z

Young Writers Society



Hell Remains

by oneeyedunicornhunter


this is my first free-verse. some people have recommended i try it, because apparently rhyming, no matter how orderly i try to make it, seems forced to some here on YWS. :roll:

oh well. here it is.

oh, and the 'e' sound rhyming was not very intentional. :shock:
_____
Get back to the trail.
That's what they tell me.
Remain in the domain of similarity.
Work, but don't be a beneficiary.
Commune with liberty,
abandon barbaricy.
Manifest yourself
in our world.

They were twisted from ideals,
gone rotten,
giving off the stench of power
stolen from the masses.
Look around, friends.
Separate yourself from the herd.
That's what we are.
A herd.

The promise of utopia
always hanging over our heads,
we follow dutifully.

Utopia remains elusive.

Hell remains.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 1823
Reviews: 665

Donate
Wed May 14, 2008 7:18 am
deleted6 wrote a review...



Hmm... this seems too vague and the use of big or strong words, only states 'look at me, look at me'. They don't fit the tone of the poem. You're telling us about something but about what I've no clue. Bit of advice, almost never write poreaching poems. They seem weak and contrived. Also this is so cliche, it brings nothing new to the whole genre. Really if your using a theme been told over and over again, instead try to be original.

Overall: Brad said it best, this just is too vague and tell the truth it's a very cliche peice.

Good luck
VSN




User avatar
915 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 915

Donate
Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 am
Incandescence wrote a review...



oneeyedunicornhunter,


First, who is the intended audience for this? I got no clear sense of who you are writing this for from the language itself--it seems mostly like a personal rant against...against what, exactly? It's never pointed out, thus alienating any potential audience even further.

Further, all that comes before the last two lines is superfluous. You should abstain from generalizations--i.e., "that's what they tell me," "commune with liberty, / abandon barbaricy," (aside: barbaricy isn't a word), etc. are all highly abstract phrases which are pretty boring--because they make your target audience even more ambiguous and less reachable. If this was a poem about America, then you could speak to American life, indulge us in details that exemplify the "barbaricy (sic)" of American life, the "liberty" of it, and so on.

When someone says, "Those were the good old days," for someone not from the good old days, this means...what, exactly? It means nothing. They might ask, "So what was good about them?" and the person might respond, "Well, I don't know...we had fun back then." And you'll say, "What kind of fun?" and they'll respond, "Oh, you know, family picnics and holidays." You might further ask them what was fun about family picnics and holidays, and finally they might say, "Well, OK...I remember the time when my Aunt Mae used termite powder in a layer cake, thinking it was sugar." That's when the story gets interesting.

So often in daily life we don't bother to pay attention to details, so it's easy to not do it in poetry. But you see, as with the above example, the danger in generalizations is that they never reveal anything about the subject. Details are the heart of a poem--and yours has none.


Best,
Brad




User avatar


Points: 990
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed May 14, 2008 3:26 am
thanatosdeath wrote a review...



Yay! More negativity for me to fee on! Erm, not that that's a bad thing...*sweat drop*...I loved the message you sent out...A big thing I got out of this was that you shoul be your own individual, not sure if that was what you were gon' for but, that's still good, right?

Death




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 42

Donate
Wed May 14, 2008 3:10 am
ChildofEden wrote a review...



Wow, words cannot express how much I loved this! You took an idea that's a given but that most people won't really talk about, and you completely brought it out!

I love when people do this! The words, the flow, the ending that made me want to cry anime tears of joy, all very good! Yay for you!

Cheers!

~ Eden




User avatar
112 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 112

Donate
Tue May 06, 2008 12:36 am



:D thanks for the Golden Star and compliments (especially the compliments).

i'm impressed you understood what it was about. don't tell anyone! ;-)

love your sig by the way. the quote is genius...and i thought i was alone in liking cliches!




User avatar
192 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 192

Donate
Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 am
Livinginfantasy wrote a review...



The promise of utopia
always hanging over our heads,
we follow dutifully.

Utopia remains elusive.

Hell remains.


I... Loved... That... Ending! And title!

The rythym was very nice. I was tapping my feet to it. I love the topic also. Beautiful word choice as well. Also, you made a connection with the reader.

I honestly didn't find anything wrong. But then again, I'm not very picky! :wink:

A+ and a golden star!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 6

Donate
Tue May 06, 2008 12:04 am
wrunwrite1023 wrote a review...



This is pretty good! I liked the part when you said, "Remain in the domain of similarity." It flowed really well. While I read it I could sense the feeling that was put into the words and lines.

I also liked the part when you said, "Look around, friends.
Separate yourself from the herd." Becasue I felt like it connected well with the reader. I felt like you were talking to me personally which was a really nice touch! Awesome job!





Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight