Unrequited

by olivia98

Unrequited love. Something that is undoubtedly a lot more common than anyone anticipates. If you take all factors into consideration, then the chances of finding someone you like - who also likes you back - really aren't all that high. So, knowing this, I can wholeheartedly say that there is no human being who will be able to live their life without ever encountering this misfortune.

How does it feel? It's like being back in primary school, when someone would "take away" your best friend - they would whisper and snigger, and skip away to play in the sandpit together without you. It is a turbulent and horrific concoction of affliction, resentment and above all - heartache. Us as humans simply crave the ability to love so much and when it finally happens, it's everything you ever imagined and more - the passion and the fireworks and hunger. But, what if the person you have come to love, loves another? Where do all the passion and fireworks and hunger go then?

Nowhere.

It's all left to shrivel and wither in the very depths of your everything - in pools of gloom, tears and longing. That's the disconcerting thing - we wait for so long to find someone we can fall in love with, yet it's often not mentioned in all the books and the movies that often when we do; it's completely unreciprocated.

Another huge annoyance is that for some freakish reason - everybody always seems to want what they can't have. We enjoy the game; we love the chase. Sometimes people even seem to actually fall in love with the sheer tragedy itself of not being loved back; being the lonely and unwanted - yet still always going back for more - always trying, despite the fact that they know they need to simply let go.

Although one does not always have to be on the giving end of this "unrequited love". To receive one's love when it is not desired is also rather uncanny. It's the guilt. You're aware that they love you and you wish you could love them back - they probably deserve your love a whole lot more than the person you're pining over. However as much as you push, you can't make your heart feel something it just... won't. You have to let them down gently; you have to suffer the consequences of not loving them back - the tears that they shed, and the awareness that it is you whom of which is responsible for them. That's a whole new type of difficult.

So by all means - fall in love. But also be prepared to fall flat on your face. Love is something so uncontrollable, yet something that continues to control every aspect of our very lives. The end.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:45 pm
rhiasofia wrote a review...

Hey, Rhia here to review. I think that the topic and explanation is good, so I'm just going to give some nitpicky editing

"Sometimes people even seem to actually fall in love with the sheer tragedy itself of not being loved back;"

Should be worded as
"Sometimes people even seem to fall in love with the sheer tragedy of not being loved back itself."

Also, avoid words like "seem". THis is your article, your opinion, so own it. Don't use words like this that make you seem hesitant, wary, or restrained. Use bold, commanding, confirmative language only.

'the tears that they shed, and the awareness that it is you whom of which is responsible for them."

I commend you for trying to use whom, most people are too lazy to bother with it, but here it should be who. ANd the "of which" doesn't make sense there. Just, the wording is a little off.

"The end."
That made me cringe. Your wording should end it for you, unless you're writing a fairy tale, please don't ever end with "the end"

My last tip is that you use hyphens a little more sparingly. I have had several English teachers who make it a rule that students would get only one hyphen(used as punctuation, not to join words) and one exclamation point per work. I know the exclamation point bit doesn't apply here, but the point is that both tend to make a work sloppy when used in excess. Try to replace some of those with commas for a more professional appearance.

I'm sorry, I hope I wasn't too harsh, but I'm an editor, so all these things jump at me. It really was well written and interesting to read, though.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:15 am
Milanimo wrote a review...

Hi!
I really enjoyed this essay, and can't really find anything wrong with it!
I liked how you bolded main points, as well as paragraph end each thought in a way that made the work flow. Without that people would not pay attention to your argument but towards how each thought was compacted together and confusing.
I also liked how you gave a simple, common example for unrequited love. It welcomes everyone, even those who haven't yet truly experienced it. You also considered both sides with equal sympathy which I enjoyed, making sure you understood and exemplified both perspectives.
Another part I enjoyed was the positivity at the end that made sure a reader wouldn't give up hope. I know the last thing I want when reading an article or essay is to be depressed and discouraged. Especially if they have good reasoning and a sound argument so I can't disagree. You made it so that not only was the essay realistic and truthful, but also hopeful and encouraging. You helped the reader know that although falling in love is hard and painful, it's worth the risk.
Enjoy the work! Great job!

olivia98 says...

Hello! Aw, well thank you very much. Lovely feedback. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley