Writer's Block

by niteowl

I wrote this sometime last year (I didn't put down the date) about my struggle with writer's block.

Oh how I long
to pick up my pencil
and let words flow
tonight.

How my ears
wish to hear
the lovely scratch
of lead against paper
forming words
tonight.

How my hands,
my mind,
my soul,
long to dance
with pencil and paper
to an eternal tune.

I want this now.
I need it.
And yet
when I try,
it all stops.

I look upon the paper.
Clean white paper
begging me to dirty it
with gray scribbles.

Rather than racing
And demanding it be heard,
My mind has come
To A.
Dead.
Stop.

The desire is useless,
like having a fortune
in counterfeit money.

When will this torture end?
Eating away
at my imagination
piece by hated piece.

Will I ever create like I used to?

xanthan gum wrote a review...

this was flowly and sort of musical sounding, but i didn't favor the repitition of "tonight" as the last word in the first two stanzas. it was too redundant and, i'm sorry to say, lacked the effect you were proabably trying to convey. parts i liked:

The desire is useless,
like having a fortune
in counterfeit money.

Eyes wrote a review...

It's very musical ... you kinda want to sing it!! It's really good 'cause it captures that feeling of desperation and annoyance very well...

Rather than racing
And demanding it be heard,
My mind has come
To A.
Dead.
Stop.

I love that!! It's really good, flowing :wink:

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:06 am
randy says...

Good stuff.

I know how ya feel :/

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil