dropping by with a review.

I quite enjoyed this little vignette into your character's life. I feel like there are some really interesting foundations for a good short story here.

I noticed that you said in reply to one of the previous reviews that punctuation is something you struggle with. If I was going to suggest one thing that needed improvement here it would be that, so the fact that you're aware of that is already a good thing. My suggestion would be to, on your first draft, just write and don't stress the punctuation too much, Then, once you've got the piece written, and you're proofreading, read it aloud (You don't actually have to read it out loud, whispering it or mouthing the words should work too). When you're reading aloud rather than in your head, you'll be better able to find where the pauses naturally exist in the sentences. The old big pause = full stop, small pause = comma rule of thumb isn't a bad one to follow. If you think a sentence needs to be split up, it probably should.

The Great Grammar Compendium here on YWS has a pretty impressive section on punctuation, which you may find helpful.

Anne's anguish feels very believable and authentic. So yay! I would however like to have a bit of context for what has made her feel this way - was it something a friend did or said? Someone at school? A crush? Her sexuality is discussed later in the piece, but it's unclear whether it ties into her initial state of mind at the beginning of the story. You start the story with the line "People are full of sh**" - what has caused Anne to come to this conclusion?

This story has a very stream-of-consciousness feel to it. Part of this is caused by your sentence structure - run-on sentences, for example. I have some mixed feelings about this. With this being a piece that is very much about what's going on in Anne's head, a stream of consciousness structure would not be out of place, just be careful that it's not too rambly.

The ending was sweet, and I liked the ideas you were expressing, although it was a little rushed. I think if you extend the scene her cousin, it would strengthen the story. I don't think the final paragraph was necessary - personally, I think the "that's what makes it fun" would be a much stronger point to end on.

I noticed the use of "I mean" and "See, ..." quite a lot throughout this piece. I felt like it drew the reader out of the piece a bit. Were it written in first person point of view, but because it's third person it stands out, and adds a bit more distance between Anne and the reader. Stylistically, it is up to you - and perhaps you wanted to have a sense of an onlooker narrator - whether you choose to keep these.

That's about all I have to say. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!




User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 344
Reviews: 126

Donate
Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 am
Aleta wrote a review...



Hey, here for a review.

The first thing I noticed was the title, which is already grammatically incorrect. You messed up on the your. "You're" is grammatically correct, or you could just say You are instead.

"See these were the type of things Anne worried about she never wanted to be anything other than clearly in the white. However life isn't black and white and this ideology of always staying the white hadn't got her very far to date."

Correction: See, these were the types of mundane things Anne worried about. She never wanted to be anything other than clearly in the white. However, life is not black and white. The ideology of always staying the white had not got her very far to date.

"Its probably just the hormones playing tricks again she thought and with that she gained the strength to push herself up of the bed and join the party. "

Correction: It is probably just the hormones playing tricks again, she thought. With that, she gained the strength to push herself up off the bed and join the (descriptive detail) party.

"This was of course typical teenage shit and the memory of something her mother had said gave her some consolation 'people never are really comfortable with themselves until they reach 40', so at least she was at her appropriate stage of development. This fact provided little consolation and the tugging at her last remains of hope grew stronger. Although by now she was so numb to it she barley even realised. She wonder was this what it was like to be depressed or was she just being dramatic, another teenaged characteristic."

Correction: This was of course typical teenage shit. The memory of something her mother had said gave her some consolation. She had told me that 'people are never really comfortable with themselves until they reach forty'.

(You do not need to repeat consolation twice. Also saying this fact makes it sound as if you are writing an essay. 'This essay provides' sounds out of place.)

"The party if you could call it that, consisted of her 4 cousin their parents her parents and her sister Alex. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy their company it was just that she had been feeling more and more distant from them lately, as if they were trapped behind a glass barrier, just barley visible but not loud enough to distract her from her thoughts. As she thought about it she became more and more sure that she was depressed."

Correction: The party, if you could call it that, consisted of her four cousins, their parents, her parents, and her sister Alex. It was not that she did not enjoy their company. It was just that she had been feeling more and more distant from them lately, almost as if they were trapped behind a glass obstruction, just *barely* visible but not loud enough to distract her from her thoughts. As she thought about it, she became more and more sure that she was depressed.


"Anne barley even realised she had been pondering on the concept of fun and neglected her conversation with her cousin who had grow tired and run off to find something more interesting to do. Anne scanned the room once more but before she could pick out something worth while it was time for cake and food always comes first."

Correction: Anne *barely* even realised(UK?) she had been pondering on the concept of fun.

Okay, you have lost me here. It becomes confusing and hard to understand.


Anyways, hope I helped in some fashion.




User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 78
Reviews: 99

Donate
Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:21 pm
View Likes
Snoops wrote a review...



Hey hey!

How are you? Ready for a review?

This feels real. And that's a big complement. The thoughts are all over the place just like a human would have. Great!

Now other little things:

"That's the only thing Anne knew to be true she thought, as sat with her head in her hands on the edge of the bed" The first line, everyone is full of shit, opens with a bang. Knocks the readers out of the park, and then the next line bores people. You had a great beginning, continue with it. Show me Anne in rage then her looking all sweet and innocent when she gets out of the room. Show me more emotion! Show me something REAL!


"'people never are really comfortable with themselves until they reach 40', so at least she was at her appropriate stage of development" This was funny. Which isn't something new, most of them are, except they are long and ramblish. Shorten them. Go straight to the point.


"People use words like fuck and shit in a whole manner of different ways so they can better express themselves, aren't words just a means of communication after all." I just wanted to tell you I totally agree.

"Anne didn't love kids or maybe she did she didn't really know people seemed to think she didn't anyway but she knew for sure that she liked messing and this was the perfect opportunity to have a little fun." I can't breathe...*suffocates slowly*...ahhhh. This needs punctuation. If you can read this 10 times fast then it's a good sentence, this needs a little work.


"Anne scanned the room once more but before she could pick out something worth while it was time for cake and food always comes first. " I feel like, if you end it with this, I won't think of it anymore, it will pass threw me...I need a good strong ending. Maybe she sees her long last DEAD boyfriend? Zombies? maybe someone faints? The cookie monster barges in? All of the above? Ending something with food doesn't get the reader gasping for more.


Overall thoughts: This is good. The story is interesting. Anne seems like a cool girl and the family vibe is familiar to everyone! Fantastic! Great job! Work on my advice (if you want) and then this could be really GREAT!

Love,
Lau.



Random avatar
orlamurphy01 says...


Thanks for the advice. I agree with most of what you said and I know my punctuation can be terrible I'll try and work on that. Cheers this was very helpful.




Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg