z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Last Sketch

by nrrc102


He walked up to the stairs feeling the cold breeze in his face. It was drizzling slightly but that seemed to be the last of his worries. He had never felt like this in his life before. It all started by the tenth standard. He was an above average student but that was it to him. He did not score the high marks like his other friends did. He did not want to be an engineer or a doctor. He just needed some time to decide. 

Hellbent by his father he spent 9 hours a day studying for his tenth grade but all he could manage was a 74.6. His father was disappointed but besides the silent treatment he didn't dwell much into it as he seemed busy though his mother would put a rant every morning. 

To overcome the sense of failure he often stayed put in his room drawing sketches till he felt better. He liked sketching but he dared to word it out lest his father would rage a tempest. One day his father announced that he had arranged his 11th in the non-medical stream to fulfill his son's dream. He knew it was his father's dream not his.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:21 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Wow, this short vignette took an interesting turn at the end.

Now I'm a bit confused maybe by the language of 10th versus 11th standard and then that last sentence: "it was his father's dream not his"

but did the father decide to make the son pursue something outside of his artistic dreams? That's too bad if he did, because his real passion was with the art!


One aspect I really enjoyed in this short story was how in the beginning you open with this image of a storm - drizzling on the speaker's face and the breeze surrounding him. You paint this image of a storm. And then later in the third paragraph you actually compare the father to a storm!

he dared to word it out lest his father would rage a tempest


I like that continuity that you opened with a storm and then compared the father to one as well - making the point that like a storm, the father was unpredictable and all-surrounding for his child.

My main critique of this story is I'd love a bit more development into the story. For instance, why exactly did the son love drawing his sketches so much? What did he draw? What was the Father's motivation for treating him poorly and pushing him in a way he didn't want to go?

Characters, like real people, always have these backstories and lives of their own that motivate their decisions. To let the reader learn a bit about their motivations, helps us to connect to the characters and want to cheer them on or empathize with them.

You're really good at painting a setting too - as I can see with the first two sentences and the rain storm. I wish you'd bring this sort of poetic descriptive language to the rest of you story as well, especially if the story is going to have a lot of academic information and numbers in it, there needs to be a little bit of the light descriptive elements to give the reader a break.

Overall, an interesting little plot cooked into three paragraphs. I'd love to see you continue to work with and develop this story and see what you can do! :)

Never stop writing!

~alliyah

Image




User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:19 am
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hi @Tsunami here!
WOW!! This short is full of emotions. I really like it. If you don't mind me saying but this would be a grate story. You have a great plot, and i can just see this being a great story, But that is up to you. I just hope your thinking about it.

I can tell by the way you've written your story that your main character doesn't have a good relation ship with his parents, and that just makes me sad because i no how they are feeling.

But there is one thing I would like to ask. I would like to no what he looks like. I think you could fit that in the first paragraph! I just think that would give your reader a better idea of how he looks. Unless it is up to the reader to decide how they think he looks.

If you don't agree then you don't need to change anything.
But over all I just loved reading this work. It was just amazing. I hope you keep writing. You have real potential.

You friend @Tsunami.



Random avatar
nrrc102 says...


thank you for the ideas. such words make me motivated to keep writing.





Your welcome.



User avatar
542 Reviews


Points: 41664
Reviews: 542

Donate
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:48 am
Liminality wrote a review...



Hi! I like the idea behind this story – it’s very relevant to today’s society.

However, I think you might need to work on using more emotive language to express yourself. You state a lot of facts, such as “he spent 9 hours a day studying” and “all he could manage was a 74.6”, which makes the writing seem a little bit flat. You could maybe try writing using more imagery, similar to how you use “rage a tempest” in your last paragraph.
“He spent 9 hours a day studying” instead could be “Every day, he wore himself to the bone poring over his textbooks, straining his dark-ringed eyes to the limit.”

Another cool trick to engage the reader would be to vary your sentence structure. I noticed you tend to use “and” and “but” a lot in your writing. Maybe you could try using a few complex sentences with your compound ones? For example:

“Spurred on by his father, he wore himself to the bone poring over his textbooks, straining his dark-ringed eyes to the limit – and yet he barely scraped together a 74.6. Weeks of silence ensued between them. Although the man pretended not to dwell on it, the disappointment would ooze from him each time they sat together at the breakfast table. Meanwhile, his mother resorted to ranting and nagging as she gathered her things for work.”

Besides this, you create a setting in the first paragraph (somewhere high up, under the rain) that the character doesn’t go back to by the last paragraph. For a short story, this is slightly jarring. I think your story could benefit from that setting, for example by adding a few lines like this:
“The announcement had come one day: his father had arranged the boy’s 11th in the non-medical stream – to fulfil his son’s dream, he’d said. Leaning against the railing, he let the slowly-building rainfall run against his skin. He knew it was his father’s dream, not his.”
The setting can help to set the mood, which is vital for a short piece.

Wow, this got long! I hope you find these comments helpful for your writing. Good luck with your future work – and keep it up! :D



Random avatar
nrrc102 says...


ill keep that in mind. thanks for the review.



Liminality says...


You're welcome.



User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 344
Reviews: 126

Donate
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:14 am
Aleta wrote a review...



Hey nrrc102! I'll just get straight into reviewing.

I thought this was kinda short and the actual story itself would be better if there was more detail and setting involved. Ex: his name, what his school looked like, the place where he was walking to, or what his room looked like or what he drew. A description of the character would also make your story better too. As far as things that could be improved, I'll point some out.

"He had never felt like this in his life before."

This would be better as:
He had never felt like this before.

"To overcome the sense of failure he often stayed put in his room drawing sketches till he felt better."

This would be better as:
To overcome the sense of failure, he often stayed in his room drawing sketches until he felt better."

Besides this, I felt like it would be kind of hard for the reader to connect or feel anything for your story just because a good amount of things are left out. Anyways, hope I helped! :)



Random avatar
nrrc102 says...


thank you for the ideas




It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
— Mark Twain