the rebel's dance

by niteowl

we sing in perfect harmony.
there is no rebellion, only peace.
we submit like we were told to as children,
because disobedience breeds discontent.

but we are disrupted by ancient discord
dancing alone on the stage
to another song we have forgotten how to hear.

and yet it calls us with the memory
of its movement, its freedom,
and one by one, singers fall silent and join the dancer.

the peace is gone.
we obey no longer.

A/N: This was inspired by the Poetic Line Generator: "the old ones of discord reach like a dancer alone on the stage"

Virgil wrote a review...

This is Nikayla here for a review as promised!

What an interesting line to get from the Poetic Line Generator. Nonetheless, let's jump right into the review! I also find it odd that you didn't happen to start with this line which is something that I haven't really thought of all that much. The first stanza kicks off with singing, and it describes to what seems to be a choir, or at least that's how I interpreted it. The first stanza isn't all that strong to me in terms of imagery, but it does set up a strong feeling of the "we" in the poem having to submit to something and them not really seeing it from any other perspective their whole lives.

The second stanza kicks off with what I'm interpreting to be the main character in a play or musical, or at least someone with a solo. This is one of the stronger parts of the poem and I like it so much because from the perspective of the speaker in the poem, it's something scary and something that they haven't really seen, but really it's just someone with a solo who happens to be singing on their own. It's one of the reasons that I enjoy this poem so much because it contrasts so well with the first stanza.

We find out more in the third stanza that it's actually a dancer though it could be doing both at the same time. I'm interpreting the end to the poem as the singers dancing as well with the dancer or breaking into a dance, which is something that I found to be a strong way to end the poem. I'd suggest putting a comma after the first line in the second-to-last stanza but other than that, I enjoyed this poem and its ending. It's short and to the point, and that works.

I hope I helped and have a great day!

niteowl says...

Thanks for reviewing! :)

It does say in the second stanza that the soloist is dancing. I don't really think a comma fits in the third stanza where you suggested, but I did mess with the lines a little there. Thanks again. :)

Virgil says...

No problem, and yeah, you don't have to follow anything I say about flow sometimes because it was more of just something to consider. I must have also rushed over the part where it says they're dancing, woopsies.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:29 pm
Morrigun wrote a review...

This is an absolutely superb poem!

So, first of all, I have to say that the fact that you took that one line and developed upon it with such beautiful accuracy is amazing. You took a sentence that, while I understand, I don't understand all that well, and you made it into poetry that expresses clear emotion and message. I love the lines "to another song we have forgotten how to hear." and "with the memory of its movement, its freedom," those two lines just hit me hard, especially the first one.

I've personally applied this so society and even a little government, so to me this is an amazing powerful poem telling the world to listen to our hearts and stand up against immorality and "the herd" mindset. It screams to me of expression and individuality, and I believe that's something the world has lost a little.

I can't think of much in the way of criticism, this is just so wonderful I love it. If I had to give anything, I would say in the third line of the first stanza perhaps "as" would fit in place of "like" in "like we were told to as children". And in the third line of the third stanza perhaps "fall" would do better in place of "grow" in "singers grow silent". However those are just small things I think would make this sound better, and to be perfectly honest I don't think it needs much of changing at all.

Thank yo so much for writing this poem. It is beautiful, you are wonderful. Write on!

niteowl says...

Thanks for reviewing! I'm glad you liked it. I did replace "grow" with "fall", though I prefer "like" instead of "as" in the first stanza.

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon