z

Young Writers Society



Fantasy

by oats


“What did you say I always do?” I asked him though I had heard him state it clearly in his soft almost feminine voice. I just wanted to make sure he meant what he said before retorting.

I didn’t want to make fun of myself before him. He was a person I idealized to the point of obsession. His each and every word carried undeniable proof of his knowledge, his passion for truthfulness and such weight that I just couldn’t stop dreaming of attaining such heights of enlightenment. But his words were blunt knives. They thrust into the weak points of a person and dug deep holes leaving a bleeding spot. He didn’t differentiate between friends and foes while commenting on them. In his eyes they were all alike. Or so he had told me.

I spent all the time I could – near him, with him – and so became victim of his overbearing nature and frequent attack of blunt truthfulness. I was a prideful person. Prideful not vain. Except for him even my little bit of pride gained his disapproval: almost every time when he got his finger on any such event unfolding, with me showing my tendencies, he hurt me unknowing or knowingly to a great extent.

Even then I didn’t cease in my stubbornness of being near him, around him all the time I could manage just to be near him when he made heavy comments on enlightening issues. You could call it my scorching thirst for knowledge or my need to get a good whipping for being prideful.

In beginning his words haunted me a lot and didn’t allow me to sleep all night, made me toss in my bed till dawn. But much worse than his taunting and blunt sketches he made out of my character were the truthfulness in them all to an unbearable extent. Though with time I ceased to take his words personally as an attack on my pride and started reflecting on myself and my life, still his words left a distinguishable mark on my conscience. With time, my bleeding heart with a lot of holes made into them quite ruthlessly became immune to such attacks.

However, sometime this man became too much to take in. After all there was an extent of something one could bear.

And this was maybe such a moment.

“You heard me, I know.” We were sitting in his simple looking drawing room which had only things that were needful. No lavish taste, no artistic expression – just a simple four cornered room with a wooden table in the center of the room, laden with a book, a pen stand with a pen and a pencil and two glasses of water (which the old housemaid had put there after my arrival); an old sofa on which we were resting at the moment and nothing else. Simply nothing. The large space of the room told a tale of sadness and loneliness. It appeared to me to be suffocating with being alone for a long time. I even mentioned it at some point to him that his house – as the rest of the house was just like this room – made me gloomy. He replied with an unreal smile. His eyes touching, caressing each corner which it could reach followed by a shrug. He never denied it but just accepted it as it was.

I had met him my sheer luck, a coincident in my mind. Though he called it fate. He believed a supreme power lays out the fabric of meetings and events in a person’s life and not a single one of them is futile or worthless. They all are for that person to gain a better knowledge of himself and the creator. It is to make the creation reach its maturity where he can establish a relation of deep devotion and love with its creator. Meeting people, understanding their nature, reading into the lapses left between complicated emotions and outward beauty and establishing a sense of appreciation was to make him realize how much cherish-able and loved he was by the creator who delighted in acknowledging him as his best creation. And so on. He would read out common things with such peculiarity that I became more and more enchanted by his words as I come to know him better.

“I mean it. You are too encircled in a world of your own spinning to see the world outside it. The shell you have created around yourself had complicated your life. You have just lost the way you wanted to head when you decided on this journey. Think about it. Earning money, feeding, entertaining oneself for a moment and then repeating this cycle again the next day and that too in a world that isn’t complete or even real…is it all you want from this life. You don’t believe on several rebirths do you?”

I didn’t. I didn’t even believe in that supreme power he so much gloated about. I didn’t have the seeing eyes he possessed. I didn’t had his belief in things that the world was now renouncing as ancient and a fragment of imagination with no logical basis.

I couldn’t make out what my life had become at that moment. I am successful businessman with a comfortable house a loving family and a friend circle that I loved to maintain by frequent parties and celebrations. I am a happy man.

Or… was a moment ago.

When I look back, I had never thought about where I am headed: like my life is being suspended on a rope, tossed in several directions without any aim. At beginning I had lived on principles and morals with a view to uplift the miserable people around me. It was a young man’s youthful dream to serve a noble cause. And at some point in my life I got meddled up in the usual ceremonies of life. My dream turned into something else. I had to establish a successful career, and then I had to get married and live the rest of the life peacefully in company of friends and comfort and so on… I just gave up on being a good cause as I thought others and much more effective people were doing the job I dreamed with a certain good results. I wondered why he lived in such solitude. And in such a suffocating house too.

I understood it now. It was all an attempt to maintain the reality he was talking about. To gain what he thought was much more important than getting entangled in this worldly life like me – a fantasy woven out of weak fabric that covered the body until life but wearied out in death leaving a naked body to be devoured by worms in grave.

As always I just nodded at him. The conversation turned to smaller and usual matters.

While In my mind I was waging a war with my demon. I was sure, this time I wouldn’t be able to walk on his path or change myself in his way. I feared the loneliness this noble pursuit brought with itself. And unlike him I would be shattered when I wouldn’t be able to feel love. But then he was doing all this to gain that very love wasn’t he? The eternal love which would last much longer than any other; much longer than my families and friends and well wishers love and affection would. He would be wrapped in that very fabric he wove with sacrifice in infinity surviving the unknown he was so sure of was to come after life.  


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:52 pm
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Oats! Casanova here to do a review!

The first thing is I felt like this was flowing in a thousand different dirrections, and you were grasping for strings to hold on to. This feels like a rushed job, much like this review. Anyway, Overall I would say you have a decent plot idea here, and with a bit of editing you could make this into a good short story. But as it stands now, it's just twisting and turning. You migh even be able to make this into a novel if you so chose. The characters were alright, and so was the mood I got from this.
Anyway, that's really all I have to say about this, Kaos said everything else.

Keep on keeping on,

Sincerely, Casanova




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:34 pm
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

There was a lot of thoughts in this short story, so many that I wouldn't call it a short story. It overloads the piece with all the thoughts of the main character and I don't see how they're all necessary to the story. A lot of it stumbles over itself and says the same thing over and over. With it overloading the piece, there's not a lot in the active voice. I'm going to tell you to apply the rule "show don't tell", here because a lot of this could be shown in scenes instead of being in the main character's internal monologue.

I suggest using a grammar checker for this story since there are a lot of grammar and punctuation errors in it. Mind you, grammar checkers don't catch everything and you shouldn't just let them do that kind of work for you, so proofread it with your own eyes. You're missing a lot of commas and your sentences drag on and on far too long. Another thing that pairs along with this is the large and blocky paragraphs that are blocks of text that don't really differ in length, and I suggest switching it up from this.

There isn't really a start or end to the story for me and it turns out being a large blob without any form. The plot isn't really there and the beginning, middle, and end, are hard to tell because of this. I'm not saying to put heavy emphasis on that, but when there isn't a plot in your story, that's a problem. Make things clearer and give more clarity to this piece. Trim it down so it isn't as much with the rambling. There aren't really any scenes in this short story, which, there needs to be. There needs to be writing in the active form rather than just all blabber.

I hope I helped and have a great day!





cron
Remember when dad's shoulders were the highest place on earth and your mom was your hero? Race issues were about who ran the fastest, war was only a car game. The most pain you felt was when you skinned your knees, and good byes only meant tomorrow? And we couldn't wait to grow up.
— Unknown